New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [4E] Adventures in Fallcrest - IC

DM Post

The halfling stares at Lucan for a moment, before hanging his head."We slit his throat, and dropped him in the river.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

There is a beat before the Shepherd comments.

"Oh."

The chirp and twitter of the birds fill the silence, flitting about merrily like tiny twinkling bells in the darting rays of sunlight.

"That does complicate things."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC ranger

"It does make things more difficult," Lucan says. "But before we discuss it, there is something I need to ask."

He turns to the halfling with a serious expression. "I have been pondering a question, Master Halfling, that I am hopeful that you can answer. What, pray tell, is a whole ling?"

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: You knew this was coming sooner or later, didn't you?
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-23 at 12:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

"It would be easier if you hadn't gone through with it, though you'd likely be dead yourself if you weren't, and your disgust with it shows remorse, at least," Eltain says. "We'll get to the bottom of things, don't worry." His voice carries neither judgement or threat. He flinches at Lucan's question and leans over to whisper into the halfling's ear.

"Just make something up for him to please him, or we'll probably have to listen to him questioning why they call your race halflings if there's no such thing as a ling."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Halfling gives Eltain a look of gratitude, and then pauses to think. After a few moments, a smile creeps across his face, and he turns to Lucan. "The Lings were an anceint and noble race, created first by the gods before all other races. They invented magic, and swords, and building, and were so amazing, that the gods got upset that all the other creatures they had made like elves and dwarves and humans couldn't compete. The Lings felt bad that they had made the gods and all their other attempts at creation look stupid, so they decided that each and every Ling would split himself into two creatures, each only half as perfect and amazing as a Ling."

He gives Eltain a sideways look, before shifting his gaze back to Lucan. "And that's where halflings came from. Because we didn't want to keep making the rest of you look bad."

The halfling has definately sobered up some by this point, and he quickly returns to the matter at hand. "So, do we have a place I can hide out for a while?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-23 at 03:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC cleric

Lucan ponders this for a moment. It occurs to him that the halfling may not be telling the truth.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight - (1d20+6)[25]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-23 at 10:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

@Lucan
    The story does seem a bit one sided. You think this is probably just the version of the story that halflings tell to their children.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan nods sagely. It is unlikely that the halfling knows any better, and he does not want to insult his beliefs. He supposes that half lings must have split off from whole ones long in the past, for their origins to have faded into such an idealized legend.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-23 at 11:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil makes mental note of the temple. If the dwarf is in on it, he had better be close by when Pavick shows up tonight. If not, then surely a Bahamutan cleric wouldn't mind letting an adventurer use his temple as a stakeout point for a counter-ambush, would he?

"Thank you, master dwarf. I will be stopping by a bit later, I have to visit some friends first."

With that, he bows and walks out of the temple. He wanders purposefully about the Omegamatic city, looking for the rest of his friends, succeeding with the aid of the power of PLOT.

10. - Top - End - #190

This is most interesting to Shep, in fact, he says just that.

"This is most interesting. I was indeed curious, I will admit."

He shakes his great bearded head and opens his mouth to speak as a thought dawns on him. If whole lings were able to split themselves in the past due to being superior in every way to the mortal races, this of course would mean they could put themselves back together. The picture he forms in his head is truly ghastly. A halfling twice its normal size with two heads, four eyes and arms, 20 wiggling fingers and two gaping mouths! How horrid! He shuts his mouth posthaste; he does not wish to frighten his companions.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Lucan, Eltain, Shep, and the Halfling (whose name they still haven't asked), make their way into the middle of the city, they stumble into an open square just to the north of the docks, just as Aramil enters the square from the south. There's a moment of awkward staring, only to be interupted as Pavrick emerges from an alley to the south, after having taken a back alley out of the docks area while searching for somewhere to lay low.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan, tiring of awkward staring, turns back to the halfling. "I apologize if I have already asked this, but could you tell us your name?" he says.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Halfling shrugs. 'sok, my memory still is a bit fuzzy. The name is Lambert. He sticks out a hand, but then hesitates as he sees Pavrick and Aramil. "Er...friends of yours, I hope?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick's back suddenly stiffens as he sees the rest of the group along with one of the people from the bar. "What's he doing here? I hope he doesn't recognize me and turn me in. Wait, if the others are with him, they have to have some reason. Maybe they're getting some good info out of him." After doing a little mental figuring, he relaxes a little and moves toward the others.

He approaches the group with a bit of a strut to his step. "Yep, we're all friends around here. So what've you all been up to?" he asks.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

"We met Lambert," Lucan says. "He, uh, knows some things. And people want to kill him for it."
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-26 at 03:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

"Even though he is also very lucky." The Shepherd finishes for Lucan. "...things are just so confusing today..."
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-03-26 at 06:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick gives the halfing a sideways glance. "Doesn't sound so lucky to me." He shakes his head. "Maybe Shep thinks he's another gnome. Best not to correct him. Otherwise we'll end up on the half a ling vs. whole ling debate again. Yep, we'll just let that one slide," he thinks.

"So are you trying to get him somewhere safe then?" he asks.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"We could take him to Rex's place. Tell him he's willing to cooperate in return for protection."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

"I concur. It seems like the most reasonable option." He turns to the halfling. "That way we can try to help you, and try to take down the people who dragged you into this mess."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick lets out a snort. "A reasonable option perhaps, though from the sounds of things not a particularly reasonable man we're sending him to. Didn't he say some members of his own household killed themselves rather than be questioned. Oh well, if he is willing to answer Rex's questions he'll probably be better off there than out here on the streets."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

"It sounds good to me," Lucan says.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Lambert pauses to think it over. "Well...if you can promise my protection, I guess..." His musings are suddenly cut off by a second voice

"I'm afraid we can't let you do that." A second halfling apears in a doorway. Aramil recognizes him as the halfling he spoke to in the bar earlier. "Just send him along with us, and there won't be any trouble." He gives a whistle, and a number of creatures step out of nearby doorways and alleys, mostly human, although it looks like a half-orc or two might have joined. They all appear armed.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I'm sorry, but I believe you are the ones who should leave."

Aramil holds out his hand, and his sword flies out of its scabbard and into his hand.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan unlimbers his bow, and says, "If you leave now, you may live. I suspect you've already seen how good a shot I am. My companions are just as skilled." He scans the shadows for anyone they may have missed.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate - (1d20+6)[24]
    Perception - (1d20+10)[28]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-29 at 04:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

A few of the humans look at each other worriedly, but a grin spreads across the halfling's face. "Get 'Em"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

So, I think the plan will be rather than have each person roll initiative individually, we'll have to PCs act in order of initiative (assumed taking 10), and then the enemies act in order of initiative. This should help with some of the odd delays that tend to happen in PbP combat. I'll post a map later this evening. Feel free to discuss strategy in the OOC Thread. Sound ok?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM POST

Battle Overview:

You find yourself at a T-intersection in the middle of town. There are two buildings on the East side of the square that the enemies have stepped out of. The one to the north appears to be a private residence, while the one further south looks to be some sort of pottery shop. A set of stairs leads up to the roof where a number of pots are set out on display.

To the Northwest: a square, yellow tent serves as shade for a pair of farmers selling various fruit. Next to it, a small shrine to Melora stands, with an outstretched bowl to accept coppers for the poor. To the southwest, a brightly colored purple and white tent stands (typically the colors of those in the winery business).

Three of the humans appear to be little more than common thugs (M1, N5, L14), but one clearly moves with the grace and speed of a warrior (J15). The halfling, Patsy, brandishes a sword as he steps out of the doorway (M4), and in the alley a huge half-orc hefts his greataxe with a grin (N8). On the rooftop, halfway hiding behind some pots, a second half-orc stares at you with a grim look, her staff and robes hinting that she casts some sort of magic (O12). In addition, Lucan spies an additional human lurking far to the south next to a donkey, a wand in his hand (N16)

Lambert wastes no time in scrambling into the fruit tent to hide. The farmers in the tent see what's about to transpire, and quickly join him in hiding.

The Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Token Key
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:
    PC
    Eltain (H8)
    Shepherd (I7)
    Lucan (H5)
    Aramil (H11)
    Pavrick (F9)

Enemies
    Patsy (M4)
    Half-Orc Warrior (N8)
    Human Warrior (J15)
    Half-Orc Caster (O12)
    Human Thugs (M1, N5, L14)
    Human Mage (N16)
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-30 at 10:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan immediately targets Patsy as the most dangerous enemy on the field. He looses an arrow with a quick verse of haunting song, and as he feels the magic thrum through the arrow, the future is clear in his mind's eye. Even as the arrow strikes home, he sees that future change.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard
    Attack Patsy with Prophesied Strike
    Attack v AC - (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage - (1d10+5)[12]
    If it hits (and it probably does), the next person to attack Patsy rolls attack twice and uses either (so use something big, if possible--your to hit chance just went up considerably).
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-30 at 01:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

As the situation spins into ugliness, a strange phrase pops up into Shep's head, spoken by a voice he has never heard before.

"When the going gets tough, somebody hold my rodent!"

Shep scratches his chin, what a funny thing to say. He doesn't have a rodent, why, he has a dog. And it would be the very opposite, when the going gets tough, somebody call my dog. Shep shrugs, it isn't the strangest thing that's happened today. He puts his forefinger and thumb into his mouth and blows, creating an ear-shattering whistle that echoes through the marketplace.

One of the baskets of fruit in the nearby shade of the overhanging tent begins to rumble. A few apples bounce loose as the contents of the basket turn turbulent and they roll down the avenue. With a sudden and triumphant burst, the basket explodes into a shower of red-golden fruit as a great shaggy black dog bursts from inside. It soars into the air, the sun catching its shiny black fur, its white underbelly a little ruffled but no worse for wear. It lands on white paws, like little doggie-socks, and bounds jubilantly over to the Shepherd. Upon reaching its master it sits on its haunches, panting, and licks Shep's hand.

Shep stares down at his faithful pet with pursed lips.

"How did you get in there?"
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-03-30 at 12:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Shep sets his eyes on Patsy, sizing him up. For all he knows, there is another halfling waiting right around the corner to combine with him, and then they'd have a Wholeling on their hands. He shudders at the thought.

He whistles again to his sheep dog, and points to Patsy. With a small yip, they both take off towards him on light feet. A chill frost begins to form over the blade of Shep's heavy sword as he runs, and he glares at Patsy disapprovingly, as if he were a misbehaving goat. He hefts his sword in an arcing motion as the dog flanks the halfling from the side.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action
    He and the sheep dog move to engage Patsy.
    Minor Action
    Declaring Hunter's Quarry on Patsy
    Free Action
    Activating the daily power on Shep's Frost Bastard Sword +1
    Standard Action
    Attack Patsy with Paired Predators
    Shep's Attack Roll #1 vs AC: (1d20+9)[18]; Shep's Attack Roll #2 (Due to Lucan's attack) vs AC: (1d20+9)[18]
    Shep's Damage: (2d10+6)[16] plus (1d6)[6] Hunter's Quarry damage plus (1d8)[8] cold damage.
    Dog's Attack Roll #1 vs AC: (1d20+7)[13]; Dog's Attack Roll #2 (Provided, since they're both attacking on the same power he can reroll too, if not, discount this roll) vs AC: [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    Dog's Damage (1d8+4)[12]
    If Shep's attack hits, Patsy is also slowed until the end of Shep's next turn.
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-03-30 at 01:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

(Sorry, didn't seem to roll that second attack for the dog. Lemme repost that.)

Spoiler
    Show

Second Attack Roll for Dog (1d20+7)[17]