New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: NarutoITP OOC IV: Exam Time! Shouldn't Hurt a Bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    No, I'm saying I'd like to play a character who is basically a puppet with human mind, brain and other organs can be added if people think they are needed.
    The actual personality will very likely be completely different from Sasori as I don't usually play depressing characters.

(I know that, but some of his advantages and disadvantages are similar to those of a puppet)
    What if it's something like Pain? His own body is practically paralysed, so he interacts with people through a puppet.

Or... Puppet Jinchuuruki.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-03-01 at 03:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post

Edit:Regarding 3rd exam: Isn't that still something like a month away, in game time?
    Yeah...and for some reason, I thought Urama and Chains were supposed to "head off towards the exams and watch them" or something, which is not possible for a while yet.

No, I'm saying I'd like to play a character who is basically a puppet with human mind, brain and other organs can be added if people think they are needed.

Alright, so to be clear: is this character supposed to be a human who made himself/got turned into a puppet like Sasori, or a puppet with an artificial brain and organs put into it, and thus is a ninja version of Pinnochio?

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Anyways, are we supposed to answer the tenth question which is yet unmentioned.. how?
    I'm assuming that we're supposed to wait for Callos' post.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-03-01 at 03:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

One can be serious about Evangelion without being GRIMLY so?

Anyways, are we supposed to answer the tenth question which is yet unmentioned.. how?
    The 10th question will be revealed in due course. Callos will reveal all!

@Prime: That's not a bad idea. I could get behind that, especially if he only controls 1 body (though having alternates and spares only makes sense).

Maybe he can't even talk except through the puppet?
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Alright, so to be clear: is this character supposed to be a human who made himself/got turned into a puppet like Sasori, or a puppet with an artificial brain and organs put into it, and thus is a ninja version of Pinnochio?
    I would say more like a ninja version of Astro Boy, since there's a decent chance this guy will have machineguns in his butt.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: NarutoITP OOC IV: Exam Time! Shouldn't Hurt a Bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    What if it's something like Pain? His own body is practically paralysed, so he interacts with people through a puppet.
    Stop. Spoiling. My. fun. Literally, I don't know any character named Pain but I'm pretty sure it's a canon one.

And I think that would be a bit too powerful, if he's paralysed then he could be anywhere when the puppet is in battle. Plus it would just be a puppet then.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-03-01 at 03:24 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    @Prime: That's not a bad idea. I could get behind that, especially if he only controls 1 body (though having alternates and spares only makes sense).

Maybe he can't even talk except through the puppet?
    But in the end...isn't that basically just Sasori again? Without his puppets, Sasori is just a cylindrical block with flesh in it, and thus he needs his puppets to move around, talk, etc.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I technically already know the answer due to Rei haxx IC, but I was asking this more out of consideration for others.

I could personally care less, this is a very non consequential part of the exams, and is mostly a buffer to keep out the total failures if Naruto passing it is any clue.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Stop. Spoiling. My. fun. Literally, I don't know any character named Pain but I'm pretty sure it's a canon one.
    I said like Pain. Pain isn't even a puppet user.

And I think that would be a bit too powerful, if he's paralysed then he could be anywhere when the puppet is in battle. Plus it would just be a puppet then.
    If it's too powerful then make his range of control short, or require him to control the puppet from inside.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I said like Pain. Pain isn't even a puppet user.
    I don't know if you know this, Prime, but Keveak is...behind on the manga. He has yet to get to the part where Pain's secrets are revealed, so we have to take care of spoiling things for him.

@ Kasanip: Who's Kanna? I don't recall seeing this character anywhere on the character registry or the wiki.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post
    I would not be playing at slapstick humor with him. More of a character whose premise is so outlandish that it can't possibly be played straight, but is anyways. I mean... It's a freaking cat that summons butterflies that has legends told of him.
    But that's precisely the problem: A character like that being played at all, straight or not, is a joke in and of itself. From the sounds of it, his entire purpose is to go against his own background and species; You've stated several times that he would almost certainly never make use of his amazing powers or legendary summons, as well as staying well clear of the main plot. So, if that's the case, why make him amazingly powerful in the first place? If his role when all's said and done is going to be a snarky, mischievous talking cat then why not simply make him into that?

Assigned roles aside, the idea of giving a character power and fame on that level purely as a gimmick just doesn't seem appropriate. Maintaining a meaningful sense of scale is hard enough in a freeform RP without things like this throwing it out of proportion. And, whatever the original intention, it probably will end up having that effect.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The former, I have no intend of playing a whiny sociopathic puppet who kills stuff because it annoys him... Unless you meant Disney Pinocchio? In which case I don't want to play that either.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, I technically already know the answer due to Rei haxx IC, but I was asking this more out of consideration for others.

I could personally care less, this is a very non consequential part of the exams, and is mostly a buffer to keep out the total failures if Naruto passing it is any clue.
    Uh...pretty sure you don't know the answer. Since it isn't on the test. And hasn't been asked. And is likely different from years before.

Unless Callos let something slip on that one.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

I assumed "Knew all the questions before hand" included the tenth, but if I'm assuming wrong. Eh, stuff happens.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Halfling in the Playground

A legitimate point, Anyr. So I guess... What is the point of any background information unless it directly affects stuff IC? My reasoning behind having him be really powerful was simply that I wanted a character that is renowned enough that just about everybody would have heard of him, even if only by way of legends and tales. And while that doesn't necessarily require him to be super strong, it is hard to think of another reason a ninja would be universally known in the Naruto world aside from being powerful. The other reason I wanted him high powered was that it allows the character to do as he pleases and exist in whatever state of ridiculous apparent weakness he does without having him be vulnerable to just about everything as a result. That, and what point is there to playing an unknown cat with little or no power in a world full of ninja?

TL;DR: Making him powerful provides a way for him to be very well known and makes it so he has significance despite being a somewhat silly character.

EDIT: In the canon, the tenth question didn't exist. I assumed it would be something similar in this one.
    Last edited by Purple Rose; 2010-03-01 at 03:39 PM.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

A legitimate point, Anyr. So I guess... What is the point of any background information unless it directly affects stuff IC? My reasoning behind having him be really powerful was simply that I wanted a character that is renowned enough that just about everybody would have heard of him, even if only by way of legends and tales. And while that doesn't necessarily require him to be super strong, it is hard to think of another reason a ninja would be universally known in the Naruto world aside from being powerful. The other reason I wanted him high powered was that it allows the character to do as he pleases and exist in whatever state of ridiculous apparent weakness he does without having him be vulnerable to just about everything as a result. That, and what point is there to playing an unknown cat with little or no power in a world full of ninja?

TL;DR: Making him powerful provides a way for him to be very well known and makes it so he has significance despite being a somewhat silly character.

EDIT: In the canon, the tenth question didn't exist. I assumed it would be something similar in this one.

How much of an impact on the story do you wish for Neko to have? Do you want him to be, ultimately, a shaker and mover, or be a sideline commentator who observes but does little else? If it's the latter, he doesn't really need awesome powers to continue to exist and be well known, I think.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Or maybe he used to have enormous powers... before he discovered sake.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-03-01 at 03:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

How much of an impact on the story do you wish for Neko to have? Do you want him to be, ultimately, a shaker and mover, or be a sideline commentator who observes but does little else? If it's the latter, he doesn't really need awesome powers to continue to exist and be well known, I think.
    Yeah. If he's a sarcastic commentator, maybe he's less "triple S rank powerhouse" and more "holy crap it's a talking cat that's been around forever!".

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Political power, perhaps?

Or maybe he just survived many battles and is an experiensed fighter without being overly powerful?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

See, with the combination of the following:

Extreme power
    Fame/Infamy

And with the goal of him going around doing as he pleases with no one being able to evict him due to his great power (and knowing about it due to his great fame), it's going to be almost impossible to not have some sort of impact on the main plot, because wherever he goes, trouble, or at the very least very high tension, will probably follow.

Or, if he's not going to have much of an impact on the plot at all...why all the powers? Why not just give him the ability to be super stealthy and observe everything?

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeez, talk about explosive growth...

Kevaek's Puppet Character: There's been a living puppet character in canon and, the feelings of the individuals commenting on Sasori notaccounted for, was somewhat explained to make more sense in the canon then just leaving it as a 'no, I won't explain it, he's a living puppet!'. Personally I have no real problems with the idea myself until I see the character itself. I suggest, politely, that those with misgivings about living puppets (on their tech level and whatnot) at least wait that long before offering up criticism on the idea. Good writing can make any idea seem better and Kevaek should be given that chance.

Purple Rose: If I might offer a suggestion to get the same feel without being super-powered kitty ninja? If Neko was a cat who knew...many many things about the shinobi world such as the effects of forbidden jutsu, inner workings of different villages, and things of that nature then he could claim the same infamy that you are aiming at without being able to USE any of those techniques and whatnot. A cat ninja alone is a very striking thing that would likely leave a lasting memory in the minds of those who met him, but if said cat-ninja also had an almost encyclopedic knowledge of jutsu then he'd quickly become famous plus almost untouchable in combat to any sane individual. With such knowledge, any properly thinking person or leader would almost always designate him a 'capture on sight' or informant rather then kill him and remove that great source of knowledge. Combine with almost unassailable escaping prowess and...well...There you go.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2010-03-01 at 04:02 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #561

The third (proverbially, as at least that many have been offered so far) option is to leave him almost entirely undefined in terms of power and ability, stating only that he is extremely well known in the ninja world. Granted, the thing I'm not sure I'm making clear is that his power is entirely OOC. The only reason it is even in the character write up I did is because I figure the players, not the characters, mind, would want to know what kind of capabilities he had before giving the go ahead.

Feasibly, a character entry that looks like this:

Name: Nakamura Neko
    Classification: ???
    Height: ~14"
    Weight: ~12 lbs.
    Affiliation: Konohagakure (The World, baby! Specifically the Woman of the World)

Appearance: Neko is a gray tabby cat with an extra toe on each of his front paws. He has some evidence of fighting on his body, notably a notch missing from his right ear. Small scars mark his body, but most are hidden beneath his fur, however. Tied around his neck, most of the time, is a Konaha forehead guard.

Human: If he has a human form, it would definitely be a ruggedly manly man, oldish, but still good looking, with square jaw sporting unshaven, but not lazily so, stubble-beard. Very dark gray hair(almost black) run through with streaks of lighter gray hair, shortish, but long enough to be spiked. A predatory grin filled with sharp teeth and feline eyes looking for a good time or a good fight. He would, assuming he even has a human form, wear a dark gray vest over a stylish black shirt. Stylish but more importantly functional pants held up with a cloth belt and ninja shoes finish out this hypothetical outfit. Again, there is no way to tell if he can even make himself a human, as you would be hard pressed to find a living soul who could even say they have seen him in any form other than his natural cat one.

Personality: In a few words: aloof, perverted, laid-back, carefree, attention craved, the opposite of srs bsnss.

Bloodline: ???
    Abilities:

Ninjutsu: ???

Taijutsu: ???

Genjutsu: ???

Chakra Control: ???

Weapon Skills: Claws, teeth. He is good with them.

Contract: It is rumored he summons butterflies.

Notable Techniques: ???

Background: Not much is known about Neko other than that he is known just about everywhere. He is older than most Kages and it is said he has trained his fair share of ninja in his time. But a while back he vanished from the world, slipping into obscurity and legend. Myths abound about him, his capabilities, his achievements, deeds, conquests, adventures and countless left behind lovers from all over the world. It is hard to say how much is true and how much is purely fiction, especially as the cat himself has not been seen in decades. It is rumored that he himself is long dead, with only the tales of his exploits living on.
    and have all the same relevant IC information, but I felt that if I had posted that first, people would have been asking for more details.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

I finally caught up! Whew!

Gone for 12 hours and 2 1/2 pages pop up.

So for the cat, I like the idea of a humor character, however, I don't think he needs to be that powerful. Maybe he just has a special jutsu that extended his life instead. I really don't see the point of having an unstoppable character walking around and not doing anything with the power he's got. That's the road to temptation of the plot. So if you make it just a talking cat that has lived a long time instead, I would be more comfortable with it, Rose.

And as for this sentient puppet thing. I think that maybe there's a special program scroll in it's head that enables it to be alert and thus move basicly. However, he can't increase his abilities, since he's not or has never been human, and can move on it's own like a "normal human" (As in, can't really jump around as a ninja. Is practically a person who has never used their chakra network. (Which is everyone who is not a ninja)). However, he has a human puppet master which uses him the same way with chakra strings. The way I propose is that the puppet can assist in the actions that the puppet master is indicating and thus increase reaction time. Also, the puppet master has someone to talk to when he's alone. And for a weakness, if both the puppet and the master decide to do 2 different things, chaos insures and they start arguing.

That's my thought on the whole concept.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-03-01 at 04:11 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

I forgot another issue. The tenth question has not been asked yet, but it will soon. No, Rei couldn't give Kurotou the answer because it wasn't part of the written test. No it is not the same as previous years nor the same as the canon.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Hey 13, can we have a list of who still needs to post in the exam so we can yell at them mercilessly?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Does this cat, by any chance, have two tails? Maybe it shows up in peoples' dreams to give them advice, then makes fun of what they're dreaming about.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    And as for this sentient puppet thing. I think that maybe there's a special program scroll in it's head that enables it to be alert and thus move basicly. However, he can't increase his abilities, since he's not or has never been human, and can move on it's own like a "normal human" (As in, can't really jump around as a ninja. Is practically a person who has never used their chakra network. (Which is everyone who is not a ninja)). However, he has a human puppet master which uses him the same way, but with chakra strings. The way I propose is that the puppet can assist in the actions that the puppet master is indicating and thus increase reaction time. Also, the puppet master has someone to talk to when he's alone. And for a weakness, if both the puppet and the master decide to do 2 different things, chaos insures and they start arguing.

Or give the puppet master two personalities and play a ripoff of a Batman villain.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-03-01 at 04:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I forgot another issue. The tenth question has not been asked yet, but it will soon. No, Rei couldn't give Kurotou the answer because it wasn't part of the written test. No it is not the same as previous years nor the same as the canon.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I just assumed she ninja'd it like the others, better to go with general than specific when issues come up in my experience.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

And as for this sentient puppet thing. I think that maybe there's a special program scroll in it's head that enables it to be alert and thus move basicly. However, he can't increase his abilities, since he's not or has never been human, and can move on it's own like a "normal human" (As in, can't really jump around as a ninja. Is practically a person who has never used their chakra network. (Which is everyone who is not a ninja)). However, he has a human puppet master which uses him the same way with chakra strings. The way I propose is that the puppet can assist in the actions that the puppet master is indicating and thus increase reaction time. Also, the puppet master has someone to talk to when he's alone. And for a weakness, if both the puppet and the master decide to do 2 different things, chaos insures and they start arguing.

That result in two characters, though. One who is helpless on his own and one who would benefit much more from making the puppet unable to work against him. It's also quite similar to a summoner.

It's an interesting idea though and I'll consider it
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Hey 13, can we have a list of who still needs to post in the exam so we can yell at them mercilessly?
    IIRC, only Dorizzit's Kai hadn't posted yet, but I believe something was being done about the matter.

FYI, an updated list:

Yasuko (Purple): no cheating, finished test through academic knowledge
    Nero (Silverraptor): no cheating, finished test through academic knowledge; passed info to teammates
    Matsu Moroha (MageSparrow, godmoded by Moon): cheated, used knowledge provided by Tailed Beast
    Tenyama Ryuu (Zersk): no cheating, finished test through academic knowledge
    Fuuyama Ayame (Zersk): cheated, used acute sense of hearing to discern written answers off of Ryuu
    Ito Kaede (Shades): no cheating, finished test through academic knowledge
    Ishida (Innis): no cheating, finished test through academic knowledge
    Yua Rin (Callos): cheated, spied on Tomoya via ninjutsu.
    Aokigami Yuu (Keveak): cheated, received info from teammate Nero
    Kurotou (Fan: this character doesn't seem to be registered anywhere. ): cheated, received info (painfully) from "Momo"
    Watanabe Takeshi (Falgorn): cheated, looked for reflections of papers
    Sunadou Kyougou (Lord Asmodeus): cheated, increased senses
    "Momo"/Rei (not really a genin, but oh well: Callos): cheated, knew answers beforehand
    Kita (Shades of Gray): cheated, sneezed in order to peek at Kaede's paper)
    Iwao (KnightDisciple): cheated, sensed vibrations of how answers were being written--passed info to teammates
    Gan (13_CBS): cheated, got info from Iwao via coded vibrations
    Coro (Silverraptor): cheated, got info from Iwao via coded vibrations
    Raikou Haru (Iceman): cheated, nearby test taker left his paper behind while being escorted out of the room
    Yana (Silver): cheated, used concealed mirror to spy on nearby test taker. Passed info onto teammates via Tanaka's chakra strings
    Tanaka (Knight): cheated, used chakra strings to copy off of Yana. Passed info onto Hayase
    Hayase (13_CBS): cheated, got info from Tanaka via chakra strings

The following genin have not cheated, or otherwise finished their exams:

Kai Arezawa (Dorizzit)
    Nara Hari (OverWilliam): will be handled soon enough.

Edit: I'm still not sure who "Hanna" (by Kasanip) is.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-03-01 at 04:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569

Okay, having seen the general consensus, I shall bend to the will of the rest of the people RPing (you stingy jerks ) and do what- *shudders* -would be more fun and enjoyable to everyone else.

That, and I liked Callos' suggestion.

Name: Nakamura Neko
    Classification: ???
    Height: ~14"
    Weight: ~12 lbs.
    Affiliation: Konohagakure (The World, baby! Specifically the Woman of the World)

Appearance: Neko is a gray tabby cat with an extra toe on each of his front paws. He has some evidence of fighting on his body, notably a notch missing from his right ear. Small scars mark his body, but most are hidden beneath his fur, however. Tied around his neck, most of the time, is a Konaha forehead guard.

Human: If he has a human form, it would definitely be a ruggedly manly man, oldish, but still good looking, with square jaw sporting unshaven, but not lazily so, stubble-beard. Very dark gray hair(almost black) run through with streaks of lighter gray hair, shortish, but long enough to be spiked. A predatory grin filled with sharp teeth and feline eyes looking for a good time or a good fight. He would, assuming he even has a human form, wear a dark gray vest over a stylish black shirt. Stylish but more importantly functional pants held up with a cloth belt and ninja shoes finish out this hypothetical outfit. Again, there is no way to tell if he can even make himself a human, as you would be hard pressed to find a living soul who could even say they have seen him in any form other than his natural cat one.

Personality: In a few words: aloof, perverted, laid-back, carefree, attention craved, the opposite of srs bsnss.

Bloodline: ???
    Abilities:

Ninjutsu: ???

Taijutsu: ???

Genjutsu: ???

Chakra Control: ???

Weapon Skills: Claws, teeth. He is good with them.

Contract: It is rumored he summons butterflies.

Notable Techniques: ???

Background: Not much is known about Neko other than that he is known just about everywhere. He is older than most Kages and it is said he has trained his fair share of ninja in his time. But a while back he vanished from the world, slipping into obscurity and legend. Myths abound about him, his capabilities, his achievements, deeds, conquests, adventures and countless left behind lovers from all over the world. It is hard to say how much is true and how much is purely fiction, especially as the cat himself has not been seen in decades. It is rumored that he himself is long dead, with only the tales of his exploits living on.

To those in the know, Neko's primary contribution to the ninja world comes from his extreme longevity and vast body of knowledge concerning ninja techniques collected over the years. Though he can hold his own in battle, he, much like the cat he is, prefers to lounge around and let the younger folks take care of the hard part.

Most ninja villages have a standing "capture and detain" order on his head, due to the potentially damaging information about them he carries, as well as the wealth of valuable knowledge about the other villages, including knowledge lost to the rest of the world. It's a good thing he is mostly likely dead, or else that kind of thing could get tiresome for a cat his age.
    Last edited by Purple Rose; 2010-03-01 at 04:22 PM.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, having seen the general consensus, I shall bend to the will of the rest of the people RPing (you stingy jerks ) and do what- *shudders* -would be more fun and enjoyable to everyone else.
    'Tis the price of playing in a team game.