New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    (Fixes)
    I kept trying to match the class with the monster examples at CR 3, 5 and 8, which ended up being far too much in the hands of a player at level 3, 5, and 8. Thank you very much for the input, especially the SGT. I've switched around a few things but it still needs a fair bit of modification.

The arrowhawk comes from MM. It's also in the srd.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    True, but when I showed my roommate, she also thought that they stopped before reaching level 7. To make it clearer, I might suggest stating that Redcap cohorts advance until level 6 in the Redcap class and no further, but thereafter multiclass into an appropriate class (or even, perhaps, restricting to the warrior NPC class).

I think two cohorts might be a bit much. Economy of actions is a big part of D&D balance, and you're effectively tripling your mileage in combat. Because redcaps are fairly restricted in what they can offer (tending towards melee-ish types), the DM can't in good conscience insist that the Redcap keep his cohorts for out-of-combat roles only. It's an awkward situation.

Bloody Cap is still far too good, IMHO. The ghoul, by contrast, gets only the temporary hp, and there's an associated drawback.
    I did check the ghoul.

The ghoul's feeding drawback is reminiscent of the inescapable craving rules for undead in LM. On the other hand, the temporary hit points last for a total of 40 hours before they all run out and the ghoul has to renew them by killing something else. Furthermore, the ghoul is a very short class (which is an advantage in my opinion), and has all the benefits of the undead type, which vastly outweight the fey type (which has more drawbacks than benefits for a PC, specially a melee one: Not eligible for Enlarge Person).

Further, the ghoul gains only hit points, but he gains 2,5 times the amount of hit points the Redcap gains, with a similarly higher cap. The only part of the redcap's bloody cap that scales are the temporary hit points, the attack, save and skill bonuses do not scale, to build them up to maximum (half HD) you have to keep killing stuff, lots and lots of sutff (10 CR 18+ creatures at level 20 for the full benefit). And at the end of the day, it all goes away.

As for the second cohort, I guess it might be too much, but it is not unique, the Thrallherd did it first (which is, in fact, a terrible argument because thrallherd is up there among the strongest PrCs around).

I could write more guidelines for the cohort but I feel that imposing such kinds of limits is more of a DM's call, they should follow all the same rules as other cohorts.

And if the DM does not want cohorts in his game at all (which is more common than limiting cohort class choices), the seventh level is, again, completely skippable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The ghoul's feeding drawback is reminiscent of the inescapable craving rules for undead in LM. On the other hand, the temporary hit points last for a total of 40 hours before they all run out and the ghoul has to renew them by killing something else.
    A bonus to attacks, saves and skill checks > temporary HP. Bonus to rolls for 24 hours plus some temporary HP > bonus to temporary HP for however many hours.

Furthermore, the ghoul is a very short class (which is an advantage in my opinion)
    Dunno. You don't have to take every level of a class, as you've acknowledged, and 1 level of Redcap gets you the bloody cap ability, same as 1 level of ghoul gets you feed.

and has all the benefits of the undead type, which vastly outweight the fey type (which has more drawbacks than benefits for a PC, specially a melee one: Not eligible for Enlarge Person).
    Well, I dunno about this. It's harder for an undead PC to heal themselves up, and it's a heck of a lot harder for them to come back when their HP drops to 0. As an adventurer, this does tend to happen. Fey souls aren't obliterated when they depart from the mortal coil, and that's a huge selling point.

Further, the ghoul gains only hit points, but he gains 2,5 times the amount of hit points the Redcap gains, with a similarly higher cap. The only part of the redcap's bloody cap that scales are the temporary hit points, the attack, save and skill bonuses do not scale, to build them up to maximum (half HD) you have to keep killing stuff, lots and lots of sutff (10 CR 18+ creatures at level 20 for the full benefit). And at the end of the day, it all goes away.
    But either way, you're getting bonuses for doing something you'd be doing anyways (killing enemies). At 20th level, even if you're only doing 4 CR20 encounters a day, you're talking about a minimum of +3 to attacks, saves and skill checks by the time you get to the final encounter of the day. That's +15% to your chance to hit, +15% to your chance to avoid a SoD or SoL spell, and so on. You're also getting 40% of the benefit the ghoul gets as far as HP and maximum goes.

Bloody Cap is too strong. I'd suggest taking the theme in a different direction.

I could write more guidelines for the cohort but I feel that imposing such kinds of limits is more of a DM's call, they should follow all the same rules as other cohorts.

And if the DM does not want cohorts in his game at all (which is more common than limiting cohort class choices), the seventh level is, again, completely skippable.
    This type of argument tends to create issues in many homebrew and game design circles. I won't get too deep into it, beyond saying that it shouldn't be a DM's responsibility to bring balance to a class.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Maybe they can only dip their cap in the blood of enemies with more HD than them, and increase the benefit?
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

5. - Top - End - #545

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Maybe they can only dip their cap in the blood of enemies with more HD than them, and increase the benefit?
    The issue with that is that most enemies will have higher HD than you anyways, especially towards higher levels, so that change makes the ability a little more unreliable, while still leaving the core problems there. Know what I mean?

I'd debate simply changing the nature of the bonus. A untyped flat bonus to attacks and saves is a big deal, especially considering the Redcap already gets an enhancement bonus to its weapons (which frees it up to spend gold on non-enhancement enchantments). A bonus to saves isn't negligible either, when a single failed save can take you out of the fight.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

I was considering changing the bonus to a morale bonus, which wouldn't stack with, well, morale bonuses are quite plentiful. Bardic Music for example.

Edit: So I did! Bloody Cap now gives morale bonuses, which, unless you fight a lot each day and stack it up to max, will most of the time be overwritten by bardic music or similar effects.

Also, removed the second cohort and clarified his multiclassing.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-06-02 at 08:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #547

I wouldn't specify that the redcap parent got to decide what the child multiclassed into. They're chaotic, and I'd reword it to leave it more open ended: "The young redcap advances up to sixth level in the redcap monster class before multiclassing into another class he qualifies for. So long as the parent redcap is still alive, the offspring cannot take the 7th level in the redcap racial class."

This leaves DM intervention available without necessitating it.

As for Bloody Cap, I'd suggest leaving the morale bonus, and rewording for clarity by stating: "As a full-round action the redcap can dip his cap in the blood of a living victim gains strength from the suffering caused by the death. Whenever the redcap does so, he gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves and skill checks for 24 hours, this bonus stacks with itself (but not other morale bonuses), but never beyond half of the redcap’s HD (minimum 1)."

Specifying a living victim is only sensible, and prevents arguments with players arguing 'RAW' and trying to dip their heads in skeleton or golem blood.

Clarifying that it doesn't stack with other morale bonuses keeps people from having to check the SRD.

If you're insistent on the Bloody Cap ability as it stands, I'd suggest moving it to a later level (you already get powerful build early, which is a huge selling point) and dropping the temporary health bonus entirely. That's the ghoul's thing, the stat bonus is good enough on it's own, and the elimination of the temporary health makes the class more balanced and easier to keep track of (rather than having two types of duration effects to pay attention to).

Also, glancing over the class, can I ask why he gets dex bonuses? The redcap in the manual has only a +1 dex bonus, and you don't need the dex to fix the class in any way (since you've got natural armor plus light armor proficiency, which is as good or better than heavy/medium armor proficiency). Str bonus is ok to balance out the BAB, con bonus is ok to compensate for lower HD size and to represent his gnarly toughness, but dex bonus doesn't quite fit, IMHO.

If you dropped the dex bonus, you'd be able to move Bloody Cap to level 3, which is otherwise a pretty boring level.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-06-02 at 11:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

I like third level being boring. :P

Anyway, two edits:

1. I used your variant of the wording for the Budding. More contorl to the DM like is the case with all cohorts, I suppose.

2. Bloody Cap, until 6th level in the class, only stacks considering your levels in the racial class. Starting at 6th level it considers all HD. This should prevent Redcap dips (is a six level dip a dip? What about a six level dip in a seven level class?). Also made a change to the effect of clarifying that the morale bonus stacks with itself, but not with other morale bonuses. Temporary HP removed.

I will not make the writing change you mentioned for Bloody Caps for a few reasons. One: constructs and skeletons don't have blood, which is explicitly part of the process of activating Bloody Cap. In the case that it is decided that a construct or undead does have blood (Flesh Golem? Homunculus? Vampire?), I feel it is just plain mean to have a defining class feature be pretty worthless against subsets of enemies (yeah, yeah, rogue, every other splatbook has a means for rogues to sneak attack undead and constructs).

As for the dex bonus, this is a matter of the Elder Redcap, which has a monstrous 22 Str, 21 Dex and 22 Con, IIRC.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-06-02 at 11:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #549

I will not make the writing change you mentioned for Bloody Caps for a few reasons. One: constructs and skeletons don't have blood, which is explicitly part of the process of activating Bloody Cap. In the case that it is decided that a construct or undead does have blood (Flesh Golem? Homunculus? Vampire?), I feel it is just plain mean to have a defining class feature be pretty worthless against subsets of enemies (yeah, yeah, rogue, every other splatbook has a means for rogues to sneak attack undead and constructs).
    Right, but (just playing devil's advocate here) if you're leaving it as a flavor-based interpretation of the process, I can see people arguing that a flesh golem doesn't 'suffer', so there's nothing for the Redcap to partake in. What about bugs - It's ambiguous whether ichor counts. What about enemies with the vile feat Masochism? They enjoy being hurt, so you're not getting any suffering there.

There's a lot of gray areas with the interpretations, and leaving it as is may well create more headaches and frustration than having explicitly stated enemies it doesn't work against.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-06-02 at 11:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I did make a small change to "the suffering and the death". So if you can't feed from the suffering then you can feed from the death.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the werehydra is (96.7%) finished, although HD does not = CR...
    wait... reading lycanthrope entry...

OK, HD does equal hitdice. 12 HD (12 headed Hydra), applied to lycanthrope template as base animal, means +5 CR. add in another, because it's not... quite... an animal type, and that's +6 CR. or, if CR=HD, +6 HD. bingo.

link here. just in case it's needed. can't figure out if it is or not.

I'd add a picture... but I'm a ****ty artist, can't find any online, and my printer's out, to boot.

now that i'm pretty much done with that little experiment... yah, no more monster classes from me. maybe other things, but I'm done here. except maybe requests. but not now.
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-06-04 at 06:37 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a little bit annoyed by the list's lack of Alphabetical order. No offense, it'd just be easier to find everything.

Therefore I present "Probably more work than necessary!"

Tell me if I missed anything.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-05 at 08:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

You did, many here did, for far too long.

It's Zelekhut. Not Zelekhunt. Seriously, that just sounds... Weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

You did, many here did, for far too long.

Ah. Changed now.

Any other finished classes I should edit in?

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW, gestalting a base creature and a template class may be broken....
    way too many abilities too fast.

Also, although i'm probably too late to comment on it, the nerra says it can store stuff in any mirror, including it's own skin. since it's 5 lbs per level, or some such, I have to ask, how much does a nerra weigh?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"This week, on SkineMechs..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    BTW, gestalting a base creature and a template class may be broken....
    way too many abilities too fast.

Also, although i'm probably too late to comment on it, the nerra says it can store stuff in any mirror, including it's own skin. since it's 5 lbs per level, or some such, I have to ask, how much does a nerra weigh?
    Same as a human.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

My version of Beholderkin (at 13th level, you treated as True Beholder)

Edit: Move Finger Death to 10th.

Beholderkin Monster Class:

Spoiler
    Show

HD:d8
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0 |+0 | +2| Beholder body, Bite, Minor Eye powers, All-Around Vision, +1 Con
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+ 0| + 3| Alertness, +1 Cha
    3|+ 2|+ 1|+1 | +3 | Lesser Eye powers, +1 Con, +1 Dex
    4|+ 3|+ 1|+ 1| + 4| +1 Cha, +1 Str
    5|+ 3|+1 |+1 | +4 | Eye Powers, +1 Con,
    6|+ 4|+2 |+ 2| + 5| Improved Flight, +1 Cha, +1 Dex
    7|+ 5|+2 |+ 2| +5 | Medium Eye Powers, Growth,
    8|+ 6|+ 2|+ 2| + 6| Advanced Eye powers, Advanced Arc Firing, +1 Cha, +1 Str
    9| +6| +3|+3 |+6| +1 Con, +1 Dex
    10| +7| +3|+3 |+7 | Greater Eye Powers, +1 Cha,
    11| +8| +3| +3|+7 | +1 Con
    12| +9| +4| +4|+8 | +1 Cha, +1 Dex
    13| +9| +4| +4| +8| Full Eye Powers, +1 Con, True Beholder
    [/table]

Skills: 2+int mod per level, quadruple at 1st level.
    Class skills are Appraise, Concentration, Hide, intimidate, listen, spot, Search, spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana, Planes), Use Magic Device

Proficiencies: Beholderkin are proficient with simple weapons and no armor.
    Features

Beholder body: The Beholderkin loses all other racial bonuses and gains Aberration traits (basically Darkvision 60 ft). It's a medium aberration with 10 feet base speed (it hops) and a Fly speed 10 ft (good). The Fly speed increases to 20 ft as he gains levels.

It also has a bonus to natural armor equal to his Con modifier.

Bite : The Beholderkin has a natural weapon bite attack. It deals 1d6 damage.

Minor Eye powers:
    Eye Rays (Su): Each of a beholderkin's small eyes can produce a magical ray. Eye rays are ranged touch attacks. Each Ray has a Range of 10 Ft +10 ft/HD. Caster level for all eye rays are equal to HD.
    An eye ray only affects one target, even if the spell it is based on affects an area or multiple targets. Saving throws are Charisma-based.
    During a single round, a beholder can aim only three eye rays at targets in any one 90-degree arc (up, forward, backward, left, right, or down). The remaining eyes must aim at targets in other arcs, or not at all. A beholderkin can tilt and pan its body each round to change which rays it can bring to bear in any given arc. As using 1 eye ray is a free action, but the ability to fire multiple rays in an arc is normally a Standard action.

At 1st level Beholderkin can use Mage hand at will. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD + Cha modifier.
    In addition, the beholderkin has Daze and Ray of Frost as a Eye Ray twice per day for each HD it has.
    An Beholderkin who multiclasses for an arcane class can count his ˝ his Beholderkin levels (round up) as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and getting new spell slots.
    So for example, a Beholderkin 5 who took 1 level of sorcerer could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. However, He wouldn't get the spell known and spell slots of a sorcerer 3. He would get the familiar ability, but Beholderkin levels wouldn't count for it.

All-Around Vision (Ex): Beholderkin are exceptionally alert and circumspect. Their many eyes give them a +4 on Search and Spot checks, and they can’t be flanked by creatures with less HD than them.

Ability increase: The Beholderkin gets a permanent bonus of
    +1 Con at levels 1, 3, 5, 9, 11, and 13
    +1 Str at 4th and 8th level
    +1 Dex at 3rd, 6th, and 9th,, and 12th.
    +1 Cha at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12.

Alertness : At 2nd lv, you gain Alertness a bonus feat.

Lesser Eye Powers:
    The Beholderkin at level 3 can now use Sleep and Charm person each 1/day as a Eye Ray for each HD it has. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier.
    Sleep affects 1 creature with 2 HD equal for each HD the Beholderkin has.

Eye Powers:
    The Beholderkin at level 5 can now use Inflict Moderate Wounds (Deal 2d8+10 negative energy damage) and Slow (1 creature only) as a Eye Ray 1/day for each HD it has. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier.

Improved Flight (Ex):
    At 6th, level, his Flight speed increases to 20 ft (good).

Antimagic Ray
    At 6th level, a beholderkin gains the ability to negate magic with its central eye once per rd like Antimagic Field. All magic and supernatural powers and effects within cone are suppressed for that round (including its own eye rays).
    The range of the cone is the same as the range of its eye rays. Each use lasts 1 round and is activated as a free action. The Beholderkin can be use it 2/day for each HD it has.

Medium Eye Powers:
    The Beholderkin at level 7 can now Telekinesis use as a Eye Ray 1/day for each HD it has. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier.

Advanced Arc Firing:
    It can now shoot multiple eye rays as a free action instead of a Standard action.

Advanced Eye Powers:
    the Beholderkin at level 8 can now use Fear (1 creature only) and Charm Monster as a Eye Ray 1/day for each 2 HD it has. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier.

Growth: the Beholderkin grows one size category.

Greater Eye Powers:
    The Beholderkin at level 10 can now use Flesh to Stone and Finger of Death as a Eye Ray 1/day for each 2HD it has. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier.
    Flesh to Stone lasts 1 rd/2 HD until 13th level of the class when it is Instantaneous.

Full Eye Powers:
    The Beholderkin at level 13 can now Disintegrate use as a Eye Ray 1/day for each 2 HD it has. Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier.

True Beholder
    You are now treated as True Beholder instead of just a Beholderkin. This lets you qualifying for Beholder specific classes like Beholder Mage.

Comments :
    Spoiler
    Show

The Beholderkin isn’t easy. It has eye powers; it has no hands .
    Which is why I added Mage Hand, Ray of Frost, and Daze so it has some cantrips at 1st.

The monster class offers less uses of its eye rays, due to fact that each was at will and I figured that was too strong.

Antimagic was kind of hard to factor as it is pretty powerful. Limiting it to 1 rd makes it like Dispel magic, an appropriate level 6 ability.

The Beholder is Charismatic and tough, so it gets bonus to both bigger Con and Cha to help him be both a caster. Thebonus Dex and Str are just to emulate the Beholder better.
    He gets ˝ (round up) caster bonus to multiclasses into an arcane class as he already has formidable power. The reason I round up is no one would like ˝ of a class counting so I let it be 1.5 almost.

I tried my best with balance. If too strong or weak let me know.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Banned

Size increase should involve a speed increase too (unless a 5ft. step means you occupy an entirely new space in accordance to the space your size occupies, if you get what I'm talking about).

I'm thinking:

From Small to Medium = +10ft.
    From Medium to Large = +10ft.
    From Large to Huge = +15ft.
    From Huge to Gargantuan = +20ft.
    From Gargantuan to Collossal = +25ft.
    Effectively: From Medium to Collossal = +70ft.

Does this make sense at all? Perhaps it'd make more sense to rule that speed is measured in spaces that your character occupies rather than feet (diagonal movement equals 1.5 spaces thus every 2 diagonal spaces of movement equals 3 spaces and 1 diagonal space of movement equals 1 space), otherwise it'd get awkward with collossal creatures either being much faster then gargantuan creatures or generally big creatures being slow as a silly archetype. And then there'd be no speed increase/decrease for sizing up/down unless you are shifting from small to medium and vice versa.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-06-07 at 03:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Size increase should involve a speed increase too (unless a 5ft. step means you occupy an entirely new space in accordance to the space your size occupies, if you get what I'm talking about).

I'm thinking:

From Small to Medium = +10ft.
    From Medium to Large = +10ft.
    From Large to Huge = +15ft.
    From Huge to Gargantuan = +20ft.
    From Gargantuan to Collossal = +25ft.
    Effectively: From Medium to Collossal = +70ft.

Does this make sense at all? Perhaps it'd make more sense to rule that speed is measured in spaces that your character occupies rather than feet (diagonal movement equals 1.5 spaces thus every 2 diagonal spaces of movement equals 3 spaces and 1 diagonal space of movement equals 1 space), otherwise it'd get awkward with collossal creatures either being much faster then gargantuan creatures or generally big creatures being slow as a silly archetype. And then there'd be no speed increase/decrease for sizing up/down unless you are shifting from small to medium and vice versa.
    Huh. This does seem to be the way things function in the game. At least from small to large. I don't have a lot of experience with the others.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-07 at 03:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Huh. This does seem to be the way things function in the game. (At least from small to large) Maybe the classes need an edit?
    You mean the speed increase is how things function in the game, or... ?
    ---

Also, the only problem I have with the monster classes is their 'body' special qualities, which actually remove a lot of the incentive for the player to choose many races of LA 0 (like orcs, ie., except for maybe dark vision and swimming for water orcs) and their ability score increases don't always match up to the actual racial bonuses of the LA'd monsters themselves.

I'd suggest including a prefix that states that you can't select a race when choosing a monster class (your race instead is the monster class) and then increase the ability score boosts to actually match up to the LA'd monster when arriving at max level.

I mean that when increasing from small to medium and medium to large most things make your speed go up 10 feet.
    Well, it should be changed to associate speed more with spaces (that your size occupies) rather then feet.

[QUOTE=demidracolich;8648100]Well, the point is supposed to be that the class is your race. QUOTE]

Then that should be noted.

Also, I think the lower ability bonuses is due to the fact the class gives full HD, BAB, Saves, etc. The ones in savage species give full ability bonuses but not full HD, BAB, or saves.
    Maybe make the levels of the class accommodate the HD so that you can give full ability bonuses - alternatively, ability penalties could accommodate for higher ability bonuses, like the actual LA'd monsters with ability penalties.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-06-07 at 05:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, the point is supposed to be that the class is your race. Also, I think the lower ability bonuses is due to the fact the class gives full HD, BAB, Saves, etc. The ones in savage species give full ability bonuses but not full HD, BAB, or saves.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

You mean the speed increase is how things function in the game, or... ?
    ---
    I mean that when increasing from small to medium and medium to large most things make your speed go up 10 feet.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Banned

Awakened Zombie
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Requirements: Must have been raised from death as a fresh corpse via magic, psionics, etc.

- OR -

Must have been bitten by another zombie and then 'turned' (see 'Transmit the Virus' special ability under 'Warped').

HD:d12
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 0|+0 |+0 | +2| Zombie body, Shambler, Slam, Natural Armor, Undead Craving, -2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity
    2|+ 1|+ 0|+ 0| + 3| DR 5/slashing, +2 Strength, Undeadly
    3|+ 1|+ 1|+1 | +3 | Warped, Bite, Horrendous Grapple
    [/table]

Proficiencies: No New Proficiencies.

Skills: 4 + Int Modifier, minimum 1
    No New Class Skills.

Class Features

Zombie Body

Your type changes to undead (view SRD for undead type listing). You are now vulnerable to cleric turning/rebuking.

Unlike most monster classes, your racial bonuses are not affected (your original race is affectively unchanged with the exception that you are now undead) - lose most special qualities of the base creature, with the exception of extraordinary abilities that improve your ranged or melee attacks. If you can fly, your flight maneuverability is now clumsy, but move speed in all forms is unchanged.

Shambler

Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.

Slam

Zombie acquires one slam as a natural weapon of damage equivalent to their size.

{table]Zombie Size| Slam Damage
    Fine| 1
    Diminutive| 1d2
    Tiny| 1d3
    Small| 1d4
    Medium| 1d6
    Large| 1d8
    Huge| 2d6
    Gargantuan| 2d8
    Colossal| 4d6
    [/table]

Natural Armor

The zombie gains a natural armor bonus equivalent to their size.

{table]Zombie Size| Natural Armor Bonus
    Tiny or smaller| +0
    Small| +1
    Medium| +2
    Large| +3
    Huge| +4
    Gargantuan| +7
    Colossal| +11
    [/table]

Undead Craving

You must feast on the live brains of humanoid, monstrous humanoid or giant type creatures as often as your race eats in its non-zombie form or starve as they do.

Undeadly

All further HD you gain from other classes are now d12s.

Bite

Gain a bite attack as a natural weapon. Your bite deals the same damage as your slam natural weapon with the exception that it is 1/2 str modifier to damage rather then full.

Horrendous Grapple

As Improved Grapple in the SRD, with the exception that you receive a free bite attack against any opponent you successfully hold.

Warped

A zombie can choose to apply the affects of Chill Touch at will whenever it makes a successful slam attack (substitute for regular slam damage), or receive Transmit the Virus.

Transmit the Virus (Ex)

Whenever a zombie successfully grapples an opponent, it can choose to make its bite attack as a full action. A successful attack, means that the opponent must make a Fort Save (DC 10 + zombie's HD), or immediately suffer 1d10 strength damage. Afterwards, in 1d4 days, they become a zombie. If killed before then, they must make another Fort Save (same DC as prior bite attack) or reawaken as a zombie in 1d4 rounds - unless their body is obliterated before then.
    ----

Red Head
    Prerequisite: Zombie 3rd Level

Lose the Shambler quality and dexterity penalty for being a zombie. If you can fly, your flight maneuverability shifts back to its original maneuverability prior to taking levels in zombie.

Before: You must suffer these penalties as normal when they apply with the zombie monster class.

Rage Head
    Prerequisite: Red Head, BAB +4

You can now rage (as barbarian rage and stacks with uses/day as such) a number of times per day equal to your dexterity modifier or wisdom modifier (whatever is highest). You also have +10ft. move speed.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-06-10 at 04:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, mabye you should put the entire class up at once rather than just a picture.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    Um, mabye you should put the entire class up at once rather than just a picture.
    And maybe a different picture? That one kind of freaks me out.

27. - Top - End - #567

Well lots of stuff going around here despite me being too busy to comment, great to see this thread seems to have created a life of it's own thanks to the admirers of my work!

So quick review. Added the frost giant, beholder, redcap, slaad to the index, and also the alphabetical list. If I missed something let me know!

Starbuck_II:
    Well there was already a beholder class but there's space for another one. Anyway at first glance it seems good but the last levels are kinda empty. It wouldn't kill anyone to put finger of death a little earlier for example. Ok, it would kill them but I believe you get my idea. Plenty of my monsters get SLAs a little earlier than wizards get their spells counterparts since they have much more limited abilities, in particular when it's limited spells that aren't specially powerfull. Finger of death, aiming at the hardest save and allowing spell resistance isn't that bad at 11th level for example.

And for the record I don't consider beholder mage that bad if you take it at 13th level, so feel free to add a capstone ability that makes him a true beholder.

I'd suggest including a prefix that states that you can't select a race when choosing a monster class (your race instead is the monster class)
    Meh, it's become kinda of a habit for me to state the "lose all racial bonus" thingy.

and then increase the ability score boosts to actually match up to the LA'd monster when arriving at max level.
    No, I believe I've made it pretty clear in the first post that one of the basis of this project it's that in order to make monsters playable one must cut down obscene ability scores. It leads to one-trick ponies and makes balancing much harder when you consider the ease of using certain abilitiy scores for everything.

For example, a succubus granting +16 charisma and then pseudo-spellcaster

If the frost giant had it's original strenght then it's special power saves would be pretty much impossible to make.

So no, huge ability scores is a no-no. +1 Per level at best and that's pushing it. I do add other abilities, full HD, skills and saves that more than make up for it.

Plus, very few of the monsters with huge ability scores have ability penalities at all, and even if they did it would force the players to pick certain classes for certain monsters, when I want to give them freedom of choice in making as many builds as valid as possible.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-06-07 at 05:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Banned

If the frost giant had it's original strenght then it's special power saves would be pretty much impossible to make.
    Then don't make its special powers depend on strength.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Banned

And maybe a different picture? That one kind of freaks me out.
    Spoiler
    Show

But really. It's a zombie. :P

Meh, it's become kinda of a habit for me to state the "lose all racial bonus" thingy.
    You should probably state that upon taking a level in a monster class, the player cannot take a level in any other monster class besides that one (if you already did and I missed it, sorry).
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-06-07 at 05:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

But really. It's a zombie. :P

You should probably state that upon taking a level in a monster class, the player cannot take a level in any other monster class besides that one (if you already did and I missed it, sorry).
    How about you go for something cool instead of freaky? Of course it's entirely possible our definitions of "Cool" are different.