New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Daggerfall or Morrowind? Which to play?

I've currently gotten an itch to play elderscrolls again. I have over 250 hours logged onto oblivion so i've done just about everything. I played morrowind alot and Tamriel alot more appealing then Cyrodil, not to mention the dark elfs sound much more . . . "masculine" in morrowind. But even though I haven't played in years, I still played it alot and did most of the major quests, so I looked on TES's website and saw they had daggerfall for download.

So, should I fight with DOSbox for days and play a horrible old looking Daggerfall, or play Morrowind again?
    Check out my art HERE!
    I am currently taking commissions. Check out the info HERE!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Daggerfall or Morrowind? Which to play?

I haven't played daggerfall so take this criticism with a grain of salt. It is a huge amount of procedurally generated stuff. So a lot of areas and such will be kinda boring and samey. Also I've heard it is rather buggy. I think all the gamebreakers have been fixed.

Morrowind is pretty good overall. Graphics are a bit dated. Combat is a little boring with just mashing the attack key. Magic is about the only thing broken in it. Spells scale horrbily with mana. Enchanting is broken the other way. It's easy to enchant your armor with enough power to kill every man, woman, and child in the city of Vivec with a single enchanted ebony staff. Also pretty easy to get 100% chameleon, high reflect, or sanctuary (makes you impossible to be hit) with little effort. But the story and gameplay is really top notch. Really feels kinda immersive where Oblivion kinda fell flat in a few areas.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do think that morrowind was immersive but oblivion was as well. But in morrowind there was much more to do is seemed like. you could even join one of the three houses, and I found that the morag tong (a may be confusing that with the other "bad" group) to be much better the the dark brotherhood. i mean, just to join them you had to actually hunt down and find there base, you didn't have some cloaked man come to you after killing for the first time and tell you exactly where it was. as far as magic, i never was that much of a magic user even though fly and mark and recall are very usefull but weren't in oblivion, I think there may be a mod out there somewhere that could fix it a little. talking about all that and looking through some morrowind pics just made me want to play it, so i'm probably going to try to find me copy. Or pirate one, I feel no guilt in doing that because i've bought the game twice already.
    Check out my art HERE!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

It brings back the good ol' days.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Zilfana; 2010-04-18 at 11:22 AM.
    Check out my art HERE!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Regarding Daggerfall you might want to look at this site: http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

Basicaly some person is making a modern port of Daggerfall, no idea how playable it is right now because I haven't read on development for quite some time, but even if it isn't fully playable right now it's worth keeping watch of in cease you want to play it in future.

As for Daggerfall vs Morrowind - eh, Morrowind is probably a better choice. I had some fun running around Daggerfall without a goal, checking out the places, but Morrowind is much more consistent, and has less of "got lost in dungeon again" problem.

Ps. You might want to put that image in spoilers, it's way big.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Daggerfall is fun for a bit retro gaming or nostalgia but for actual play, Morrowind is better. Daggerfall didn't age very well.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah, i didn't realize it until afterwords, i'll take care of it.
    Check out my art HERE!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Also if you want to play morrowind, check out the Better Body Mod and the Better Clothes Mod. They really help the game look better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Daggerfall is one of my favorite games ever. But there are so many things about it that are examples of poor aging when looking back that i would not want to taint my memories of it by playing it again. So obviously my advice is to play Morrowind, which is designed in a way to give it much more staying power.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Check this out. I found it quite interesting for anyone also wanting to go back and play morrowind.
    http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/
    Check out my art HERE!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

IMHO, Morrowind >> Oblivion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daggerfall.
    trill in da playground

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Daggerfall is more exploring / treasure gathering. It can be a lot of fun, but gets repetitive if you play for too long. I take breaks and play a little every now and then and have lots of fun. The main quest is fun too.

Morrowind is the best of the lot. Big world, lots to explore, and plenty of engaging quest storylines as well. There is lots to do and the graphics aren't bad at all considering the game's age.

Oblivion is good at first, but I found the main storyline to be overbearing. Too much effort was put into graphics and not enough into gameplay. Oblivion offers much fewer options, fewer quests, and fewer enemies than Morrowind did. The voice acting gets annoying too - there are only 6 or 7 voice actors so all the people start sounding the same.

Overall I'm a Morrowind fan. Its the best. I never get tired of playing it.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

It gets kinda annoying when you keep hearing Wonder Woman talking to herself over and over. (Orc and Nord women voiced by Linda Carter).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Repetitive voice acting I can handle. The only thing that ever bothered me was that unskippable voice-acted speech right before the final boss of Tribunal. Oh, and when two NPCs with the same race and gender simultaneously choose the same greeting. That's just unnerving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Repetitive voice acting I can handle. The only thing that ever bothered me was that unskippable voice-acted speech right before the final boss of Tribunal. Oh, and when two NPCs with the same race and gender simultaneously choose the same greeting. That's just unnerving.
    Though I concur about the final Tribunal boss battle, that's just one event. The Oblivion voices are constant and distracting.

Another thing I like about Morrowind - the world actually seems somewhat unique, both in landscape and culture. Oblivion is more like... generic fantasy land. I find Morrowind much more immersive.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't Azura's speech after the main quest in Morrowind also unskippable? I know the cutscene is skippable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The way I look at it.

Daggerfall is a better RPG. You can do things that, from what I remember, actually change the storyline. -I think-

Morrowind if a better Adventure game. I have yet to find a game as fun to explore as Morrowind. I mean really, it's amazing.

Oblivion is a better Action game. Not a -good- Action game, just that it has the best combat system out of all the other Elder Scrolls games.

So... yeah.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah Oblivion really did the combat system pretty well and made it fun. All the combat styles were viable. You could use bows, sword and board, 2 handers, hand-to-hand, or just magic. All of them worked and it was fun. Morrowind has broken magic, and hand-to-hand is just plain impossible on half the enemies.