New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

Ace comes down into the bar room yawning, his cards fluttering between his hands back and forth. Good mornin', sir. Whatever you're cookin', it smells wonderful. He then sits down at a table and begins playing solitaire, waiting for breakfast and his companions.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As you sit and wait for the more lazy one to rise, Halda bring you some breakfast : bacon and eggs, served with some bread.
    The smith, being done stand up and salute the Innkeeper,
    "Good day Ben, time to get to work."
    A minute later, the sheriff enters the room. He scan the room, noding to you as salutation and go sit at a table. He order some food.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-20 at 03:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you kindly, ma'am, says Ace, tipping his hat to Halda as she brings his food. When he finishes, he looks to the innkeeper and smiles. My compliments to the chef!

He then stands up and approaches the sheriff's table. May I sit? he asks as politely as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, to come off as an okay sort and impress the sheriff so that he may sit and talk with him: (1d20+9)[19]
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As you approach him, he stands and extend his hand and give you a rough handsahke,
    "Sure, take a seat. I am Malcom Beausejour, Sheriff of Grandvents. "
    He sit down and resume his breakfast, listening to you. You've got his full attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    The diplomacy check will be used for the whole discussion - unless you want to try something else or probe him more for something he want to hold up
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-20 at 04:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

((I'm not sure if you want to hold this discussion in spoilers or not, so I'll just assume yes (since the rest of the party isn't present) until told otherwise))
    Spoiler
    Show
    My evidently exhausted companions and I were thinking of dealing with your unfortunate kobold problem. I was wondering if, maybe, you 'ad any information on them? Our strategists would certainly like to know of their tactics and such, or if they have any particularly troublesome allies or pets. The Vistani smiles charmingly. Don't worry about answering quickly - I don't want to interrupt your breakfast overmuch.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Baldric rumbles and trudges down the stairs, stretching and yawning. He stops at the base of the stairs and tilts his head to get that last crick out of his neck. He trudges over to the bar for a morning mug of mead and breakfast. When he sees the conversation with the sherriff already in motion he heads over to the table and joins them, "Hoy. Morning. I didn't miss anything, have I?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGirl

Visk makes her way down the stairs already fully composed, her gear in tow, hanging from a hand at her side. She scans the room and after seeing Baldric and Ace already talking to the sheriff makes her way cautiously toward the pair of elves. She stops at a safe distance, hoping to catch their attention without being rude and asks in a polite, almost reverant tone, Mind if I take my breakfast with you two this morning?
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-20 at 05:27 PM.
    Public education: mind control for the masses.
    Organized religion: brainwash for the soul.
    National government: forced morality for the people.

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.

8. - Top - End - #68

RogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check to impress the Elves: (1d20+3)[4](7)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Malcom is about to say something as Baldric join the table, Malcom stand and say,
    "Good morning sir dwarf, take a seat. I am Malcom."
    Malcom sit down before continuing,
    "So, you want to know more about the kobolds, I guess your planning to hunt them down. A good thing for us. The Daucht and Filion families will sure be happy that their sons get avenged."
    He eat some bacon, then continues,
    "Well, I did some research after the attack. It appears that Deserte got hit by the same kobolds a month before us. We know because the few they managed to kill we're bearing the same tatoo than ours: A green three fingered paw.. The attack was mostly the same : little casualties and lots of looting. I sent a letter to Yarten, they haven't been attacked, but they know the clan. Their camp should be located somewhere north of the Green Peaks (Les monts Vert), if we can trust the elven city letter that is. During the attack, the kobolds mainly routed the villagers away from their house. Only two of our young mens died, mainly because they didnt retreat quickly enough. The kobold left south, into the Ter'Yav forest."
    Malcom notice Visk going to sit with the elves and give a nod so you notice them,
    "Our town hunters did follow their tracks for some time, they might be willing to show you. You also may ask Herrick the trapper, he knows the wood quite well too." pointing the mustache man at the bar.

One of the elves notice Visk and nod to her. As she ask to join them, he extend his hand offering a seat,
    "Well met miss, I am Kalev, this is Lelmil. I heard your adventurers, what bring you to our small town?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ace Diplomacy provide one Success.
    Success :1 Failure :0
    Visk Diplomacy check will be used for the whole discussion (when it matters).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-20 at 09:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

MonkGuy

Marv comes down the stairs looking fully prepared as though he hadn't even bothered to sleep last night; The gleam in his eye says he fully envisions glorious battle will take place today, as if the kobold lair were right outside the inn.
    Making his way to the door, he is at last given pause.
    Ooo...breakfast

11. - Top - End - #71

RogueGirl

Visk bows respectfully. Kalev, Lelmil. I am called Visk. She sits down, smiling fit to split her face. My companions and I are from Grandpre Academy, we were sent here at the request of the mayor. I like your bows, there, she says, nodding toward the longbows leaning on the wall. Much more impressive than mine.

She smiles demurely at her attempt at humor, pausing to attempt to read the elves' reaction to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    insight check to sense the elves' reaction to her: (1d20+9)[15](24)
    Perception check to attempt to hear conversation with sheriff: (1d20+7)[8](15)
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-21 at 12:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you kindly for your time, sheriff. One last question - did you see the kobolds fight, at all? Or perhaps do you know someone who did? My companions and I would like to know something of the martial threat arrayed against us.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Malcom nod to Ace,
    "Yeah I did fight them. They rely more on sheer number than skill. They have some lizard pets and use crude weapons, javelins and pikes mainly, some short swords too. There is some of them that used sling with some clay pot that contained some sticky stuff."

The elves with Visk seem oblivious to her attemp at humor, or simply do not like it. They are serious and continue to eat they meal, waiting for Visk to continue.

As Marv sit at a table, Halda bring him some food.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-21 at 11:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorn was ready to go. He already had donned his armor and eaten breakfast in his room. Not wanting to crowed the mayor, he takes a table a little away and waits for Ace, Visk, and Baldric to finish up.
    Last edited by Keler; 2010-03-21 at 11:17 AM.
    56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you again for your time, sheriff. I think I will speak to Herrick, the trapper, and see if he might be willing to give us a little guidance as to how to find these weaselly beasts. He tips his hat to the sheriff again, stands up and walks over to Herrick, the fur-clad trapper.

He tips his hat in greeting and inclines his head. Good morning! I am given to understand that you are Herrick, the town trapper? The good sheriff told me you might have some insight into the location of our scaly kobold quarries? He laughs a little. Forgive my manners! I am called Ace. May I sit?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, to conduct the conversation: (1d20+9)[26]
    Insight, to see how best to talk with the trapper and to determine his general disposition: (1d20+6)[20]
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The burly man look at you and nod,
    "I'm Herrick. So ya wanna go and get ya some koblods eh? ?"
    He take a good look at you, as if evaluating you.
    "Wel' fer 10 golds I can show ya where they camped right after the attack. Kobolds wer' many and left some good traces. Of cours', most traces prob'bly faded by now, but I can show ya which way they'v gone from ther'. What do ya say?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight sent in PM.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-21 at 12:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

RogueGirl

Visk clears her throat awkwardly and continues. Well, my companions and I are going out into the forest today after some kobolds we heard attacked this town and I was wondering if you could offer us any help in that regard.
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-21 at 04:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Kalev, keeping the same neutral and serious face ask Visk,
    "Why do you want to find these kobolds?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Would you, perhaps, play a card game with me? I am a fledgling player myself, no doubt nowhere near as experienced as a wise man such as yourself. If you win, I'll pay you your 10 gold, in full, for your services. If I win, you show us the trail because you're a good man who wants to see the deaths of his friends' sons avenged.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff, to mask the fact that Ace is an experienced card player:
    (1d20+9)[29]
    Diplomacy, to convince him it's a fair deal:
    (1d20+9)[21]
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Herrick eye you suspiciously at first, but let himself get convinced he can win it all.
    You play some round, planning to keep the illusion and slowly but surely beats him. But he surprise you, being a decent player himself, but he lack some experience and do a mistake that let you win it.
    "Bah!! Alrig't I loose. Jus' tel' me when yar ready, I hav' ta go check som' trap ther' anaway."
    You can clearly see he is pissed, but you dont doubt he will keep his word.
    He resume his meal mumbling to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Success :2 Failure : 0

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you kindly, my good sir! Must've been Beginner's Luck - never have I won such a close game! He tips his hat to the trapper once again and smiles disarmingly, and the walks over to where Dorn, Marv (and presumably Baldric) are sitting.

My friends, I have secured us the aid of this town's grumpy but honest trapper in our search for these kobolds, he says in hushed tones so that only his companions around the table can hear. And I got some information on their combat abilities from the sheriff. Not bad for a morning's work, eh?
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #82

RogueGirl

Visk smiles calmly. The mayor has hired us to find them, to avenge the attack on the town and to attempt to prevent any further raids. She turns and watches Ace playing cards with the trapper and frowns slightly, growing frustrated with how ineffective she is at this.
    We don't want to impede upon anything you would otherwise be doing today, but do you think you could help us? I'm sure that there are few that know these woods and their denizens better than the pair of you.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Baldric remained quiet, letting the others talk, merely listening, cataloguing what he hears. He finishes his breakfast watching the others talk to their perspective crowds, thinking to intrude now would only hinder matters.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Kalev hesitate for a coupe second, before shaking his head and reply,
    "This is not a good idea. These kobolds leave us alone most of the time. We have been watching our hunting grounds border since the attak, and there is no traces of them since. The attack was a sad thing, mainly the death of the two mens, but I wont take the chance to stir their ire.
    I am sure your intentions, and Filass's, are good, but I dont agree and wont take part in this. I hope you'll have the good sense to either leave them alone or at least lead them away from our town, or any town, if you have to retreat."

At that, he takes his last bite and they stand up. They pick up their equipment and nod to Visk,
    "Good day and may Corellon's grae protect you... whatever you decide to do."
    They pass by Ben, pay him and nod to him and leave the Inn.`
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the result of the diplomacy.
    Success : 2 Failure : 1
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-22 at 08:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

RogueGirl

Visk sits in stunned--but not totally surprised--silence for a long while, picking at her food until it is gone. Finally she stands and walks toward the front door of the inn with her back slouched, slightly, her face an unreadable mask. As she passes her companions she grumbles in a tone that sounds like a pout, Sorry. I should've left that to you.

She will be waiting, leaned against the wall right outside the front door with her arms crossed over her chest as soon as everyone is ready to leave.

26. - Top - End - #86

MonkGuy

Marv announces he is done with his breakfast with a mighty belch, drawing every eye in the inn to where he sits, surrounded by cleaned plates and empty mugs.
    I think that'll do.
    He looks at Baldric and gestures to the door.
    I think Visk has the right idea. We should get going!
    And with that he heads out the door.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Don't worry, im probably a better tracker then him anyways"

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature: (1d20+7)[12]. Edit: Darn, anyone who wants to try to assist is welcome.
    Last edited by Keler; 2010-03-22 at 06:34 PM.
    56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

We must await the arrival of our Deva friend. Lets not get to hasty and spoil good Ben's hospitality! Come, sit at the table, we can discuss out battle plans, says Ace, motioning for his over-eager companions to come and sit back around their table. Ben, my good sir! A glass of water, please, says Ace to Ben politely, with a smile and a nod, before turning back to his companions.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    You all finish your meal around the same time as Herrick does. He then stand up and come to your table.
    "Wel' are ya ready al'ready? I hav' som' work to do. Let mov' out."
    You all get outside and gather around. Herrick leads you south into the woods.
    "Tha kobolds gon' south fer a day, so let walk."
    From time to time, he change direction to check some traps and gather some animals he got and reset the traps. After about a days of travel, before dark, Herrick stop and look around.
    "It's aroun' here som'where. We'll hav' ta look around. We need ta find a camp area."
    You then all spread and start to search around. Dorn quickly find a small cleaner area with traces of a big camp with three firepits. The grass just started to recover. A week or two and no traces would have been left of this.
    Just before the sun set, Dorn also manage to find the path the group took when they left that camp. They have gone south-west and Herrick confirm it is the same path he saw months ago. The night is fast approaching and Herrick propose to make camp here. He tellls you he will stay with you for the night, but at dawn he will leave for Grandvents.
    "Can't help ya from her' anaway. I don't know tha woods from her'."
    The night is uneventful, but some heavy rain start to fall in the morning. You know that following the few tracks left will be harder with the rain.

Spoiler
    Show
    In this situation I accept a group roll, and take the highest - wont be the case when you track something (which will be a single roll)
    Ace Perception : (1D20+1)[15](16)
    Visk Perception : [/B](1D20+7)[8](15)
    Marv Perception : [/B](1D20+2)[8](10)
    Dect Perception : [/B](1D20+4)[3](7)
    Dorn Perception : [/B](1D20+7)[12](19)
    Baldric Perception : [/B](1D20+4)[9](13)

Success : 3 Failure : 1
    I assumed you stayed for the night (so I could set up the next morning). You still can do anything else you want at the camp. If you want to tracks , someone have to volunteer a perception. You might want to try something else too ;) up to you to decide.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-23 at 12:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

RogueGirl

When the group decides to stay the night at the campsite Visk searches the perimeter of the campsite for a tree with low enough branches to allow her to climb it but with foliage thick enough to hide her from anything heading toward the camp. She will insist vehemently to take the first watch from here, looking down on her companions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature(1) and Perception (2) checks to find suitable tree: (1)(1d20+2)[12](14) (2)(1d20+7)[15](22)
    Athletics Check to climb tree: (1d20+6)[14](20)
    Stealth Check to hide in the foliage: (1d20+10)[14](24)
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-24 at 04:53 AM.