New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

I appreciate the poker references, Baldric, but I can run negotiations without having to think of them as a card game, laughs Ace. So, who wants to accompany me down to parlay? I'll need your translation skills, Kallik, and I think Marv should probably come too, if things break out into violence. If anyone else wants to come along, I'd appreciate the extra security, but we shouldn't leave Baldric alone up here.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Question Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

Kallik turns to Ace. I'm with you. Vask seems to be okay for now, they're not going after her. She's broken the statue- they called it 'the big one caller'. Which suggests they have large reinforcements but are unable to call them. He tightens his grip on his spear and it starts to smoke slightly. They should cause us no problems, but it won't hurt to back up diplomacy with a hint of force. Combined with what we have already done of course. he glances don at the tied Kobolds and glances at his friends,Ready when you are!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ace, Kallik and Marv start to move toward the kobolds. As they come within 30 feet of them, the Ratmaster will speak with autority, trying obviouly to regain some advantage in the situation. He speaks common, way better than you would have anticipated, with a very slight hissing accent.
    "Why did you attack my clan, in my domain no lesss? Do you sseek war with the Green Paw clan?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assumed Marv will follow. If anyone else wanted to move closer as well, just tell me where you want to be on the map (you cant advance closer than the others (it is where they were when the ratmaster spoke)
    Doru is the darlk elf icon in XX9.
    Kallik is the dark elf icon with cloak in KK10.

Village Map

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

No such thing, my good fellow! We are here simply to retrieve a stolen banner, and some unjustly acquired documents of great import for the kindly mayor of Grandvents. We have no slain any of your clansmen, oh mighty chieftain - our cleric is tending their wounds as we speak. We desire only the papers and banner - no lifeblood need be shed today. Ace pulls his cards out of his sleeve and begins shuffling them as he awaits the chieftain's considerations. If this breaks out into a fight, he wants to be ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[16]
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The kobold leader ponder your reply nearly a minute before replying,
    "I dont have any banner, what doess it look like? What are those paperss? I will look for them and assk my clan if they have them?"

6. - Top - End - #186

Griffon

In Draconic
    Spoiler
    Show

We appreciate your efforts and honour you for your wisdom in this matter

Kallik shares a look with the others and mutters under his breath This could be easier than we thought

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    A surprised look appears on the kobold face when you speak to him in his language and he look at Kallik with some respect.
    "Shsis nough jy gnowss lass clakc villl chasssth dsoul tgnii blisss slimms huit wissshe."

He quickly return his gaze on Ace, awaiting some more details about the items he must find.

8. - Top - End - #188

Griffon

He wants us to leave his clan alone. He's not
    looking for a fight. If we let him and his people be, he'll find the papers for us
    . Kallik looks at the others. What do we know of the papers and the banner?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

The banner, good chieftain, bears the heraldry of mayor Filass's house, feature three oak seeds surrounding an inverted yellow chevron on a blue background - the top is burgundy, with a crown in the centre. Ace makes some dramatic hand motions to emphasize the shapes he is describing. The papers are old and beaten, signed by one Fredric Auguste. According to the good mayor, one cannot miss them once one knows what one is looking for.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorn keeps quite and lets Ace and Kallik do the talking, instead, he keeps a careful eye on the kobolds . If he sees any hostile actions he will attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action: Throw and Stab.
    Perception: (1d20+7)[23]
    Insight (to see if the leader is telling the truth): (1d20+2)[22]
    Edit: sorry Its been so long since my last post, school is getting a little crazy
    Last edited by Keler; 2010-05-04 at 05:18 PM.
    56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Doru watches the negotiations eagerly.
    No matter what you do, no matter what you say I will always love you. For you are human and in you is beauty and I am vain.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Absorbing your description, the ratmaster seems to ponders his options, before replying,
    "Here iss what we will do. If I dont find it, you will think I hid it, sso you two will come with me and ssearch for it, under my ssupervision. You alsso can assk my clan memberss if they ssaw it, but they mostly only sspeak our native tongue.
    You have to sswear that you will free my clan memberss you have and leave uss alone after even if we dont have what you sseek. Iss thiss a deal?"

He designate Ace and Kallik to do the search.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-05-05 at 09:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193

Griffon

In Draconic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very well Chieftan. This sounds reasonable, but I must ask, why did your clan attack Grandvent? Why take the banner and papers? What can you gain from this, considering you have lived relatively peacefully?

I think he means what he says, especially as we have hostages. He looks at the others, but I would feel safer if the rest of you kept a close eye on what is going on out here.
    Last edited by Grimlock; 2010-05-05 at 10:19 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Griffon

(Sorry for double post, messed up roll)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+2)[9]

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The kobold is taken by surprise by your question and give you a weird and sceptical look, ponders about it for a second, and reply with a serious tone in draconic.
    "Kil sas ghilss sui mass. Dill, stoul, bidouss. Lisssm thirr ahh, Lokss sduin sshis amasr."

He returns to common tongue,
    "You can sstay up the mountain while we ssearch."
    He then notice, at the same time as you do, that some of his fighters started to move slowly in surrounding position, the ratmaster tell them,
    Gil vouss, regaa los. Lissg thin lesss sai kitl lis, stoll Liass.
    At that order they stop their movements. Some of the kobold appear unhappy, but the caltrop droper clearly is releived.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-05-05 at 12:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Griffon

It's okay. He's telling them to stand down. They'll o py attack if we do. He holds up his talloned hands to pre-empt any defensive moves from the party.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The kobold nod at Kallik traduction.
    An hundred feet to the west, you spot Visk get out of the forest. When she spot that your speaking to the kobold, she go slightly up into the mountain and walk to reach Baldrick and whisper him something.

Spoiler
    Show
    From this point, Visk fade into the background (take no actions). If skinshifter returns, I'll see what I do.
    Shardan, I'll PMed you what she tell's you.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Very well my Draconic friend... we have tents to search! Ace grins as he sleeves his cards again. Let's begin!

Spoiler
    Show
    In case we need rolls, here they are:
    Perception, to physically find them: (1d20+1)[19] <- I forgot to call evens or odds on my untrained check. Should I reroll, or what? +4 might make a big difference.
    Insight, to know where they would be: (1d20+6)[23]
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2010-05-05 at 04:11 PM.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As Ace agrees to the kobold terms, the ratmaster reply,
    "It iss a deal then. I am Booktooth, you two follow me."
    The rest of the group go back to Baldrick.
    You can see that Kallik and Ace are going from tent to tents, taking time to search them. Kallik discuss with a couple kobolds. After about an hours, they completed all the tents without any success. Booktooth lead them the the south-east building which they start to search.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything you 4 wanna do?
    Ace and Kallik, a PM will follow - we deal this in PM, make rolls in OOC when needed.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    After about 15 more minutes, Kallik Ace and the Kobold comes out of the building and enter the middle one. Soon after that, an hunting patrol returns from the north to the town, while Ace and Kallik are within the middle hut. Their leader stat to talk with one of guards. He appear to be explaining what happened , pointing to the hut and in your direction.

Spoiler
    Show

What do you do? I'll assume no reply to be doing nothing of it by the way.

BTW you had time to take a short rest (spend healing surge accordingly - you even have time to use the cleric powers to healing yourselves if you want (to be more efficient with your healing surges).The shield soldier koboldsalso had time to don their armor.

Here is an explanation of the Icons.

Red Icons with a blue line are Pike weilder, the other red Icons are sword and shield.
    The blue icon is a pet and the blue one with a pink circle is the staff weilder kobold.
    Black icons are slingers.
    The skeleton with the helm is the ratmaster (Booktooth).
    The regular skeletons are the females and goblins icon are childs.

I added squares on the Icon to represent which group the belong to :
    Pink are the survivors of your first encounter.
    Orange are the one that where already in the town (sentries and one that were woken up)
    Green are the hunting group that just returned.

Village Map
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-05-07 at 08:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Baldric is watching the kobolds to see if any of them give away a hiding spot by looking to it while the searchers are busy. When the hunting party returns, he gets a little antsy. He picks his hammer up and moves up to 11 NN, not making any aggrtessive moves, but watching the new party to see their reaction

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As you look at the scene, the village guard and the leader of the hunter group appear to have an heated discussion.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    A couple minutes after the arrival of the kobold hunting pack, while they are still arguing among themselves, Ace, Kallik and Booktooth comes out of the middle hut.

Village Map
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-05-10 at 08:27 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Griffon

Strolling out of the central hut, Kallik turns to Ace to congratulate him on finding the banner when he suddenly notices the new hunting pack of kobolds. He turns to Ace and mutters I can't make it all out Clearly, but that kobold talking to the guard is not happy. I get the impression he thinks the guards should have killed us. The other one is trying to calm him down. it could turn nasty, be prepared in case Booktooth can't control the situation

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not too worried, my scaly friend. We have hostages, and... he pulls out his deck of cards and gestures with them quietly. between your magic and mine, we'd have no trouble making our way back to the others. He turns to Booktooth. We thank you, gracious Booktooth, for your exemplary hospitality. I shall immediately relay your request for the release of your fighting men, and my friends and I shall be on our merry way.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    At Ace words, Booktooth snap back from his thougths and do an heavy sigh.
    "Jusst go now, resspect your deal and I will make ssure my clan resspect it too."
    He then walk toward the hunting leader.
    As you pass behind the huts, the 2 kobolds there glare at you, but leave you go. You reach safely the others.
    You can see that Booktooth is using his autority to submit the hunter leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    What do you guys do?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, my friends! We have succeeded in retrieving the objects for which we came. We shall let the prisoners walk down towards the camp, and at the same time depart - best to not leave any chance for our scaly friends to ah... - he gives the village a sidelong glance - ...change their minds, once they're secured the prisoners.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #208

Griffon

The Dragonborn glances down to the village and then turns back to look at the othersI think everything will be okay, but I don't believe we should wait unneccesarily. We have what we came for, let's go back to Grandvent. He looks over to Baldric, Did we hurt anyone too badly? Any chance the kobolds will come after us once we return the hostages?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, let's go back to Grandvent.
    No matter what you do, no matter what you say I will always love you. For you are human and in you is beauty and I am vain.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    You all free the kobolds prisoners and leave using the mountain to be able to see the kobolds as you go. Booktooth appears to have everything under control and no one pursue you. You walk the rest of the day up until the darkness to put up the most possible distance between you and the village, using the river to hide your tracks. You make camp, making guard rounds.
    The night was calm and the morning comes quickly.

June 13-14 :
    Your all refreshed in the morning. You travel for 1 and an half day under a blazing sun. Behing mainly into the forest, you cant really benefit much of it, but it is still better than under heavy rain. you dont encounter anything beside some small animals.
    You arrive at Grandvents around dinner time.
    As you walk into the town, you spot sir De L'Aurore speaking with the smith who is closing his shop. As they spot you come in, they salute you and Filass says,
    "Hello again, happy to see you."
    He then turn to the smith and tells him,
    "These gentlemens and I have some buisness to discuss, I'll see you later at the Inn."
    Returning his attention to you, he continues
    "Follow me."
    He lead you to his house, doing small talk about the weather, but you can see he is struggling not to ask about your mission, keeping it under control only so people around doesn't learn about it.
    As you enter the house, he ask Gaston to bring some drink and food and lead you to the same room you met him before. He sit behind is desk and motion for you to take seats, and ask with hope plainly written on his face,
    "So, were we lucky?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Well done, you the first group who succeed without kicking the whole village butt ;).
    I forgot to give you XP for the first fight (in the mountain) (125 each).
    The investigation/dealing with Booktooth was worth 125 XP each .
    Even if you didnt kill the village, I give you most of its XP as a bonus since it was a potential treath and real danger (beleive me) : 200XP each.
    With the skill challenge your up to 500 XP, I'll put your XP count in the first post IN OOC and keep it updated there. the new players are at the same total XP as the others.

Now I skipped the travel, but if you want to do something during it (discuss or the like, just say roleplay it IC. I assumed you followed Filass in the town and narated up to his house.

For the travels, use 2 rations (or whatever).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-05-12 at 04:08 PM.