New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Kratos vs The Norse Pantheon

Quote Originally Posted by trmptfnfr View Post
    Loki gets way too much credit these days.

In order to stop a dude from completing a wall he had to go through coitus with a horse, his first instinct was to get knocked up by a horse described with words synonymous with "huge".
    Eh, so Loki likes to experiment. It happens, particularly with shapeshifters. (Joking, joking.)

And if you're grumbling about him getting too much credit, I'm wondering where you were earlier in the thread where the folks supporting the gods were telling about how Loki would outsmart Kratos. :) Can't have it both ways, compadre.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

I hadn't seen the thread back then

'sides, I'm on Kratos side.
    I just think it's his raging PMS (Of the male variety) and the power of PLOT that'll win him the day.
    Last edited by trmptfnfr; 2010-04-07 at 02:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Indeed. The scenario does not give us when Kratos appears. What if Kratos is late to the party and shows up after Ragnarok?
    Then he gets to tango with gods who were able to survive the apocalypse.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Cuaqchi View Post
    Regarding attacking further pantheons, as much as Eygpt might fall. Babylon/Mesopatamia/Pheonicia would kick his ass 6 ways to Sunday. Marduk who could defeat every other god combined, ruled over a pantheon where ever member had the ability and willingness to destroy the planet were it not for Marduk's tyrannical rule.
    Heh! The Roman one would be funny as hell.

Mercury: Hey dad! That guy's at the door!
    Jupiter: Which guy?
    Mercury: Uh, Krackle or something. Krapsack... You know, the chain n' vengeance guy. The Spurting.
    Jupiter: Wait... The Spartan? The guy who killed... Uh, those gods that are totally not related to us because we were here first really?
    Mercury: Yeah, him. You want I should take him out?
    Jupiter: NO! No, no, er... I'll handle this. Go see mom, she's made cookies.
    Mercury: YAY! Cookies!
    Zeus: (Opens door, runs back. A sandalled foot kicks it off its hinges)
    Kratos: YOU! ZEUS! ONCE MORE I HAVE FOUND-
    Jupiter: Waitnowhoalook. We're alone, nobody watching... Look, we're NOT those guys, and we totally don't have ANY way to bring your family back. Anyway, we cheered when you won. Zeus was a bastard. You'll find me more... Reasonable...
    Kratos: IT MATTERS NOT! MY RAGE WILL NOT-
    Jupiter: I'll BRIBE YOU TO GO AWAY!
    Kratos: YOU THINK TO BUY ME WITH-
    Jupiter: A villa in Rome, a literal mountain made of gold, enough Gallic wine to drown Atlas, and a new vestial virgin for every day of the year.
    Kratos: ....Go on.
    Jupiter: WHEW!

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by trmptfnfr View Post
    I hadn't seen the thread back then

'sides, I'm on Kratos side.
    I just think it's his raging PMS (Of the male variety) and the power of PLOT that'll win him the day.
    Eh, quite likely. Then again, pick a game that doesn't use power of the plot to benefit protagonists. There's a few, but it's a short list.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

[random thought]Y'know, I don't think Kratos would need Lokis help to get out of Hel anyway.
    He'd simply smash up the place 'til Hel dumps him out in the middle of Jotunheim with a sign on his back saying "Screw this".[/random thought]
    Last edited by trmptfnfr; 2010-04-07 at 02:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

The fact that the Norse gods require specific deaths just makes them MORE likely to die in a video game. "Dodongo dislikes smoke." Plenty of games have a puzzle boss that has to be killed a particular way or requires a certain item (that you of course acquired on their level) to kill them. Saying "Ha ha, I am invincible except against mistletoe arrows" pretty much guarantees that the game's protagonist will have the mistletoe arrows at that time or be just a short side-quest away from them. That's just how games work. Seriously, enough kryptonite has been found on Earth alone to rebuild half of that planet. Even if an enemy can only be hurt by his own projectiles, he will still launch them at you so that they can be deflected. It doesn't make sense, but that's how these things happen.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    The fact that the Norse gods require specific deaths just makes them MORE likely to die in a video game. "Dodongo dislikes smoke." Plenty of games have a puzzle boss that has to be killed a particular way or requires a certain item (that you of course acquired on their level) to kill them. Saying "Ha ha, I am invincible except against mistletoe arrows" pretty much guarantees that the game's protagonist will have the mistletoe arrows at that time or be just a short side-quest away from them. That's just how games work. Seriously, enough kryptonite has been found on Earth alone to rebuild half of that planet. Even if an enemy can only be hurt by his own projectiles, he will still launch them at you so that they can be deflected. It doesn't make sense, but that's how these things happen.
    But this isn't a game.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EleventhHour View Post
    But this isn't a game.
    Sure it is. VS Threads don't really have any higher purpose than that.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuaqchi View Post
    For those who don't know, imagine the angels of Judeo-Christian faith, along with sweet pegasus mounts.
    So are they flaming wheels consisting only of eyes or six-winged monstrosities with four animal heads? (Anyway, we shouldn't be discussing this.)

What other cool pantheons can Kratos go kill?

Egyptians were mentioned. They probably have several war gods, but I only remember Monthu, Bast and Sachmet, the lady of slaughter. Created the desert with her breath. However, I can't actually remember any descriptions of any of their deeds in battle.

The gods of the two river lands would be interesting, agreed, if also very, very strong.

What else was around at the time... chinese and various african religions, of course. Indians, but those are too close to modern religions, so we can't discuss them. Who else?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Sure it is. VS Threads don't really have any higher purpose than that.
    But we explicitly, and completely remove " Game elements" from these scenarios. No Plot Power, no "magic items laying around everywhere", no "useable by anyone" magic items, and no obvious weaknesses that everyone BUT YOU seems to know. (example, Dodongo dislikes smoke... despite living in fire.)
    Last edited by Fan; 2010-04-07 at 03:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Then he gets to tango with gods who were able to survive the apocalypse.
    And gets another clobbering.

"I survived Ragnarok. The greatest battle ever, the death of the world. By my side fell the greatest warriors of woman born, at my back the Thunderer and the Allfather met their last foes. I survived when every being, from the greatest to the smallest, fell dead around me.

And you expect me to fall to a coward who fled from the last great call to arms? I think you will find Gods are made of sterner stuff."
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe that there are plenty of Gods who participate and survive, most notably Odins son who kills Fenrir to avenge his death, as well as Thor's two sons (who inherit his hammer BTW.)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Okay, so in order for this to work at all, all of the meta-elements must be removed. Ragnarok and the wyrd of the Aesir/Vanir have to be removed, as does the "this is a God of War game so Kratos must win the battles eventually" stuff.

Make no mistake, depending on the order in which he goes for them, Kratos is going to kill several of the Norse gods in fights. But the upper tier is powerful beyond what we've even seen in the games. Odin, Thor, Tyr, Freyr, Loki, Fenrir, Jormungandr, and Utgard-Loki (yes I know, Jotun) have, in the myths, staggering levels of power.

Thor has a flying chariot, can control the weather, and smash out valleys and level mountains with Mjolnir, which returns when thrown. Loki can change shape to an incredible degree and controls fire. Tyr is the god of single-combat and is said to be just a bit less strong than Thor himself. Utgard-Loki is gigantic, has amazing illusion powers, and can command such nasties as Thought, Old Age, and Fire. Odin has Gungnir, a spear that never misses its mark. Fenrir and Jormungandr are large beyond anything we've seen in the God of War games, oh, and Jormungandr has poison that can slay gods on top of all of that.

Based on the feats we've seen Kratos perform in the games, he'd give them a hell of a fight and would definitely be killing a number of them, but wouldn't have the juice to take the top players. Oh they'd know they'd been in a fight and would sing his glory in the mead hall at Valhalla, but they'd win.

- Yulian

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Yulian View Post
    Based on the feats we've seen Kratos perform in the games, he'd give them a hell of a fight and would definitely be killing a number of them, but wouldn't have the juice to take the top players. Oh they'd know they'd been in a fight and would sing his glory in the mead hall at Valhalla, but they'd win.

- Yulian
    Yeah, I think I agree.

Without backing, or some significant artifacts or tricks gained from the lower tier, he'd never crack the top tier.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2010-04-07 at 07:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    These should be the next few GoW games. Kratos takes on the Norse, Kratos goes to Egypt, etc.
    They probably will be. The series is sure popular enough that I doubt the creators will just let it die now that Kratos has finished slaughtering the Greek pantheon. Too big of a cash cow. And the next logical step is to point the deicidal maniac in the direction of more famous mythological gods so he can keep doing his thing. And with Norse being pretty much the second best-known mythological pantheon in the west, just after the Greco-Roman one, well...

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    They probably will be. The series is sure popular enough that I doubt the creators will just let it die now that Kratos has finished slaughtering the Greek pantheon. Too big of a cash cow. And the next logical step is to point the deicidal maniac in the direction of more famous mythological gods so he can keep doing his thing. And with Norse being pretty much the second best-known mythological pantheon in the west, just after the Greco-Roman one, well...

Zevox
    Of course, there was one of these already, basically.

Viking, Battle for Asgard. Had BRIAN BLESSED! narrating.

Somehow, it still wasn't very good.

Also, stupidly, the plot had a god who wasn't Odin be the one to stab you in the back. C'mon game. Odin is all about the awesome backstabbing for the greater good!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I believe that the creators have acknowledged that there will be other games set in the same world. Plus, there's a hidden page on the site that supposedly is for the new game, whenever they get around to putting stuff up on it.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune