New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I think what K-B was getting at was that the person in question was transgender and biologically female?
    Indeed. He has decided he is a gay man, not a woman, and took offence to me referring to him as a female. I R confuz, but as long as I don't try to grope him, I should be fine.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-06-18 at 07:42 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    >.O

Kind of like that.
    Well in that case it would have been acceptable if he didn't know about it.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Well in that case it would have been acceptable if he didn't know about it.
    I was referring to what you just said.

"transgender and biologically female"

Technically? Correct.
    Socially... that's not really something you should say. Say transmale. Don't say "biologically ____." It's not really polite.

4. - Top - End - #1324

Socially... that's not really something you should say. Say transmale. Don't say "biologically ____." It's not really polite.
    Ah, alrighty. It's very hard to pick a term that actually conveys everything you mean when they're all rather similar. But I probably should have given it more thought, 'cause I can think of at least one other way of saying it that avoids the whole issue, so my apologies.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-18 at 08:05 PM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get awkward about pronouns. When referring to myself on Skype, I tend to use zie and hir cause I can't be bothered to pick one and stick with it. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #1326

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    When referring to myself on Skype, I tend to use zie and hir cause I can't be bothered to pick one and stick with it. XD
    You also tend to use the third person apparently?
    BANG → !

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Lix finds that the third person entertains Lix.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically? Correct.
    Nitpicking word choice at people who are sympathetic towards you is a really good way to alienate yourself.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    Fixed it fur you.
    I see wat u did ther.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Indeed. He has decided he is a gay man, not a woman, and took offence to me referring to him as a female. I R confuz, but as long as I don't try to grope him, I should be fine.
    Ah. Well then he's not a "woman" who yelled at you. Though that's no reason for him to be rude to you for making an honest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Nitpicking word choice at people who are sympathetic towards you is a really good way to alienate yourself.
    I'd say there's a difference between nitpicking and educating someone. Though I guess I'm in the minority there? I prefer to be corrected if I'm wrong but my brother says that most people don't like to be corrected. I do not understand this.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Nitpicking implies... triviality. That is to say, I think you're downplaying the issue too far.

To say "biologically _____" is a pretty major faux pas, at least in the community I'm familiar with (though an unfortunately common one, which is why I didn't go rabid over it). I'm not trying to snootily correct terms (though I may not have had the best attitude, for which I apologize), but rather, tell someone that the language they are using is downright rude, and socially unacceptable to the community being addressed.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really agree, but that's my personal experience, since the group of transmales I've become involved with over the past few months will often explain themselves as "biologically female".

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    Here is one of the times places on the Internet where I feel I can say "ROFL" without being deceptive.
    Sooo... You left your chair, and rolled on the floor laughing?

Technically? Correct.
    But it's true, and is helpful for clarification for people not familiar with the lingo
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-06-19 at 12:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1334

NecromancerGuy

Me, I just hope Kobold Bard's friend manages to figure out what's going on and manages to avoid any kind of cycle of groping blindly in the dark.

Expecting friends to somehow know things without being told in contradiction to previously intimated intelligence and then laying into them over it doesn't fill me with confidence though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Me, I just hope Kobold Bard's friend manages to figure out what's going on and manages to avoid any kind of cycle of groping blindly in the dark.

Expecting friends to somehow know things without being told in contradiction to previously intimated intelligence and then laying into them over it doesn't fill me with confidence though.
    It wasn't proper anger, just a bit of venting (I think) because he'd had another of "the talks" with his family the day before and it didn't go brilliantly.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Most people exist and think in mono, I'm starting to think. Bring up their existence in stereo (you used to be this, now you are that, and this and that are contradictory and true, and I perceive both) and they'll blast you one. Conscious doublethink, circular and self-supporting thought, is the tool.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faceist View Post
    EDIT: Hey, interesting thought! Since Pokemon have to do what their owners tell them to, who would be the dom in the relationship?
    Ideally, the Pokemon.

A healthy Dom/Sub relationship hinges on the idea that when the Sub says "Enough" it is so instantly and without question, without the possibility of travelling further down the offending action path. Especially not with some sort of coercion.

On the current page: Humans and Gender, once again. Honestly, it never ceases to amaze me the extent to which you people psychologically damage yourselves over the smallest things. Arrangement of Fluid sacks. The appearance of a mammary gland. Years of repression (sometimes externalized: even violently) over finding yourself physically attracted to a different group of members of your own species than you assumed you would as a child. And Botox. Ashen Thirteenth, Botox. Who decided that they were more upset by the appearance of wrinkles as they aged than afraid of injecting botulism, one of the more potent *nerve toxins,* into their *head.* Supposedly the site of a nervous system allegedly capable of rational thought.

And you know what I realized recently? The people I know undergoing stress related depression are doing so as a result of their working conditions. They selected the jobs inflicting these depressive episodes to placate their families. Who pressured them to seek more competitive (and hence stressful) educations and professions solely in an attempt to guarantee their future happiness.

That's right. They are doing something they hate because their families want them to be happy, and refuse to leave because their families think that they won't be as happy if they do. And so they chug happy pills by the truckload to avoid suicidal behaviors, which means they have to worry about financing their psychiatrist's visits, which further adds to stress. All because someone else decided years back that they'd be happiest in a few general lines of work, and guilt trips them when they try to stray to something more personally satisfying.

I'm about half an inch from deciding that everyone I know is part of some big set up to mess with my head, and that if I call them on it Candid Camera will come out from inside my closet and say "That's right, we spent decades and a global conspiracy to act in completely nonsensical and counterproductive ways simply to lead to this moment of confusion you see before you." It almost makes more sense to me than the idea that people can become so emotionally dependent on a physical trait that it consumes their lives to such an extent, or that they'd let other people's desire to help and perceptions of their emotional state lead them into situations that damage that emotional state.

I realize that it's an actual affliction, and once an affliction is present you must deal with it rather than repress it into something worse, but WHY IS IT A PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?!!! Why is it that the arrangement of a few cubic inches of flesh is so painful as to require the use of hormonal replacements and invasive surgery procedures to get a fascimile of a slightly different arrangement of the same basic substructure (a few glands, fluid sack, cavity)? And given that it evidently is so painful, why is it made such a hurdle and social stigma to jump through? It's all driving me insane!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And you know what I realized recently? The people I know undergoing stress related depression are doing so as a result of their working conditions. They selected the jobs inflicting these depressive episodes to placate their families. Who pressured them to seek more competitive (and hence stressful) educations and professions solely in an attempt to guarantee their future happiness.
    Huh. That's an interesting way of looking at it. No personal experience of it, myself (everyone, including me, just assumed I'd go to uni. Would've been a surprise if I hadn't, for all of us, but there wasn't actually any pressure), but it sounds about right.

No comment on the rest.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    But it's true, and is helpful for clarification for people not familiar with the lingo
    Doesn't make it any more polite, at least with the people I know.

20. - Top - End - #1340

Not something you want to rub in their face, perhaps, but when explaining a situation it seems more than reasonable to me.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

Because I know people who aren't offended by it, I think its more a case by case PC basis, like how some are offended by being called black as opposed to African American, or how some people would rather be called homosexual than gay.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

22. - Top - End - #1342

Exactly, everyone has different preferences in terminology and different terms of offence. I find it safest to check with people whenever possible. Of course, that can in itself lead to awkwardness, but such is life.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    Exactly, everyone has different preferences in terminology and different terms of offence. I find it safest to check with people whenever possible. Of course, that can in itself lead to awkwardness, but such is life.
    good! don't call me idiotic, uncreative, narcissistic or self-righteous and your fine with me!

of course, not exactly what your talking about, but I think it still applies.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #1344

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    good! don't call me idiotic, uncreative, narcissistic or self-righteous and your fine with me!

of course, not exactly what your talking about, but I think it still applies.
    What about if I call you 'Captain Captainson'?

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    What about if I call you 'Captain Captainson'?
    don't know watchya mean by that so I feel nuthin'.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #1346

I was just picking a random name as a joke. It obviously didn't work.

I feel it's best if we all just move on with our lives now.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Troll in the Playground

I find "transman" and "transwoman" to be needlessly complicated. It doesn't lend itself well to people who aren't familiar with it. After all, you could interpret a transman as a MAN who is a TRANSsexual, or a TRANSsexual who identifies as a MAN. Yes, calling someone who feels like they are, and should be, a woman a "biologically male" person might be somewhat faux pas, but it's the simplest way to explain it, and it's not like they're lying. Generally, I prefer descriptions like MtF and FtM, because they explain what they are in the term.

I generally prefer genderfrak for myself, but that's because I am "Other" on the gender binary, so...
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2010-06-19 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

28. - Top - End - #1348

All this talk about pronouns makes me happy that Finnish doesn't have gender specific pronouns. Though lack of them causes endless hilarity when you need to translate something.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

29. - Top - End - #1349

WolfInSheepsClothing

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I think that clarifies the whole "Gender pronoun confusion" issue.

Though, personally, I do prefer MtF and FtM when trying to convey a person's gender/sex in conversations like this. At least initially. After that "he" and "she" work perfectly fine.

Also, *glomps Amber and cuddles*

Also, also, Jackie has... been giving consideration to possibly seeking counseling and maybe looking into hormone therapy in the near future.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Finnish is an awesome language. Otherwise, all I have to say on pronouns is that I will never EVER use "they" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun (unless by accident). I use "he or she". Sometimes "he".

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Sooo... You left your chair, and rolled on the floor laughing?
    No. That's not what happened at all. I wish I owned a chair.

As for the pokemon discussion, it's over, and I'm not about to make any comment tied to this user name. That's all I'm saying.