New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The March Across Maltak Revisited [Team Callan]

A dry wind blows into a small town on the western edge of Maltak, kicking up small clouds of dust in the streets. For being only the first day of summer, the weather is already hot and dry on this side of the mountains.

The town is clearly a Callanian settlement. The buildings are too blocky and far too permanent to be any orc dwelling. The place used to be a frontier town, so its streets are laid out with only a semblance of order, all of which probably converge on a general store of some kind. The town has grown in the few years since it was founded. It's large enough now that several hundred people probably live and work here, eeking out a living farming the poor soil or sifting the impurities out of prismatic sand.

The town's relative prosperity comes at somewhat of a price. An eight foot high wall of rough timbers surrounds most of the town, proof that the townsfolk aren't taking any chances with the natives, and off-duty Callanian soldiers can be seen mingling with the crowd.

Probably only a fraction of this troubles the minds of the two travelers just arriving in town.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Rajiv

The hot, dry wind was annoying Rajiv as it constantly tried to steal his straw hat. As the villainous breeze tried again he slapped his left hand onto his hat, and painfully forced it down onto his head. The shade it provided helped with the heat bearing down on him, but unfortunately he hadn't spent long close to the pole of Fire, and not even his hat or drafty vest were saving him from the oppressive, tyrannical heat.

"I'll be glad once we're inside somewhere," he mumbled in his native tongue, "but I'd be ecstatic if they had something cold. I might even kiss somebody in my excitement." He attempted to be as talkative as normal, but the heat took his desire for anything but cool shade and cold company.

"So, where to now?" He said, mustering the strength to ask a question as he fumbled with his free hand for the some water. His mind entirely not on the settlement they now found themselves arriving in, and instead on the hot water he was coaxing down his throat.
    Last edited by The Blue Guard; 2010-04-07 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Bold, and Sienna'd
    "Everyfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet." - Grimgor Ironhide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The March Across Maltak Revisited [Team Callan]

Alexi leaned on her staff as she examined the entrance, taking a moment to wipe the sweat from her brow. Though more adapted to the Southern heat than the more talkative of her travelling companions, she still wasn't fond of the summer heat. Seeing that Rajiv was quenching his thirst, she waited for him to stop drinking before speaking. "We see if there's work to be done with the local Luanians. I imagine that there will be those who've suffered battle wounds now that we're further in, which I'm guessing is the sort of injury you're most interested in treating."

Gently nudging under her familiar's chin to wake him, Alexi smiles at Inspiration, who had been using her hair for shade. Still, some water for the ferret would be good. She started to approach the gate guard, gesturing for Rajiv to follow. "I should probably do the talking, unless he only knows Low Realm. You coming?"

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Rajiv

"Of course." Rajiv responded as he lifted his hat to let some air brush against his head, it also revealed that his monkey, King, had been sleeping on his head. "Heat or no, I'm still your bodyguard." He said as he walked after her.
    Last edited by The Blue Guard; 2010-04-07 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Bold, and Sienna'd
    "Everyfing I see is mine. All da uvver bits are mine too - I just ain't got there yet." - Grimgor Ironhide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexi nods and makes her way toward the gate, pausing when her approach rouses the guard to a ready position, or at least as ready as could be expected. Upon making eye contact, she'll wave hello and address the guard in her native Callanian dialect of Flametongue. [Hello, soldier. My bodyguard and I were wondering if the services of a healer and her apprentice would be of use around here.]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The guard rubs his chin. "Around here? Not that I know of. You could probably find work further east, what with all the fighting going on, but that's quite a trip and the piggarts have started hitting the supply caravans."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

[In other words, the supply caravans would appreciate a healer and bodyguard.] Alexi cracks a grin, glancing over her shoulder at Rajiv in thought. They'd need to find a caravan where they could keep cool... And preferably run by those who are eager for conversation. She turns her attention back to the guard, taking a moment to wipe a bit of sweat from her brow. [You wouldn't happen to know when the next caravan is heading out from here, would you?]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"I suppose they might. I don't know when the next one's leaving, but the captain would. He's commandeered a house near the general store as his temporary headquarters. Just look for the division flag by the door."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

[Thanks for the directions, soldier.] Alexi glances behind her and gestures for Rajiv to follow as she makes to enter the settlement. "Raids have been hitting the caravans, we'll be able to do the most good hitching a ride with them to head further into the front. Want to make any stops before asking when the next one leaves?"

10. - Top - End - #10

"Nothing that can't wait until after." He finally replied after a moment of wiping his face clean of sweat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

As you head for the headquarters building, you notice a cluster of children down a side street, jeering at something in the middle of the group. You can't help but overhear some of their name-calling.

"Hey! The mutant is starting at us!"

"Whatcha gonna do, fang-face? Sic your little teddy bear on us?"

Spoiler
    Show

Alexi has Compassion 3, so: (3d10)[2][4][5](11)
    Looks like you don't necessarily need to do anything about the situation. You can if you want to.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2010-04-10 at 01:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Perking a brow, Alexi gestures for Rajiv to follow as she moves to investigate. She could think of a few possible scenarios for the mutant's presence, and none of them justified what these children were doing. Still, they were just children, so she'd need to mind her language. For the moment, Riverspeak. "I hope you don't mind a slight detour, but I can't see this ending well for anyone without early intervention."

13. - Top - End - #13

On his own Rajiv would have ignored the childish name-calling, but he couldn't help but get caught in her wake. It wasn't that he didn't care, but as a younger man fresh from home he had turned to help every man, woman, and child that needed it. As a slightly older younger man he learned the futility of helping everyone. "The board is large, and the game is long." Nodding sagely at, what he thought, was a nice sentence for future students to ponder over before he followed her. Maybe add something about pieces, and not spreading yourself thin, he mused as he walked. Then again, I don't want to make the lesson too easy. Man... this is hard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Though sometimes he, and everyone, feels moved to champion a cause even if they know that their efforts are futile. An example is his efforts during the plague in Callan.
    Last edited by The Blue Guard; 2010-04-10 at 11:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

As you approach, you see that the children surround a disheveled little girl, backed up against the wall of a house and clutching a worn teddy bear as the other children laugh at her. The girl's otherwise normal face is marred by two short tusks jutting up from her distended lower jaw. The girl stares at her tormentors with tear-filled eyes, looking for a shred of respite and finding none.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexi rests her staff against the wall just outside the perimeter of the gathered children. Bending over their heads, she reaches out of the girl with the intent to lift her up and away from her tormentors. [She didn't do anything other than have a mutation that she didn't have a choice in. Half of why we're here is to try to change the land for the better, and the last time I checked tormenting little girls didn't contribute to that. I'd appreciate if you were to help with that, rather than cause trouble for those that don't deserve it.]

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma 3 + Presence 3, and I also have Appearance 3 if that impacts the mental DV of the group of bullies. I'll be flurrying Presence, Compelling Behavior in both instances: The initial attack will try to get them to leave the girl alone, while the followup will try to convince to go help someone in a constructive manner. The latter will be bolstered by channeled Compassion 3, while the former will receive the benefit of any stunt dice.

Leave Her Alone - (6d10)[1][8][8][10][3][4](34)
    Go Be Helpful - (8d10)[7][6][6][3][1][1][3][6](33)

It seems I forgot the penalty for multiple actions. S'what I get for posting late. However, your method is to remove the last dice, so away with these things.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Suddenly chastised by an adult, the children scatter. Some even have the decency to look sheepish as they disapear between the houses. Soon you are left alone with the little girl, hugging herself tightly to your chest.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

[It'll be alright...] Alexi slowly kneels to the ground, still holding the girl in a sympathetic hug for a moment. She pulls her head back, allowing a curious Inspiration to peek out from under her hair. [Although I don't know what languages you know.] "Hopefully we share a common language." <I'd hate to put my friend over there on translation duty if you speak Low Realm.> {Perhaps Foresttongue?}

Her statement regarding Low Realm is made in High Realm, with a nod toward Rajiv.

18. - Top - End - #18

Rajiv, not very pleased with the current development, looks at Alexi accusingly as she talks gibberish. "What now, mother hen?"
    Last edited by The Blue Guard; 2010-04-12 at 11:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

["Everybody is just so mean."] She just holds on tighter, burying her face in your shoulder.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

[Well, part of being young is not knowing any better. Doesn't make it right by any means, but you shouldn't hold it against them.] Alexi glances at her shoulder, nodding her head slightly toward the girl indicating that Inspiration should hop on, hoping the ferret could cheer the girl up. [I'm surprised your family is letting you wander around on your own, though. Any idea where they are?]

Alexi gives Rajik a glance. "Get her safely to her parents, ideally."

21. - Top - End - #21

Rajiv continued to look at Alexi in an accusing way as he spoke, "fine."
    Last edited by The Blue Guard; 2010-04-13 at 12:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Inspiration cuddles around the girl's neck and nuzzles her cheek, causing her to lift her head and then almost smile, but your question brings fresh tears to her eyes. ["No. Mama, she...she told me to wait here and she never came back."]

23. - Top - End - #23

Rajiv continued to look very annoyed, and accusing, at Alexi before turning his gaze to the girl who had just spoken a sentence of familiar gibberish. "What's she saying?" He inquired.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexi instinctively reached out to wipe the tears from the girl's eyes, trying to maintain a smile despite the implications of the girl's words. If this meant what it seemed like it meant... [And what about your Papa?]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

If it was possible, she looks even worse now. ["Mama said Papa wasn't coming home ever again."]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

[Oh... I didn't- I'm sorry.] Alexi gives the girl another hug, holding back a sigh of frustration at the girl's situation. It wasn't what she had thought, at least assuming that but it didn't make it any better. After a moment, Alexi pulls back and looks the little girl in the eye. [It isn't a good idea for a little girl to be out on the street on her own. Odds are the Luanians would be willing to take care of you until your Mama comes back. Unless you can think of someone else, of course.]

Alexi then looks at Rajik. "Ideal isn't an option, looking for alternatives."

27. - Top - End - #27

Another orphan. It shouldn't have surprised him, or hurt him, but it did. His annoyed and accusing expression melted away. He caught himself thinking about how satisfying it would be to drop kick one those brats across the road. "Does this place even have an orphanage?" Rajiv thought out-loud as he walked back to the lip of the alley.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

The little girl says nothing, just hugs her teddy bear tighter.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"The Luanians did it for me. Mind grabbing my staff?" Alexi gently lifts the girl up, looking over the skyline for signs of the local mission. She had to think of a way to distract the girl from the situation, too... [Does your teddy have a name?]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

["Mookie"] You spot the yellow painted wood sunburst of a Luanian church above the houses, not too far away.

The church is a fairly humble wooden building, a peaked roof and a number of large glass windows its most ostentatious ornamentation. A single priest, robed in white and purple, is the only one inside at this time of the day, tending to the altar. He comes to meet you as you enter. ["How can I help you?"]

Spoiler
    Show

Am I being bad?
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2010-04-15 at 01:42 AM.