New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXXII - Imperfectly Rebooted

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Which is why i kept including the phrase 'as far as we know'. Obviously, there might be more, and in fact there probably are. But if you don't have info either confirming or denying, you do without.

'Galaxy wide' is hardly near.
    Now who's not making sense? Apparently your listening skills need some work.
    Okay, here's how I see things:

Earth's universe has a huge amount of unexplored terrain, and because we have found no alien life in our little drop in the bucket you say our universe has less.

Avbaroy's universe has a huge amount of explored terrain, and has therefore found a lot of alien life. Therefore, you say Avbaroy's universe has more life than ours does.

That's like two farmers: One guy has never used his field and claims it can't support growth. The other plants crops every year and gets a decent harvest. Does the first guy have a less fertile field? Or is that just his assumption?
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-22 at 09:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Now who's not making sense? Apparently your listening skills need some work.
    How could you tell that fact from a text based conversation? (you're right, i'm just curious)

Okay, here's how I see things:

Earth's universe has a huge amount of unexplored terrain, and because we have found no alien life in our little drop in the bucket you say our universe has less.
    What part of 'AS FAR AS WE KNOW' is not crossing through your brain?

Avbaroy's universe has a huge amount of explored terrain, and has therefore found a lot of alien life. Therefore, you say Avbaroy's universe has more life than ours does.
    AS FAR AS WE KNOW!!!!

Come to think of it, it's not really all that germaine to the point anyway: if life occurs often in a universe then the same form of life springing up is not all that unlikely.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

3. No, they aren't. The aliens we see are all just more advanced and therefore capable of space travel. Aliens in real life clearly are not.
    Woah woah wait what?

Am I misunderstanding this? How is it at all "clear" that aliens in real life are not capable of space travel?

Also, MM, Grem...just chill. Is Fay breaking the rules of ABR as outlined in the first post in any way? No. Is having human-like aliens actively causing real problems for the people involved in the plot? No. So why are you making this a big issue?

Seriously. Just let it be, y'know? This is a collaborative effort, and that means being willing to play ball with the other people involved even if they do something that offends your delicate sensibilities.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    Woah woah wait what?

Am I misunderstanding this? How is it at all "clear" that aliens in real life are not capable of space travel?

Also, MM, Grem...just chill. Is Fay breaking the rules of ABR as outlined in the first post in any way? No. Is having human-like aliens actively causing real problems for the people involved in the plot? No. So why are you making this a big issue?

Seriously. Just let it be, y'know? This is a collaborative effort, and that means being willing to play ball with the other people involved even if they do something that offends your delicate sensibilities.
    Shh, i want to see how long this goes! LOL just kidding.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Woah woah wait what?

KP, please calm down. We're trying to have a debate here. Just like we did over the Ogre incident, though I technically was breaking no rules. Oh, and passive aggressiveness is rather rude.

Kuma, I get the 'as far as we know' bit, but you stated the whole thing as if it were fact, like is was set in stone that Earth had less life-sustaining planets in its universe.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Banned

Kuma, I get the 'as far as we know' bit, but you stated the whole thing as if it were fact, like is was set in stone that Earth had less life-sustaining planets in its universe.
    Pot, this is kettle. come in, over.

That's what you do when you include that phrase: 'as far as we know' automatically means it's not a set-in-stone fact, there's no need to do so any further.

Also: DON'T. CALL. ME. KUMA.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Pot, this is kettle. come in, over.

That's what you do when you include that phrase: 'as far as we know' automatically means it's not a set-in-stone fact, there's no need to do so any further.

Also: DON'T. CALL. ME. KUMA.
    Excellent, another way to anger people by names!
    Kuma, I didn't mean you said it was set in stone, I mean that you treated it like it was when you listed it. That's all I'm saying.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Remind me again why any of this matters? This is fantasy. In a world where much stranger and more implausible things are possible, having aliens who look like humans isn't exactly that weird...

9. - Top - End - #459
    Orc in the Playground

Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Remind me again why any of this matters? This is fantasy. In a world where much stranger and more implausible things are possible, having aliens who look like humans isn't exactly that weird...
    Thirded? .... Double-Seconded? Either way I agree with this as well. For all we know there are too planets identical to each other in every conceivable way, the fact that it is stupidly improbable is irrelevant. As long as it is even a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000001 in Quadra-super-billion chance than in a fantasy work we have total liscence to use it!
    Last edited by Fin; 2010-04-23 at 01:26 AM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

So, at least four people saying that it doesn't matter, and two saying it does. I'd say that as a collaborative project, the verdict is "It doesn't matter."

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure if you counted me, I didnt count them , but just to be sure I also think it doesn't matter, especially because this is still fantasy.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    So, at least four people saying that it doesn't matter, and two saying it does. I'd say that as a collaborative project, the verdict is "It doesn't matter."
    Except this isn't a democracy. That's not how it works. We don't vote, we work out the problem until we can all agree. Unanimous or nothing.

I think it makes sense to Fayte to make ONE change, probably an unnoticeable one. Maybe they have large ears. Or maybe their eyesight is poor and so they have excellent noses. Stuff like that. But a few minor differences are all it takes for me to agree.
    Not exactly like humans, though. In my opinion, that's taking this too far.

/\ Actually, it's more like Sci-Fan.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-23 at 09:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Except this isn't a democracy. That's not how it works. We don't vote, we work out the problem until we can all agree. Unanimous or nothing.

I think it makes sense to Fayte to make ONE change, probably an unnoticeable one. Maybe they have large ears. Or maybe their eyesight is poor and so they have excellent noses. Stuff like that. But a few minor differences are all it takes for me to agree.
    Not exactly like humans, though. In my opinion, that's taking this too far.

/\ Actually, it's more like Sci-Fan.
    Sci-Fan still has fan.

They're Fay's characters anyway so it's her choice. I'm not cmplaining about your character looking exactly like a cat and still being able to talk like a human.

Also as far as I remember the race who created the first sovice also looked remarkably human.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2010-04-23 at 09:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Sci-Fan still has fan.

They're Fay's characters anyway so it's her choice. I'm not cmplaining about your character looking exactly like a cat and still being able to talk like a human.
    Yeah, I was just pointing it out as an aside.

The Ogres (to mention them again)were my creation, but there was still objection. There's a limit to how unrealistic something can be. Even in fantasy, you're supposed to respect probabilities.

Oh, and the cat is awakened and therefore magic allows him to speak Common(the same way Xykon's speech is explained).

I seem to recall that the Janni had some differences.

Look, people, I'm not asking for much. All it takes is a few minor changes and I'm fine with it. But exactly like humans? No. Carping. Way.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-23 at 09:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

This has gone beyond the point of difference.

Isnt this universe created by gods? Can'T gods just copy other god's ideas if they like them? (beside the point that most gods seem to look like humans, nd like to create stuff after their own image)

16. - Top - End - #466
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't see the problem, surely even if there is just a 0.000000000000000000000001 chance, there still is chance, and if gods made this universe they could easily copy something, they are gods after all, so just leave it, it doesn't matter.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

17. - Top - End - #467
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by licoot View Post
    I don't see the problem, surely even if there is just a 0.000000000000000000000001 chance, there still is chance, and if gods made this universe they could easily copy something, they are gods after all, so just leave it, it doesn't matter.
    Dude, MM already went over this. Gods cannot, because they're limited to their planet, and Overgods don't care. How hard is it to make them non-identical? Not so hard, Fayte would never even have to change his templates.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-23 at 10:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, MM already went over this. Gods cannot, because they're limited to their planet, and Overgods don't care. How hard is it to make them non-identical? Not so hard, Faywould never even have to change Hertemplates.
    That's only the Gods of Avboroy.
    Fayte's pantheon (which I'm actually writing the effective Bible for) might not work in that way, but basically what im saying is that just cuz MM says something only makes it work for X but not Y or Z

In this case, Fayte is from X and therefore isnt governed by the laws of Z unless it is a law of the WHOLE alphabetic.
    And no one person can make the laws for the whole alphabetic.

Also please start getting my name and gender right Grem.
    I'm not getting annoyed, but it is somewhat irritating.
    Also I will end up reporting you for trying to aggravate me by purposefully calling me the wrong name and also gender.
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    Besides if what MM said WAS true, then Fayte's gods would then be on Avboroy as if he believes in them there is purpose to be there.
    Last edited by Fay Graydon; 2010-04-23 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXXII - Imperfectly Rebooted

Quote Originally Posted by licoot View Post
    Didn't I use this argument about three times already?

But nevermind, if you guys don't stop this madness and let the poor girl have her fun then I WILL sing, you have been warned
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-04-23 at 07:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-04-23 at 08:09 PM.
    ____

22. - Top - End - #472
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    I need to lighten up? He's the one who started yelling at me. And he's the one who threatened to report me.

Also, I'm afraid I don't know what 'gaurding' is, so I can't help you. Now, if you said guarding...
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-04-23 at 08:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

I don't read walls of text, and when I see them I assume someone is pissed or a bit boring. When I read the smaller comments they were pretty damn angry, so excuse me for thinking you guys are going crazy.

... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5- i'm going to set your nest on fire.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2010-04-23 at 02:54 PM.
    ____

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

I don't read walls of text, and when I see them I assume someone is pissed or a bit boring. When I read the smaller comments they were pretty damn angry, so excuse me for thinking you guys are going crazy.
    Um...wow. I guess this explains why you never take part in debates.
    LOOK OUT! READING!

6, 7, 8, 9, 10--I'm going to put a dictionary in your home.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-23 at 02:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So can my damn lizard gaurd a damn key!?
    Sure as hell... Waitaminute I don't believe in hell, eh, sure as the sun?

We are pretty much making FFF:R up as we go along so we don't have much in plans of what is guarding what or anything.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, if it's explained by gods, then I don't mind. What I mind is Crystaria's humans having evolved naturally (in the Real Life™ way), which would be practically impossible.

Although I liked the Alternate Universe idea, it would have been easier for Fay to introduce more Crystarian characters.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Um...wow. I guess this explains why you never take part in debates.
    LOOK OUT! READING!

6, 7, 8, 9, 10--I'm going to put a dictionary in your home.
    Screw the damn winking thing, this thread is starting to piss me the hell off.
    ____

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Screw the damn winking thing, this thread is starting to piss me the hell off.
    Cookie of apology?

Just don't be mad at the thread, it's not it's fault
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

The thread totaly.

I don't want a cookie.
    ____

30. - Top - End - #480
    Banned

Yipety!
    Also, CA, I'm sorry to mention your age, but I think that language is a bit harsh here.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2010-04-23 at 03:14 PM.