New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Help me with this half-template.

I got the cool idea to have a game where all the adventurers are half-breed, and I'm trying to make a table with the template. That's where you guys come in. How does it look?
    {table]Inherited from one parent|Inherited from the other| Inherited From Both
    Size, height,weight|Hair, skin, and eye color|Ability Score Mods
    Racial bonus on checks|Racial Bonus on saves |Spell-like abilities
    Special Vision qualities (Darkvision, Low-light Vision, Dazzled in bright light, etc.), if any |Dodge Bonus to Armor class, if any| Weapon Familiarity
    ||And any other abilities not specifically mentioned here.[/table]

NOTE: Half-(Father's Race) (Mother's Race)
    For example, a Half-Dwarf Gnome would have -2 STR, -2 CHA, and +4 CON (+2 from both gnome and Dwarf), and be able to speak Common, Dwarf, and Gnome. He could inherit his mother's +2 racial bonus on Listen checks and +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks, OR his father's racial bonuses on Appraise and Craft checks (stonecunning too, as it's based on Search Checks), but not both. If he inherits his mother's check bonuses, he gets his father's save bonuses, and vice-versa. If he inherits his father's Darkvision, he'd inherit his mother's s Dodge bonus to AC. He'd be able to treat dwarven waraxes and urgroshes, and gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic ones, and he'd have two favored classes: Fighter AND Bard.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2010-04-23 at 11:02 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help me with this half-template.

At first glance, it seems fine. I'm not the expert on balance and min-maxing, though. Threre could exist combinations that are broken with this method (but that applies to everything, I guess).
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Help me with this half-template.

This will sound creepy, but it was among the collection of PDF books I got from a friend. It was labled D&D 3e - Book of Sex. It may not apply exactly to half TEMPLATES, but it has a huge long section later in the book about what a pregnant female character can go through, deal with, have extra, and what kind of abilities and stats the child would have based on the parents. We ran a campaign once where the DM actually used this book (chick DM, was interesting having her using this evil tome!) and she used her drow NPC to seduce a half dragon fighter and she got knocked up o.0 Yeah, the book is that detailed, but we actually made the full stat blocks for what the TWINS would have for stats as adults. Very VERY detailed for that.

Might give you something to start with for half-templating.
    Sir Ouranos Helaine, The Silver Wing, Paladin of Bahamut
    By Blood And Honor, We Serve.