New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] Gold of the Phantom

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: For the sake of communication, Don Juan may swap Speak Language (Reikspiel) for (Estalian) and Common Knowledge (the Empire) for (Tilea), like the other characters did at the start of the campaign. Reikspiel will not be of any use in this game.

The barkeep threw an annoyed glare at the newcomers who had the galls to disturb the quiet hours before morning.

"If yer looking to hire men," he grunted, "here's not the place an' surely not the time. Are you goin' to order something else?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don Juan gave a polite tip of his hat to the bartender, "Perdon, mi amigo." He said, "I will be finished up here soon enough."

He then gave a quick clear of his throat, his Tilean was fishy at best, and- with any fortune- he wouldn't make a fool of himself with the foul language of the piss-water-supping folk, "I am...fluenza in your language." He stated, feeling slightly revolted by the fact that he was actually speaking the filthy language of the cowards without the words "Disgrace" and "Poor swordsmanship" being brandied.

"Pardon my...lack of verboise skill in this language." He continued on, grimacing once or twice as he heard himself botch the words, "But is there anything you can tell me of this Vixen work you need done?"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

"We're on a treasure hunt," declared Gino, loud enough for everyone in the tavern to hear.

The other customers did not stir. Either they did not believe him or they were too drunk to care. Most likely the latter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Time-skipping now: I'll go on hiatus from June 26 to July 2, and I want it to coincide with the end of chapter 1. I'm assuming Don Juan agreed to join the crew. If captain Lanois wishes to fill him in about the details, I will PM a summary to Gunther.

Introducing Henrik Meijer, played by Guardsman.

Henrik

Henrik Meijer rose with the sun, as he did every day, and was one of the first men waiting for employment on the wharfs of Porto Real. For the hundredth time, the squire wondered what could possibly have brought him to this tiny port. In places like Luccini or Tobaro, there would be plenty of wealthy captains eager to hire such a fine fighter to protect their ships from pirates. Here, though, his talents were wasted. The only captains in Porto Real were poor fishermen who sought to hire even poorer fishermen. Sometimes one of them hired Henrik for the day, but only for low-paid rowing duty.

As usual, Sam the Strong was the first man to find an employer today: although too poor to buy his own ship, he was one of the best rowers in Porto Real. The next one was Mumbling Miguel, a sour old man who was willing to do any dirty job for a copper.

[hr]

Renard, Svan and Gino

Svan and Gino in tow, captain Renard Lanois strolled on the wharfs, silently evaluating all unemployed seamen with a cold, critical eye. There were about a score of them, all trying to attract his attention by showing off their rowing muscles or whining that they had families to feed. It was not often that a stranger came to hire men, and this one looked fairly rich by their standards.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-06-21 at 04:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground

Henrik stood with the rowing idiots in his usual stance, that of a bored man using his spear as a walking stick to lean on. It was the same day in and day out with being a rower while the rather strong moron got most of the work. Earning your way into Knighthood was through trials that tested every ounce of your being and surely this was a trial of endurance.

The Squire decided to simply just stand up straight while looking like a well trained man. How he would stand compared to Sam the Strong was a tad bit troubling.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"So!" said Renard. "You want to join my crew, eh? Well, we only hire the best of the best aboard the Vixen, messieurs! The finest ship to sail the Gulf, or any other ocean for that matter."

He began to pace down the line, eyeing his prospective employees one by one.

"I'm looking to take on crew for a very risky venture. You sign on with me, and I promise you you'll be a rich man or a dead man by the end of the month." He stopped next to one of the men, chosen at random. "You, sir!" he exclaimed, beginning to fire off questions at a dizzying rate. "Are you willing to stare Death in the face and spit in his eye? Are you bold and resolute in the face of mortal peril? Will you obey orders with unquestioning loyalty? Are you free of ticks, fleas and other vermin of the hair and skin?"

Before the man could answer, he clapped a hand on his shoulder, grinning broadly.
    "Excellent! You're all hired." He gestured grandly to the inn behind him. "Please report to my elven colleague, who will pay you your bounty for joining. Half a crown a head! A sign of things to come, mes amis."

OOC: Terribly sorry: somehow I missed your update going up, Sentinel.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

The men stared at Renard — most with bewilderment or hesitation, some with interest, others warily.

"You ain't a pirate, are you?" asked one suspiciously. "Got a family, y'know. Don't want to find 'em hanged by the guv'ner when I get back."

"Uh. I don't usually work long-term," said another. "Can I get paid in advance? My old mom's gotta feed herself while I'm gone."

"Is that yer ship?" said a third, critically, pointing at the Vixen. "It's not very big. How many men you got already?"

"I'm with ya!" barked a third, an unkempt, middle-aged man with the look of someone who had nothing to lose. As if his boldness encouraged the others, two more men joined their voices to his.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    @ LCP: Keep in mind that the Vixen is a small ship and that life at sea is already bad enough with a moderately-sized crew. You can't hire more than, say, half a dozen crewmen before you have to sacrifice some cargo space that would best be used for treasure.

Another option is to hire fishermen with their own ships.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"I assure you, we are engaged in nothing illegal," said Renard, addressing the first speaker - then the second. "As for you, if you are looking to stay near here, with your mother and your fishing-nets, then why are you here, wasting my time, eh? Off with you! And anyone else who thinks my voyage is a trip around the island! Dame du Lac, I thought you were sailors, not fishwives."

He turned for the others.

"Yes, it will be... a little crowded, perhaps, a little close. Such is life. Mes amis, the opportunity is yours, to take or to throw away. I can tell you only one thing for certain - that those of you who stay behind will envy those who came with us for the rest of their lives. While they are working the grounds of their manors. What is a little 'ardship for such a prize, eh?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't hire more than, say, half a dozen crewmen before you have to sacrifice some cargo space that would best be used for treasure.
    Our whole plan revolves around capturing another, larger ship. Sacrifice away!
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the men seemed impressed with Renard's commanding tone and confident attitude, but others were clearly skeptical. At any rate, the captain's offer had attracted more men on the wharfs, mostly poor fishermen but also a few foreign mercenaries and ruffians.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Renard will have to roll an untrained Charm test (with a +10% bonus because he's being very charismatic) to determine how many men he can convince. A few will join him even if he fails, but a success (or even a narrow failure) would sure help. Bonuses may be provided if he raises the salary, offers to pay in advance, tells the men about the treasure, etc., but he has to decide to do these things before he rolls the test.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing he had their attention, the captain went for it.

"Do you wish to know," he said, softly, "what it is we are looking for? For why I wish to hire you?" He raised a finger dramatically in the air. "Captain Lanois will tell you. It is gold, mes amis, a king's ransom in gold, lost - so that it may be found again. Every man who sails with me will have a share - and every man with a share will be rich as a prince, I promise you that."

He pulled a gold coin from his pocket, raising his voice to a shout as he raised the shiner above his head.

"As I said before, there is half a crown's bounty for every man who joins! You will be paid a wage! But it is nothing compared to the prize!" He strode forwards amidst the onlookers, picking out a new member of his audience for each sentence. "For this prize, mes amis, you must be willing to work. You must be willing to fight. We sail under the orders of Admiral Romano of Luccini, for the same blackguards who pursue this treasure have stolen his blushing bride, who is great with child. That is why he has hired Captain Renard Lanois!" he cried, stepping up onto a crate and spreading his arms wide. "That is why he has hired the Vixen, the fastest ship on this or any sea. That is why I am hiring you! Join my crew, sail my ship - rescue the damsel, and seize the treasure!"

"Leave your nets for your wives and daughters to tend. Mark my words, messieurs, you will bring back enough from this voyage to turn this port into a paradise. Are you fishermen, or are you heroes, eh? Join my crew, spare yourself a lifetime of toil, and go down in history." He gestured to the little fishing-boats bobbing in the harbour, and grinned. "Of course, if one of these gentle captains has a better offer, I understand."

He leapt down from his perch, striding through the crowd once again.

"If not - if you are a man with any courage in you - follow me!"

Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[87]

D'oh
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-06-23 at 11:24 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

"You talk like an used ship salesman," sneered one. Several of the men laughed at that.

"Sounds like you're just lookin' for cannon fodder an' floor scrubbers," said another. "D'you think we ain't got no pride just 'cause we ain't rich? D'you think we'll do just any dirty job for a copper?"

There was a murmur of agreement. But despite the general skepticism, six men stepped forward with obvious eagerness. Those did look like people who would do just any dirty job for a copper: beggars, drunkards and at least two who bore the brands and tattoos of ex-convicts. The dregs of Porto Real.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, that was disappointing. This speech would have been worth a fairly good bonus, but of course that's still far from enough.

You can ask someone else (for example Dairuin, currently on auto-pilot) to talk to them, but there will likely be a penalty since Renard's first impression failed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #192

Henrik seeing this as a gift from Mannan for being so damned faithful he decided don his shark skinned skullcap and chain coif as well as reaching into his pack and putting his tabard of the Knights Mariner over his chain shirt. Looking more like a squire and less like a damned washed up mercenary rower he raised his spear.

"I shall join you Captain for I have more courage than all these men! I, Henrik Meijer of the Knights Mariner accept this job without question if you say that you are not a scoundrel!"

With all the pleasantry aside he rested his spear against his shoulder and looked rather dashing, the young squire haven't felt this invigorating feeling for some time. Oh Mannan how your scorn has put this young Squire in a grueling place only to find your loving embrace with the seed of hope.

"Lead and I shall follow Captain." The young Squire proclaimed with such youthful spirit.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Gino, by now around the back of the hopefuls, curses as Renard goes through his tacky-sounding speech. From an orator's lips, it could have sounded good, but it was somehow appalling. To save this expedition, Gino shoulders, pushes and kicks shins until he has reached the front of the crowd, at which point he stands next to Renard and tries to cut n imposing figure, pushing his cloak aside, revealing his gleaming mail and freeing an arm to half-draw his sword, which he does.

"Do I look like a swabber of decks? A piece of cannon fodder? I don't believe so personally, and I've been fighting for Lanois for months. And I'll tell you this, he delivers on his promises."

...more scared of the living...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained Charm test (target 19) for Gino: (d100)[15]

Encouraged by the mercenary's confident tone, several of the men on the wharf argued excitedly with each other. One young fisherman hesitated for a minute, then steeled himself and walked over to Renard's side, as if daring the others to do the same.

"You crazy, Miguel?" snickered another man. "You don't need that much money, your father's the mayor."

"Okay, so I have a roof over my head," retorted Miguel, "and maybe I can buy a fishing boat one day. So what? I'll still be fishing from dawn till dusk every single day of my life until I'm old. Don't wanna waste my youth in this sad excuse for a town when I could be studying at the university of Tobaro or somethin'. I think I deserve better. We all do."

While he spoke, five more men joined him at Renard's side. The Vixen now counted twelve new crewmen.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-02 at 09:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, you see?" said Renard. "Miguel here knows what he wants. The rest of you - well, you have made your choice, non? Enjoy your little fishing-boats."

Acting as if he couldn't care less about recruiting more crew, he turned to those who had joined him. "This way, gentlemen! This way, and collect your bounty."

OOC: Last-ditch attempt to reverse-psychology them - am I permitted another Charm test?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the men on the wharf threw a look at the town's ramshackle fishing boats, undecided. Compared to them, the Vixen looked like a galleon worthy of a prince.

"Ah well," declared one, "we live only once. Hey, captain, I'm with you!"
    "Me too!"
    "Me too!"
    "Wait for me!"

Four more men volunteered for a job aboard the Vixen.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know four men isn't much for a successful test, but most people willing to join you have done so already.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"Tres bien," grinned Lanois. "As for the rest of you - enjoy your lives. I know I wouldn't."

Gesturing grandly, he set off towards the inn, and Dairuin's recruiting desk. "This way!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

The paperwork was filled out quickly, with only half-hearted attempts on Dairuin's part at making it look official: the tide would not last long and the Vixen had to depart within the hour. The new crewmen, nervous at first, appeared to relax after signing their contracts (most of them with just an X), now that they had the comforting knowledge that it was too late to turn back. One of them offered a round of drinks to celebrate their departure, and a few ran off to say goodbye to their families.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Chapter 1 ends when the Vixen leaves port. I want to be done with it quickly, so I'm giving the players 24 hours to do whatever they want to do before we're off to Gannet Crag.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-02 at 11:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"A round of drinks?" said Renard. "A capital idea. But, it would be remiss of your captain not to pay for the first round, eh?" He signalled to the barman. "A drink for each of my men!"

Lanois turned to the recruits. "The Vixen will sail on the next tide. Now, we celebrate, and then, you must make ready. Bid goodbye to your families, and gather up what weapons you have - it is best to be prepared for danger, no?" He slapped the nearest one on the back. "But for now, drink and be merry - for tomorrow, you die!"

He paused.

"Well, not literally," he added. "A, ah, figure of speech, non?"

With a slightly disconcerting grin, he took his own drink and headed to one side to speak to Gino and Svanhildur.

"Many thanks for your assistance there, monsieur Gino," he said, acknowledging the mercenary - seeing the Estalian standing behind them, he raised his eyebrows. "And who is this fine fellow?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #200

Don Juan removed his hat with an elegant flourish, giving a respectful bow to the Captain. "Hola, senor." He greeted, "I am Don Juan, una maestro de violencia!" He declared proudly, placing his hat back onto his head with one hand and tapping the guard of his rapier with the other.

"I am an Estalian Diestro, capitane, here to serve aboard your crew for a brief sojourn! I hope it will be a pleasure to serve with you!"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Renard raised his eyebrows, smiling slightly.

"As do I," he said, returning the bow. He glanced sideways at Gino. "A good find. We can use a man who knows what to do with a sword." His eyes flicked back to Juan. "I take it you do?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

"Indeed."

Gino would normally have said more, but it's been a while since he's been called on to do anything other than earn his keep and no more. Bored, he returns to the Vixen to drink from his cask of mead.

...more scared of the living...

23. - Top - End - #203

Don Juan gave a sharp laugh, "Mi amigo!" He declared with a short chuckle, "Had I wished it so, I could easily disarm- en la fashione dramatica- your crew, Capitan!"

He flashed a smile at Gino, "But yes, senor, I am more than skilled con una weapon de la senor honorable. The less...civil weapons I can wield just as well, but I would hardly see a good reason why to slash about like some barbaric Ork!"

24. - Top - End - #204

Sir Henrik Meijer of the Knights Mariner didn't really have much to say on the matter. While leaning on his beloved spear he decided to just stand by several of the hired men and just wait for the moment that he would be put on the vessel. Although he was wearing a tabard that obviously heralded him as some form of Knight or Squire and the young man was wearing chain mail compared to the usual rabbles clothing or leather he still kept with the crowd.

Finding that he'd probably be at sea for some time the Squire would order a tankard of honey mead as the last drink as a land lubber. If he was with any rowers that he spent some time standing by he'd pay for that man/possibly woman's drink as well and hand it off, as it was right to give a fellow rower a drink before they spent time in Mannan's domain.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Renard raised his eyebrows, and grinned.

"You are a modest man! I like you." He glanced around the bar. "Perhaps you will have a chance to put that sword arm to the test before long."

Looking over his shoulder, he raised his voice slightly.

"Of course... now that we have a knight mariner here, you may be playing second fiddle, eh?" he laughed. "Monsieur!" he said, calling to Henrik. "What brings a man such as you here?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-07-05 at 06:26 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Vasco tugged on Renard's sleeve.

"Let's hurry the chitchat, 'kay?" said the halfling impatiently. "The tide won't last forever. We're ready to set sail any time you say the word."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Renard nodded. "Then consider it said." Making to leave, he paused, turning to Gino. "Make sure the new recruits have all their effects, and get them onto the ship. It's time we were going."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Svanhildur looks up from her drink, "About time, another hour of this urine and I'd have gone mad, let's go." She grabs her effects and shuffles off after Gino and the crew, adding the occasional prod and harsh word to speed them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

A few orders were barked here and there, and the crew of the Vixen quickly drained the rest of their drinks. By now the recruits looked more excited than nervous. Warriors or not, they were men of the sea — to some of them, going to sea was like going home.

OOC: Chapter 1 almost over. I'm giving the players a bit of time to wrap up discussions and prepare to embark, but that's all. (This time, when I say 24 hours, I mean it.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #210

Sir Henrik decides to pick up his bag and get moving with the rest of the recruits. The Squire noticing he was acknowledged by the Captain with his Bretonnian accent decided to atleast give the man somewhat of an answer.

"The tide brings me here great Captain, I've been washed ashore it seems."

An answer was an answer none the less and with his belongings he moved on to board.