New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Touhoumon - Gotta Graze 'Em All!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I anger more easily at Roark. Brock went down pretty easily to my Bulbasaur, but that Cranidos...

Highest attack power of any unevolved Pokémon, no secondary type (so no 4x weaknesses), high Speed and Headbutt.
    You have not see the many levels in Badass that Brock (and every other gym leader) has taken for Touhoumon. Just you wait.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I anger more easily at Roark. Brock went down pretty easily to my Bulbasaur, but that Cranidos...

Highest attack power of any unevolved Pokémon, no secondary type (so no 4x weaknesses), high Speed and Headbutt.
    Wait, what? Sorry, I haven't played a thing since gold/silver. Or is Cranidos some old pokemon that I forgot about?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Wait, what? Sorry, I haven't played a thing since gold/silver. Or is Cranidos some old pokemon that I forgot about?
    Cranidos is 4th generation, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

I do love Heal Bell, but the thing is, it's not really all that necessary in a game where I'm still allowed to use items mid-battle (this isn't competitive netbattle, after all). Personally, I think it's more of just a novelty to have, with the added benefit of being useful for removing multiple status effects at once.

Or maybe we should add a stipulation for no item use during battle? I already have a self-imposed Set battle style only anyway. That would make Heal Bell a whole lot more valuable.

In other news, remember what I said in the first post about how the type chart was also changed for this game? Yeah...I should probably mention that among other things, rock-types lost their weakness to both water and ground. Just one more reason why Brock is much, much harder now.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-05-08 at 04:21 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I am going to go with Drascin's recommendation since i don't really know any of these ones very well. I'll go with Sunny Milk as well. And Drascin if you can point me in the right direction, i'd love to read those comics.
    No problem at all! Info below, spoilered to avoid huge derail. As you know, I'm a tad too wordy for my own good at times .

Spoiler
    Show
    ZUN has made three lines of comics.

The Three Mischievous Fairies follows the adventures of three perfectly normal, weak fairies (the kind that look to Cirno as a kind of World Heavyweight Champion and are terrified of even thinking of fighting her three-on-one) doing little pranks and going around in their life. It helps show a bit of Gensokyo's simple daily life - it's not laugh-out-loud funny or anything, but more a kind of "Gensokyan slice of life" style, in a way... only with fairies . There have been two issues of it, Eastern Little Nature Deity and Strange and Bright Nature Deity. I'm having a hell of a time finding the last chapters scanlated, but they have the first ones at Mangafox, even if translation is sketchy - a quick search of Touhou gives us Touhou Sangatsusei, which is the name of the series. Oriental Sacred Place goes later, but you'll notice it's left mid-translation, sadly, and with Gensokyo.org's gallery down I dunno where to re-get them. I'll get back to you.

Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth is a series of 4-koma comics in the vein of Azumanga Daioh, but starring, as its name indicates, Reisen Udongein Inaba and Tewi Inaba - the rabbit of the moon, and the rabbit of the Earth. Pretty funny in many places, and even as a kind of nonserious omake it does give you a bit of a feel for the life in Eientei (poor Reisen...). The link is here. It's completed already, but the latest couple chapters had cameos from the new characters from...

Silent Sinner in Blue, the latest Touhou manga, and an attempt by ZUN for a more continuous storyline. However, this comic is, well... let's just say it's more or less an instant flamewar in every Touhou forum just to mention it. With horrid pacing, the introduction of new characters Watatstuki no Yorihime and Watatsuki no Toyohime (who were highly disliked in the fandom almost instantly, and then proceeded to kick the collective asses of the whole main character ensemble without breaking a sweat to much fan outrage), and a chapter publishing schedule that would make Kentaro Miura ashamed, there are many who believe this manga was pretty much a troll by ZUN to his more hardcore fanbase. I personally just find it annoying, because it is true you could cut almost half the chapters from it and not lose anything really important, but not rage inducing - the ending just makes up for the boring middle chapters in my mind. However, I leave you a link here so you can see for yourself if you wish.

And i think you underestimate my clumsiness. I managed to fail PE and after two months in China, i still regularly drop food when trying to eat it with a chopstick. And just as importantly, i just don't have the patience to develop the kind of skill needed to complete a Touhou game. I like the characters, but the gameplay is not much to my taste.
    And it's perfectly alright if it isn't. I just was saying that being clumsy isn't really all that big an obstacle if you really love the gameplay, since I am fairly clumsy myself and go around 1CCing most of them pretty well (except SA. That game is evil) after some practice .

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Or maybe we should add a stipulation for no item use during battle? I already have a self-imposed Set battle style only anyway. That would make Heal Bell a whole lot more valuable.
    If you're looking for self-imposed challenge, I say go with Hard Mode.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Unless a self-imposed hard mode will make the game significantly more fun for you, i'd say to skip it. It is more fun to vote on the Touhou characters you like than to have to carefully balance who is best and most useful in a given case.

7. - Top - End - #97

Well, I usually refrain from ever using items in battle unless absolutely necessary (too used to netbattle), so playing without items in battle is pretty standard for me. Don't think I'll be doing "hard mode", though, as that challenge was designed for a game with much, much easier bosses. And excessive level grinding isn't fun to watch.

Speaking of which, there is a Lunatic version of Touhoumon that makes the game ridiculously hard. To give you an idea of how bad it is, from what I've seen Brock requires a team at level 30+ to defeat.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Unless a self-imposed hard mode will make the game significantly more fun for you, i'd say to skip it.
    What Terra said. Also, in that case, get a grass type. Quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #99

What Terra said. Also, in that case, get a grass type. Quickly.
    One of Wriggle's evolutions (the one I'll probably end up using) is Bug/Grass, but she's not exactly built to special sweep. I'll probably end up using her as one would use Vileplume or Delcatty: Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, a status move, a self-recovery move, and a STAB attack.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

One of Wriggle's evolutions (the one I'll probably end up using) is Bug/Grass, but she's not exactly built to special sweep. I'll probably end up using her as one would use Vileplume or Delcatty: Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, a status move, a self-recovery move, and a STAB attack.
    See, the way I would use them would be to leave them back in the computer while using a selection of high-tier sweepers and no concept of subtlety.

In short, I'll leave being Sun Tzu to you, since this is apparently harder than normal Pokemon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #101

Kinda off-topic but...Starcraft 2 Touhou!

12. - Top - End - #102

Let's Play Touhoumon - Chapter 1-5

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's welcome our latest addition to the team, the star of lapis lazuli, Souseiseki!

Wrapping things up in the Viridian Forest, I continued to capture the other new Touhoumon for the Ayanote. Doing so kind of bothered me, though. I mean, I probably wouldn't like it either if I were sealed in a ball and shoved into a PC to be forgotten. Perhaps I ought to just let them go after catching and getting the data.

I also took the opportunity to round up the remaining straggler of a trainer in the forest. Honestly, the more these kids pester me, the more I'm starting to see the red-haired stranger's point.

After getting these side events out of the way, it was time to look forward to my next challenge: conquering the Pewter City gym. But before I was ready for the challenge, I decided I needed some more preparation. So...

Training montage!

This being my first visit to a gym, I wasn't really too sure what to expect, but it never hurts to be prepared. If I wanted to see that red-haired stranger from the forest again, I'll have to visit several more places like this too.

As soon as I entered, I was stopped by a boy who was clearly not a unified physics major.

He was also clearly not a particularly competant battler, wasting all his turns on uses stat-down moves without giving himself enough time to follow it up.

His next Touhoumon was much more difficult to deal with, though. Chibi Letty may have wasted a few turns with more stat-changing moves, but it had the defenses and type combination to endure our attacks. A quick and effective Tremor was lights out for poor Souseiseki.

Fittingly enough, Shinku picked up from where Souseiseki left off, and gave the kid a lesson in astronomical units.

A quick trip to the Eirin Center, and I was ready for the main event. At this point, I could make some lame pun about rocks, but I think I'll refrain. It's about time I wrapped up this chapter.

My apologies for the video audio being a bit out of sync after a while. It was my first time recording with VBA, so if anyone has advice, that'd be nice.

(So...next time I should get Lunasa and nickname her Kanaria? Too bad we missed Medicine; she would have been a good Hinaichigo.)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

What? The? Scar?

Is everything you encounter female or are does this have any of the series... 3 and a half(?) males in it?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-05-09 at 10:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    What? The? Scar?

Is everything you encounter female or are any of the series... 3(?) males in this.
    Considering that Touhou is a pink bishoujo ghetto, any character of importance will be female, with the exception of Genji and Rinnosuke. Not sure if Unzan is present on an individual basis rather than represented by his hitbox. I'm also not sure if the orb from Highly Responsive to Prayers counts either.

Otherwise, Wriggle is the closest thing to a male in Gensokyo due to her style of dress.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Considering that Touhou is a pink bishoujo ghetto, any character of importance will be female, with the exception of Genji and Rinnosuke. Not sure if Unzan is present on an individual basis rather than represented by his hitbox. I'm also not sure if the orb from Highly Responsive to Prayers counts either.

Otherwise, Wriggle is the closest thing to a male in Gensokyo due to her style of dress.
    Close, but you're missing one more male character. Youki Konpaku (Youmu's father/mentor) is also playable.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

I know that, I am just asking if the "gender" symbol next to the name had no variation in this hack as Touhou males that can be counted on one hand with a damaged finger (Shingyoku=1/2) and what that would do for say... attract. Looking back trough the shots though, I have noticed there is a male here (which raises further questions...).
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-05-09 at 11:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Nice one on the evolution, but did pre-evolution Wriggle's cape look Palpatine-ish to anyone else?

Also, that's not the gym I remember. Aside from being high level, most of it wasn't rock-type (and I still don't know why Letty isn't Ice). Looks a lot harsher, anyway, like you said. Wasn't expecting that music to come up, either

I have basically no opinion on your question - Marisa should handily annihilate the next gym anyway. Vaguely on-topic, though: Does this music seem Pokemon-y to anyone else?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I know that, I am just asking if the "gender" symbol next to the name had no variation in this hack as Touhou males that can be counted on one hand with a damaged finger (Shingyoku=1/2) and what that would do for say... attract. Looking back trough the shots though, I have noticed there is a male here (which raises further questions...).
    Most Touhoumon have about a 5% chance of being male. This is for the purposes of breeding to pass on egg moves (yes, it's implemented in the game). Please try not to think too much about it (call it Gameplay and Story Segregation, if you will). For this Let's Play, I might as well just ignore this fact.

Attract is no longer in the game. It's been replaced by some other move.

Regarding the selection of my team and dropping characters in the future, I think I'll just keep them on reserve. That way no one who's been part of the team will be truly gone forever, and I'll be able to vary up my team for different activities. I don't mind the extra training involved.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-05-09 at 11:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Most Touhoumon have about a 5% chance of being male. This is for the purposes of breeding to pass on egg moves (yes, it's implemented in the game). Please try not to think too much about it (call it Gameplay and Story Segregation, if you will).
    Or it's a different explanation that starts with f and ends with uta. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't google it. Seriously.

Vaguely on-topic, though: Does this music seem Pokemon-y to anyone else?
    Personally, I think of mecha when I hear it for some reason.

*runs away before the audience starts throwing rotten vegetables*

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Personally, I think of mecha when I hear it for some reason.

*runs away before the audience starts throwing rotten vegetables*
    Eh, they're interchangeable, really. There's quite a few Pokémon themes that wouldn't really sound out of place in Super Robot Wars .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-10 at 06:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It was a Kanako = Guncannon joke.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground

For this Let's Play, I might as well just ignore this fact.
    I think not! Your public demands adorable Sakuyaling SCIENCE BABIES.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

I have to agree with Kami. Sakuya and Meiling's fan created child is too adorable to not have effort put into acquiring...never mind that the game would just give you a Sakuya or a Meiling.

And i think Tengu has the simplest explanation for how this is possible. Not sure why it is so horrible that people shouldn't google it, though.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-05-10 at 06:40 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually prefer to think that wriggle is a boy. It's cuter that way. The weakest and the woobie/punching bag of team nine which consist of mostly girls? Of course it's a boy.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was a Kanako = Guncannon joke.
    DETAILS.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    SCIENCE BABIES.
    But I don't think Sakuya is compatible with Rikako?

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I actually prefer to think that wriggle is a boy. It's cuter that way. The weakest and the woobie/punching bag of team nine which consist of mostly girls? Of course it's a boy.
    Well, "weakest" would depend on the particular doujin, but in the games themselves... weakest would be Rumia, or Daiyousei, if you're counting her. Wriggle at least has a Last Word that is harder to beat than Sakuya's .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-10 at 06:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

The reason for things such as Sakuya/Meiling babies? Pick one.

• Magic
    • Eirin's shady new drug
    • Yukari is fooling around again
    • It's a Moria Shrine conspiracy

And yes, I know templates like that are forbidden.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

And i think Tengu has the simplest explanation for how this is possible. Not sure why it is so horrible that people shouldn't google it, though.
    Because you will get hentai. Wikipedia it or something, instead.

The same is true for all words the meaning of which you don't know, but which sound suspicious. Including "hentai".

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

So? A little porn never hurt anybody. Not like you were talking about some of the really horrible stuff out there.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Anybody, you say? Ask the creator of Earthbound how it worked out for him. Or people who get caught browsing for porn by their boss/parent/SO.

In short, I disagree. NSFW warnings exist for a reason. Let's end it here, it's getting offtopic.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-05-10 at 09:35 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Well, "weakest" would depend on the particular doujin, but in the games themselves... weakest would be Rumia, or Daiyousei, if you're counting her. Wriggle at least has a Last Word that is harder to beat than Sakuya's .
    Interesting fact: in this version of Touhoumon, all Imperishable Night characters (including Wriggle) have a Last Word form that are all pretty much Game Breakers (base 600 stat totals, which would make them Ubers in Pokemon tiers). They evolve into this form using a Sun Stone, which aren't normally purchasable until you complete everything in the game.