New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: BleachITP Reborn: Discussion & Setup Thread 5

The reason why I wanted to set the game some years in the past was to help isolate the characters and phoenix town itself. Nowadays you can quite literally hold the world in a tiny device that fits snuggly in the palm of your hand. In a few senses current technology is actually ahead of what the soul society has, at least as far as absurd and useless conveniences in hand held devices. I see no problem in land lines computers, little game console things and maybe even non-multi-purpose cellphones but all these little things should rise no higher then being background noise in a game centred around the spirit world. It was mentioned by another that they wanted technology to be downplayed in this game and I agree with this sentiment. I think there should be far more reliance on spirit devices from the soul society, ye olde shop or some other black market vendor. All this serves to encourage characters to interact with things and people related to the setting rather then the mundane, it also helps avoid alot of the necessity for handwaving that can be read in previous posts.

Now this is it's own world with it's own history and is of course not bound to our own timeline. I was not arguing that it should as our own timeline but technology should only carry so far into this game and "make it like the 90s" seemed reasonable enough. Bleach itself is as Draken stated, quite vague about time. While this is so, I always regarded the world as somewhat dated. I think, between doodling voluminous orbs, the creater thought along similar lines, also he had probably started working on the concept in late 90s.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

...How does modern tech invalidate spiritual tech?

Purely mortal technology can't interact with spirit beings in any way. The only true concern of technology is the whole "record the mortal kids in a fight", and we've already addressed a few ways that can be brushed under the rug, barring a specific plotline (likely involving Zarah's reporter character).

Otherwise, I don't see the point in restricting the mortals from having their modern tech.

I mean, seriously. I don't plan on episodes centering on my character using a Blackberry. Do you? No matter what the tech base, it's going to be background noise. So why try to force people to restrict themselves to "early 90s"?

Better to just not worry about this "issue" at all.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Like others have said, he's good.

Two things that stick out.

1.)With his shikai, you mention a "maze of gears", but then make it sound like his sword hilts just end in the steam spout. What happens to this "maze"? Mostly I'm having trouble forming a mental picture.
    The hilt basically is a spout, but the section Emet holds is covered in interlocking gears.

2.)His first attack is 1 letter off from my Captain's name. "Masuru": Attack name. "Masaru": Captain name. Just thought I'd point it out.
    Eh, he won't be shouting it out often, given it's largely a passive thing.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    The hilt basically is a spout, but the section Emet holds is covered in interlocking gears.
    So, there's the blade, then the hilt. The grip section of the hilt is covered in a bunch of little gears. The end of the hilt angles out and spouts steam. Do I have the right of it?

Eh, he won't be shouting it out often, given it's largely a passive thing.
    Just thought I'd raise the concern.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

So, there's the blade, then the hilt. The grip section of the hilt is covered in a bunch of little gears. The end of the hilt angles out and spouts steam. Do I have the right of it?
    Indeed you do.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, seriously. I don't plan on episodes centering on my character using a Blackberry. Do you? No matter what the tech base, it's going to be background noise. So why try to force people to restrict themselves to "early 90s"?
    If anything everyone having a cell phone can further plots because characters would have a believable reason for being able to quickly alert each other and meet up to do something like fight a hollow. I don't see the problem either.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just realized something. My character, Myojin Isamaru, is a samurai. His last name is an anagram for Samurai. Weirdness...
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

8. - Top - End - #998
    Pixie in the Playground

@above: Thats what soul phones are for, it makes their owners "special"

Do whatever then, but I'll likely bring this up later.

On a related note, Knightdisciple, you made a point of stating that you wish world to have "technology slightly ahead of our time." Is there a particular reason for this?
    Last edited by Free Hand; 2010-05-17 at 11:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Free Hand View Post
    @above: Thats what soul phones are for, it makes their owners "special"
    Soul phones do more than let people talk over distances. Those things cross dimensions.

Do whatever then, but I'll likely bring this up later.
    No, let's settle this now. I don't know about other people, but I'd rather you not suddenly bust into the OOC when we're hitting our stride, insisting that we "tone down the tech.

On a related note, Knightdisciple, you made a point of stating that you wish world to have "technology slightly ahead of our time." Is there a particular reason for this?
    ...You're going to have to point to where I said those exact words. Because I can't find it over the last few pages. So. Quote + post link, please.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    I just realized something. My character, Myojin Isamaru, is a samurai. His last name is an anagram for Samurai. Weirdness...
    He's just that awesome. Clearly, his profession was predestined.

On the topic of technology, I will simply suggest that if you don't want to be involved in it, don't involve yourself in it. If you never use YouTube, it shouldn't matter to you that some video of some guy jumping across rooftops showed up on the internet. Most sane people would just assume it's "some crazy guy" and move on with their day anyways.

If you don't like there being cellphones or computers, don't have your character have one or just have them not know how to use them. Kina isn't going to get a cell phone unless she finds out that all her friends have one and having one makes her "cool." It's highly possible that your character, say, had a bad experience with phones in his/her past and refuses to use the cellular variety. Perhaps he/she had a computer once but it died and he/she was just too lazy to replace it. Maybe your character doesn't have the funds to support owning such objects.

Your character(s) don't have to use the technology available if you don't want to. If you do, it's there. I think this situation is, frankly, better for everyone.

As for isolating the characters, the Mediums are all going to be isolated whether they have technology or not. None of them are going to assume there's some place online to talk about the supernatural powers they've gained. Most people, even online, are going to call them crazy or insane or assume they're writing some kind of fiction story. They wouldn't be able to communicate with each other unless they already knew each other, and who says that they do? You don't go around telling random people "hey I can turn into a black-robed swordsman if I eat this piece of candy."
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Pixie in the Playground

Soul phones do more than let people talk over distances. Those things cross dimensions.
    And they also let people talk over distances, and locate hollows, and they can have cool matching sentai designs to em, or they will if I have anything to say about it.

No, let's settle this now. I don't know about other people, but I'd rather you not suddenly bust into the OOC when we're hitting our stride, insisting that we "tone down the tech.
    No lets not settle this now because obviously you aren't seeing the same things that would bother me. You're not budging and I'm not budging and so there is no resolution.

I may be thinking too hard but if things do end up in a certain direction I will bring this up again.

...You're going to have to point to where I said those exact words. Because I can't find it over the last few pages. So. Quote + post link, please.
    ....Certainty!

...I don't see why we can't set this in the modern day, albeit keeping it vague beyond "modern day". Any differences in architecture and such would be explained by different local societal and economic factors.
    Again, staying vague beyond "modern" is our best bet. If someone has a cell phone, let's not freak out on them, yeah?
    You mentioned it twice, I found it odd.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

He wasn't using beyond in the sense you mean.

What he was saying that we needn't go any further than saying the available technology should be kept vaguely modern.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's my fraccion character. Criticism, comments, questions?

Name: Tono “El Puerco Espin” Emidio
    Position: Fraccion to (?)
    Reiatsu: Dark Red
    Height: 6’ 1”
    Weight: 150

Spoiler
    Show

Appearance: Tono is a thin man, with a mane of black hair pulled back in a ponytail. His aqua-colored eyes are always darting around, as if he is watching everything at once. In the way of clothing, Tono wears the standard arrancar uniform, with the edition of a long grey trench coat. The inside of this coat holds his zanpakuto, El Gran Asesino. His hollow hole is in his right shoulder. His mask fragment is a monocle with a targeting reticule over his right eye.

Personality: Tono is cold and calculating. His actions are swift, as are his words. Tono speaks very fast, sometimes so fast that some of the slower arrancar have trouble understanding him.

Zanpakuto: El Gran Asesino is a six inch stiletto with a black handle and a bone white blade. Instead of trying to fight with the dagger hand to hand, Tono prefers to throw it at his opponents. This works well, as after it is thrown, El Gran Asesino returns to Tono after it is thrown. Two seconds after hitting(or missing) its target, El Gran Asesino appears in Tono’s hand. Tono is very skilled in the use of El Gran Asesino, both in throwing and melee. When it’s not being used, it is strapped just inside is coat, for quick attacks.

Resurreccion: Rellena los lleno de agujeros, El Gran Asesino!: Tono spins El Gran Asesino around his fingers and throws it into the air. He glows red and a high-pitch whine can be heard. Tono doubles over, his torso shaking. Then, from his back, Tono sprouts twelve six-inch bone-white blades. These blades, when used, sink into his back and appear in his hands, with grey cloth handles. They can then be thrown, or used to stab his opponents.

Abilities: Tono is very skilled in throwing knives, and will almost always be able to hit his target, even when moving(him, the target, or both). Tono is also very skilled at dodging, for the times when he is without a weapon.

Last edited by CMOTDibbler; 2010-05-17 at 03:05 PM.
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Barbarian in the Playground

My arrancar was planned to have a minor, yet odd obsession with human technology, IE the watch, and if it's available he'll also jack a cell phone, but it won't work in hueco mundo. Or he might steal a PSP if we're doing full modern! Ha.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

And they also let people talk over distances, and locate hollows, and they can have cool matching sentai designs to em, or they will if I have anything to say about it.
    Yeah. They locate Hollows. Which standard technology cannot do. The only people who will be able to use technology to do so are those already "in the know".

As for the "cool matching sentai designs", I think we can just say that reiphones can be personalized by the users, so far as appearance and interface go (everyone organizes differently and all.

No lets not settle this now because obviously you aren't seeing the same things that would bother me. You're not budging and I'm not budging and so there is no resolution.

I may be thinking too hard but if things do end up in a certain direction I will bring this up again.
    I'd say you are.

Look, everyone else has pretty much said there's no reason to tinker with the setting. There's no real issues to saying it's "modern".

I mean, Zarah's "intrepid reporter" would be looking into this stuff if it was the 20's just as much as if it's the 2010's. Beyond that, the magic word "cover-up" makes everything better.

....Certainty!

You mentioned it twice, I found it odd.
    He wasn't using beyond in the sense you mean.

What he was saying that we needn't go any further than saying the available technology should be kept vaguely modern.
    ...Yeah, what Edge said here. I was saying "We don't need to go beyond saying 'It's modern times'.", not "let's have futuretech!".

Edit: If I had wanted to say our time/tech should be more advanced than current technology, I would have said: I don't think it should be anything other than a vague "beyond modern".

Instead, I said: beyond "modern". Just FYI.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2010-05-17 at 12:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Pixie in the Playground

As for the "cool matching sentai designs", I think we can just say that reiphones can be personalized by the users, so far as appearance and interface go (everyone organizes differently and all.
    How boring of you

...Yeah, what Edge said here. I was saying "We don't need to go beyond saying 'It's modern times'.", not "let's have futuretech!".
    So you're saying that no possible underlining implication of intention to bring up some hokeny technology? Not that I'm saying I thought that, but specifically stating as you did made me question.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

How boring of you
    Think that if you wish, but I'd rather not forcibly saddle characters with designs they may think are silly or even stupid, when instead we can say these things are customizable.

So you're saying that no possible underlining implication of intention to bring up some hokeny technology? Not that I'm saying I thought that, but specifically stating as you did made me question.
    Well. I don't entirely understand what you're trying to say here.

If you're asking if I'm totally ruling out any mortals ever every developing something beyond what we have available in the real world, then no, I'm not saying that. For one thing, that kind of leaves SWORD up a creek. For another, it would prevent someone from making a mortal whose ability is mainly "create crazy gadgets".

I was merely saying that the standard technology level should be analogous to what we have available in reality.

I asked you where I said I "wish world to have "technology slightly ahead of our time."". Because I hadn't actually said that, so I wanted you to point out where it was you thought you saw it, so I could correct your erroneous conclusion. I rather dislike people attributing falsehoods to my statements.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Pixie in the Playground

Well. I don't entirely understand what you're trying to say here.

If you're asking if I'm totally ruling out any mortals ever every developing something beyond what we have available in the real world, then no, I'm not saying that. For one thing, that kind of leaves SWORD up a creek. For another, it would prevent someone from making a mortal whose ability is mainly "create crazy gadgets".

I was merely saying that the standard technology level should be analogous to what we have available in reality.

I asked you where I said I "wish world to have "technology slightly ahead of our time."". Because I hadn't actually said that, so I wanted you to point out where it was you thought you saw it, so I could correct your erroneous conclusion. I rather dislike people attributing falsehoods to my statements.
    Geez I think you're reading too much into things, that certainly wasn't remotely along my "own line of thinking."

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Geez I think you're reading too much into things, that certainly wasn't remotely along my "own line of thinking."

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Orc in the Playground

*bangs pans* Time out, guys. Honest, this seems like it will get real ugly really quick.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    *bangs pans* Time out, guys. Honest, this seems like it will get real ugly really quick.
    Treating me/us like children isn't helping either.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

KD, I believe that's called attempting to use humour to lighten the mood.

Now, it's not necessarily good humour, or humour you like, but it is an attempt it nonetheless.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Orc in the Playground

Then why not just all take a step back and cool off, when humour starts to come across as insults one must step back to double check why.

No need for any involved party to get confrontational
    And thank you Darwin for the awesome Sterlingtar.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Orc in the Playground

Trust me, if I were treating y'all like children, you'd all be bare-bottom spanked while kneeling on corn and holding lit candles.

Honestly, I don't want to see this get ugly.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

Don't take offense, it's just part of being Hakumen. The Just Sword has no time for other, insignificant people!

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Don't take offense, it's just part of being Hakumen. The Just Sword has no time for other, insignificant people!
    *chuckle* Good thing there are no bakeneko around.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

KD, you must be real stingy to not have bought a sense of humour. Look, we're even holding a sale over here! That, or get yourself a good (or really bad) cup of coffee to ease your crankiness.

On the whole technology thing, I hate to drag this out again, but... in our setting, spiritual things have existed, always. They're universal, and if there was any chance they would attract attention, it would've happened already. Take the implications as you will.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Orc in the Playground

Karakura in particular tends to be a real hotspot for spiritual battling, and yet it never made the national news in TV in canon Bleach.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Karakura in particular tends to be a real hotspot for spiritual battling, and yet it never made the national news in TV in canon Bleach.
    Well, we don't actually know that, do we? I mean, the rest of Japan may as well not exist in Bleach. There's almost no mention in-story of places besides Karakura, Soul Society, and Hueco Mundo.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2010-05-17 at 02:46 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Orc in the Playground

I suppose, but that also means that people outside of Karakura don't seem to go there much. And then there's Don Kanonji, whom is widely respected (?) as a medium in TV (I can't remember whether he was supposed to be a nationwide celebrity or local) and no one so much as raised an eyebrow during the whole event with the abandoned hospital...

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show