New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Starcraft Books

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Starcraft Books

Seriously, has anyone read them and are they worth reading? I like Starcraft and thought the books looked pretty interesting, but it isn't exactly library material, and I just want some sort of idea on how they are before/if i buy them.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft Books

Quote Originally Posted by Krade the Inebriated Sorcerer
    Seriously, has anyone read them and are they worth reading? I like Starcraft and thought the books looked pretty interesting, but it isn't exactly library material, and I just want some sort of idea on how they are before/if i buy them.
    I read the first one a looooonnnngggg time ago. It's basically you're average video-game-inspired-book. It's great if you want to shut off your brain for a few hours to enjoy some blood, guts, and corny dialogue. If you want that, read it. If you want something that'll make you think, avoid it like the plague. Hell, if you've already beaten the game, you know pretty much all of the plot already except for one or two things that specifically happen to one or two characters.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I read the pamphlet book thingy that came with the Starcraft Battle Chest.

That was fairly interesting.
    Groom to the Haberdasher's Daughter.

Freddy Krueger by Ink, Flabbicus by Lord Herman, Rilik by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Liberty's Crusade is simply a retelling of the first game from the point of view of Micheal Liberty a character (reporter) added in who becomes friends with raynor, kerrigan and mengsk and hates duke. It's allright for a quick read.

Shadow of the Xel'Naga is simply a seperate story taking place on a no name planet that gives some background to the creators of the Zerg and Protss. (hicks abound!) It has a nice action scene where a small village must defend itself from a horde of attacking zerg. It's odd to see the protagonist manually take the missle turret and fire it at the ground to take out some hydralisks. Ultimatly it turns into a three way Terren Zerg Protoss bloodbath.

My personal favorite Speed of Darkness is the telling of the Terran mission on Mar Sara where you have to hold off the zerg before the dropships arrive from a soldiers point of view. It gives background to the evils of the Confederacy and also a very inspiring ending. (just so you know the soldiers arent the ones you control in the game its liek they are a seperate party, really nice quick read)