New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Runic Warrior [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Ralasha View Post
    Replying: bottom up:
    Runic Perfection: Instead of taking 5 rounds to cast a 5th level spell, you take only 1 round. The ability to switch costs allows you to negate the experience penalties for enchanting arms and armor.
    I seem to have made a mistake in reading the previous abilities then, as it seems that you create pseudo-scrolls for later use, which would make the relatively small decrease in time moot.

Runic Armor, has no costs.
    Okay.

The effect is stored until used. Simple. I will reword it so that it the runic warrior can declare which it does.
    Right. Simply stating such does wonders, however. Better to be verbose sometimes than leave out potentially crucial data.

Runic lore is intended as fluff. Any runes are runes. Runic blade says swords, because they are only proficient with swords.
    I figured as much on Runic Lore. However, a Runic Warrior could gain proficiency with other weapons via multiclassing or feats, so allowing them to apply their class abilities to such is good.

Runic Imperium does not mean that you can craft scrolls, regardless of having the feats required. It means simply that you are capable of mimicking spells, casting them, in other words. They last as long as the spells duration. They can only be cast at the spells lowest caster level.
    I suppose it was the mentioning of "costs" that threw me off on this then. It still seems a little vague to me, however.

Bonus Feats: It is indeed intended thus.
    That still seems odd to me. It seems a tad arbitrary to do so, rather than just having it be "Bonus Feat: You gain a feat for which you qualify."

A constant dodge bonus would help in single combat, but not as much when being swarmed. the maximum number of threats is 27. Thus if surrounded by reach and melee the maximum number. you'll have a 27 dodge bonus.
    A constant dodge bonus helps independent of number of enemies. It does not matter how many people threaten me. If I have a dodge bonus, it applies equally to all of them. The obvious exception to this is the Dodge feat itself and a few of its derivatives. As for the maximum, there is no theoretically limit to it when considering things like the Swarmfighting feat. Case in point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I seem to have made a mistake in reading the previous abilities then, as it seems that you create pseudo-scrolls for later use, which would make the relatively small decrease in time moot.
    I figured as much on Runic Lore. However, a Runic Warrior could gain proficiency with other weapons via multiclassing or feats, so allowing them to apply their class abilities to such is good.
    And those other proficiencies would still not give them the ability to usethat on other weapons, It is intended thus. Runic Warriors abilities only work with a sword, because only a sword has enough area for the scripts required to do such things.

[QUOTE=Thrice Dead Cat;8534434]That still seems odd to me. It seems a tad arbitrary to do so, rather than just having it be "Bonus Feat: You gain a feat for which you qualify."[/QOUTE] They may take any feat including fighter feats, but not metamagic, or item creation. This is because there are no rules for handling metamagic when used by one. I suppose you could increase the casting time, which could negate the entire purpose of having Runic Perfection. They have a longer casting time than other classes because they have to draw the runes.

A constant dodge bonus helps independent of number of enemies. It does not matter how many people threaten me. If I have a dodge bonus, it applies equally to all of them. The obvious exception to this is the Dodge feat itself and a few of its derivatives. As for the maximum, there is no theoretically limit to it when considering things like the Swarmfighting feat.
    A constant dodge bonus also helps more against oen opponent, because there is less of a chance of being hit. The idea is to balance the issue of the more enemies the more likely you're going to get hit.

What DM in their right mind?

Besides, I believe it states in one book or another that a swarm counts as an individual creature.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Swarms aside, don't forget about tiny and fine creatures. You could get surrounded by quite a few of those, especially if they have reach weapons.
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #34

And you'd get one hell of a nice AC boost. Effectively countering their size bonuses.

The ultimate in multi-purpose class abilities.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2010-05-21 at 08:29 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

But now consider getting that bonus with mixed enemies. Getting a +10 to AC while fighting a bunch of pixies and a troll? Yes please.

It works, it just seems kind of funny. It makes up for something that would be a disadvantage (being outnumbered), effectively turning it into a strength. This isn't a bad thing, it's just that the rational for it is "You're in a bad situation, therefore you are now in a good situation."

It's sort of like giving someone +4 strength whenever they're silenced, giving them a huge bonus to escape artist when they're pinned, or similar. Now, it's not bad to give them such advantages, it's just weird when the reason they get those advantages is that they're in a bad situation.

"Alright, fellow monsters and NPC's, now the adventuring party has a character that actually gets better when you put him in disadvantageous situations, so after we take out the rest of the party, we're going to change up our tactics. No paralyzing him, flanking him, or otherwise hindering him. Instead, we are going to offer him a nice meal, a spa treatment, and a coupon to Chucky Cheeze's. That should keep him from getting any buffs, and make him a much easier target as we send our men in one by one (so as to avoid giving him benefits for being outnumbered.)

"Couldn't we just attack him while he's flatfooded at the spa?"

"No, we thought of that, but it turns out he actually gains 20 temporary hit points per character level if he's sneak attacked. It helps make up for the disadvantage of being caught off guard."

And now I am done being cheeky. ;) For now.
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

And those other proficiencies would still not give them the ability to usethat on other weapons, It is intended thus. Runic Warriors abilities only work with a sword, because only a sword has enough area for the scripts required to do such things.
    Right, but I say that that is not necessarily good design, as it seems to be an arbitrary limitation on the class ability. Your reasoning that "only swords have room" is also jank, as broadaxes could easily match the area needed for the runes. Alternatively, they just write smaller.

They may take any feat including fighter feats, but not metamagic, or item creation. This is because there are no rules for handling metamagic when used by one. I suppose you could increase the casting time, which could negate the entire purpose of having Runic Perfection. They have a longer casting time than other classes because they have to draw the runes.
    You're the one making the class, so you can easily adjudicate the rules for such. After all, nothing is stopping a Runic Warrior from grabbing a metamagic feat as a normal feat.

A constant dodge bonus also helps more against oen opponent, because there is less of a chance of being hit. The idea is to balance the issue of the more enemies the more likely you're going to get hit.
    Right, but, often times, when you've got a PC surrounded by dudes, said dudes will likely not have a high enough attack bonus to be a serious threat, least you enter an area where the PCs are intended to lose. As wonky as the CR and EL rules get in practice at higher levels, take a look there for what I'm talking about.

What DM in their right mind?

Besides, I believe it states in one book or another that a swarm counts as an individual creature.
    As has already been said, that's no swarm. Also, I like to work from the area of preventing such theoretical rules abuses when designing something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by StoryKeeper View Post
    And now I am done being cheeky. ;) For now.
    As Achmed says: 'Silence, I kill you!'

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、