New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1395
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria View Post
    You can't trust that cephalopod when it is against Spain. He predicted Germany to win in the Euro '08 final and we know what happened there. So I see this as a rather good omen now.
    This exactly The okrakle is just trying to "make up" for it's mistake of 08

2. - Top - End - #1202

On holiday in Holland. Congrats people.
    First football match I watched in seven years.

Gonna watch the final too!

Now can it with the Vuvuzelas after 23.00h

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria View Post
    One TV commentator speculated that Paul was just nervous ( = went ) because grilled octopus is a popular food in Spain.
    Not just grilled.

But Paul is safe in that aquarium, and (being an oracular mollusk) he knows it. He didn't predict the Spanish victory out of fear. Perhaps he just likes countries starting by "S", like Serbia...

4. - Top - End - #1204

RogueGuy

9 hours to the real final match of the tournament:

¡VIVA ESPAÑA!

5. - Top - End - #1205

Quote Originally Posted by Blas_de_Lezo View Post
    9 hours to the real final match of the tournament
    I'll take the "real final" against the Netherlands any time, thank you very much

But as you consider this the final match anyway, I'm glad you won't have any problem with playing that unimportant match afterwards against Uruguay while leaving all that pesky final business to us

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, when I get home from work today I will be getting straight on the computer to watch the match on ESPN3.

I'm excited and nervous.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #1207

I predict that Germany makes 4 goals and Spain ... either 2 or -1.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Firbolg in the Playground

OK, so I really take no interest in the World Cup. But my friend made an amusing and interesting point on his facebook status:

[Thufir's Friend] is amused, in light of the current World Cup situation, that the Dutch national anthem doesn't mention the Netherlands but proclaims the singer to be of German blood and loyal to the king of Spain. What are the chances of a mass forgetting of the words?
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    The second goal was so totally pants... He was clearly offside, that's the only way he could have been in position to score it.
    The player that was offside didn't score it, although one could argue that he hindered the defender that might've blocked the shot.

A replay on a channel in a my country even claimed that FIFA's replay wasn't accurate. They showed the positions at exactly the moment Sneijder's foot hit the ball, and apparently that player wasn't offside at that moment.

Regardless, you can't really blame a ref for this sort of thing. It's pretty much impossible to work accurately in situations like this.

10. - Top - End - #1210

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    OK, so I really take no interest in the World Cup. But my friend made an amusing and interesting point on his facebook status:

[Thufir's Friend] is amused, in light of the current World Cup situation, that the Dutch national anthem doesn't mention the Netherlands but proclaims the singer to be of German blood and loyal to the king of Spain. What are the chances of a mass forgetting of the words?
    Indeed, that is irony, but still true. The royal family of Orange used to own German property if I remember correctly. The Netherlands were once ruled by Spain. Said German offspring then managed to rally the Dutch and fight of the Spanish. I guess Spain versus Germany is very soothing in this light too.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Indeed, that is irony, but still true. The royal family of Orange used to own German property if I remember correctly. The Netherlands were once ruled by Spain. Said German offspring then managed to rally the Dutch and fight of the Spanish. I guess Spain versus Germany is very soothing in this light too.
    When the Netherlands wanted to be more independent from the Spanish conquerors, they started looking for a king (probably by putting up an add on craigslist). no-one wanted to become king, but Willem van Oranje-Nassau agreed to be general and figurehead of sorts. this person was a German.

The initial position was that The Netherlands were loyal to the Spanish crown, they just wanted to change a few laws.

Anyway, I hope the Germans lose the match tonight. We have eighty years of experience in beating up the Spanish, so that should be easy.

12. - Top - End - #1212

One of the better, funny songs about ...

Germans (cover of Bob Marley's We're Jammin')

Football play we better than you !
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

Woo Germany! The madness is starting to take me and I'm prepared for Football shock!

Only ...

Four more hours

How am I MEANT to wait that long?
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2010-07-07 at 09:08 AM.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

14. - Top - End - #1214

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    When the Netherlands wanted to be more independent from the Spanish conquerors, they started looking for a king (probably by putting up an add on craigslist). no-one wanted to become king, but Willem van Oranje-Nassau agreed to be general and figurehead of sorts. this person was a German.

The initial position was that The Netherlands were loyal to the Spanish crown, they just wanted to change a few laws.

Anyway, I hope the Germans lose the match tonight. We have eighty years of experience in beating up the Spanish, so that should be easy.
    Yeah I know. I like that part of history. Also I heard that the reason why the Dutch had the opportunity to throw a revolt, was because the Spanish king took away his troops. He took away his troops because the Ottomans were attacking Venice who's leader was family of the king of Spain and asked to borrow some troops. The reason the king of Spain chose his troops in the Netherlands was cause those Dutch were really quiet people and didn't really make much of a fuss.

So when the Dutch started to make 'problems' due to the rules, there weren't enough troops to squish us and the 80 year war started. (Does this mean we have to thank Turkey?) Then to think that if Spain had just allowed our requests we wouldn't have whooped their butts so hard and then start the Golden age.
    Last edited by Lillith; 2010-07-07 at 09:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

80 year war
    It took you 80 years? When the Spanish tried to invade us during the early stages of that war, we just sent a pirate after them. Problem solved!

(BTW, I just learned from the first of those wiki articles that one of a number of provocations which led to that ill-fated invasion attempt was the fact that we were supporting your bid for independence.)

16. - Top - End - #1216

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    It took you 80 years? When the Spanish tried to invade us during the early stages of that war, we just sent a pirate after them. Problem solved!

(BTW, I just learned from the first of those wiki articles that one of a number of provocations which led to that ill-fated invasion attempt was the fact that we were supporting your bid for independence.)
    You try to fight back a united nation while you yourself are nothing more then a couple of independent 'provinces' (forget the English word) who act like they're their own country. Each with their own unique way of doing this. Also at one point there was a 12 year truce because both sides were exhausted from fighting. AND we didn't constantly fight. It was like, a fight here, then some bickering, a fight there, battle on the water maybe and then some more bickering.

But I'm derailing the thread. Either way, no matter who's going to face the Dutch in the finals, there will be a history behind it. Me being a history nut, has to appreciate this. ^^"

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

80 year war
    I, too, am amazed it took 80 years. We fought off our mother country, who was widely regarded as THE superpower of the time, in 8 years.

Go Tigers!

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

And we believe we should stop getting into history topics that might evolve into politics and focus on the world cup
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

19. - Top - End - #1219

Related to the World Cup is that this week, over 8000 Dutch citizens will be traveling to South Africa to watch the finals. My dad is probably one of the few people who can, has his wife's blessing and doesn't want to. But yeah, I think KLM has like, 4 extra charter lines going there in the next few days.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    I, too, am amazed it took 80 years. We fought off our mother country, who was widely regarded as THE superpower of the time, in 8 years.
    Dear coffee-drinking prodigal son: we remain confident that you'll come back to the tea side of the force eventually, someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Coplantor View Post
    And we believe we should stop getting into history topics that might evolve into politics and focus on the world cup
    You have a fair point. However, imho a large part of what makes the World Cup fun is how global politics and history intersect with the rivalries and so forth which it allows a peaceful and silly outlet for. The football itself is often relatively boring.

Related to the World Cup is that this week, over 8000 Dutch citizens will be traveling to South Africa to watch the finals. My dad is probably one of the few people who can, has his wife's blessing and doesn't want to. But yeah, I think KLM has like, 4 extra charter lines going there in the next few days.
    Good stuff!

21. - Top - End - #1221

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post

You forgot the end of the story: then you tried to counter attack and one woman kicked you out of Spain.
    Then, some years after, you tried to stole or kingdoms in the new world and a true warrior, not an murderous pirate, kicked you out again in the biggest naval battle until then.

One hour to the match!! Yes!!

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

I was wondering what took you so much to show up?
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Yes, we should.
    The "Celeste" will crush Spain this Saturday.

Yes, I'm already considering that the final will be Germany x Holland.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    Yes, we should.
    The "Celeste" will crush Spain this Saturday.

Yes, I'm already considering that the final will be Germany x Holland.
    Considering that the first time you ever spoke to me you msn slapped me just for being Uruguayan due to the 50's world cup, you have no idea hw much this just meant to me

Also, we will! Gonna make proud a continent!
    Last edited by Coplantor; 2010-07-07 at 12:58 PM.
    I WAS THERE

Spoiler
    Show

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Paul the Octopus is always right.

I wonder what he will tell us about the final...
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

26. - Top - End - #1226

Heehee. Germany lost. Most of my friends were fully expecting Spain to just roll over for another 4-0 German domination. I think it's funny.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Text.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ettin in the Playground

How disappointing!

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground

I just...I don't even...I...
    *waves tiny Holland flag in the air, disappointedly*
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

The spanish forces had prevailed,
    Octopus Paul had never failed!
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.