New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: BleachITP Reborn: Discussion & Setup Thread 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Sorry, but neither of those would really work. Iwaki wasn't in the academy at that point, and Damara is part of the Sixth.
    Damara's history said he was in 13th before transferring to 6th; since his background didn't say when, I considered it possible he was still in 13th 200 years ago.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-05-29 at 09:00 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, that makes sense. It still wouldn't work, unfortunately, he was definitely in the Sixth by that point.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Hayashi Minoru (tgva8889), either as student or security. History undefined, age gives leeway for both.
    One of the reasons I'm not doing this is that Taiki's been chiming in and I don't want to dominate. But if we need it, Minoru can show up. Probably more aggressive-mood.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #274

Karite'll probably show up.

And now that I think about it, Izumi's more likely to kill Ishida then Kina.

Ishida eats Hollows, and he's technically a Hollow. He pretty much defeats Izumi's entire purpose of purifying Hollows, as he'll just eat the ones he kills.

Then again, he's got the best starting power level, and he's gonna be either equal or better than Izumi with Segunda Etapa.

Also, if it's okay with Innis, I've got this idea of Soshi and Ishida being rivals, trying to surpass the other.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Not by default. We treat resurreccion as equivalent to shikai and segunda etapa as equivalent to bankai. So unless his SE has a clear advantage over Izumi's bankai, they will be even (he turns to earth and [following pokemon rules] becomes immune to lightning attacks for instance [rock is actually not immune to electrical, funny enough]).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #276

Wait, does everyone have segunda etapa? Isn't it supposed to be really hard to get?

...Or was that changed for this RP?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

... No. Not everyone has segunda etapa. But it is as difficult to achieve as bankai is to the shinigami, and an equivalent power boost.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    ... No. Not everyone has segunda etapa. But it is as difficult to achieve as bankai is to the shinigami, and an equivalent power boost.
    Actually, I'd say it was changed for this RP, as in canon, Uliquorra is the only one who has it, but it provides a MASSIVE boost.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Actually, I'd say it was changed for this RP, as in canon, Uliquorra is the only one who has it, but it provides a MASSIVE boost.
    Right now, only Von Geister, Renee, and Cecilia have Segunda Etapa.

I think the main reason is that Segunda Etapa gives a boost that kills the CG's Ban Kai, seeing as Ban Kai is usually required to achieve Captaincy, but you don't need one to be an Espada. This leads me to conclude that Segunda Etapa is better then Ban Kai.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see why we have to talk power levels and write each other off to varying degrees. "Yeah, my character will surpass all the other mortals or tie with one other." "Yeah, initially my guy will be better than everyone else."

I don't plan on my character being a useless Orihime or Chad X length into the story that is only around to offer a text based reaction shot as others flex their superpowered muscles. Why do mortal characters even need to develop Bankai, Segunda Etapa or the Quincy Final Form at all? If it suits the plot at some point, fine, but I don't see why we must plan on definitely having these things right off the bat. They aren't necessary to tell a good story together.

The same way you don't need to pick up and fire a loaded gun in a room "because it's there/available" you don't need to use or fixate on these things. Doing so might kneecap the story.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2010-05-29 at 05:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

It only leads me to believe that arrancar are lazy and don't put the potential they already have to good use.

Alternativelly, it leads me to believe that Kazuo is God. Because he is a captain but lacks Bankai for now. Actually, no.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

I have to agree, this fixation on power levels is a bit irritating, as I intend for Val to not be just a cheerleader on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Right now, only Von Geister, Renee, and Cecilia have Segunda Etapa.

I think the main reason is that Segunda Etapa gives a boost that kills the CG's Ban Kai, seeing as Ban Kai is usually required to achieve Captaincy, but you don't need one to be an Espada. This leads me to conclude that Segunda Etapa is better then Ban Kai.
    Um... no.

I'd much rather have the "power boosts" be equivalent.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    I don't see why we have to talk power levels and write each other off to varying degrees. "Yeah, my character will surpass all the other mortals or tie with one other." "Yeah, initially my guy will be better than everyone else."

I don't plan on my character being a useless Orihime or Chad X length into the story that is only around to offer a text based reaction shot as others flex their superpowered muscles. Why do mortal characters even need to develop Bankai, Segunda Etapa or the Quincy Final Form at all? If it suits the plot at some point, fine, but I don't see why we must plan on definitely having these things right off the bat. They aren't necessary to tell a good story together.

The same way you don't need to pick up and fire a loaded gun in a room "because it's there/available" you don't need to use or fixate on these things. Doing so might kneecap the story.
    And that was why I keep trying to drag attention back to the Soul Society. Sure, the Power Levels might be higher, but in the end, the mortal cast is going to be as powerful, if not better than, Espada and Captains. So why do we need to claim that the 'power level is lower, and we focus more on the mortal cast'? Clearly, the mortal cast is going to end as powerful as SS, so why do we need to claim that they need to be the center of attention?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    I have to agree, this fixation on power levels is a bit irritating, as I intend for Val to not be just a cheerleader on the side.
    DBZ/Naruto Syndrome. There are too many characters, you can only care about so many at a time. That's why I changed Ishida to something different, that currently there's only one of. So that way he doesn't get thrown into the background so that Izumi can shine. Everybody's ignoring poor Free Hand's Living Shinigami because Izumi is the posterchild for Substitute Shinigami.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-05-29 at 05:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to discuss personalities more than power levels- I went into Izumi's power level as an aside from potential conflict between her and the Quincy in her group.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

As much discussion as there is about power levels and stuff, I keep just thinking "eventually." Eventually I would like Kina or Minoru to achieve Power Level X, and I have plans in my head for those power levels, but who cares if they do or don't at the end of the day? Story is more important, and I want to write a good story.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

In the original Canon, Espada Resurreccion was well on par with Bankai. In anime, Renji with Bankai, Rukia with Shikai and Chad with both arms Hollowed had a hard time against that tree guy; Ichigo, with Bankai and a mask had a hard time against Grimjoww, and he got pimp-slapped by Ulquiorra's Resurreccion alone.

In fact, Segunda Etapa being a massive boost is not clear - Ulquiorra was handing Ichigo his ass without it. He could've finished the whole fight in Resurreccion. Considering Ishida needed Renji and assorted comic reliefs to pose a threat against Octava, Ulquiorra was above the power level of him and Orihime already. The point is, Segunda Etapa didn't allow Ulquiorra to do anything he couldn't already do in Resurreccion.

The boost Ichigo gained from returning from the dead was large, definitely, but how large is hard to say before he fights another enemy. In the meantime, it's good to remember Old Man Yama could defeat a Resurrected Arrancar, who had previously totaled a captain-level Vizard, with his bare hands.

Overall, I'd say combat skills and the amount of Reiryoku and Reiatsu are far bigger factors in a fight than whether a person knows Bankai / Segunda Etapa or not. Someone with Bankai / SE is not guaranteed a victory against someone with only Shikai / Resurreccion. Thus, there's no reason for every character, even of the highest tier, to have Bankai / SE.

Also, like I'm going to explore with Elder, there are different types of power besides straight combat utility. It's future SE is undoubtedly more powerful than its Resurreccion, but in single combat it's near useless.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

DBZ/Naruto Syndrome. There are too many characters, you can only care about so many at a time. That's why I changed Ishida to something different, that currently there's only one of. So that way he doesn't get thrown into the background so that Izumi can shine. Everybody's ignoring poor Free Hand's Living Shinigami because Izumi is the posterchild for Substitute Shinigami.
    So, you'd sooner risk shoving that off onto other characters?
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

It is irrelevant, and very divisive. Izumi and Ishida (honestly Terry, can you change that name? It is distracting.) won't be achieving Bankai or Segunda Etapa for a long time. And if it is absolutely necessary for the other Mortal Worlders to get a bump in power to prevent them from becoming Chad (Orihime is useless because she won't fight, not because she can't, I thought) then they will. At this point, we have 4 Arcs worth of material (Michiko, Kasanip, Reene's Shinigami Puppets, Samsara) for the Mortal Worlders, and neither of them should come close to Bankai or Segunda Etapa during them.

Tl:Dr: Segunda Etapa and Bankai are a long way off for the Mortal World cast. Let's stop talking about power levels, and focus on getting the four arcs we have planned into shape. And adding more, if needed.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Do note that canon does not fully apply, because we are playing with Natural arrancar here, not artificials.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

And that was why I keep trying to drag attention back to the Soul Society. Sure, the Power Levels might be higher, but in the end, the mortal cast is going to be as powerful, if not better than, Espada and Captains. So why do we need to claim that the 'power level is lower, and we focus more on the mortal cast'? Clearly, the mortal cast is going to end as powerful as SS, so why do we need to claim that they need to be the center of attention?
    There's more to power level being lower than just "not everyone has powerup X". It's also about what a single character can do, and whether lesser folks can threaten them at all. In canon, we have people who could single-handedly swipe away nations, and small folks can't even stand in the presence of bigger ones. Lower power level doesn't just mean mortal cast won't be attaining captain levels in a day; it also means someone of captain level isn't automatically quaranteed victory against any number of non-captain level folks.

Also, the focus on mortal cast isn't just about power level, it's also about what themes we want to explore with this game. The previous game focused on Seireitei and Las Noches duking it out, with Mortal World being basically just backdrop; we are trying to avoid that, and make the Mortal World more influential overall.

Doesn't apply to freeform RPs in the same way. Each character has a writer on its own, which means characters getting to stay in the limelight is far more depentend on the activity of the players than their power level. There can be multiple plots running, which means even the "side characters" can shine, even more than the high-tier cast, simply due to virtue of their players being more enthusiastic.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Would people be opposed to a "Bounty Hunter"-type character?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Not on my end.

However, to quote some immortal words: "Please Explain."

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Sounds interesting, please tell more. Maybe he could work together with Edge's Arrancar merc?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Current idea is a Bount who has acquired various other items that assist in combat. I'm imagining a "pellet revolver" that has special bullets, like a "Bakudo Bullet" that traps the target with a low-level Bakudo spell upon hit or a "Smoke Bullet" that explodes in a burst of smoke, causing the target to have difficulty seeing and breathing for a short period of time, with possible attachments for distance, etc. His Doll, however, would be something completely separate from the gun, probably something based on plants. Rather than payment in some form of currency, he would expect special technologies or access to reishi. Since he drains his victims, the stronger the target the better (as he would get better reishi for a successful bounty).
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2010-05-29 at 06:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

Final name change.

Sora.

That is all.

@^: Oh god. I love that idea so much, I can't describe it tgva.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

This doesn't address why you felt the need to say your character would one up the others power wise. It doesn't have to but it's pretty much unrelated to what I actually wrote.

I say we should avoid one upping each other and you respond by saying mortals don't need to be made the center of attention since you think they'll end up just as powerful as all the big hitters. The two thoughts don't really connect.
    Kina isn't the only Quincy and yet it looks like she'll shine without being a unique snowflake power source wise or by being really powerful. She's progressively gaining more potential scenes as her and other characters' personalities are discussed.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2010-05-29 at 06:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Final name change.

Sora.

That is all.
    How is that any better?
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    That's a minor character whose name I didn't even know until this second?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a minor character whose name I didn't even know until this second?
    We can still dish out some first-class keyblade jokes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Names are just names. Many mangakas just pick names for their characters from those which are most common, which means there's a huge number of characters with same names who have absolutely nothing to do with each other. So there was no reason to panic just because you character shared a first name with canon one, even a major character.

For example "Sasuke Uchiha" is a combination of two stock names usually used for ninja characters. It's also a name for major character in Naruto, but unless your character is a ninja with weird eyes, no-one would bat an eyelash if you had a character with that name.