New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Aberration Blood Expanded [WIP]

I love the aberrant feats from LoM, as well as your additions to them. Aberrations come in all shapes and sizes, so the feats emulating them should be equally diverse. I do have this to contribute, and in fact will be adding something similar to one of my homebrew, the pharin.

How about Aberration Blood type feats for creatures other than humanoids? I never understood why humanoids only really. So, either a global one (no type restriction), or individual ones for each type. I can argue some aberrations may be.. more aberrant than their kin, outsiders can be tainted too, as can plants… monstrous humanoids.. magical beasts.. ect. Those lacking constitution scores may be harder to argue for but it is not too far out there perhaps.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I love the aberrant feats from LoM, as well as your additions to them. Aberrations come in all shapes and sizes, so the feats emulating them should be equally diverse. I do have this to contribute, and in fact will be adding something similar to one of my homebrew, the pharin.

How about Aberration Blood type feats for creatures other than humanoids? I never understood why humanoids only really. So, either a global one (no type restriction), or individual ones for each type. I can argue some aberrations may be.. more aberrant than their kin, outsiders can be tainted too, as can plants… monstrous humanoids.. magical beasts.. ect. Those lacking constitution scores may be harder to argue for but it is not too far out there perhaps.
    Mourning Mutate is essentially that, as is my Daelkyr Heritage feat or Aberrant Dragonmark. All of them work as Aberration Blood.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Mourning Mutate is essentially that, as is my Daelkyr Heritage feat or Aberrant Dragonmark. All of them work as Aberration Blood.
    True. Though if I'm not mistaken they are all potentially eberron exclusive based on their flavor text (Existence of the Mourning, Daelkyr, and Dragonmarks respectively). I will admit I didn't know Aberrant Dragonmark could be used for Aberration Blood, so I guess I've learned something today.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Don't forget my Warforged Body feat (Daelkyr-Designed Construction)!
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

What do you think about metamagic aberrant feats?

6. - Top - End - #126

I present you the corruption line of aberrant feats. They are inspired in MM aberrations. PEACH.

Aboleth corruption [Aberrant]
    Hollow bonelike spines erupt from your fins.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Waterspawn
    Benefits: When in water, with a free action, you can surround yourself with a 10 feet area ink cloud. This ink last 1 round per aberrant feat you posses and provide total concealment. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal the number of aberrant feats you have.
    Special: If you have the digester corruption feat, you can spit this ink. Make a ranged touch attack to cover the opponent eyes. The opponent is blinded until he spend a full round to get rid of the ink.

Beholder corruption [Aberrant]
    You develop eyes on your tentacles. A mutation akin to the beholders.
    Prerequisites: Aberration blood, Deepspawn, Inhuman vision
    Benefits: You receive all around vision and cannot be flanked. If you have the metamagic feat ocular spell, you can store spells in them and in your normal eyes, but you still limited to use only two rays in a full round action. When averting your eyes to avoid a gaze attack you have to make two rolls and take the worst result.

Brutal subconscious [Aberrant]
    It’s dangerous to make contact with someone with a mind warped by aberrant influence.
    Prerequisites: Aberration blood, Dark naga corruption, Warped mind
    Benefits: Any creature that try to read or control your mind must succed in a Will save (DC 10 + ˝ HD + number of aberrant feats) or be stunned for one round.

Choker corruption [Aberrant]
    Your tentacles are vicious as choker limbs.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Deepspawn
    Benefits: You receive +2 racial bonus in grapple checks and are able to use the constriction special ability with the tentacles gained with Deepspawn feat. Your able to deal the tentacle damage after making a successful grapple check. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab. The racial bonus provided by this feat accumulates with the one from predatory grip.

Cloaker corruption [Aberrant]
    Your membranous wing grow larger and thicker. If you want you can spread them even wider.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Starspawn
    Benefits: With a standard action, you are able to use the engulf special ability. can try to wrap a Medium or smaller creature in its body as a standard action. You attempt a grapple that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you win the grapple check, you establish a hold and can attack the engulfed victim without suffering the -4 penalty on the attack roll. Attacks that hit you deal half their damage to you and half to the trapped victim.
    Special: If you have the Improved Starspawn aberrant feat, you can ignore the weapon restriction for attacks while grappling.
    Normal: You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a -4 penalty on such attacks.

Dark naga corruption [Aberrant]
    The physical structure of your brain become grow more aberrant. The shape of your skull become ophidian elongated.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Warped mind
    Benefits: You are immune to any form of mind reading

Destrachan corruption [Aberrant]
    Your ears become large and warped.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Skin adaptation (sound), one other aberrant feat
    Benefits: You receive +4 racial bonus in listen checks and blindsight equal to 10 feet per aberrant feat you possess.

Digester heritage [Aberrant]
    You digestive system is so efficient that it doesn’t even need to take place inside you.
    Prerequisites: Aberration blood, scavenging gullet.
    Benefits: Your digestive acids are extreme potent. You acquire an acid spit similar to the Digester acid spray. You can spit the liquid with a ranged touch attack with 10 feet range increment for each two aberrant feats you posses. The acid damage is 1d8 and escalate in the same proportion. With a total of 5 aberrant feats, for example, the spray would cause 2d8 and have a range increment. Once you use this ability, you must wait 1d10 rounds to use it again. For each two aberrant feats reduce the waiting time in one step (d10-d8-d6-d4), to a minimum of 1d4 rounds.
    Special: If you have Prehensile tongue or Hideous month aberrant feats, add 1d6 acid damage per three aberrant feat to your damage.

Ettercap corruption [Aberrant]
    You grow tiny hooks in your hands and feet like an insect.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, one other aberrant feat
    Benefits: You gain a climb speed equal to one-half your base land speed. You cannot use your climb speed with a medium or heavier load or if your hands and feet are covered. You need at least one hand and two foot to use this ability.
    Special: If you have the Deepspawn aberrant feat, your tentacles develop the hooks too and each count as a hand or foot for climbing purposes.

Superior aboleth corruption [Aberrant]
    Your tentacles are covered with a sticky mucus.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Waterspawn, Aboleth corruption, Deepspawn
    Benefits: soon
    Special: soon

Superior cloaker corruption [Aberrant]
    dark veins erupt from your throat to your mouth.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Starspawn, Cloaker corruption, Skin adaptation (sound), Destranchan corruption, Superior destranchan corruption.
    Benefits:You now can turn your sonic attacks in a dangerous subsonic moan. With an standard action you can use the following abilities:
    unnerve: Anyone within a 60-foot spread automatically takes a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls per aberrant feat you posses as long the moan continues. Consider a continuous moan as one use for purposes of waiting time to use it again. You can only continuously moan with this option of moan.
    Fear: Anyone within a 30-foot spread must succeed on Will save or become panicked for 2 rounds.
    Nausea: Anyone in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a Fortitude save or be overcome by nausea and weakness. Affected characters become nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.
    Nausea: Anyone in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a Fortitude save or be overcome by nausea and weakness. Affected characters fall prone and become nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.
    Stupor: A single creature within 30 feet of the cloaker must succeed on a Fortitude save or be affected as though by a hold monster spell for 1 round per aberrant feat you possess. Even after a successful save, the creature must repeat the save if you use this effect again.
    The save DC for all moans are 10 + ˝ HD + number of aberrant feats. With the exception of Stupor, a creature that successfully saves against one of these effects cannot be affected by the same moan effect for 24 hours.

Superior destranchan corruption [Aberrant]
    Your throat grow grotesquely muscular.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Skin adaptation (sound), Destranchan corruption
    Benefits: You can unleash a deadly or debilitating scream in a 30 feet cone. You can cause 1d6 sonic damage for each two aberrant feats or 1d8 non-lethal damage in the same proportion. Once you use this ability, you must wait 1d10 rounds to use it again. For each two aberrant feats reduce the waiting time in one step (d10-d8-d6-d4), to a minimum of 1d4 rounds. The fortitude DC for halving the damage in both screams is 10 + ˝ HD + number of aberrant feats.

Superior naga corruption [Aberrant]
    Venom is one of the finest natural weapons, and yours is one of the most dangerous.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant blood, Naga corruption, Venomous aberration, Warped mind, a natural attack granted by an Aberrant feat
    Benefits: You can choose to inject a concentrated dose of poison. An affected creature become paralyzed for 1d3 rounds (Increase the damage die for each three aberrant feats you have). The secondary effect put the creature into a nightmare-haunted sleep for 1 minute per aberrant feat you possess. You receive two additional uses of poison when you take this feat.

Venomous Aberration [Aberrant]
    Your natural attack can deliver strong toxins.
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, a natural attack granted by an Aberrant feat
    Benefits: Choose one natural attack that deals piercing or slashing (spiked carapace is an option) damage granted by an Aberrant feat you possess. A number of times per day equal to the number of Aberrant feats you possess, you can deliver a poison through the chosen natural attack. The poison base damage is 1d4 strength or dex or 1d3 const. Increase the damage die for each three aberrant feats you have. The save DC is 10 + ˝ HD + number of aberrant feats.
    Special: You can choose to apply this feat to the ink granted by Aboleth corruption feat. The ink becomes a contact poison.
    Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. It's effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new natural weapon.

These and more aberrant feats HERE
    Last edited by vinihigino; 2013-07-13 at 06:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Some of those do give me ideas, but I'd probably go a different route for most of them. I think I'll make my own versions some time in the next week or so and post them up here.

BTW, if you take a look at Eyes of Madness, I think it may be a good link to the Beholder Corruption feat.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Brilliant, I love a lot of these and will promote them while crediting you.

@Prehensile Tongue
    If it's actually a tentacle, why not make it a tentacle attack? This stacks better with a load of other classes that use tentacles both in combat and mechanics.

A lot of these feats can be broken, fast. Aberrant feat stacking is already fairly potent, a lot of these feats allow massive bonuses if you get a hold of bonus feats.

I'd suggest an alternate ruling section for the ones that will be quickly too powerful.

The mechanics of how to calculate psionic advancement are easily broken, allowing you to gain more psionic power than a wilder or psion at low level.
    If you give them +1 PP/ab feat and +1 power/2 feats this would be ok-balanced, but the max power needs to scale off of ECL, not feat number. If the intention is to require investment down that line then do both, but honestly if you only require stacking more ab. feats anyway to advance it's not going to be any less powerful than not.

I'll look into this again, good work so far though imo.

9. - Top - End - #129

I always have loved the Abberation blood feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    ... Did you just imply that Guybrush Threepwood was part angel, part water elemental?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    No no, all halflings are descended from a curious immortal inmate of the asylum in Sigil. The inmate claims that his name is "Ling", and that all of his progeny are "half me". He also claims parentage over Tieflings, Mephlings, and generally anything "Ling".

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    A lot of these feats can be broken, fast. Aberrant feat stacking is already fairly potent, a lot of these feats allow massive bonuses if you get a hold of bonus feats.
    A lot of these feats are just outright broken.

The class style feats are the most egregious offenders. For example: Mad Disciple. Would you like to be a warblade? Do you not want to actually take warblade class levels? Then just take Mad Disciple! For the cost of three feats, you can practically get an entire class. Add on Disciple of the Far Realms and you can basically double the benefits for one more feat. Meanwhile, Scion of the Aberrant Mark will make you a warlock, while Bishop of the Far Realms can splash in some divine spellcasting.

You can get all of these on one character, too, without even resorting to extra feat granting effects. Sure, it'd take about all of your feats to do it... but you'd end up with 5th level spellcasting, more maneuvers known and readied than a warblade, and at least one lesser invocation along with three least. This is a lot of stuff. A lot of really good stuff. You've practically gestalted yourself twice just with your basic feats.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

How to break any feat stack/chain system: Generic classes.

Expert (Generic class) 20: 7 bonus feats
    Spellcaster (Generic class) 20: 5 bonus feats
    Warrior (Generic class) 20: 11 bonus feats

Warrior 18/Expert 2: 12 bonus feats

Gestalt game

Expert 20//Spellcaster 20: 10 bonus feats
    Expert 20//Warrior 20: 11 bonus feats
    Spellcaster (arcane) 20//Spellcaster (divine) 20: 5 bonus feats
    Spellcaster 20//Warrior 20: 13 bonus feats
    Spellcaster 20//Warrior 18/Expert 2: 14 bonus feats.

Considering these numbers, lets include more, shall we?

Flaws: take 2, get 2 free bonus feats at 1st level.
    Racial: Some races, like human, get a bonus feat at 1st level

Feats from leveling: You get 7 feats on your path to 20th level.

Alternative systems: Some systems, such as taint, grant bonus feats. However, most of these grant feats that are restricted in what type you may attain.

Outside of a gestalt game, I figure you can get up to 22 feats (1 racial, 2 flaw, 7 leveling, 12 from class levels). Within a gestalt game, 24 (1 racial, 2 flaw, 7 leveling, 14 from class levels). This doesn't include feats attained from other sources, mind you, and these are all feats you can invest anywhere you desire (if you qualify).
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-07-24 at 03:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Heh, most of those are going to actually be revamped so they need to be taken multiple times in order to even grant their benefits, and the ones that scale by aberrant feats will be changed to be based on level at a staggered progression, sometimes both.

So, outside the class ones, which ones do you not like?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Mostly, it's the class ones- but I mean more than just those in the class section. So, here's a list:

Twisted Mind
    Aberrant Psionicist
    Soul of the Far Realms
    Mad Disciple
    Disciple of the Far Realms
    Scion of the Aberrant Mark
    Voidspawn
    Bishop of the Far Realms

The benefits of these feats are major class features, and whats worse, all but one or two undeniably eclipse WotC feats which do nearly the same thing. I would wager that Breachspawn and Twisted Form should be on that list as well, but I don't know the classes behind them as well, as I have not made extensive use of that homebrew. Beyond those feats, the main one that sticks out to me is Aberrant Cultist. Granting spellcasting to people is kinda terrifying, even if it is only a small amount.

Those symbiotic feats trigger alarm bells in my mind too, particularly those last three. They're just open for some kind of abuse.

There are a few others I might be inclined to tone down a bit, though I think they probably don't need to be rewritten all over again:

Empathic Link is potent, granting a notable bonus on some very useful skills... and also telepathy, which is a very desirable trait, as it can get you Mindsight.

Eyes of Madness is an at will fairly high DC ability that can be performed as a swift action. Being able to inflict a stacking fear condition is good, but the potential to make it stun is the worrying part. It's a no cost power that can take away actions- that's potent.

Tunnelspawn. Burrow speeds are pretty useful- they are annoying in the defensive tactics they allow, and they can really give you options even outside of combat. Tremorsense is also pretty useful, if somewhat less so than its sensory counterparts. Burrow and tremorsense for one feat is really good. This is definitely better than Starspawn.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

An overdue contribution. These of course may be altered as appropriate.

Class Feats

Shadowspawn [Aberrant]
    Your aberration blood begin to mingle with shadows, allowing you to exert your influence over them
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Any Three other Aberrant feats, Cha 10, and at least one of the following; Must have visited the plane of shadow, been subject to a mystery or spell with the darkness descriptor, or had physical contact with a shadow or dark creature.
    Benefits: You gain the ability to use a small number of mysteries, fueled by your aberrant blood. Your caster level for these mysteries is equal to one-half your total number of Hit Die plus the number of aberrant feats you possess, up to a maximum of your character level. The number of mysteries you know, the highest level mystery you may know, as well as the uses per mystery are based on your character level, as shown on the table below. You may choose to use these to learn fundamentals, which are usable 3/day as supernatural abilities. The DC of your mysteries is based on Charisma.

Unlike shadowcasters, you do not have to gain mysteries in accordance with paths. Mysteries normally are cast as arcane spells, and when doing so observers can make a DC 12 Spot check to note that your shadow is making different gestures from the ones you are making. When you become able to use apprentice mysteries 2/day, they become spell-like abilities.
    Special: You cannot take levels in a class that provides mysteries if you take this feat.

Synergy Feats

Abyssal Aberration [Aberrant, Abyssal Heritor]
    Your aberrant blood mingles with your abyssal blood, enhancing both.
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, any one Abyssal Heritor Feat
    Benefits: You treat all Aberrant feats as Abyssal Heritor feats and all Abyssal Heritor feats as Aberrant feats.

Draconic Aberration [Aberrant, Draconic]
    Your aberrant blood mingles with your dragon blood, enhancing both.
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, any one Draconic Feat
    Benefits: You treat all Aberrant feats as Draconic feats and all Draconic feats as Aberrant feats.

Hellish Aberration [Aberrant, Devil-Touched]
    Your aberrant blood becomes influenced by your pact, strengthening your bond to both Baator and the Far-realm
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Devil's Favor
    Benefits: You treat all Aberrant feats as Devil-Touched feats and all Devil-Touched feats as Aberrant feats.

Tainted Aberration [Aberrant, Tainted]
    Your aberrant blood becomes infused with the essence of taint.
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Mild taint
    Benefits: You treat all Aberrant feats as Tainted feats and all Tainted feats as Aberrant feats.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I love seeing this every time it crops up, I fall more and more in love with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

No good at making tables myself, but I noticed the table for Aberrant Psionicist plain isn't even showing up, so...

Lv|PP|PK|MPL

6th|8|2|2nd

7th|10|2|2nd

8th|12|2|2nd

9th|16|3|3rd

10th|20|3|3rd

11th|24|3|3rd

12th|28|3|3rd

13th|32|4|4th

14th|40|4|4th

15th|48|4|4th

16th|56|4|4th

17th|64|5|5th

18th|76|5|5th

19th|88|5|5th

20th|100|5|5th

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    No good at making tables myself, but I noticed the table for Aberrant Psionicist plain isn't even showing up, so...

Lv|PP|PK|MPL

6th|8|2|2nd

7th|10|2|2nd

8th|12|2|2nd

9th|16|3|3rd

10th|20|3|3rd

11th|24|3|3rd

12th|28|3|3rd

13th|32|4|4th

14th|40|4|4th

15th|48|4|4th

16th|56|4|4th

17th|64|5|5th

18th|76|5|5th

19th|88|5|5th

20th|100|5|5th
    Quite the thread necro here, but thank you for that nontheless
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a great thread, I for one don't mind the necro any.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    An overdue contribution. These of course may be altered as appropriate.

Class Feats

Shadowspawn [Aberrant]
    Your aberration blood begin to mingle with shadows, allowing you to exert your influence over them
    Prerequisites: Aberration Blood, Any Three other Aberrant feats, Cha 10, and at least one of the following; Must have visited the plane of shadow, been subject to a mystery or spell with the darkness descriptor, or had physical contact with a shadow or dark creature.
    Benefits: You gain the ability to use a small number of mysteries, fueled by your aberrant blood. Your caster level for these mysteries is equal to one-half your total number of Hit Die plus the number of aberrant feats you possess, up to a maximum of your character level. The number of mysteries you know, the highest level mystery you may know, as well as the uses per mystery are based on your character level, as shown on the table below. You may choose to use these to learn fundamentals, which are usable 3/day as supernatural abilities. The DC of your mysteries is based on Charisma.

Level Mysteries Known 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
    1st - 2nd 1 1 - - - -
    3rd-4th 2 1 - - - -
    5th-6th 3 1 1 - - -
    7th - 8th 4 1 1 - - -
    9th-10th 5 1 1 1 - -
    11th-12th 6 1 1 1 - -
    13th-14th 7 2 2 2 1 -
    15th-16th 8 2 2 2 1 -
    17th-18th 9 2 2 2 1 1
    19th-20th 10 2 2 2 1 1

Unlike shadowcasters, you do not have to gain mysteries in accordance with paths. Mysteries normally are cast as arcane spells, and when doing so observers can make a DC 12 Spot check to note that your shadow is making different gestures from the ones you are making. When you become able to use apprentice mysteries 2/day, they become spell-like abilities.
    Special: You cannot take levels in a class that provides mysteries if you take this feat.
    Fixed up the table for you. Love the thread, by the way!
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!