New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice: The Thirteenth Woerier

Make sure the area is not sandy. Even if you seal the food in hermetically sealed containers, sand WILL get in to it. Trust me. Sand, however, is good to have on hand to put out the fire with, however.

Have plenty of skewers for roasting things over a fire.

Fire-starter bricks are wonderful, but make sure you are able to light it in a non-windy area.

Also, maybe bring a little extra bug spray for those who forget, if it is at night. Sunscreen if during the day.

Other than that just have fun. And s'mores. Make s'mores.

(I would totally do another bonfire, except it's turtle season again so no fires on the beaches. And doing fires in the brush areas are just boring. I think one of my friends has a fire pit though...)

Pro-tip: Never, ever say something "hasn't happened to me" and "it's probably really, really rare." Ever. Especially if the event in question is negative. Because the next time you engage in the activity, said even will likely occur. Because Murphy hates everyone.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

2. - Top - End - #932
    Banned

Murphy was an optimist.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Barbarian in the Playground

how saying that everything that can go wrong probably will go wrong being optimistic?
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    how saying that everything that can go wrong probably will go wrong being optimistic?
    To be fair, the actual original "Murphy's Law" wasn't quite that. It was more appropriately termed as follows:

"If there are two options for something, the first one you try will more often than not be the wrong one."

Murphy wasn't what I'd call an optimist, but perhaps I'd call him a realist.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #935

my mistake
    but yeah, it's still not very optimistic
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-10 at 03:38 PM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I think that's going pretty far beyond reasonable accommodations. Sure, if you've got another barbecue handy, you may as well go for it, but bringing in another just to prevent food being cooked on the same grill? It's not like vegetarians go into anaphylactic shock upon consumption of trace quantities of meat.
    Religious reasons can be meaningful.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

7. - Top - End - #937
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The core of Murphy's law can perhaps be best explained as thus:

If you have an item that must be used one particular way, such as a cable that must be plugged in the correct way, do not simply include instructions, such as an arrow stating "this way up", and allow it to be used incorrectly. Always design the item so that it can only be used correctly, for example, by designing the plug and socket so that they can only be connected in the correct way. If you allow anything to be used incorrectly, sooner or later, it will be.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Religious reasons can be meaningful.
    I was going to mention that, but I can't actually think of any religions that forbid eating food cooked on the same grill as meat. Meat and cheese, yes, eating meat, yes, but eating vegetables that were cooked near meat? There might be some, but they don't spring to mind. And if you have dietary restrictions that specific, it's not really reasonable to expect them to be catered to. Sure, if it's a big enough barbecue that it doesn't add too much difficulty to the preparation, go ahead, but if it does, I don't feel it's reasonable to expect your hosts to go to that much extra effort.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

If I'm not mistaken, if someone has some sort of very specific dietary restrictions and they are attending something like a barbeque, it's not unusual for them to provide the necessary items. Like, in this case, a separate barbeque if they can't eat something prepared near meat, etc. Or, if they only eat veggie burgers and they are the only ones that do, it's not really fair to make the host buy a whole thing of veggie burgers JUST for them. Etc.

(Also, I could be wrong, but don't some sects of Judaism and Islam prohibit eating pork or anything made near pork? I know Hindu adherents aren't allowed to eat beef, so it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't eat food prepared on the same surface as beef, either. I could be wrong.)
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

10. - Top - End - #940
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The core of Murphy's law can perhaps be best explained as thus:

If you have an item that must be used one particular way, such as a cable that must be plugged in the correct way, do not simply include instructions, such as an arrow stating "this way up", and allow it to be used incorrectly. Always design the item so that it can only be used correctly, for example, by designing the plug and socket so that they can only be connected in the correct way. If you allow anything to be used incorrectly, sooner or later, it will be.
    Oh, Rawhide, the thoughts you make me think that aren't board appropriate.

Murphy's an optimist because he forgets that the things that can't go wrong, can always go wrong.

Whenever you make something idiot proof, nature always makes a bigger idiot. So on and so forth.

Never had a bonfire before that I've been in charge of, going to rake out and clear the area around where the fire will be and then douse the surrounding environs in water and then keep some buckets on hand. As it looks right now though, it's probably only going to be a small one, comprised more of brush and dried weeds than actual wood.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-10 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

If no one minds a stupid question...

Why is this barbeque thing in RW&A? Everything has been food or supply related, leading me to wonder why it's here.

Also, I have a woe but need no advice. Crushes on uninterested/unavailable folk SUCK. That is all. *leaves before says something stupid*

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that's going pretty far beyond reasonable accommodations. Sure, if you've got another barbecue handy, you may as well go for it, but bringing in another just to prevent food being cooked on the same grill? It's not like vegetarians go into anaphylactic shock upon consumption of trace quantities of meat.

The rest of your suggestions are good, though.
    trust me, you're very much mistaken

speaking as a vegan, and with enough vegan/veggie friends to back this up, most veggies/vegans wont cook on the same grill thats being used for meat. Unless you're cooking corn which can be stripped from its husk after cooking then anything you cook on the same surface will absorb some of those meat flavours

Its not an alergy thing, its a moral thing
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

13. - Top - End - #943

NecromancerGuy

^: If it was a moral thing they wouldn't come. Because they'd hate me for eating meat and having an event where cooking meat outdoors is part of the big three things that'll be going on. Wouldn't it?

At least, that's how things went with the only vegan I made friends with in the first place. Either that, or it was for not knowing the ins and outs of veganism by heart and asking questions.

That just sounds like a taste thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    If no one minds a stupid question...

Why is this barbeque thing in RW&A? Everything has been food or supply related, leading me to wonder why it's here.

Also, I have a woe but need no advice. Crushes on uninterested/unavailable folk SUCK. That is all. *leaves before says something stupid*
    I was asking after barbecue etiquette, mostly in regards to how one is supposed to invite people to them and what I as the host can reasonably ask them to do.

Like, how should I phrase the request that every guest bring either a side dish or a 2 liter equivalent of soda? Is there any non-rude way to suggest they bring their own folding lawn chairs if they don't want to sit on the picnic blankets I have available?

Should I wait for them to inform me of dietary requirements if I've asked them to inform me of them on the facebook group I set up, or should I individually grill each guest to make sure they don't forget to let me know?

How does one go about inviting guests if the main thing they have in common is that they know you, but not necessarily one another? Is it possible to have an event without it being a fiasco or do I have to somehow make enough introductions to have a better web of inter-connectedness before the event happens?

Argusk: Got one better. Returned my ex's stuff to her today and my autopilot kicked in and I caught myself in the midst of approaching to hug her and had to stop.

Was quite annoying.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-10 at 07:53 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Argusk: Got one better. Returned my ex's stuff to her today and my autopilot kicked in and I caught myself in the midst of approaching to hug her and had to stop.

Was quite annoying.
    Eh, yeah, that'd suck. You have my sympathies.

Also, to the rest of it, see, that makes sense. But why are we talking about wood chips and vegans? A barbeque thread might not be out of order though...
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-07-10 at 07:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

^: If it was a moral thing they wouldn't come. Because they'd hate me for eating meat and having an event where cooking meat outdoors is part of the big three things that'll be going on. Wouldn't it?

At least, that's how things went with the only vegan I made friends with in the first place. Either that, or it was for not knowing the ins and outs of veganism by heart and asking questions.

That just sounds like a taste thing.
    you will get the obstinate few who refuse, but many of us will go to places to see friends/hang out. Even providing a seperate disposable bbq and saying "you'll need to bring your own cooking equipment" is usually appreciated.

i dunno - maybe the rest of the world isn't like it, but most of the people i know try to accomadate other peoples dietary requirements when possible, and a seperate cooking area so that you're friends can come down and hang out is usually not a big ask
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the people I've met where Coid lives, I'm surprised that veganism isn't the norm instead of the exception.

Murphy's an optimist because he forgets that the things that can't go wrong...
    ...Are impossible to get at or repair when they do go wrong.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

17. - Top - End - #947
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, guess who got dumped this morning!

Not me. I was dumped a while back. No, Cheater McHo-Bag got dumped. And she's already asking me if I want her to come back.

I get the feeling that I'm about to make a very poor life decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

18. - Top - End - #948

NecromancerGuy

^: Nah, I have confidence you'll use a condom for your awkward sex with your ex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Given the people I've met where Coid lives, I'm surprised that veganism isn't the norm instead of the exception.

...Are impossible to get at or repair when they do go wrong.
    Haha, that too. Though I'm no longer in Hippyville, what with visiting my parents. Where I'll be in the fall, if I'll even be alive, such thoughts are best left for later on to contemplate.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-10 at 09:57 PM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Cheater McHo-Bag
    Well, when you put it like that, oh yeah, I can totally see that you're on the path to "This is something terrible about to go awry". I mean, really, it doesn't much worse than something terrible going wrong and getting *worse*.

I think you have exactly what you need to focus on. Keep a stiff upper lip, and tell her no.

Incidentally, what ended up happening with the sowing of wild oats, and such?
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

20. - Top - End - #950

^: Nah, I have confidence you'll use a condom for your awkward sex with your ex.
    *snort* That's not exactly what I meant, but fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    I think you have exactly what you need to focus on. Keep a stiff upper lip, and tell her no.
    I find it very difficult to tell a crying woman no, especially when I'm still madly in love with her. I know that's what I *should* do, but...

Yeah, I'm kinda dumb like that.

Incidentally, what ended up happening with the sowing of wild oats, and such?
    She keeps plowing the field, but the weather hasn't been right to actually start planting.
    Last edited by Marillion; 2010-07-10 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

21. - Top - End - #951

Like, how should I phrase the request that every guest bring either a side dish or a 2 liter equivalent of soda? Is there any non-rude way to suggest they bring their own folding lawn chairs if they don't want to sit on the picnic blankets I have available?

Should I wait for them to inform me of dietary requirements if I've asked them to inform me of them on the facebook group I set up, or should I individually grill each guest to make sure they don't forget to let me know?

How does one go about inviting guests if the main thing they have in common is that they know you, but not necessarily one another? Is it possible to have an event without it being a fiasco or do I have to somehow make enough introductions to have a better web of inter-connectedness before the event happens?
    "BBQ at my place! Come, eat, meet new people! Please bring a plate or drinks, and BYOchair or sit on the ground. If you have any special dietry requirements please tell me ahead of time so we can work something out.* Bring entertainment if you have some."
    Whoever said invites had to be polite?
    *It is not unreasonable for you to ask people with specific requirements to make their own arrangements if there's only one or two or it's especially fiddly. If it's allergies, it would be courteous to keep that in mind in food preparation and choice to have a few things they can eat, especially if it's something easily left out or replaced. If there's multiple people with the same requirement/s, you can set something up for them, put them into contact with each other to arrange something between themselves, ask them to bring their own stuff, or compromise and do all three - supply some things, ask them to supply others, let them know they won't be the only ones there.
    I'm not sure how that's a response to her wondering why she doesn't have any decent girls for friends or how to find some. Or to her being asked out and hit on by other guys. Maybe my brain's tired from lack or sleep?

Or was that to her thinking I'm safe?
    That would be me misunderstanding. I thought she was asking why you don't have a girlfriend.

22. - Top - End - #952

NecromancerGuy

I find it very difficult to tell a crying woman no, especially when I'm still madly in love with her. I know that's what I *should* do, but...
    Awww, but they're all ugly and squishy. AND WEAK. Crush the worm beneath your iron shod boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    That would be me misunderstanding. I thought she was asking why you don't have a girlfriend.
    Haha. Well, I think we all know why I don't have a girlfriend. I mean, just look at what I said to Marillion. If I didn't know better from failed sexual experimentation, I'd swear I was this misogynistic because I was a closeted homosexual or something.

Also, I'm sorta pseudo-dating a girl I probably should never have touched with a ten foot pole in the first place, and well, bad judgment like that warns any woman I'd want away from me as sure as if I ever got an STD and anyone ever found out about it.

Thank you for the event-planning related thoughts as well.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-10 at 10:40 PM.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    Its not an alergy thing, its a moral thing
    I find it endlessly amusing that you pay more respect to the little fuzzie-wuzzies of the world than you do to our respective conquests, haha. Keep up the good work, mate.
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

*snort* That's not exactly what I meant, but fair enough.

Yeah, I'm kinda dumb like that.

She keeps plowing the field, but the weather hasn't been right to actually start planting.
    I... you... Y'know, I wasn't actually expecting a continuation of the metaphor. Well played. That being said, try your best, sir. From the sound of things, she's officially trying to use you now, and that's just not a fun situation to be in, whether you know and accept said situation or not.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to mention that, but I can't actually think of any religions that forbid eating food cooked on the same grill as meat. Meat and cheese, yes, eating meat, yes, but eating vegetables that were cooked near meat? There might be some, but they don't spring to mind. And if you have dietary restrictions that specific, it's not really reasonable to expect them to be catered to. Sure, if it's a big enough barbecue that it doesn't add too much difficulty to the preparation, go ahead, but if it does, I don't feel it's reasonable to expect your hosts to go to that much extra effort.
    It's perhaps not reasonable... But these sorts of reasons aren't always strictly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, if someone has some sort of very specific dietary restrictions and they are attending something like a barbeque, it's not unusual for them to provide the necessary items. Like, in this case, a separate barbeque if they can't eat something prepared near meat, etc. Or, if they only eat veggie burgers and they are the only ones that do, it's not really fair to make the host buy a whole thing of veggie burgers JUST for them. Etc.

(Also, I could be wrong, but don't some sects of Judaism and Islam prohibit eating pork or anything made near pork? I know Hindu adherents aren't allowed to eat beef, so it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't eat food prepared on the same surface as beef, either. I could be wrong.)
    No pork, nothing made in the same vicinity of pork, etc, etc. Keep in mind that the strictest of these people won't eat in the same establishment. But to even survive in parts of the world where you're in a minority, you've got to make certain concessions. A lot of people draw their line at "I'll eat with you, even tho you're cooking something I don't eat, because I think it's reasonable to expect that you leave me a slice of cooking surface for myself."

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    you will get the obstinate few who refuse, but many of us will go to places to see friends/hang out. Even providing a seperate disposable bbq and saying "you'll need to bring your own cooking equipment" is usually appreciated.

i dunno - maybe the rest of the world isn't like it, but most of the people i know try to accomadate other peoples dietary requirements when possible, and a seperate cooking area so that you're friends can come down and hang out is usually not a big ask
    I feel similarly. Honestly, having food allergies, I have a lot of experience in this area. Here's my full take:

There are three types of situations I've been in when it comes to food. In the first, not only has my host (restaurants included) cooked with an allergen, they have no idea where they used it, or if I can eat any of their food. Alternatively, there is the disclaimer "this should be allergy free, but we can't guarantee that." Similar to "condoms are not 100% effective. Abstinence is the only way to 100% blah blah blah." Not only does this not inspire confidence, it makes me feel highly, highly unwelcome. I'm leaving unless there is some very, very important reason to stay.

Situation 2: "I know what I cooked with and where, but I didn't take your allergies into account, because I was inspired to cook this (or, probably more likely, I just didn't care)." In this instance, I'm likely to be limited to side dishes or, in extreme cases (like situation 1), not eating at all. While I appreciate the responsibility apparent, I'm still unlikely to feel totally welcome, especially if you're snooty or obviously didn't care. I might not leave, but I'm less apt to come back. You don't have to be as important to keep me around as you did in situation 1. This is the level of care I think someone should "reasonably" expect from most people.

Situation 3: "I found it surprisingly easy to accommodate your dietary needs!" or "I really wanted to cook this thing you're allergic to, so I made this for you to have instead." Not only are these people responsible, they do something to make me feel welcome, and make it look easy. Not only am I highly like to feel welcome and come back, I'm likely to tell friends what a good restaurant/host they are.

My point is, it's much easier to be a situation 3 (for whatever cause, allergies, veganism, religious reasons, etc) than you might think. And I, personally, think it's worth it to make the particular person feel welcome as opposed to an imposition, or even just that they're wanted.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

26. - Top - End - #956

Men confuse me...

Also:
    Coidzor, can I come to your barbeque? I'll bring yummy sugary things?
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

27. - Top - End - #957

Don't worry, women confuse us too.

28. - Top - End - #958

I confuse myself. And often other people.

29. - Top - End - #959

Yeah, but we do that on purpose
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-11 at 04:19 AM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

30. - Top - End - #960

"Please B.Y.O chairs, and a drink and salad to share."

Or:

"There will be picnic blankets available, however you are welcome to bring along chairs. Please bring either a large drink or plate of food to share."

Another thing to include on the invite: "If you have any dietary requirements, please let me know so that I don't accidentally poison you."