New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Secret of Trottelburg IC

Irethírra catches a glimpse of a shadow moving across the ceiling, however she is unable to make out specifically what it is, and it quickly shifts out of site. The voice continues.

"Please. I am sorry for scaring you, but I was concerned that if you got further involved you would just get hurt. But by now, I don't think I have any other options. You may be the only ones left who can help this town."
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Telim

If that is the case, any help you can provide will be appreciated. What is going on here?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Irethírra

"Sure it will, but I would very much like to know who is providing this help. Why are you hiding from us?"
    Last edited by CWater; 2010-06-16 at 05:09 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #34

Flumph

Meeka

"How can we help?" she asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen (1d20+1)[10]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Randolf Grennal

Turning around in his chair, Randolf attempts to localize the source of the voice. Gripping his daggers tightly, he slowly gets to his feet.

Spot and listen
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: [vroll]1d20-2[/vroll]
    Listen: [vroll]1d20+0[/vroll]

Randolf addresses the voice,

If you wish to gain our trust, you should cease speaking from the shadows and come into the light!

Diplomacy
    Spoiler
    Show
    [vroll]1d20+1[/vroll]
    Gerdy in Who wants to Live Forever?
    Randolf Grennal in The Secret of Trottelburg
    Tristan Islodod in Eberron Noir

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

6. - Top - End - #36

The voice sighs again.

"It is not normally within my nature to reveal myself to humanfolk, but in these circumstances I suppose I have no better option."

Emerging from the shadows right behind the group is a small figure, less than two feet tall. It is clad in leather rags, has a long, beaked nose and pointed ears, and is covered in blue-grey fur.

"I am the domovoi of this household. We have no true names, so you may simply call me 'Domovoi,' or whatever else suits your fancy. I am deeply, deeply sorry, for being so secretive to you, but these are dark times right now, and frankly, I am scared."

The domovoi let's out a brief sniffle, but continues.

"My mobility outside of this house is limited, but I will tell you what I know. Those...things, that call themselves Boris, they are not human, or any of your similar kind. Creatures of the living, they radiate a faint aura of positive energy that we fey can detect. Even undead, they have a similar aura of negative energy. But these creatures, whatever they are, they radiate nothing. They are not beings of mind, nor spirit."

These beings, they have slowly taken over this town, replacing the human's, and worse, corrupting the sanctity of their homes. At one time, every building in this town contained a domovoi guardian. Now only myself and one other remain."

At this point, the domovoi breaks out into a full sob, and sits on the floor weeping.

"I...I do not know what to do. I am the strongest domovoi in this town, but I do not know how much longer I can hold them off. I wish there was more I could do, but due to my nature, I am confined within this house."

He takes a deep breath, calming down a little, but still a bit wet around the eyes.

"There are two who may be of help. The first is the man who lives in the home of the other remaining domovoi. That house's domovoi says that he is an odd sort, but wise, so perhaps he may know a way to help. As for the other...no. I apologize. She is far, far too dangerous, and I should not have suggested her. Please forgive me."
    Campaign:

Characters:

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGirl

It's very brave of you to come out like that, domovoi. Do you know how many of those that call themselves Boris are there? And where do they come from? Are the sick people transforming into Boris-es, is that the nature of the disease?

8. - Top - End - #38

"That foul smelling brew that you often see the abominations drink? It is not one of your human liquors, but rather a poison. I have seen it work with my own eyes. First it robs a man of his will. And then, after repeated exposure, their own life force curls around on itself, and he becomes one of them. In the seven centuries that I have lived in this town, I have never before witnessed any magic that works this way."

He goes on.

"With the river dried up, people are more easily thirsty and willing to drink the venom. Whether the river is the abomination's doing or not, I do not know. But it is certainly very convenient for them. At this point, over half the town has been fully transformed, and more still are under the early effects of the poison."
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-17 at 09:42 AM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

9. - Top - End - #39

Flumph

Meeka

Where do they make their foul-smelling brew?

10. - Top - End - #40

"That much I do not know. The monsters always seem to have some on hand, and by now, the whole town reeks of the stuff."
    Campaign:

Characters:

11. - Top - End - #41

Flumph

Meeka

Hmph. Where are the two people who might be able to help? ... What can we do to help you protect your house and Marissa?

12. - Top - End - #42

Griffon

Irethírra listens patiently to the domovoi's speech and when he has finished, bows her head with respect. "I apologise for being so rude, honoured house spirit. I know your kind does not usually show yourselves to people. I will do what I can to protect your town, you have my word.

You say the monsters continually drink this venom, what do you think would happen if it would be made so that they no longer receive more? Do you think the infected people would have a chance of recovery, or are they lost forever?"

13. - Top - End - #43

Flumph

Meeka

Meeka listens to Irethirra's speech and looks at her in awe. Talking to herself, she mumbles, "Listen patiently, then bow and say nice things."
    Last edited by Parlity; 2010-06-17 at 03:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateCaptain

Randolf Grennal

Very interesting development, this could be exactly the kind of adventure I've been looking for...

Meanwhile Randolf listens patiently to the conversation waiting for a lull to pose his own questions. Once such a lull occurs,

Domovoi, thank you for sharing your concerns with us, but I fear we should know as much as possible if we are to avoid the same fate of the men that went missing. Please could you share who the second woman is and how she could help? We will be very careful in our dealings with her if it comes to that.

Also I am curious as to how you communicate with the other Domovoi in the village. Can you communicate with Domovoi further away? Say for instance the "neighboring" villages? I would be most curious to know if the phenomenon of the Boris "infection" is restricted to this village only, or a much larger threat.

I am a NG Human So5 Str:14;Dex:15;Con:14;Int:15;Wis:13;Cha:14 according to this survey.

15. - Top - End - #45

"We Domovoi can hear each others thoughts and feelings, however this is limited by distance. I cannot directly communicate with the Domovoi of neighboring towns, but as far as I can tell, I do not sense anything wrong with them. The other Domovoi I can talk to more directly, but he's...a bit of an eccentric, no wonder living in that sort of house, so I only communicate when required."

"I am not knowledgeable as to the nature of the abominations' venom, and I do not know if they require constantly it to maintain their form. The occupant of the home of the other remaining domovoi however, from my understanding, he is a man knowledgeable in the ways of scientific thought. I have never met him myself, but the other Domovoi has spoken highly of him, so perhaps he can be of help. He is located on the northwest outskirts of town, against the wall. It is an...unusual building. I doubt it would be difficult to miss."

As to the other I had mentioned, she is the witch Baba Yaga. From my understanding, she is easily the most powerful sorceress on the continent, she would likely have some understanding of the abominations origins. She is fickle, and very, very dangerous however, and I would strongly advise to avoid her if you can. However, if you absolutely must, I understand that if you are absolutely, absolutely polite to her at all times, and perhaps bribe her with food, she may help you."
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-06-18 at 09:35 AM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

16. - Top - End - #46

NecromancerGirl

I have heard some tales of Baba Yaga, and I believe we should stay away from her. Maybe as a last resort .... possibly not even then. I suggest we start by seeking out this unusual building to the northwest, and as soon as possible. Such evil cannot go unchecked.

17. - Top - End - #47

PirateCaptain

I concur with your assessment Telim, we should indeed speak with the individual in this strange building. Sooner rather than later!

As to this Baba Yaga sorceress you speak of, I am unfamiliar with her reputation, but heed your warning Domovoi. If there is no other alternative we can always seek her out and attempt to gain her favor.

18. - Top - End - #48

Flumph

Meeka

She nods in agreement with Telim and Randolf. "It's better to look around while the creatures are sleeping, if they sleep."

Edging closer to Telim and Randolf, she mutters, "Should we ask this domovoi to contact to other one and introduce us?"

19. - Top - End - #49

Griffon

"I agree with you, we should go as soon as possible. Do you think the man who lives in the house of the another remaining domovoi, would still see us this late?"

Spoiler
    Show

If the group is leaving, Irethírra leaves her backpack in her room, so she'll be on Light load.

20. - Top - End - #50

"I shall inform the domovoi of the other house that you will be arriving, and that you are not intruders. You humans seem to prefer sleeping at night, so I do not know of the master of the house will be ready to see you or not, but at this point anything is worth a try."

The domovoi opens the front door and gestures in the direction of a street.

"You will find the house if you follow this street until you reach the town wall, then turn left from there. Take care not to call attention to yourself. I do not think that the abominations are mobile at night, but it is best not to make yourself appear suspicious."

"Good luck, and thank you." says the domovoi with a deep sigh.
    Campaign:

Characters:

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGirl

Thank you, kind domovoi, for your help. We shall not disappoint you.

Telim slings his axe on his shoulder in a normal and totally non-menacing fashion - we don't want to spook anyone, do we - and looks at the door.

Ready when you are, lady and gentlemen.

22. - Top - End - #52

Griffon

Irethírra bows slightly at the domovoi and thanks him for his help, then she walks out to the street.

23. - Top - End - #53

Flumph

"Thank you, domovoi." Meeka bows to the domovoi.

"Ready," she says to Telim.

She hooks her club in her belt, picks up her backpack and longspear and walks outside.

Spoiler
    Show
    How dark is it outside? Is the moon out? Meeka has low-light vision.
    Last edited by Parlity; 2010-06-18 at 08:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

The night is dark and cold. The frigid air occasionally wisps against the back of your necks, but aside from this there is no sign of movement or life. The only light source is a few small lamps, but this is not enough to keep the darkness at bay. With their low-light vision, Meeka and Irethírra have a slight awareness of where they are, but Randolf and Telim can only make out the barest of silhouettes.

You set out along the icy brick road, your footsteps the only sound against the blackness.
    Campaign:

Characters:

25. - Top - End - #55

Flumph

Meeka leans her longspear against her right shoulder and talks quietly as she rummages in her backpack.

It's dark out here. I'm getting out a sunrod out in case we need light. Telim, Randolf, will you take the center position? I call the front. If we walk slowly, I can keep us on the street.

She gets out a sunrod and tries to give it to either Telim or Randolf. If neither one takes it, she puts it in her belt for easy access. Holding her longspear ready while walking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Survival check to stay on the street, Survival 12.

26. - Top - End - #56

PirateCaptain

Randolf silently nods at Meeka taking hold of her sunrod. Randolf grips a dagger solidly in his other hand ready to throw it should anything hostile approach.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGirl

Telim nods and takes the center position, ready for anything that may come.

I hope those monsters don't wander the streets at night.

28. - Top - End - #58

Griffon

Irethírra walks last, holding her ritiik tightly in her hand. She keeps glancing around, hoping that she'll notice any other people, or monster, who might be on the streets. She's also listening intently for any unusual sounds.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+2)[9]

Listen (1d20+2)[14]

29. - Top - End - #59

You continue down the dark street, passing house by identical house. Occasionally, one of the buildings will have a light emanating from the windows, but there is no reaction from it as you pass.

You continue down, block by block. Soon, you pass by a larger, square building, and a smaller house placed next to it. Despite your best efforts to be silent, your movement ever so slightly displaces a small cart along the side of the road, which lets out a long slow CREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAK.

With cold sweat running down the back of your necks, you realize that the lights of the smaller house flicker on. A voice echos from the house,

"Hello? Is someone out there?"
    Campaign:

Characters:

30. - Top - End - #60

Flumph

Meeka freezes. She stretches a hand back to stop Telim and Randolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does it sound like one of the Borises? Listen check (1d20)[17]