New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Magic Under the Sun

For Posting
    Out-of-Character Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2390
    Map Page: http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/map.php
    Dice Rolling: http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py

Character Sheets
    Azadeth: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=6109
    Quintar: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=6750
    Tamboc: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.p...w_char&cid=416
    Tarinth: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=6313

Chonk: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=5881
    Mab: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=5884
    Tianna: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=5887

All right, time to get this train moving!

You're in the middle of combat, as shown upon the maps screen. *The warriors in formation are taking aim with their bows, and a keen eyed observer should notice the catapult in the distance is loaded.

Turn Order: Out of Combat
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2008-04-24 at 10:41 AM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Under the Sun

Tamboc charges straight ahead for a smiting spirited charge EDIT: just to clarify, against the dragon.

Attack: 1d20+24=29
    Damage: 2d8+32=48

The ride-by will go out just north of the troops.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The Dragon roars in pain as the sword penetrates his scales and divine power ravages his body.

Tianna struggles against the shadowy tendrils holding her in the black fire, and manages to wrench herself free. With a jerk, she stumbles just out of the flames. (( Elation's duration down to five rounds. ))

The dragon climbs high into the sky at a steep angle. Soon, he evens his flight path out, and turns around, heading in what would be Tamboc's direction if Tamboc were 150 ft. higher.

The unarmored shadow elf steps backwards. As he does so, shadows spring up around him, and the area immediately around him grows dark. You can just barely make out the forms of this elf and his ally.

The wemics near Azadeth's tower take some flasks out of the packs they carry. They smash the flasks against the wall. A noxious, green liquid splashes out and starts eating through the wall at an alarming rate. (Not visible to Tianna, Tarinth, Azadeth, or Chonk). The other wemics continue to move forward with their battering ram.

The Large, armored shadow elf picks herself up (( she has concealment, so she does not provoke an AoO )). She mutters some strange words. Tarinth feels a sharp pain behind his eyes as mystic energy attacks his body, but he manages to shrug it off (( Fort Save (1d20+7=22) )).

Mab moves closer to Azadeth's tower, reaching into a pouch by her belt. She removes a handful of sand and crushed rose petals, speaks a few arcane words, and blows the sand and petals out of her palm towards the wemics near the tower. Two of the wemics drop over and begin to snore loudly.

Meanwhile Mipsy touches her paw to the bottom part of Mab's cloak, let's out a strange squeak, and disappears into her familiar pocket.

(( Quintar is up. Map has been updated. ))

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Um, I know it's Quint's turn, but this is the only time I can post today. I follow the same thing as the Out character note.

Tarinth Bellows to the remaining wemics
    Brothers, you need not serve your cruel master any longer. You are free to follow your own destiny now!
    Then, assuming Quint hasn't killed the elf next to me, I attack(Maul, Maul, Ckawm, Bash). Otherwise, I do nothing. Hopefully I can figure out this dice thing.

1st maul: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652501
    dmg: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652516
    2nd maul: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652506
    dmg: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652518
    claw: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652510
    dmg: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652519
    Bash: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652514
    dmg: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=652520

Also, please tell me in the ou-of-character forum how to post these rolls like you people do.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

You can hold your turn until I go.

First, Quintar whistles for Merlynn to fly over to him. As Merlynn listens, Quin is eyeballing the enlarged shadow elf, and busts out an acid arrow.

Ranged touch attack: Using warmage edge on first acid. The second two pieces of damage happen the following two rounds. They do not gain Warmage Edge. All acid damage. (1d20+6=21, 2d4+6=11, 2d4=3, 2d4=5)

After the acid arrow flies, Quintar yells for his allies to hear:
    QUINTAR
    "The Wemics have assaulted the walls with some sort of liquid! Its eating through the wall!"

Note to DM: Remember, Maeb is controlling the construct.
    Rarity's number one admirer!
    Click on the dragon eggs to help them hatch and grow, or get some for yourself!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The blast of acid flies true. Quintar can just make out through the darkness the bolt striking the elf full in the face, the acid pouring through opening in her helmet. But he hears her scream of pain quite clearly. Meanwhile, Merlynn circles around a lands near Quintar

The fury of Tarinth's assault is not lost upon the large elf, as she puts up an equally furious defense, blocking the maul with her shield, and using the armor on her other hand to deflect the claw. However she is caught off-guard as Tarinth drives the spike on his shield into her side and crushes her against one of the wall's crenellations. Her body falls limp, and, in the shadows, Tarinth can just make out a pool of dark liquid forming.

Tarinth makes out some movement in the center of the shadows and hears a voice whisper, "No. No, no, no!"

"Yay, Boss Kitty!" rings from the tower above, the jubilant voice only tempered by a slight dragonfear-inspired warble. Chonk looks towards the dragon. He seems to decide the dragon is far enough away because he loads up his sling, steps forward and flings it towards the unarmored elf. Unfortunately, the elf just manages to dodge the bullet.

The catapult in the distance lets a stone fly. The stone heads straight for Quintar, smashing his arm as it smashes a nearby crenellation (( Quintar Catapult Reflex (1d20+4=11), failed save, 21 damage )). Merlynn just avoids being completely flattened (( Merlynn Catapult Reflex (1d20+6=14), failed save, 21 10 damage )).

(( Azzy's up. Map updated. ))

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Azadeth fires 2 arrows at the front right battering ram pusher (or whoever I've fired at already, if anyone...should one die, fire at the other front one).

Arrow 1 (1d20+8=19)
    Arrow 2 (1d20+3=13)
    Arrow 1 and 2 Damage (1d8+2=7, 1d8+2=6)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The first arrow flies true, and the archer is downed. (( Okay, I realize that during the live session you shot at the wemics without a problem. However, now that we have everything on one, easy to read map, it's easy to see that should not have been the case. You have to shoot through your Tower for that. So I switched your target to one of the human archers. If you wish to discuss this, bring it up on the OOC thread. ))

Of course, all the humans respond in kind, unleashing a storml of arrows. Quintar manages to duck out of the way of most of them, though one grazes his good shoulder (( 4 damage )). Mab fares not so well, being struck by five arrows (( total 26 damage )). Having less of a crowd on their side of the keep, Tarinth, Tianna, and Azadeth don't have quite as many arrows with which to contend. Still, Azadeth is struck by one (( 5 damage )), Tianna by three (( 16 damage total )), and Tarinth by another (( 8 damage )).

(( Tamboc? ))

9. - Top - End - #9

Tamboc spirals down to about 20' off the ground directly above the group of 4 troops. He uses Lay On Hands to bring Squaw back up to full health.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I guess I use my wall walking and go down to kick some wemic but. I'll modify this post when I have my attack roll issue resolved.

Also, I've posted my temp HP on my sheet now and YES, because I know you'll ask, I took the 8 arrow dmg.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

As Tamboc descends and heals Squaw, Tianna raises her holy symbol in the air, shouting, "May the Holy Light shine upon us!" A burst of light issues from the metal disc, filling those it touches with hope. (( Everyone but Tamboc and Squaw recieves the benefits of bless (+1 morale to attacks and saves vs. fear). Elation down to 4 rounds. Bless lasts 90 rounds.)).

The Dragon dives downward, passing by Tamboc within 90 ft. (both above him and just to the north). As she does so, the dragon lets loose a blast of acid from her mouth. (( Tamboc takes 40 damage, and Squaw takes 40 20 damage (Acid Reflex (1d20+8=14) and Acid Reflex (1d20+8=20) failed saves respectively ) )). After diving, the dragon levels out and starts climbing a steep ascent.

In the darkness, Tarinth can make out the other shadow elf unsheath something and point it at him. "Get away from her," he says. Suddenly, what little shadow Tarinth has on the overcast day, darkens, filling out with detail. The shadow rises up as a full likeness of the psychic warrior, and lashes out at Tarinth with its claw filling him with mind-numbing cold. A suddenly as it sprang up, the shadow collapses and returns to normal. While Tarinth manages to shrug much of the attack off, the cold still leaves its mark (( Successful Will save (Afraid of the Dark Will Save (1d20+8=22)), 2 Wisdom damage (the damage also causes the loss of 3 power points) ))

The awake Wemic at the base of Azadeth, looks up at Mab, lets out a roar, then pulls out another flask, smashing it against the same area of wall. The combination of lingering acid and the second flask eats a hole in the wall large enough for the wemic to enter the tower.

Seeing this breach in the defenses, the wemics in the field drop their ram and start running for the keep at a full tilt.

Mab yells, "They've breached the keep!" She digs a prism out of her component pouch makes a quick gesture with it before holding it up in the air. Despite the cloudy day, beams of colored light issue from the prism, engulfing the running Wemics and a two nearby humans. Three of the wemics and both humans immediately stop what they are doing, transfixed by the colors. Mab waves her hand, and the colors begin to drift away as those tranfixed by it prepare to follow it. Mab then drops behind a crenellation, taking cover, and digs a vial out of her belt pouch.

(( Map updated. Quintar's turn. ))

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quintar speaks a giantish vulgarity under his breath, and reaching into his spell pouch, takes out a pinch of sulfer, and a small pound of bat guano.

Quintar
    "You wanna play rough, huh?

Quintar hurls the fireball, centering it on the catapult. Yes, they're in range. It will deal the following damage (reflex for 1/2).

*Fireball ignites all combustable objects in an area* (11d6=42)

Quintar ignores the Wemics: they have a construct to deal with. ;D

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Uh, fireball caps out at 10d6. And the catapult's wood is too thick to be readily combustible, though the device will take damage, it's not gonna burn up. Not that either point matters, as you will see... ))

The men around the catapult all drop, very badly burned. Two of them likely won't be getting up again. The catapult is heavily singed.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, forget the Wemics. I go after the elf if its still up after Quintar's turn. I don't know if I take penalties for the darkness around it, but I have light cast on my maul. Anywho, you can sort that out. I advance upon it and Maul, Maul, Claw. With the data from my old sheet and the elation and bless I think the matrix will be +15, +10, +9, but who knows for sure(not me).

Maul: 1st Maul (1d20+15=20)
    Dmg:1st M dmg (2d8=9, 1d4+7=9)
    Maul:2nd Maul (1d20+10=12)
    Dmg:2nd M dmg (2d8=7, 1d4+7=11)
    Claw:claw (1d20+9=14)
    Dmg:claw dmg (1d6+7=8)
    Um, Meow? These computer dice hate me, and apparently an 8 followed by a ) makes this 8) and even links are subject to the smiley reign of terror.

Also, chonk makes another ten foot step, and pelts the nearest wemic breaching the wall. I know you modified chonks BAB with elation, but I don't know if it includes the recent Bless.
    att: sling (1d20+13=28)
    Dmg:sling dmg (1d3+1=4, 3d6=11)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Yes, those numbers are correct. And to do away with the ill-thought shades-smiley, check the box that says, "Disable Smilies: Check this if you'll be adding code (or don't like smileys)." It will disable all smilies, but Tamboc, Azadeth, Quintar and Tarinth probably find it difficult to speak in smilies anyway. ;). (Oh, look. A demonstration.) Oh, and for the damage for the maul, you can enter it as 2d8+1d4+7, and the dice roller will interperet it correctly. ))

Tarinth moves in, smashing the shadow elf soundly with his maul. (( He's more than five feet away, you cannot make a full attack unless you use psionic lion's charge. For simplicity's sake, I'll tell you the next two attacks would have missed anyway, so you can save your power points if you'd like. )) Though clearly injured, the elf manages to keep his feet.

(( It's a move action to load the sling, so he's gonna have issues using Skirmish. If he wants to get Skirmish damage, he'll have to load this round and wait until next round to attack. However, Chonk's impatient...))

The sling bullet flies true, striking the elf in the head and knocking him out. As he falls, the darkness around him fades.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr the Phantom
    (( Uh, fireball caps out at 10d6.

Its a mist-type. Sue me.

EDIT*
    Snarky involves >:(
    Apathy involves no faces.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

(( * cksht * We would like to remind all customers to please keep snarky OOC requests for legal action to the OOC thread. Or, failing that, please use the handy OOC double parenthases. Thank you. * cksht * ))

[hr](( Uh, Azzy? ))

18. - Top - End - #18

(Sorry, our internet connection wasn't working, and yes I know I could go on campus, but I didn't.)

Fire three arrows at the archer to the left of the guy I downed. If it takes out that guy, then move onto the one next to him. And, if for some reason, they are easy to kill, one of the archers behind them would be the next logical target.

Arrow 1 & 2 Attack (1d20+12=28, 1d20+12=13) (And thus my second attack rolled a 1...I can't remember if that constitutes the end of my turn or not. I'm going to do my next attack roll and if it doesn't count then ignore it.)
    Arrow 3 Attack (1d20+7=11)
    Arrows 1, 2, & 3 Damage (1d8+2=3, 1d8+2=6, 1d8+2=3)

(Wow, crappy rolls.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

(( All a natural 1 means is that it missed. You get all shots ))

Azadeth fires off three quick shots. The first one drops one of the humans. The other two are a wild miss and a simple bounce off the armor. (( BTW-Shouldn't damage be 1d8+3? 1d8 base + 1 magic + 2 favored enemy? ))

groups of archers begin rapidly moving to the damaged tower. The others take more cautious steps before letting their arrows fly.

That is, all the others except for the members of one formation. Two members of this formation follow Mab's rainbow pattern. The rest of the members are bewildered by this action on the parts of their teammates and start shouting for them to come back.

Two arrows penetrate Quintar's armor (( 6 damage from one, 2 damage from the other )). Tarinth and Azadeth manage to dodge all the arrows that storm over their position, taking cover behind nearby crenellations.

(( Map updated. ))

20. - Top - End - #20

Tamboc spirals up as high as Squaw can take him (should be 90' above his current position) and dumps the rest of his Lay On Hands into himself.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

As Tamboc heals himself and Squaw flies high, the Dragon continues to ascend, makeing a light turn as she does so. She also makes a strange growling noises and her shape becomes indistinct as her movements begin to leave a trailing image. (( Quintar, Tianna, and Mab recognize the effects of a blur spell. ))

Tianna grabs a wand from her belt and uses it to fire yellow bolts of energy at one of the archers on the ground, dropping him. (( Elation down to 3 rounds, bless down to 89. ))

Three of the enemy wemics follow Mab's rainbow and stand within it, fascinated by its colors. The other visible wemic continues moving towards the breach in the keep.

The ground-level door to Azadeth's tower bursts open and the wemic behind it roars. At this, the construct begins advancing on the wemic.

Mab uncorks the vial in her hand and downs the contents. Several of her wounds close up, but she's still quite bloody. She peeks from behind the crenellation she's hiding behind and makes a quick gesture. The rainbow continues to move away from the keep.

(( Map updated. ))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Meow. Now that the weak drow lay dead at his feet, Tarinth uses wall walking to go into the keep and uses his dorje of HUGIFICATION to make himself HUGEIFIED, roaring with his HUGEIFIED lungs to warn the attackers of the death they will surely meet if they step with the boundaries of Elfsong Keep. He holds action to charge the first wemic that enters, assuming they aren't killed by my round. If they die, I hold for the first humans to enter. Chonk will move ten feet and load his sling, targeting one of the humans near the outer wall.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

(( 1. How are you drawing the dorje? One hand is holding a heavy shield and the other is holding a maul. If you want to go down the wall and activate the dorje this round, you'll probably have to drop the maul. You'd have to rely on your claws and shield bashes until your next turn, when you can draw your dire pick (though putting the dorje away rather than dropping it would be a move action).

2. (Free action to drop the maul.) Move action to go down the wall and draw the dorje at the same time. Standard action to use the dorje... You have no actions left to allow you a chance to ready to attack the wemics. Readying is a standard action. ))

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quintar is getting tired of the archers. He's casting a cloud kill.

It will center in the keep-side square, underneath wemic #6.

Notes: Cloudkill lasts 1 min/level, and will move away from Quintar 10 ft per round. All figs, 3 HD or less are automatically dead. 4-6 HD can make a fort save (DC 20). If made, they only take 1d4 Con each round they're in the smoke. >6HD Creatures in the smoke cloud only take con damage (DC 20 Fort for half).

I'll roll the first Con Damage, DM o mine, and you can roll the rest, since you're keeping notes. (1d4=3)

Meanwhile? Quintar and Merlynn back up one square, trying to gain some cover.

EDIT
    Beej, I just noticed my buckler wasn't included in my AC. I've had a 21 since "bless" has been in effect, and 20 all the time before.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

All the humans caught in the cloud drop over, dead. The wemic, however, manages to keep to his feet, though he chokes, trying to fight off the effects of the noxious, green vapors.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is silly. All I have to do is touch the thing with some part of my body for a moment and think about it. It is strapped to my wilderness harness so I can just brush it. But since I know you wont allow that, screw it. I don't become hugeified. :'( I do however hold my action to charge the first wemic coming through the keep cuz of course they won't respond to me if I try to talk to them. Evidently they don't give a hoot that their free now cuz all the villians we face are fanaticall zelots who never talk or turn.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarinth tenses up as he prepares for just the right moment.

Meanwhile, in a fit of quick thinking, Chonk simply loads his sling and prepares to try one of his super-deluxe running shots.

(( Azzy's up. ))

28. - Top - End - #28

Well I'm not quite sure who's left, but I'm guessing there's still archers to be shot down. If there's any on my side I shoot using the same method as earlier. If not I'll have to find a way to go around to the other side of the keep and kill some there. If I get downstairs and if there are Wemics down at the bottom of my tower I'll shift into an Anis.

Arrows 1 & 2 Attacks (1d20+12=24, 1d20+12=16)
    Arrow 3 Attack (1d20+7=25)
    Arrows 1, 2, & 3 Damage (1d8+3=4, 1d8+3=4, 1d8+3=8)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Azadeth lets three arrows fly and drops three of the enemy archers.

After suffering at the hands of several nasty spells (especially that cloudkill) without seeing any sign of response from Arzel, most of the archers on Quintar and Mab's side of the keep begin to panic. Many turn tail and flee after their comrades. A few determined souls near Azadeth's tower, however enter through the breached hole.

The archers on Azadeth, Tianna, and Tarinth's tower side have been fairly oblivious to the magic occuring on the other side. Still, the loss of six of their comrades has obviously taken its toll. Though they manage to stir just enough courage to fire another volley of arrows, these men are visibly shaken. As a result, the mess of arrows is rather ineffective. Most of them strike the wall and crenellations, but one grazes Tianna's shoulder, gouging out a nasty wound (( 9 damage )).

(( Map updated. ))

30. - Top - End - #30

Tamboc guides Squaw higher (as high as possible) and in a lopsided arc to put the pair above the road NE of the NE tower, facing away from the dragon. While Squaw flies, Tamboc stows his shield and casts resist energy (acid), duration 600 rounds.

((I'll keep track of that if you really want me to.))