New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Question Re: Magic Under the Sun

(( Uh, was Tarinth making the decision to attack Krystille based on Quintar and Mab going down? I don't think he could see that happen where he was... ))
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Under the Sun

He based his desicion on reinforcements ariving. He's thinking about taking a hostage next round if he can grapple the umbral warlock or just pick her up if she goes unconscious. Hopefully she's important enough.

Anyway, it would be unlikely that i could save Quint and Mab, then fly out of this huge courtyard, witch would probably all take about three or four rounds at the very least, and make it out with three spellcasters firing away at me during all that. Azy and Tamboc have a good chance of getting out if i provide distraction. Seriously, if i miss a save, the first spell will take me out, while Azy still has great HP. I would rather be unconscious on the tower than sixty feet above ground holding an unconscious Mab who would fall to her death, followed by myself when the spell disapates.

Edit: Never forget, your talking to the guy who waved his maul as a form of nonverbal diplomacy here.

To post below: Yeah sure thing boss.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-15 at 01:22 PM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Just checking. The way you phrased it, I was uncertain. And I thought it was wierd enough that it wasn't just me being anal retentive about OOC knowledge... ))

(( Actually, her level's only 5 ft. above yours. Square-wise, it would probably count as a 5-ft. step across all 3 dimensions, but you only have good maneuverability, which penalizes movement upwards by half, so it actually counts as 15 ft. of movement (since it's on a diagonal). If you could get yourself perfect maneuverability, which lets you ascend at full speed, you'd be set. ))

Though distracted by the newcomer, Krystille senses Tarinth's surprise assault and manages to dodge so the maul only grazes her, though she is badly burned by the psychic energy.

Jack, the guard captain laughs at Tarinth's plea.

Tianna yells, "No! You are not taking her!" and flies down towards the sinking earth minotaur. She grabs at Mab's limp hand and tries to pull her away, but the minotaur is to strong and does not yield (( 'Disarm' attempt (1d20-1=10) )).

(( Quint—go for a stabilization check. Tamboc's Up. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-12-15 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Turn Resolution; Tianna's speech color was off; Disarm roll

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh My Gods!! She beat AC 35! I am so screwed, I mean even more so than before anyway. There ought to be a smily face for terrified cuz a pink eek face just doesn't cut it. Now what's this about grazed by psychic energy? Did part of my attack hit her or something? I am unfamiliar with the system and rarely catch hidden refferences to damage reduction and stuff like that.

Also, a bunch of questions. What kind of a grapple check do i need to take hold of the Head Umbral Warlock next round and is she armed with any apparent weapons that might hurt me when I do so? Can I do that smother thing like the Minotaurs did to Mab? After a grapple could I still do a half move to the tower edge and threaten to throw her off?
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-16 at 02:33 PM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinth View Post
    Oh My Gods!! She beat AC 35! I am so screwed, I mean even moreso than before anyway. There ought to be a smily face for terrified cuz a pink eek face just doesn't cut it. Now what's this about grazed by psychic energy? Did part of my attack hit her or something? I am unfamiliar with the system and cannot understand hidden refferences to damage reduction and stuff like that.
    ((I'm pretty sure it is damage reduction. Basically, she's tough enough that she will absorb most forms of physical weapon damage. But the psychokinetic part of the maul isn't effected by damage reduction. So even though all or most of the maul damage was negated, you still did damage.))

Come on, Tarinth!

Tamboc and Squaw fly down to the minotaur and attempt the same thing that Tianna just did. ((I'm not quite sure what bonuses should be involved here; I presume the minotaur is Large, and thus the same size as Squaw; I also presume that we're both working with the same variety of implements (claws vs. hands) so the penalties/bonuses should even out.)) (1d20+12)[20]

Also, if Tamboc can without risking Mab, he'll stab the minotaur as well. (1d20+19)[24], (1d8+5)[10]

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Magic Under the Sun

(( She's sufficiently injured and sufficiently frail that any damage done by the maul that doesn't drop her below 0 hp has got to be the type of hp represented by luck or other factors other than the meat on her bones. Especially when the damage is done by a freakin' huge hammer.

Of course, I have pointed out enough earlier to show that she has some form of DR that is not overcome by magic weapons, too. So Tamboc's also right on that. But she did take most of the maul damage.

Rules on Grappling. The bear hug was just a description of using a grapple check to deal nonlethal damage. And she's been flying, so throwing her off the tower might not really do much.

She's been zapping everybody—particularly Tamboc—with her magic, though a scabbard holding a rapier is visible at her side. In short, no weapons that that are ready to make any attacks of opportunity.

Tamboc: Claws would take the -4 penalty for a disarm attempt with a light weapon. Fortunately, it's still holding onto its hammer, so it doesn't count as "wielding" mab 2-handed.

Oh, and to reach the minotaur, you do have to cut through the wind: Fort Save vs. Wind (1d20+8=19). ))

Tamboc and Squaw dive off the main tower. Though they are blown a bit off course by the wind storm (( Blown Back (1d6*10=30) )), they right themselves and dive right through.

Tamboc's sword bites into the minotaurs shoulder, but doesn't really cut deep through the tough sinew.

Squaw attempts to grab Mab from the minotaurs grasp, but it is able to grab her away a moment too soon.

The prone shadow elf looks up at Azadeth and closes its eyes. Suddenly shadows rise up from the tower roof, absorb the elf and disappear. Though to Azadeth's eyes, that is the end of things, Tarinth can make out a shadowy shape form in the dark area behind the tower at which that elf was previously stationed.

The shadow elf remaining on the tower growls at Azadeth, "Flee!". Azadeth feels a dark, shadowy influence attack his mind, but he is able to shake it off (( Will Save (1d20+8=19) )).

The guard captain stops laughing and says to his men "Kill that filthy, dark traitor," while pointing at the shadow elf that mentally assaulted Azadeth. The guards look amongst themselves somewhat puzzled, but puzzlement gives way to a few grins as they quickly step forward and loose a volley of arrows at it. Though the semi-solid shadows surrounding the elf deflect most of them, one manages to penetrate the protection and take some flesh with it.

(( Azzy's up...

You know, you don't have your conditions up for Azzy, either.

And I don't think Tarinth's "current hp" box is accurate... ))

7. - Top - End - #397
    Halfling in the Playground

((Seriously, anyone have an suggestions? I'm drawing a blank here.))

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

Got me? My intension of taking a hostage is probably a desperate bid of stupidity at the very least, while the best option is running away with Tamboc. Do whatever you want. Apparently the guards have a desire to kill the dark elves but won't help, which is odd considering they will probably be severely punished for their dissobediance and creative interpretation of command word Flee.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-17 at 04:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Well, you could see what Tamboc and Tianna are makin' such a big fuss about. (Though I'm not certain you have enough speed to get down and give one last attempt at wresting Mab away...)

Tarinth: double check who was ordered to flee. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-12-17 at 06:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400

((I suppose that would be a good idea.))

Azadeth goes to see if he can figure out what the fuss is about. If I can make it there I'll help, but I don't think I can in one turn.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know Azadeth was ordered to flee, but the guards are attacking a dark elf, right. What am I missing?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Okay, I think I misinterpereted what you were getting at with the "creative interpretation" bit. ))

(( Stabilization check for Quintar (1d100=83). ))

Azadeth flies down. But the wind blows him off course (( Fort save vs. Wind (1d20+15=19); Blown away 70 ft.; 7 nonlethal damage )) By the time he reaches the Minotaur, he's too late, as he sinks into the ground, carrying the enchantress with him.

Even the elite guards join in peppering the shadow elf.

Taking everything that's going on, the cloaked elf says, "What?! No!, though the "No!" seems almost to be a response to the newcomer who hasn't actually spoken a word since his arrival. She carefully withdraws from combat then turns tail, sailing high and over the winds she summoned earlier.

The new comer frowns. He then also rises up, semingly making to give chase. But only a short ways up, he stops and the shadow elf mysteriously falls from the sky. He then turns, and gives Tarinth a piercing stare.

Tarinth hears a cold voice ringing through his head—not carried via his ears, but entering his brain directly, "Thank You, Tarinth, but our men are free. I think it's time we all had a little chat."

Though he's not concious to appreciate the fact, something happens to heal Quintar of 7hp, stabilizing him.

(( Map Updated. ))

(( Tarinth's up. ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-12-20 at 09:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarinth watches in amazement as as the head umbral warlock drops from the sky. In his mind he says Yeah, in your debt and all. Can ya get us outa here?. He then charges the Dark elf that is not being pelted by arrows as he yells Tamboc, Azadeth, don't go! Our luck has changed!

Charging Maul (1d20+16=25, 2d8+10=18, 1d4=3) I don't know if charging is still -2 att and +2 dmg. If not, then please adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-20 at 05:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

It was all a trick. You only got as far as you did due to Rakeri's curiosity. Then, after wearing you down in combat, he sprung his reinforcements. Between the not-quite-subtle threats of the telepath Ferian and the resignation his high-ranking hostage and Threnacian herald Jareth, you were forced to surrender. Hinting that you may make your way from simple prisoner to "guest" (a diplomatic way of saying "prisoner with comfortable quarters"), you have been taken into the strange fortress, with the promise of a debriefing/interrogation for the next day.

Naturally, all your gear has been confiscated as well.

The dungeon doors open to a balcony over a large pit-like area with individual cell blocks. You will be given general run of the place. Given the coup, the dungeon seems strangely empty.

Upon stepping down the first step to the pit, you realize the dungeon was designed to hold magically-endowed prisoners as you feel the various magics clinging to your bodies fade. When the last of you reach the bottom of the stairs, the guard pulls a lever, and some mechanical device causes the stairs to retract into the wall.

It is not long before you find Mab looking over Quintar's semi-concious body. Her familiar Mipsy is wrapped around her shoulder. Upon seeing you Mab grows horrified but can only manage a quiet, "Oh, no..."

More alarmingly, Tianna breaks out into sweats as the magic that held back the effects of the poison she had been drenched with during the battle fails.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarinth will help her over to a bench so she can lay down. Then, he will shout at the door were the stairs retracted for medical aid unless someone has a better idea for curing her without magic or healing supplies.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Somewhat weakly, Mab says, "Don't worry, Tare. Just a bit groggy. And surprised to see you all here."

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, so are we. I proceed to sumarize our situation.

18. - Top - End - #408

((Azy has anti-toxins, right? Tianna will need them.))

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Magic Under the Sun

(( Blargh... I forgot about Tianna, hence having Mab react...

Anyway... gear was confiscated... Poison Treatment Heal checks could help, though. ))

20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground

Soooo...did they confiscate my large sized playing cards. I want to play solitare until someone evil shows up to talk to us about turning to the dark side.

21. - Top - End - #411

Azzy has 2 antitoxins ready to be used if needed.

((By the way, what am I going to do about leveling up Azzy?))

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

They even took the playing cards. But they might be convinced to give them back after they've been inspected.

(( Oy, yeah. You still around, ericoedge? If not, I can PM you some of the necessary info. ))

23. - Top - End - #413

((Sorry to say I am back at school. I should be able to figure out what I need to do if you just give me some specific directions.))

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Already sent a Private Message. ))

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

Quintar moans and drools a little!
    Rarity's number one admirer!
    Click on the dragon eggs to help them hatch and grow, or get some for yourself!

26. - Top - End - #416

New, not as ugly Azzy :P just kind of sits there.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarinth pokes Mr. Drooly to see if he's asleep or unconsious. Upon finding him unconsious, he goes into a corner and do some more waiting for our evil captors. If nobody comes to get us in a day or two, Tarinth starts singing bad mournful goblin drinking songs that Chonk taught me so hopefully our captors will become so vexed that they pay us a visit.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, the antitoxins were with the confiscated gear. Fortunately, Tamboc is able to take care of Tianna just well enough to keep her relatively stable. It's a close call but it looks like Tianna'll pull through.

In the morning, Tianna's still doing rather poorly, but she's definitely stable. Quintar also wakes up in the wee hours.

(( Every one, heal up for a night of rest (that is 1 hp per hit die. Just to be nice, that'll include the recently gained one..) ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2008-01-29 at 08:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419

Did we see where they took our stuff? I'm not such a fan of a naked charge to the store room, but it might be possible.

I suppose we should at least wait for the "debriefing" we've been promised before doing anything rash.

30. - Top - End - #420

I'd say stay for the debriefing. Not really my favorite alternative, but I don't really see any better options.