New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Banned

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

grrrr Let's Play difficulties. I've played the same section of Dragon Age now FIVE TIMES in the past two days.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    The hamburger with bun is basically an American invention, if I recall correctly. People in Hamburg served it sans bun, with an egg on it.

Seriously, though, there's hundreds of distinctly American foods. Look it up on Wikipedia.
    Cactus Cooler for one, Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepsi, Root Beer...

What's going wrong in LP land, SuperGlucose? Still not able to get the commentary section to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Banned

Well this time I pushed myself a little far so I died on camera... and discovered that I had forgotten to save the whole time!

Basically here's the run-throughs:

1) finished tutorial level, but the commentary from Ion's girlfriend was grating, annoying, and didn't add anything. Left 3 minutes of it called it the "intro vid" and moved on.
    2) Finished tutorial level, realized I wasn't recording.
    3) Finished tutorial level, discovered that FRAPS doesn't record skype.
    4) Finished tutorial level, finished part of the first quest, died, realized I didn't save.
    5) Sprinted through on Easy (rather than Nightmare which is what we're playing)

Now we have to splice everything together because audio had to be saved in two places, and hopefully that corrects the problem.

4. - Top - End - #1204

NecromancerGuy

Wuff. Now that is a headache. Well, glad to see progress is being made, even if it's being won by your toenails.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Rather, where were you in school that you encountered this? I have no idea of what nation or part of said nation you're from or went to school in that you encountered such a bizarre thing.
    America, the west, specifically.

As for American-made foods, I point here.
    Last edited by PJ the Epic; 2010-07-09 at 08:00 PM.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a fan of Cajun cooking. Specifically ribs... bbq ribs are the greatest invention of all time.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Corn, beans, squash are a trilogy that's been around in Amurrica since before it was Amairikka. Fun times there. Also, Tomatoes. (And you thought those were from Italy)

Also, "Chinese," "Mexican," and I believe "Italian" restaurants and their menus are largely Amurrican inventions.

Molasses as something actually consumed or used in cooking is fairly american, as europeans hated the stuff and just made it into treacle instead so they could stand it. Or something like that.

Most processed foods are American(**** YEAH!), or we get blamed for them anyway.
    Potatoes. And turkey, if you want to count animals. Hmm... Pemmican and bannock.
    Last edited by Worira; 2010-07-09 at 08:28 PM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

8. - Top - End - #1208

NecromancerGuy

How could I forget turkey!? Turkey pastrami is probably the closest kosher thing to make up for the loss of bacon, after all.

And best of all, I can eats both!

Sort of in a love-hate relationship with potatoes(lousy parents becoming diabetic), but I can't believe I forgot sweet potatoes (yams being from asia/africa, pretty sure sweet potato variety of such things is indigenous americana)...

In other American-Centric American-related news... Apparently someone's finally sat down to try to figure out why we're useless with foreign-talk.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-09 at 08:58 PM.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Barbarian in the Playground

What we today call sushi was in fact invented in San Fransisco. Just throwing that out there.

EDIT: Or so I'm told. Wikipedia seems to think the contrary.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2010-07-09 at 09:33 PM.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

Though I may occasionally mock the local accent, I find the article this guy linked - the one by Henry - vaguely offensive. It's like he assumes that the "standard" "non-accent" he uses is "correct". WHAT. Just because it's local doesn't mean it's wrong. Whatever is "standard" now may not be in fifty years. So what gives? Sometimes the Pacific Northwest tendency to pronounce "i" and "e" identically grates on my nerves, sure, but. But. BUT.

Also Henry claims that it's standard American English to pronounce "immediate" as "ee-MEE-diat", but everyone I now says "uh-MEE-diat"?

In other words, BOO ON THAT GUY. I realize it's snobbish for me to be judgmental about his judgmental snobbishness (oooh . . meta . . .) but seriously dude.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Was anybody else watching the NASCAR Nationwide Series race? I think there was a rules screw-up there at the last restart...

The 20 and 22 were first and second, the 10 and 18 third and fourth. They have double-file restarts. Now, on the original start of the race, when a car has to go to the back of the field, they move the rest of that row up to fill its spot, simple as that. During the race though, it's been my observation that they linerally reshuffle the field, i.e. a car going to the back moves up everybody one spot period, as opposed to one spot per line...

Well, coming through turn 3 to the restart the 22 ran out of gas. Based on prior observations, the restart should have been waved off and, the next time around, restarted with the 20 and 10 on the front row. Instead, the outer row moved up, with the 18 going from fourth to second - and going on to win...

...I think Joey Lagano (driver of the #20) has good reasion to be perturbed at the moment.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #1212

NecromancerGuy

Bushranger, unfortunately, despite being of Alabamian and West Virgini'n descent, I have no clue what you just said. So I'm less than useful as to resolving this potential rules snafu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Sometimes the Pacific Northwest tendency to pronounce "i" and "e" identically grates on my nerves, sure, but. But. BUT.

Also Henry claims that it's standard American English to pronounce "immediate" as "ee-MEE-diat", but everyone I now says "uh-MEE-diat"
    Well, that is pronouncing it incorrectly.

Which is perfectly fine as long as you're not a television broadcaster.

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    What we today call sushi was in fact invented in San Fransisco. Just throwing that out there.

EDIT: Or so I'm told. Wikipedia seems to think the contrary.
    I believe certain styles of it were. Especially california rolls and the ones that have anything to do with vegetables. Certainly vegetarian sushi seems a likely candidate.

But there are two creation stories for sushi that go to Japan, one of which is contemporaneous with, and indeed, parallel to, the story of the development of the sandwich for something to eat whilst gambling and only having one hand free.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-09 at 09:54 PM.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground

Oh yes, and Cracked.com of all things reminded me of the Dust Bowl. Which...well, if you're not in the mood to be depressed, don't read about the Dust Bowl.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Oh yes, and Cracked.com of all things reminded me of the Dust Bowl. Which...well, if you're not in the mood to be depressed, don't read about the Dust Bowl.
    That implies that we don't know what the Dustbowl is.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    And no, it's not about Texans with automated guns and drunken black Scottish cyclopes turtling around a missile silo.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Well I did go through the history of the United States without mentioning it. Though I guess you could place it in the same slot as The Great Depression, it's an awful enough event to warrant mention on its own, now that I remember to do so.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1217

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Lucky people probably aren't. I don't know how many people outside of the U.S. would know about it aside from a what not to do in regards to agriculture.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

Yay random notes!

So, I never really watched Star Trek TNG as a kid, just when my dad had it on SciFi from time to time. And even then, it was more commonly Voyager, which I think came on UPN.

I digress.

So, I'm just getting around to watching TNG from the beginning. I hate Wesley Crusher.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Hey, it did hit Texas...
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

20. - Top - End - #1220

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    So, I'm just getting around to watching TNG from the beginning. I hate Wesley Crusher.
    He hates himself too. Of course, he changed his name to Wil Wheaton or something.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #1221

It seems every night, when it gets really late, I get really, really restless. I can't sit still and concentrate for the life of me. Whenever I try and do something, I immediately want to do the opposite, making me waffle over every activity I consider for the entire night, until I go to bed exhausted and depressed.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you get around it?

Lucky people probably aren't. I don't know how many people outside of the U.S. would know about it aside from a what not to do in regards to agriculture.
    Well, there's still desertification going on in some places, which basically leads to dustbowls. Bad news, to say the least.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Mhhhhhmmm. Here in Australia there is Nutella, a hazelnut chocolate spread, from an Italian company I believe. It pretty much dominates the market of chocolate spreads and, well, as it tastes very nice I can certainly see why.
    I think it has its origins from Germany (we were able to get it when we ("we" being my 8th grade German class) went to a German language camp). Then again... It says 'ferrero' under the name, so I don't know

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Corn, beans, squash are a trilogy that's been around in Amurrica since before it was Amairikka. Fun times there. Also, Tomatoes. (And you thought those were from Italy)

Also, "Chinese," "Mexican," and I believe "Italian" restaurants and their menus are largely Amurrican inventions.

Molasses as something actually consumed or used in cooking is fairly american, as europeans hated the stuff and just made it into treacle instead so they could stand it. Or something like that.

Most processed foods are American(**** YEAH!), or we get blamed for them anyway.
    We ALSO have SPAM (Crazy Good!). We have an asterisking museum devoted to SPAM in Minesotta (spelling error)! It feels as if it were just yesterday that I tasted that gelatinous meat made up of chicken, ham, turkey, an tuna byproducts. I liked it.

24. - Top - End - #1224

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    It seems every night, when it gets really late, I get really, really restless. I can't sit still and concentrate for the life of me. Whenever I try and do something, I immediately want to do the opposite, making me waffle over every activity I consider for the entire night, until I go to bed exhausted and depressed.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you get around it?

Well, there's still desertification going on in some places, which basically leads to dustbowls. Bad news, to say the least.
    Yeah, desertification is bad news. And yeah, sometimes I get really restless late at night. Not usually that much and it's very rare that I do and I gneerally don't have to wait very long for walking around to tire me out and to go to bed all blecky and wake up and try the new day out.

Generally though, I just find there are a few activities that I can't get too restless for, or failing that, I'll find someone to talk to.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #1225

I know about it! Saw it on a documentary once. Felt sorry for the people.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently, using the anonymous option on formspring.me automatically makes you smarter and the person you're asking dumber.
    i bet you don't even know who this is, that would make you dumb since you dont get it, it makes me smarter than you
    Copied and pasted.
    I decided "No." and pointed out the many reasons why not knowing who they are is entirely irrelevant since, should I so choose, I could make jokes entirely above the heads of just about everyone I physically meet.
    Not to mention I'm fairly certain I've got an account that my friends are still struggling to identify. And I've asked plenty of questions, and nobody knows it's me.
    I feel like I'm just sitting here one-upping my friends... Or, I suppose, "friends", as the case may be.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Banned

Stroopwafels (I keep wanting to write another 'f' in there) are indeed awesome. Anything that fits into the category of "nearly pure sugar" is awesome to me, but these also have flavor. Perfect as long as you remember to not also add sugar to your tea/coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ the Epic View Post
    How 'bout French Toast? Ever consider making Belgian Toast? A sort of cross between a waffle and an egg-dipped cinnamon bread-thing?
    . . .I am now. A lot. They do sell pre-packed ready-to-eat waffles here, and I can make a passable 'French toast' batter. . .should have read this thread before going to the grocery store instead of after coming home.

. . .Still thinking about it.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Yay random notes!

So, I never really watched Star Trek TNG as a kid, just when my dad had it on SciFi from time to time. And even then, it was more commonly Voyager, which I think came on UPN.

I digress.

Don't worry. Everyone hates Wesley Crusher. That's why they eventually send him off to Starfleet.

He hates himself too. Of course, he changed his name to Wil Wheaton or something.

He's not even afraid of the Great Owl!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1229

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Remember Belgium people!

Also on traditional Dutch foods:
    Poffertjes
    Herring
    Pannekoeken bit different from the US way. We eat those sometimes for dinner.
    Different kinds of Stamppot
    Stroopwafels
    Sauerkraut with Unox worst I heard from my boyfriend in the US they eat Sauerkraut way differently.
    Our own version of pea soup.
    If you have fish you 'smoke' it.
    Asparagus when it's the season.

Potatoes are really traditionally used in a lot of dinners. Dinner usually consists of vegetables, potatoes and a type of meat. Breakfast usually consists of a sandwich and a class of milk/orange or a cup of coffee. With sandwich I mean two slices of bread and a toping like a slice of cheese. Some people eat a certain brand of porridge though. People also drink milk a lot.

Just some I could think of.
    I love poffertjes ! and pannekoeken/pancakes!
    Also love Unox worst, they don't have those in Belgium...
    yeah, potatoes are used in basicly every dinner.
    A lot of people in Belgium eat cornflakes too

We also drink tea without milk...
    Belgium is a lot like the Netherlands...
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-10 at 09:48 AM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

30. - Top - End - #1230

Latest nerdy compliment/pickup line from my boyfriend.

I'd be stunned, but I have more than 5HD, so I'm just dazed for a round.

At least, I think that was it. I can't really remember.

Oh, and poffetjes are awesome.