New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

"I am not sure why I am here," he began as they reached the bottom of the staircase. "My assignments have always been solitary or with a small group from my own order. And they have always been simple missions to destroy the sylmach or a hashek'syl.

"I trust, though, that my Lord Osiris will make His will known to me in time. For now, I will practice patience."
    It is obvious that Amun is not looking forward to this practice.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

"The--what would those be?" Manar asks. Not that I can't get the general idea, but specifics wouldn't hurt... "And would you prefer that I asked if those in charge have something for you to do while we wait for word from on high? I've already done the same for Aleksei." She starts striding up the spiral staircase, two steps at a time.
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

3. - Top - End - #363

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun again gives a slight and embarrased bow, "Forgive, sylmach is the living dead and hashek'syl means... those who mock death." Amun's brow furrows in concentration as he considers the translation. "They create the undead."

Considering her offer, Amun replies, "I do not require special consideration. I mention only that I am still unsure of my Lord Osiris' intentions for me in this place. I certainly do not wish to be found keeping myself busy when His call comes."

Amun has obviously kept himself in shape, but by the time they reach the top of the tower, he is breathing quite hard, though smiling.

"I thank you for your concern, Manar-Dirat, but I will content myself with the practice of patience."

Amun cuts off as he sees the view of the City of Splendours. He stands silently for a moment, his face showing a jumble of emotions.

"I have never seen a city so... large."

4. - Top - End - #364

"The word you want, I think, is necromancer. And... it's not special consideration if it's already been offered to someone else, but... eh. Just putting the idea out there. Figured if I'd offered the option to Aleksei, I should offer it to everyone." Manar stares out over the city, attempting to regulate her breathing and conceal the fact that she's also a bit winded. "Pretty, isn't it? And every building tells a story. That one, there, for instance..." She points down at a building with a tall, sloping shingled roof and tannish walls. "...back before I was Tapped, I spent some time here as a street musician, and that one was one of the best places to busk outside. The lady of the house was bedridden, but her window was right above the main square, and it always opened within a minute of the time I sat down with my dulcimer. Sometimes she'd have a servant bring a drink out on hot days. One time she invited me in and we spent the afternoon trading stories. I get sentimental about places with memories attached... how about you? What was your home like? Are there any places that have tales like that for you?"
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

5. - Top - End - #365

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

As Manar relates her memory, Amun's jumbled emotions appear to resolve into... disappointment? As she finishes, he quietly replies, "I do not find this... pretty."

He turns to Manar, a very serious, almost sad expression taking over his features. "I do not wish to make light of your memories, but the view of this city concerns me."

Manar's training tells her that he is not done airing his thoughts, so she watches him in silence for a moment that stretches almost to a minute.

"I am certain that much of what I feel comes from the difference between this land and my own, but I look out and see a city that seems lost." He pauses again for just another moment, turning back to the view of the city.

"I see people running about their business. I see houses and shops, markets and inns. But I see no devotion.

"In my land, cities and towns are dotted with pillars and obelisks, idols and statues. These talismans act as a constant reminder that, above all we do, it is the will of the Gods that grant us life. I feel I must fear for a city that does not recognize the hand of their gods in their lives, and I see no such homage here."

Amun returns to silence, a look of honest sadness and pity on his face. Manar finds it more than a little disturbing that one who recognizes such a great cultural divide would make such a sweeping judgement, but she cannot find any hint of superiority in his tone or face.

6. - Top - End - #366

"We have a sign. One that can be seen throughout the city. One that shines with the sun's light in the morning and catches the last ray of twilight." Manar looks down at the city below. "From here, every one of those people can see it. Every one of them looks up at least once. There is a reason why you can't... can you guess what it is?"

7. - Top - End - #367

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun replies without looking at Manar, "I have always been bad at riddles, but I suppose you could be referring to this tower."

After another brief scan of the cityscape, Amun turns back to Manar. "I do hope that I am wrong about this city."

He then turns back toward the stairs.

8. - Top - End - #368

"Exactly; you're standing on it." Manar sighs as Amun turns around, the laugh gone out of her voice. "I get the impression this means you won't be interested in a further look around." Despite her usually tight ability to hide the more negative emotions, a hint of disappointment and... not quite anger, but certainly irritation creeps into her voice. "You're going to have a lot of terrain to fear for, then, if that's your standard."

9. - Top - End - #369

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

"I am sure you have traveled much farther in this world than I, Manar-Dirat. But for all I can admit my experience is narrow, I cannot view this world through any other eyes than my own.

"Perhaps I will come to see things more as you do through my experiences in this land."
    It is fairly clear from his tone that Amun does not think this is a good thing.

10. - Top - End - #370

I sense this is going nowhere.... Florian wouldn't like it if I just gave up now, and I know I have to sound him out, but I'm not doing it without some sort of background activity... "Is there anywhere else you want to see, or are we going to have to call it an afternoon?"

11. - Top - End - #371

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun slowly looks from Manar's face to those of the others gathered in this place of ritual, more than one of which had heard the conversation. Something begins to dawn in his eyes.

"I am sorry, Manar-Dirat," he says as he bows formally to his guide. "I have upset you. Please forgive me.

"I will not keep you from further duties, but if you have the time, I would very much like to learn to see this land through eyes of compassion and tolerance, as you do."

12. - Top - End - #372

Not so much hidebound as a little oblivious to how it comes across. I can work with that.

"It's all right. As Florian always said, the mouse shouldn't complain at the deer for wanting more cover. As to guiding...." Manar pauses a moment, as if considering his request, then says, "Not a problem. Being a guide is my duty right now, after all. And it's market day today, so we won't need to impose on the temple for lunch." She smiles conspiratorially. "One of the lesser-known secrets in this city is that there's a lady down at the market, one Petra by name, who makes the best meatball soup for miles." Though he's probably not too good an audience for Jubal's line about how that soup "helped people get religion".... after all this time with Florian, being told that a light heart can be a prayer, it's going to be difficult working with someone who takes everything so seriously.

13. - Top - End - #373

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun smiles at Manar, "Then I shall not be satisfied until I have tasted it."

As the two reach the bottom of the staircase, Amun finds himself very surprised at his current situation. I have never met a woman with so forceful a personality. It is very much like speaking to a man. This line of thought, however, concerns him, and his face reverts to its standard "scowl".

14. - Top - End - #374

Manar raises an eyebrow, but doesn't comment as she leads him out toward the main exit. "I imagine there's a lot of difference between our approaches that we'll need to get used to." Seriously; if the teachings aren't as polar-opposite as paladin order approaches get, they're close... eh, may as well put all the likely differences in front of him, so he can get used to it. "Tell me.... what do your Order's teachings say about the possibility of redeeming those who've taken the wrong path?"

15. - Top - End - #375

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun considered the question for quite a while. "This is an interesting question. Our orders, I think, have very different goals. Osir-Dirat has two main focuses. The first is to see the dying through the Gate, the second is to make sure they stay there."

Amun's eyes suddenly light up as they have rarely been seen since he arrived. "Though the teachings of Osiris are not silent on this issue. The Book of Going Forth by Day teaches that this life is the time to prepare to meet your god. Further, those gods worthy of devotion will not deny us any attempt, while we still live, to reclaim their favor.

"This obviously will vary slightly from one god to the next, but any god who cares about His or Her followers will extend this hand of love to any who sincerely desire, as you say, redemption, no matter the past transgressions."

Oddly, Amun's command of Common seems to improve as he loses himself in doctrinal discussion, "Osiris is no exception to this. The Scroll of Ani states, and I apologize if I do not transalte this correctly, that 'we come through the Dark Gate to stand before Osiris, Lord of the Dead. Our hearts are placed on the scales with Ma'at's feather, light with truth and justice. The heart of the just is light as a feather, but the guilt of the wicked is heavier than gold.' It later states that at this weighing, that 'A life on the path of righteousness dispells all guilt,' meaning that it is our intent and actions as we leave this life, rather than the sum of our past sins that determine the weight of our heart."

Amun appears prepared to continue his discourse as long as anyone is willing to listen.

16. - Top - End - #376

I think that's more words in a row than anyone's gotten out of him the entire time we've been here--score! And goodness knows I've never even seen any of those scriptures before....

Manar nods for Amun to continue as she scoots ahead to get the front door, then leads him out and down towards the city proper.

17. - Top - End - #377

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Manar's gesture for Amun to continue takes him by surprise. This is usually where his teachers interrupt him. He appears a bit flustered as he grasps for what he was going to say next, as he thinks how odd it is to find such an interesting conversant in a woman.

"It is therefore obvious that, in the eyes of Osiris, no one is beyond redemption from evil to good. The evil gods, however, are as selfish and spiteful as the followers they do not deserve," here Amun's tone becomes quite hateful and derogatory, "and are as apt as any to turn their backs on those who do not please them in their whims.

"While it is Osiris' place to judge the souls of all in terms of the requirements of their chosen power, His teachings on redemption only apply to those just gods that respect the true intents of a man's heart.

"At least with any consistency."

18. - Top - End - #378

And nobody's started up THAT argument yet.... I feel blessed. Manar smiles back at him as she continues down the main road. "Of course.... Do feel free to ask me questions, too; after all, it's not fair if you're doing all the thinking, now, is it? Though before you do - it seems to me that you keep pretty rigorous standards for yourself. What do you do if circumstances don't permit you to hold completely to them?"

Hm.... devotional matter, or does that have to do with that odd glint to his eye a little while back? Best to tread carefully finding out...

19. - Top - End - #379

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun gives Manar a funny look, "I am not sure I understand the question. I cannot imagine circumstances where I could not keep my oaths."

He considers the question a bit, and then continues, "I have been in circumstances where I was not able to properly pray at the given times, but the scriptures say that an honest heart is lighter than ceremony... And when I travel, I cannot always pay my tithing regularly, but I always pay when I next visit a temple.

"Beyond this, my oaths dictate how I lead my life... How act and how I treat others. These cannot be prevented unless I chose to abandon them, which I never will."

The funny look returns to his face, then he asks, "Were you thinking of some practice in particular that you have observed in me?"

20. - Top - End - #380

She shrugs. "One part the ritualistic and ascetic aspects, one part.... one part whatever standards you apply to yourself, outside of your oaths. I know we all have them."

21. - Top - End - #381

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

"I see my oaths as being in two groups. There are those things that I have covenanted to do to the best of my ability, and when my ability does not allow, I rely upon the mercy of Osiris. The second group are those things I have covenanted to be, at all times and in all things and in all places that I may be in, even until death. These oaths cannot be prevented by circumstances.

"I have seen in my travels that my order seems stricter in our practices than many others, even within the Church of Osiris, but we are not unreasonable."

22. - Top - End - #382

So much for that question... I'd been going to segue into asking how he deals with failure directly, but I'm not sure it's going to come across...

Manar thinks for a moment, then asks, "All right... what brought you onto your path? How were you Chosen?"

23. - Top - End - #383

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun smiles again at Manar, an action he still finds odd. "You ask a dangerous question, Manar-Dirat. I am certain that many such chosen are too eager to relate a story so significant in their lives."

Pausing to make sure that his walking companion did not wish to rescind her request, Amun continued, "My father is a... magistrate, I believe the word is. And he is very wealthy. His oldest son, my brother, will inherit the position and the fortune. For me, the third son, the options were trade, military or church. That is not to say that the options were available to me.

"At the age of seven, I was sent to live in the temple and allowed to visit my family very rarely. It is the only life I have known. I have always wished to serve Osiris. But my path now is not what I expected it to be.

"In a war such as that which has ravaged the borders between Mulhorand and Unther for so long, there are many of the cloth who administer to the fallen, and it is an important role of the Church of Osiris to tend to this responsibility. I was doing so, not far from Azulduth, when my calling came."

As he begins to speak of his calling, the somewhat worrisome light enters his eyes again. "I had already served as Osir-Dirat as a priest of the temple for three years, and had begun to question my ability to serve Osiris. Administering to the fallen on the fields is particularly disheartening work. I had come to the end of another day, with no end to my duties in sight, and as I fell, weary, to the ground, I saw two sylmach, likely once soldiers, risen and feeding upon the corpses. As my heart began to sink, my eye caught another sight..."

Amun pulls his sword from its scabbard and holds it, reverently, for Manar to see. It is an old and well-used sword, the blade appearing pitted and almost too knicked and dull to be of any use. The grip had obviously been rewrapped, and the narrow crossguard displayed a once-guilded decoration which Manar recognizes as matching the tattoo on Amun's hand.

Amun's voice becomes particularly fervent, "This sword was standing, point down, in the earth. The last rays of the sun illuminating the holy symbol of Osiris. This sword stood between me and the sylmach, and a voice sung in my head, 'This is Ashen-Dediroh, who will guide your arm in My Service.'

"In that moment, I watched almost as an outside observer, as my hand took up Ashen-Dediroh and slew the vile creatures. I spent that night in prayer to Osiris and when I returned to the temple, the high priest welcomed me in my new service. Since then, I have served however and wherever I have been called in all the lands of Aber-Toril."

As his story completes, Amun does not look away from his sword. The light in his eyes flares briefly before he realizes that he has stopped walking and hurriedly replaces the weapon and bows a quick, smiling apology. "I am sorry, but I did warn you."

24. - Top - End - #384

...seems like everyone I talk to... no wonder they call us soft.

Manar walks for a moment in silence, her eyes downcast, until the two of them reach the city proper. At that point, she seems to remember who she is and what she's there for, and she straightens, adjusts her sash, and recovers her cheerful demeanor, smiling around her at the various locals. "Right this way, then," she calls over her shoulder, working her way down the street toward where the most noise seems to be coming from.

25. - Top - End - #385

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun follows Manar into the city, and his face shows the same expression he had in the tower. He stays close to his guide, and walks with his hand resting on the hilt of his sword, trying, but failing, to be nonchalant about it.

So loud. So many people wandering the streets as if they have nothing better to do.

Amun leans closer to Manar, pitching his voice a bit louder than it needs to be, "Is it always this crowded and noisy?"

26. - Top - End - #386

Manar's smile widens. "Actually, no, this isn't always what it's like. You should see it during a festival, when it's twice as crowded." She waits for a moment to see his reaction, then laughs. "This is actually one of the more active times of the normal week, since everyone comes in to sell their crops and crafts and what-have-you and exchange news."

27. - Top - End - #387

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Remembering the discussion in the tower, Amun opts for silence as he follows Manar through what he can only see as the bedlam of the city. He jerks and starts when anyone comes too close, and seems generally ill at ease among such chaos. From time to time he can be heard muttering to himself very quietly. Probably in Mulhorandi.

28. - Top - End - #388

Note to self: THINK before doing something like this. Manar strides through the town with an unusual briskness, though her outward demeanor is unchanged. It's clear she knows exactly where she's going; she unerringly moves right to a low-slung table run by a middle-aged woman with dark hair. After a moment's conversation and tossing a few coins on the table, she emerges from the thick of the crowd with two bowls of steaming soup and a pair of wooden spoons. "Here's lunch. I hope it's worth the inconvenience to you," she explains, handing one bowl--slightly more full than the other--and its spoon to Amun and starting in on the one she keeps.

29. - Top - End - #389

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Amun Natsur

Amun bows as he accepts the bowl with both hands. "Thank you, Manar-Dirat. I am sure that it will be quite pleasant." He seems a bit surprised at the idea of eating while standing, but -- after a quick, silent prayer -- begins eating anyway.

After a few spoonfulls of soup, he smiles and nods, "This soup is quite excellent. Thank you for introducing it to me."
    Last edited by Glikker; 2007-02-26 at 06:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390

"You're welcome. It looked like you could do with it." Again, that hint of laughter's back in Manar's voice. "Call it the spoils of having braved the crowds of Market Day." After a few spoonfuls of soup, she pauses, her spoon balanced on two fingers, and asks, "While I'm thinking about it.... how much value do you and those you know put on stories, old or new? I know I'd been trying to ask something like that when we got a little sidetracked by the... atmosphere here."