New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

Rayvon shook his head and said, "I beg to differ... How many minotaurs do you see here? I believe that that does make you, how did you say it, 'naturally wrong', here, in this setting. Actually in my travels you're the first minotaur I've seen, which puts you out of place in almost every setting. You are correct, we are all chosen representatives of our deity, but we are, first and foremost, mortal and therefore flawed. We don't live in a perfect world, however much we try to make it so."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:18 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei jerks upright at the gentle admonition.

"My...my apologies, Samuilovich Rytsar. I meant no discourtesy, though I admit my manner has been...off. The lord of these place will not see me, and I have traveled many miles to get here, through bandits and, I fear, some of your kind that have not seen the light. It is an honor to meet you, Samuilovich."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Samson smiles at Rayvon's words.

I agree. The world is imperfect. And part of my ... of our... struggle is to try to treat an imperfect world as perfectly as we can. Let me just say that I find it best to be the change I want to see in the world. If what I suspect is true, however, we will have ample time to discuss the difference further.

Samson turns his attention to the new arrival, and finds himself a bit confounded by his speech.

Sam-wheel-oh-vist Rit-star?

He pauses, thinking for a second.

I am Samson, and unsure why you said something different. I can only assume that we are not being seen because it is not yet time for us to be seen. Things happen at their own rate, and rushing them is folly.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon chuckled and decided to let the line of conversation die quietly. Pretending the world is perfect isn't what a paladin is about, but to protect those few perfect things against evil, perhaps Samson will learn this one day. "Perhaps something to pass the time while we wait? I have a set of dice or cards. Otherwise I'm going to go down to the docks and see if the fish are biting."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:20 PM.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

5. - Top - End - #95

....I'm impressed. Conflict and resolution in the time it took for me to figure out what to say--but I still have to say it, I think. Florian would be upset with me for not pointing out something this important.

Manar had stayed out of the way of the argument to collect her thoughts, but observes, "Under normal circumstances, Rayvon, I would agree with your point, but given that we are in the middle of a temple, and that Samson is wearing the garb of a holy warrior, anyone I would be likely to introduce him to here who would smite first and ask questions later doesn't deserve to wear their Order's emblem." She shrugs. "At least, that was what my mentor always told me about fighting without thinking. But we should find something to do; which games do you prefer, Rayvon?"
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"You're quite right Lady Manar, but then again it isn't very nice being surprised in such a way either is it? People can't always control their initial reactions, and feel bad about them afterwards. This is all a part of that imperfect world I was speaking of early. Anyway, as for which games, any, I love learning new games. Dragon's Talon or King's Crown are good ones."
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei turns to Samson.

"It is your name, in my native tongue. Sir Son of Samuel. I feel more comfortable with formal titles in it."

He returns to the others and smiles.

"Games, eh? I'll play any you've got. Used to be that's all I did between fights-gamble and...well...Anyway, what ones do you people know?"
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

8. - Top - End - #98

"Have game, will play." Manar grins. "Guests' choice, gentlemen."
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

9. - Top - End - #99

Samson slides back in his chair.

I will be content watching. Maybe I will join in a bit.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Would you teach us one of your games Alek," Rayvon asked. "I've never actually been near your homeland, one of the few places I've missed," he said as the natural grin fell back to his face.
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleskei grins, and his eyes light up.

"Well, here's one we played in the Hussars when we were between missions...not that we were for too long, being that we were the Hussars, but it's not hard to learn. It's called Gyal."

He winks as he begins dealing. "I'm not very good at it, though."

The game is a modified trick-based card game with some unusual trump rules, but as he said it is not difficult to learn.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon looked at the man with an amused look, "Of course not," and he chuckled, "It doesn't matter how good or bad they are, everyone always says that," and he started to learn the rules of the new game. It becomes fairly obvious he knows what he's doing, at least in the short term.
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

As the game goes on, Samson watches the cards change hands, trying to gain some insight into the strategy.

After a time, he stands, and walks around the common room, stretching his legs. He then returns to the table.

I think I will join the game, if it is possible to include me at this stage.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The card game went on for a little while in a friendly fashion in the near abandoned mess hall. Aleksei, actively trying to overcome his active discomfort with the minotaur, offered to team up with him in another four man game called Kings and Dragons. The stakes grew higher when Rayvon, leaning back and obviously enjoying himself immensely, tossed a gold coin in the middle of the table and suggested that they try their luck in gambling with each other. "A friendly wager," he said with a wink.
    Last edited by Varen_Tai; 2007-01-10 at 01:39 PM.
    Similes are like metaphors.

15. - Top - End - #105

Samson shakes his head.

If it is all the same to you, I'd prefer not to bet.

He leans back in his chair a little and yawns, grabbing his left horn as he stretches.

It's a new game, and I have traveled far.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei smiles. "As have I, friend, but I shall match good Rayvon's wager for us. I have played this game many times, and it has peaceful memories for me."

I was hasty, I think. Samson seems every bit the paladin-including the straitlaced mores. Ah well, we can't ALL be like me, or our reputation wouldn't be so pearly white!

"Let's see...the last time I played this game, we were charged with hunting bandits in the hill-country..."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon shrugged, "It's fine either way. I've found that games are more fun if there is something at stake, people try harder." He laughed as Aleksei went on with his story. At an appropriate time Rayvon interjected,"That reminds me of when I played this last... I tracked one of my assignments down in Calimport. I'd been travelling through the desert for the last week and stopped in at a tavern to rest and gather a bit of information on the area. Ironic thing was my partner was the man I'd been sent to find. Decent player too, when he wasn't cheating," he chuckled a bit.
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-11-01 at 05:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Manar also tosses a coin onto the table. "My last time, Florian and I were still on circuit. Ran into one of the worst cases on the street, and Florian set up the strangest wager I'd heard at the time--his coin against the other guy's willingness to try out living for the good of others. The look on his face when Florian won was priceless. Utterly, utterly priceless. We always say, fit the weapon to the situation!"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei gets a good chuckle out of that. "And did this man make good his wager? I'd think that precious few would hold to such a promise after you left."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

20. - Top - End - #110

"Yep. The guy's one point of honor was that he always made good on his debts, and besides, Florian made sure there'd be someone keeping an eye on whether he did or not." Manar grins. "We're not as blindly idealistic as the other Orders paint us, after all."

21. - Top - End - #111

Samson

I agree with that. Although gambling hasn't been critical to any of my missions.

I've never been much of a card player. I always preferred puzzles. When I was young, I was given a set of stone pieces, and told they could be assembled into a square in three unique ways. The first two I found quickly, but it was 5 months of playing at it before I found the third combination. That was most satisfying.

Samson continues to try to play with the others as best he can.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You wouldn't be able to remember how they were designed do you, Samson? It might be a good addition for my toys,"
    he said as he studied his cards.
    Last edited by chiefwaha; 2006-10-27 at 01:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The game went on for another 30 minutes before they all finally agreed to go to bed. Rayvon wandered out with Buddy to sleep at the inn he was staying at, and the other three settled down in the guest quarters at the very large temple.

It had been a very odd day, to say the least.

The next morning, everyone but Rayvon met again in the mess hall for breakfast. The small paladin was nowhere to be seen. Samson got many stares, some of them hostile, and it was disconcerting to receive them even in a temple, but he had grown used to them over the years. Late in the morning, Rayvon still had not shown up, and Manar had ducked away to write a letter arranging some personal business back at her monastary, leaving the other two to wander the city or the temple as they so desired.

In the middle of writing, there came a knock on her door, and the same messenger poked his head in. "Lady Manar, you are needed at the East entrance right away!" Tucking the letter away, she raced out there and waited for only a few minutes before seeing two figures on horses, trotting up the walk. One bore the obvious livery of a Herald of Torm, and the other wore much simpler clothing. These had to be the next two arrivals.

Standing in the center of the walkway, she stood out from the crowd, and the two newcomers saw her in the same instant she saw them.
    Last edited by Varen_Tai; 2007-01-10 at 01:39 PM.
    Similes are like metaphors.

24. - Top - End - #114

Here we go again.... may as well get all the important stuff out of the way at once.

"Greetings!" Manar calls, pitching her voice to carry to them as she steps forward. "Welcome to the Temple of the Morninglord; my name is Manar Ryanelle, and I have been instructed to be your guide until someone sees fit to tell us why we have all been summoned. Unfortunately, His Grace is not currently seeing people, so no, none of us have any idea what is going on, but I can and will attempt to answer any and all other questions you might have. May I have your names, please?"

Memory for later: Find out how many more people are coming. That or spend the next forty-eight hours doing things it'd be bad to be interrupted at, since that seems to be when everyone arrives.

25. - Top - End - #115

The first of the two riders squeezed his horse's flanks with his knees lightly, guiding her towards the waiting woman gracefully without needing to use the sable courser's decorative harness. "Herald Owyn and Squire Malfirin, at your service, ma'am." He had a clear baritone voice obviously accustomed to speaking above noisy backgrounds, and as he took off his oddly styled helmet, shoulder-length blonde hair burnished to gold by the sun. His face was weathered and tanned by long years of exposure to the elements; high prominent cheekbones behind an arched aristocratic nose and almond-shaped eyes marked him as clearly half-elven. That, plus the lines around his eyes, meant that he was likely twice the age of the woman meeting him.

Certainly, his equipment spoke of long years of travel. While his clothes were of Cormyrian silk and fine leather, they were cut in a fashion more common to northern Moon elf hunters and scouts, a close-fitting mix between court dress and practical wear in browns and greens. His boots were also finely made; their spurs were brightly polished but looked both removable and not particularly useful in goading a recalcitrant horse. Chain clinked beneath his tabard as he dismounted, the bright silver of mithral, and he bore a sword with no brightwork but an elaborate iron hilt.

Holding his reins in one hand, Owyn turned towards Manar only to reveal that he was almost a foot shorter. Though he was definitely looking up at her face, he managed to give the impression of meeting her eye to eye, on even ground. "You said 'us'; may I assume that we're to be working together shortly?" His eyes flicked over Manar, evaluating her in an entirely professional manner, then he smiled warmly and extended a hand. "I'm afraid I don't recognize you; it's been several years since my duties last brought me here."
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 01:03 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Trailing the herald, sitting somewhat uncertainly atop a slender brown mare, is an attractive young human man. His hair looks to have been cut recently and inexpertly - but there is a winning smile and agile eyes beneath the uneven brow. A dusty cloak covers a tabard of Torm, and there is the telltale clink of metal beneath that. A short sword is at his belt, and his horse is laden with two bulging bags and a small bow.

He follows close behind Owyn, and dismounts as the other man does - a bit more jerkily. As he straightens his attire, it's clear that he's only a few inches taller than Owyn, and almost as slender.

Malfrin bobs his head at the beautiful lady - Manar, was it? He tries hard not to stare at the golden-haired vision that Owyn is greeting, and so looks

up at the other warrior greeting them. And up. And up. Wow. Minotaurs look WAY different up close. And they smell...kind of good, actually. Warm. Comforting. And, of course, incredibly lethal.

With a clear lack of assurance, Malfrin smiles brightly at the massive minotaur and extends his hand.

Um, Malfrin, at your service, sir.

So he looks at the ground. The ceiling. The walls. And then just gives up and stares at the lady.

Hi there. Malfrin. Squire. Pleased to meet you.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

27. - Top - End - #117

"It's not surprising you don't; I'm only just past circuit training with the Dawn's Cleansing Light." Manar half-smiles. "I'm not entirely sure if we will be working together once everyone knows what's going on, but I'd assume so. Pleased to meet the both of you; shall I show you to the stables? I imagine you've been on the road for a while; where were you when the summons came?"

28. - Top - End - #118

The mare's ears pricked up at the notion of stables, and Owyn smiled. "Please, I'm sure Lady would love the chance to stay in a proper stable. I don't get to pamper her nearly as often as she deserves." He pats her flank with long familiarity, and she whickers. "I'm sure Malfrin's horse would rather be stabled as well, poor thing. Lady and I aren't used to traveling at a normal horse's pace."

Owyn followed her towards the stables, continuing to speak. "I was most recently in Baldur's Gate, delivering messages there, so it wasn't a bad ride at all. Once my duties there were fulfilled, Malfrin and I made haste here, but it was not at all unpleasant." Though Manar is leading the way, Owyn obviously knows it; in fact, it looks almost as if Lady is leading him. "If it's not too much trouble, after we've stabled, I'd like to meet the others. Are we the last to arrive?"
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 01:05 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

29. - Top - End - #119

Manar nods to Lady and leads the way. "Rest assured, they know how to treat our divine companions here. You can get a room adjoining her accomodations as well, if you would prefer that... and as for whether you're the last, I don't know. I wasn't given numbers or when to expect everyone, just told that if someone was seen coming I'd be called to the gate. You should've seen the look on my face when our third guest came through while I was trying to greet the second." She laughs. "You'll run into the others soon enough; most likely over dinner, since that seems to be the most convenient time for everyone to walk into the same room."

30. - Top - End - #120

Owyn shakes his head and smiles. "Please, it would be discourteous of me to stay with my Lady here and not partake of your generous hospitality. She and I have traveled together for enough years not to get lonely the first time we part. I will take care of her myself, as will Malfrin take care of his mount, but afterwards I would be glad to join you for whatever meal you may be eating." His statement about Malfrin's horse seemed to be mostly for his squire's benefit; less a chastisement and more a gentle reminder of priorities. Owyn proceeded to unsaddle and brush his mount, taking care of her water and food with the ease of long practice. The process was made quicker by Lady's adroit assistance in the matter, freeing Owyn to watch his squire and point out occasional mistakes or overlooked pieces of work.
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-03-16 at 01:06 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand