New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Stupid Lightsaber Variants

What would make it inherently a sith weapon? There are Jedi that dual wielded and had saberstaffs, so I doubt its the simple intimidation factor. It'd probably be more common among non human jedi, particularly very large species. It wouldn't have any additional offensive properties, but it might work fairly well at providing cover.

Not only blasters, but ship lasers as well. And not really, just something I found odd, considering how many settings have at least some energy weapons that have a square barrel, rather than a round one. There's really no need to have a round barrel for a blaster.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    What would make it inherently a sith weapon? There are Jedi that dual wielded and had saberstaffs, so I doubt its the simple intimidation factor. It'd probably be more common among non human jedi, particularly very large species. It wouldn't have any additional offensive properties, but it might work fairly well at providing cover.

Not only blasters, but ship lasers as well. And not really, just something I found odd, considering how many settings have at least some energy weapons that have a square barrel, rather than a round one. There's really no need to have a round barrel for a blaster.
    Familiarity.
    No, I couldn't remember any more guns. Hush.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    On the subject of duel-wielding being inconvenient, Miyamoto Musashi encouraged the use of two swords in the Book of Five Rings. This alone seems like a good enough reason to not discount the concept.
    Miyamoto Musashi wasn't dumb enough to think that one technique was the One True Way that should be used in every situation. He advocated using only the short sword while indoors, using both swords when surrounded by enemies, using only the long sword while in a one-on-one duel, using a spear from horseback, and using a gun when fighting from inside a fortified position.

His position was that dual-wielding was a good idea sometimes, not all the time. If Musashi were a Jedi, he'd dual-wield against hordes of mooks like droid armies and clones, but he'd switch to a single-blade style when dueling a Sith.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

My hopes were dashed because that one in particular sounded like they'd be what I was looking for, and they weren't. There was also a great deal of exaggeration in that post.

Its not like it'd be less practical than some of the other lightsaber variants out there, and its not always about practicality. When dealing with fiction, sometimes you want a weapon that should be impractical but just looks awesome.

And every single laser is round as well, not just lightsaber ones.
    Then why are you asking about lightsaber versions of Buster Swords? Those are the exact, antithetical, polar opposite of "awesome."

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    I'd quite like to see a Blaster rifle with Lightsaber-bayonet... especially if wielded by Kyle Katarn.
    This is awesome. You get points for the idea, but you get double points for mentioning Kyle Katarn.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

More sword like?
    Like this?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the doomed one View Post
    Like this?
    Yes! Though hopefully in a more standard lightsaber color.

And I was thinking more Solar Exalted Daiklave than Buster Sword.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes! Though hopefully in a more standard lightsaber color.

And I was thinking more Solar Exalted Daiklave than Buster Sword.
    Which is even bigger. There's a certain point where only the largest members of the order are going to be able to really wield these things.

It just seems like pointless overkill in my mind, and totally not in line with the general aesthetics of the Jedi, and Star Wars in general.

If you like Exalted Daiklaves....play exalted?
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    If you like Exalted Daiklaves....play exalted?
    Getting ready to actually.

And yes its going to seem a bit silly being used by most, but I'd still like to play a Jedi using a lightsaber with a Darksaber shaped blade.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Getting ready to actually.

And yes its going to seem a bit silly being used by most, but I'd still like to play a Jedi using a lightsaber with a Darksaber shaped blade.
    Well, one shaped like that Darksaber from the animated series doesn't seem a huge stretch. Maybe it's an ancient artifact or something; obviously it's not something constructed in mass lots...
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Well, one shaped like that Darksaber from the animated series doesn't seem a huge stretch. Maybe it's an ancient artifact or something; obviously it's not something constructed in mass lots...
    Well, every Jedi's lightsaber is supposed to be made themselves is it not? Why wouldn't there be at least one who chose a more blade like appearance for his? According to the Wookiepedia article, the Darksaber is an ancient weapon, might have been built before known protosabers, but upgraded to work with a modern power source.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

MY Sith (Because Sith are Teh Mos Kewl) is going to have twin automatic shotguns that fire sharks dual-wielding nun-chucks that have chainsaws on the end, where the teeth are all lightsabers.

He is going to be the utterly most badass and coolest Jedi/Sith Knight EVAR.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

In Saga Edition, (Jedi Academy Training Manual) there are large, thick lightsabers especially designed for Large characters- Great Lightsabers.

Medium characters can wield them- but they can't use finesse feats with them.

On Jedi wielding dual-bladed lightsabers- in Darth Bane: Rule Of Two, when several Jedi attack Bane and his apprentice, one wields a dual-bladed lightsaber.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele