New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn: OOC Thread 9

I'm tempted to make another Shinigami character just so Sakura doesn't have to be all alone in her division.

Translation help time! What would "Giver of Names" and "Blade of the Immortal" be in Japanese?

EDIT: @Purple Rose: 10th division has taken Maggot's Nest under its wing, so you might want to give alternate duties to the division.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-06-26 at 09:30 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    I'm tempted to make another Shinigami character just so Sakura doesn't have to be all alone in her division.

Translation help time! What would "Giver of Names" and "Blade of the Immortal" be in Japanese?

The closest word I could find for "Immortal" seems to be 神僊 (しんせん: "Shinsen"). It means anything from "Immortal Taoist mountain wizard" to "Taoist immortal" to "Supernatural being". Alternatively, and I'm really only speculating here, you could try 不滅人 (ふめつじん: "Fumetsujin"--"Fumetsu" = unbreakable, eternal, immortal, while "Jin" = person). 剣 (けん: "Ken") ought to work for sword, though AFAIK it should probably be pronounced つるぎ ("Tsurugi").

Thus, Blade of the Immortal should = 神僊の剣 or 不滅人の剣: "Shinsen no Tsurugi" or "Fumetsujin no Tsurugi". Or something like that. (I'm starting to get the impression that Japanese doesn't really have a term for the concept of an Immortal the way we do, or if it does, it seems to be an obscure word. Or, the Japanese term for the English concept of an Immortal might be a loanword.)

I'll need to do further research for Giver of Names, though. Give me a sec...

Edit: According to my dictionary, 与え主 (あたえぬし: "Ataenushi") apparently means "Giver". In that case, "Giver of Names" ought to be "名前の与え主": "Namae no Ataenushi".

Edit 2: If you want something truly authentic, though, you may have to go and pester Kasanip about it, or at least ask someone who's not me.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-06-26 at 09:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Halfling in the Playground

Nothingclever, you are my hero. I was just thinking about how I would never be able to remember where I posted the write-up. .-.

Frozen_feet, NC actually quoted the response to your original comment about that. I'll have a revised up in my character page later today.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Please do not link, post or otherwise copy the Legend of the Thunder Sage.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2011-04-05 at 07:00 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post
    Nothingclever, you are my hero. I was just thinking about how I would never be able to remember where I posted the write-up. .-.

Frozen_feet, NC actually quoted the response to your original comment about that. I'll have a revised up in my character page later today.
    D'awwwwwww. It's a pleasure to be of service old bean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
    Everyone, just a note: he's on his Old Bean phase. He calls everyone that. And I do mean everyone.
    You can be an old crumpet or egg instead. It's not a phase, I've been doing this for years.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2010-06-26 at 10:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546

Everyone, just a note: he's on his Old Bean phase. He calls everyone that. And I do mean everyone.
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    The closest word I could find for "Immortal" seems to be 神僊 (しんせん: "Shinsen"). It means anything from "Immortal Taoist mountain wizard" to "Taoist immortal" to "Supernatural being". Alternatively, and I'm really only speculating here, you could try 不滅人 (ふめつじん: "Fumetsujin"--"Fumetsu" = unbreakable, eternal, immortal, while "Jin" = person). 剣 (けん: "Ken") ought to work for sword, though AFAIK it should probably be pronounced つるぎ ("Tsurugi").

Thus, Blade of the Immortal should = 神僊の剣 or 不滅人の剣: "Shinsen no Tsurugi" or "Fumetsujin no Tsurugi". Or something like that. (I'm starting to get the impression that Japanese doesn't really have a term for the concept of an Immortal the way we do, or if it does, it seems to be an obscure word. Or, the Japanese term for the English concept of an Immortal might be a loanword.)

I'll need to do further research for Giver of Names, though. Give me a sec...

Edit: According to my dictionary, 与え主 (あたえぬし: "Ataenushi") apparently means "Giver". In that case, "Giver of Names" ought to be "名前の与え主": "Namae no Ataenushi".

Edit 2: If you want something truly authentic, though, you may have to go and pester Kasanip about it, or at least ask someone who's not me.
    Hey, you don't need to break your back over this. Appreciate your help, though. I have a feeling that "Fumetsujin" alone would be a sufficient zanpakuto name, as there are at least a dozen meanings for or ways to write "Jin", and if Kasanip is to believed, one of those is "blade". So, depending on the symbols used, Fumetsujin could be "Immortal Man", "Unbreakable Virtue", "Undying Benevolence" and what have you. (Crazy, crazy languange.)

I don't trust online translator very much, but a quick double check would indicate "Namae no Ataenushi" is roughly correct. I think it could be missing the plural, but I don't know enough of Japanese to tell myself.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

I don't trust online translator very much, but a quick double check would indicate "Namae no Ataenushi" is roughly correct. I think it could be missing the plural, but I don't know enough of Japanese to tell myself.
    I'm pretty sure Japanese doesn't have plurals in the strict sense. There's things like the "-tachi" honorific though, which basically means "and company".

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a rough idea of Fumetsujin's ability. It's a perma-release sword, with the ability to heal its owner as long as its blade is (relatively) intact, and its owner can fix it in turn as long as his body is intact. I do this first, because "instant regeneration" is quite iconically a Hollow ability, and I want to know what'd you think of giving it to a Shinigami.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, you don't need to break your back over this. Appreciate your help, though. I have a feeling that "Fumetsujin" alone would be a sufficient zanpakuto name, as there are at least a dozen meanings for or ways to write "Jin", and if Kasanip is to believed, one of those is "blade". So, depending on the symbols used, Fumetsujin could be "Immortal Man", "Unbreakable Virtue", "Undying Benevolence" and what have you. (Crazy, crazy languange.)
    No, no, no. Crazy writing system.

I could go on a good long rant on how much the modern Japanese writing system frustrates me, but for the sake of Kasanip, Japan, and everyone else who likes the Kanji/Katakana/Hiragana system, I shall decline.

(FYI, the "Jin" character in question is 刃. Thus, the full Kanji writing of Blade of the Immortal could be 不滅刃, pronounced "Fumetsujin".)

I think it could be missing the plural, but I don't know enough of Japanese to tell myself.
    Prime is correct: Japanese doesn't really have plurals the way English does, aside from the -tachi suffix used to pluralize certain pronouns (Watashi = a way to say "I", Watashi-tachi = a way to say "We", etc.)

Most other nouns aren't really pluralized the way they are in English. For example:

Kyou, hanbaaga wo tsukurimasu. "Today, (I) will cook/make a hamburger."

Kyou = Today
    Hanbaaga = Japanese loanword for "Hamburger"
    Tsukurimasu = non-past (so present or future tense), polite form of the verb "to cook", tsukuru (so it means "will cook", in this case)
    Wo = Direct object particle, signifiying that "hanbaaga" is the thing that was cooked.

In this case, "Hamburger" is singular in English: I will make only 1 hamburger.

Compare to...

Kyou, hanbaaga wo takusan tabemasu. "Today, (I) will eat lots of hamburgers."

Takusan = roughly, "lots"
    Tabemasu = past, polite form of the verb "to eat", taberu (so it means "will eat", in this case)

In this case, "Hamburger" is plural in English: I will eat lots of hamburgers.

However, note that in both sentences, "hanbaaga" remains "hanbaaga"; despite it being singular in one sentence and plural in another, the word "hanbaaga" itself is not modified to denote that it's being used as a plural.

AFAIK, in Japanese plurals are figured out by the listener via context.

Edit: I hate the forum word filter. I really, really do. *Edits above Japanese sentences*

Here's a rough idea of Fumetsujin's ability. It's a perma-release sword, with the ability to heal its owner as long as its blade is (relatively) intact, and its owner can fix it in turn as long as his body is intact. I do this first, because "instant regeneration" is quite iconically a Hollow ability, and I want to know what'd you think of giving it to a Shinigami.
    Well, it's not an ability that many Shinigami have, and I always appreciate novelty and uniqueness.

(If you want, you could drop hints about Fumetsujin's wielder having Hollow connections or somesuch, since, indeed, fast regeneration is typically a Hollow thing. )
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-06-26 at 12:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The high-speed regen release is pretty much what Ude's sword does. In fact, it's exactly what it does.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    The high-speed regen release is pretty much what Ude's sword does. In fact, it's exactly what it does.
    Indeed it is. I only remembered Ude's Shikai, which amplifies his healing skill and allows him to tag along with speedsters. I had forgotten about his Bankai.

Of course, there are rather stark differences between the mechanics of the two abilities. So the question still stands: is rapid regeneration acceptable as a Shikai ability? What about walking around with a fractured spine or severed head?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Indeed it is. I only remembered Ude's Shikai, which amplifies his healing skill and allows him to tag along with speedsters. I had forgotten about his Bankai.

Of course, there are rather stark differences between the mechanics of the two abilities. So the question still stands: is rapid regeneration acceptable as a Shikai ability?
    Uh....Hrm.
    What about walking around with a fractured spine or severed head?
    Uh, no. Not even Mimecar, the canon character with likely the best regeneration (barringgod-mode Aizen) could survive that. In his Segunda Etapa.

My answer to that as a Shikai ability is "Hell No".

I'm also unsure on regen in general. The thing is that Ude's is more zanpakutou-ish...because it uses Kido Healing to accomplish this.

An innate physiological ability to regenerate....I'm not sure. It feels like too much of a base departure from zanpakutou. We've been trying to stick pretty strongly to the "Shinigami zanpakutou give you tools, Arrancar zanpakutou change your body". This feels like it crosses/blurs that line too strongly.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2010-06-26 at 12:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

Well written and done Innis. Good job!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dear god Innis. I've only just finished reading the first part. Where do you get the time for this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh dear, Edward is so punny it ain't even funny anymore.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

The real puns are yet to come. I just need Katarina to ask him why he wants to comb her hair.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2010-06-26 at 01:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Well written and done Innis. Good job!
    Thank you

Dear god Innis. I've only just finished reading the first part. Where do you get the time for this?
    4 AM, when I'm not dreaming of you.
    My Current Works

19. - Top - End - #559

If you imagine it, if Katarina was a cartoon, there would be little black horse ears flattening back against her head horse-style.
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Laying it on a little thick with Takeshi there, aren't you, Innis?

Also, Frozen. Wondering what your reply is to my reply about the regenerating zanpakutou.

21. - Top - End - #561

Laying it on a little thick with Takeshi there, aren't you, Innis?
    In what regard? The dramatic statement that the outer area's of the Rukongai hate Soul Society...which I thought was standard fair. Or what Takeshi plans on doing? Because...that would be the point
    My Current Works

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

How much proof is there that that hate is all-pervasive?

Putting aside the fact that all the talk of "we eat better here than in the Rukongi" is pointless, since most of the people out there don't need to eat...

The Central 46 would kind of be right to be nervous. Depending on how you look at it, Takeshi may appear to be raising an army. Add to that all his talk of radically changing everything...

EDIT: And considering what Takeshi has done, and is about to do as a "prank" on Sayuri, she has every right to be displeased with him.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2010-06-26 at 01:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Putting aside the fact that all the talk of "we eat better here than in the Rukongi" is pointless, since most of the people out there don't need to eat...
    I feel very silly now, for the whole "Shinji, Ikimi, and Yoshi Go Out to Lunch" skit.

24. - Top - End - #564

Well, I didn't think we'd be changing that element. Also the presence of the massive Rukongai gangs would also speak that its a fairly lawless area. Most don't need to eat, thats correct. But it was more a statement that Takeshi and Sayuri could afford to waste money, when people in the outer disctricts almost never see it.

And it very well could look like that. But it could also look like he's giving them money for an honest days work. So, take that as you will. They could be nervous, but since he's only trying to make sure the work force isn't robbed and paid their do wages...it would all be on the up and up if they did even a small investigation. Which I would assume they would do.

And considering what Takeshi has done, and is about to do as a "prank" on Sayuri, she has every right to be displeased with him.
    He's aware of that. Its called mock emotion. Also, what he's "Planning to do" was all a stunt to scare her and tease her. This is all being planned with FF. We're aware of what we're doing
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2010-06-26 at 01:18 PM.
    My Current Works

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

How much proof is there that that hate is all-pervasive?
    Well considering it's usually par for the course that the farther a district is from the Seireitei the more lawless it is, I would say there's a fair bit. First there'd be those that resent that the shinigami don't enforce the laws there as strongly as they could (which isn't even their job). Next there's those who are there because they ARE criminals/resent authority/hermits who just want to be left alone. Then there's who just plain don't like the shinigami. Finally there's those who've probably never heard of shinigami in the first, either because they appeared in those deep districts or were born there and never got a chance to move up.

So...yeah. I would say it's not unreasonable that hate of shinigami is the pervasive feeling towards them in the later districts with the softer side being 'uncaring or unknowing of them' with a very small minority of 'likes shinigami'.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just to chime in, an "army" of powerless souls would really be something of a joke. All it takes is for a single Shinigami seated officer to wave their magical beatdown wand in order to send them all into the next life.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    I feel very silly now, for the whole "Shinji, Ikimi, and Yoshi Go Out to Lunch" skit.
    Well. First, I said "most". Second, I said "need". And considering that Shinigami do need to eat, it makes sense there would be eating establishments.

Innis, you and FF may have things "planned out", but there may still be more fallout than expected from sending a falsified bill to Sayuri for that whole project (which will likely be a very large bill). Not that Takeshi seems the type to care.

As for the army bit...well, between making golem soldiers, and training those workers in combat techniques (though I suppose that is more dependent on what techniques, level of techniques, etc. they're taught), concern is understandable.

Also, I hope you don't get too caught up in rhetoric wherein you imply (subtly or no) that Takeshi is the only one who cares about the Rukon. Whether or not it's your intent, some of his earlier comments definitely leaned that way. Horngeek has already stated the Hayashi family works with the civilians in the Rukongi, and it's likely at least some other families, individuals, and groups do so. So yes, he can be the Proud Crusader for the Poor People, but let's remember he's not the Only Decent Person Who Cares or anything.

28. - Top - End - #568

The fallout's already been discussed, somewhat

@The Army: They're still powerless souls. No matter how good the training is, its not going to matter. For the Terra Cotta Soldiers, well the 12th is allowed to experiment as much as they'd like, and no one's claiming their trying to amass an army of modsouls or anything, so I think the addition of defense for a newly structured Kido Corp isn't going to ruffle feathers to much.

Also, Takeshi is speaking personally, and saying "Soul Society dosn't care" dosn't mean that no one cares. It means that the majority (not including the Hayashi family, etc) does not care. And its clear they don't given how lawless and poverty striken is. So he's not saying he's the only one who cares, he's just saying he does care.
    My Current Works

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

...Innis, you realize Takeshi is ignoring a gigantic problem in the form of the Nobility, don't you? This would utterly upset the social structure, something those who approve of the status quo are probably going to be very unhappy with.

(With the caveat that the Hayashi's will probably support it, since Horn has made them of sweetness and light. )

Also, massive injections of capital and goods into relatively lawless areas never ever devolves into massive civil war and infighting. No sirree.

30. - Top - End - #570

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    ...Innis, you realize Takeshi is ignoring a gigantic problem in the form of the Nobility, don't you? This would utterly upset the social structure, something those who approve of the status quo are probably going to be very unhappy with.

Also, massive injections of capital and goods into relatively lawless areas never ever devolves into massive civil war and infighting. No sirree.
    No, I don't realize it. Its exactly what he's planning on doing.
    My Current Works