New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default GitP/ChHa Server Thread IV: For Science. You Monster.

GitP/ChHa TF2 Server IV: For Science. You Monster.

In this thread, we discuss Team Fortress 2, arrange evenings of gaming, and plan our weekly semi-competitive 6v6 matches.

The IP for the Giant in the Playground/Chocolate Hammer TF2 sever is: 68.232.183.52:27015

• Featuring semi-regular Friday/Saturday friendly competitive matches: talk to drolkcal if interested, or just watch this thread.
    • Taking suggestions for add-ons: talk to Djinn_in_Tonic if you have suggestions.
    • Taking suggestions for maps: talk to potatocubed if you have suggestions.
    • Taking donations via Paypal at [email protected] or contribute at ClanPay

Admins
    Djinn_in_Tonic
    Dispozition
    drolkcal
    Faulty
    Onasuma
    Phase
    potatocubed
    Rutskarn

Giants (Moderators)
    Blackfox
    Darth Mario
    Fawkes
    Jibar
    KBF
    NeoVid
    Nano
    Volatar
    Watsyurname529
    Wojonator
    And many more that need to be listed...

Various Map pack links for the custom maps on the server.

http://www.filefront.com/16909037/chhanewmaps.zip

If you need all the custom maps, download from this link:

http://www.filefront.com/16912709/chhacustommaps.zip

Extract to tf2/maps directory so you can play when the server switches to these maps.

Now with a second server, under the evil reign of Drolkcal and Dr Girlfriend. It's password protected and the regular password is "chha". Don't join if the server is hosting a competitive match

More Info:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    THE SHaFT? You want to know about The SHaFT?

Kid. The SHaFT is... it's kinda like... some sort of...

Well, it's Drolk's and Doc's little secret hideout/love nest where they insidiously/lovingly plan out cunning ways to kill/love all of the regular GiTP/ChHa community members.

In The SHaFT, they will run a long gauntlet of perilous tests, each cunningly disguised as a game against/with them. This involves many, many uses of ████████████ for so long, that the screaming will ring in your ears, as well as application of various ████████████, some of which have not been cleared for general human consumption. Some people speculate that The SHaFT is actually █████████████████, also commonly known as Android Hell.

In the greater scheme of things, The SHaFT is also where the weak are weeded out from the strong for use in some sort of world-wide fight syndicate. Both Drolkcal and Dr Girlfriend will often subject potential candidates to gladitorial combat against predetermined teams to see how effectively they perform under stressful conditions. Their techniques are so secretive that the entire server is locked down while in use for this testing that normal passcodes do not work, as they begin ████████████ ██████████, whereupon the remaining survivors are forced to ███████████ ████████████. Their personal fight team go under the moniker, Sea Slug Team, presumably because they have been ███████████████.

We can only speculate about the rest of these gory details.

With Killing Floor!

Admins:
    Mtg_Player_Zach
    Dr. Girlfriend

And Left 4 Dead 2!

Last edited by watsyurname529; 2010-06-30 at 04:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: GitP/ChHa Server Thread IV: For Science. You Monster.

C-c-c-c-
    ...Cross-post!
    Spy 1: Of course,
    Spy 2: Gentlemen.
    Spy 3: What did they expect?
    Spies 1/2/3: Just lay your weapons down and walk away.

Scout: Pyro! Medic! Help!
    Heavy: IZ NOT POSSIBLE.
    Even worse: When those are five out of the six guys on the server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Add me to the list of Moderators.

Or wait... am I an admin? How do you tell?
    Last edited by Volatar; 2010-06-29 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Add me to the list of Moderators.

Or wait... am I an admin? How do you tell?
    I have no idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice new thread.

I was bored and earlier people on the server were wondering where they could get easy access to the new maps on rotation, so I compiled them into a zip file and uploaded it. This should help everyone who can't download from the server since the download time is pretty slow.

http://www.filefront.com/16909037/chhanewmaps.zip

If you need all the custom maps, download from this link:

http://www.filefront.com/16912709/chhacustommaps.zip

Extract to tf2/maps directory so you can play when the server switches to these maps.

EDIT:
    Added a second link that has all the custom maps that are run on the server.
    Last edited by surikesu; 2010-06-29 at 11:43 PM.
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I noticed on the previous thread that Valaqil had seen my over 150 hours played and I did a good amount of it on 32 man servers (which taught me my dodging skillz) but I should have mentioned: I like to be REALLY good at stuff I do. I mean like, 1337 uber pwnage lvl. If you can strafe-aim like a good Scout is supposed to, you're already on the right track. However, it is a skill that is hard to get used to, I think. But, I mean, if you just want to have fun, learn how to dodge and pester people with Scattergun. I've had a fair amount of times where I didn't kill anyone but I annoyed 3 or more people (including Medics) all at once and that keeps them from the front line. Now, one man not killing versus three who aren't...how is that NOT helping your team? :P
    "I believe that pickles are cucumbers that sold out....they sold their soul to the devil, and the devil was dill. ~Mitch Hedberg
    Special Guest keeps making me think that it is some uber-pro who eats crockets and fires rainbows.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SHaFT's password is chha. Unless we're doing comp practice or holding a game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

watsyurname529, I think it would be a good idea if you added one or both of those map download links so they are in a convenient place to point at for downloading.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any chance you can put a link to all custom maps on server in this thread, for easy DL'ing?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    watsyurname529, I think it would be a good idea if you added one or both of those map download links so they are in a convenient place to point at for downloading.
    I'll put them up in the front post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I'm going to lay off spy for a while.

Having 3 spies rampaging the server daily together only causes each spy to receive less points, the server population to constantly check their backs, and even irritation from some members(AlterForm, Sciurus).

If I do play DR spy, it'll be sparsely.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post

Having 3 spies rampaging the server daily together only causes each spy to receive less points, the server population to constantly check their backs, and even irritation from some members(AlterForm, Sciurus).

Thank you, Treayn. I'm sure playing spy is fun for you (winning = fun, after all), so on behalf of the server population at large, thanks for making the server a funner place to be.

Feel free to kick our asses with any of the other 8 classes.

13. - Top - End - #13

Don't stop playing a class on our behalf, play what you want to have fun. Do what you want. If they are having issues they can adapt somehow.
    Just my opinion. If we start getting pissed at people who kill us all the time and discourage them from playing what they want to play we are doing something wrong.

Edit: I'd like to see some tips on DR use, cause at the moment I don't see any big reason to use it over the invisiwatch.
    Last edited by Mtg_player_zach; 2010-06-29 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    That's the kind of beard that says, "I'm rugged enough not to shave, but have good enough genetics/grooming habits that I can not consequentially look like a mountain rapist."
    Pokemon available/breedable (5iv):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a big list, ask me. All pokemon will be perfect 5iv unless noted otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3ds Code: 1590-5500-0148

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Nah, it's just that the Dead Ringer's becoming predictable, and the spy class is losing it's charm for me.

Every time a spy dies on the server, it's "Dead ringer spy, watch out"
    The uncloaking "bzzt" sound is starting to grate

Stuff like that.

Also, I should probably take the time out to master... Demoman, that's right Demoman.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nah, it's just that the Dead Ringer's becoming predictable, and the spy class is losing it's charm for me.

Every time a spy dies on the server, it's "Dead ringer spy, watch out"
    The uncloaking "bzzt" sound is starting to grate

Stuff like that.

Also, I should probably take the time out to master... Demoman, that's right Demoman.
    That means I'm the only constant spy user left...

...Except I wasn't one before I got to this server =P I only became one when I changed my name to Roku666. Ah well, I won't do as much spy either. It hasn't gotten boring or grating, but I miss my beloved heavy :P

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Even worse: When those are five out of the six guys on the server.

I played a game today on WhaleRace with something like two spies out of four players. That was not fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    ...Blackfox and Raven. They are two fine upstanding ladies aside from their disturbing lack of reloading, Doctor Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Raven gets one free LOL from me. Start collecting LOL's now!
    Also known as Raven, and various derivations thereof.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonarch View Post
    SHaFT's password is chha. Unless we're doing comp practice or holding a game.
    I have never seen anyone in your server. What the heck is it for? I only ask because it would be awesome to prophunt with the GitP crew.
    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Hat View Post
    I have never seen anyone in your server. What the heck is it for? I only ask because it would be awesome to prophunt with the GitP crew.
    It is a special server, for special times of crisis.

Is there a crisis at the moment?

No?

Then we still have a problem.

*Throws Djinn's ragdoll onto table*

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Hat View Post
    Oh, we do use it from time to time for prophunt. But mostly if you want to start a game just join the server and invite some people and have a party.
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Alright, what I'm about to propose may be a bit controversial...

I think we should remove the custom maps from the ChHa server. The server download is crap and voting for a custom map essentially kicks everyone out that hasn't downloaded it yet. In essence, it makes it so that only server regulars, and not even all server regulars, are able to play.

Now, of course, this is slightly remedied by people downloading the map outside of the game, but it still poses a problem when over half of the sever is gone after a map change because a custom map is chosen.

There was an incident the other night in which everyone other than Mario and I were kicked from the server when Whalerace was selected. It was also extremely difficult to rtv out of the map because those who were still connected and downloading the map counted for the total server count for the purposes of an rtv.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Alright, what I'm about to propose may be a bit controversial...

I think we should remove the custom maps from the ChHa server. The server download is crap and voting for a custom map essentially kicks everyone out that hasn't downloaded it yet. In essence, it makes it so that only server regulars, and not even all server regulars, are able to play.

Now, of course, this is slightly remedied by people downloading the map outside of the game, but it still poses a problem when over half of the sever is gone after a map change because a custom map is chosen.

There was an incident the other night in which everyone other than Mario and I were kicked from the server when Whalerace was selected. It was also extremely difficult to rtv out of the map because those who were still connected and downloading the map counted for the total server count for the purposes of an rtv.
    While I understand this request completely, I must disagree.

I have experienced this myself, where I have been playing with a group of none regulars and the next map happens to be Redfort. I don't really think about it because I have played Redfort so many times, but then no one is there anymore. No one joins either, they don't bother downloading the map. It's rather annoying when it's late at night too, and no ChHa regulars are on, and I don't want to stop playing. God forbid I play on a different server, no really, I'd rather play on ChHa by myself than play a different server.

While thinking that it is annoying that it causes everyone to leave, I think that the maps should stay. Redfort is personally one of my favorite maps, so I would hate to see it go. I also know, for a fact, that it is a few others favorite as well.

If we remove custom maps, where are we going to play Bluefort, if and when it is released. I just don't think it's an option that should be considered, much less exercised.

Maybe the custom maps should need to be nominated. <--- That, I believe, is a much better idea, rather than straight up removing them from the list. (This is me, assuming that it is possibly, having no knowledge of how managing the server's map list is done.)

22. - Top - End - #22

We do have Drol and Girlfriend's server for server regulars if we want to keep the maps around.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The custom maps stay.

I'm aware that there's a problem with downloading them, but what I'm thinking of doing is upgrading the server account (which will cost, like, an extra $5 a month or something) to allow faster downloads. It's on my to-do list but right now so are many, many other things.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    The custom maps stay.
    The potato has spoken, then.

You da boss, mang.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The custom maps stay.
    HOORAY! I LOVE WHALERACE!

I'm aware that there's a problem with downloading them, but what I'm thinking of doing is upgrading the server account (which will cost, like, an extra $5 a month or something) to allow faster downloads. It's on my to-do list but right now so are many, many other things.
    Would putting a link in the intro scene where people can download the custom maps work? I know when I hit one I haven't downloaded yet, I tend to quit so that others have a chance to play on the server and download it from one of the links I find here, then rejoin when I can. (Auto-Join is amazing.)
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2010-06-30 at 09:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Damn, I thought redfort might actually die the death it deserves and it wasn't suggested by me. Oh well, guess I'll just go melee sniper every time that boring map comes on.
    "I believe that pickles are cucumbers that sold out....they sold their soul to the devil, and the devil was dill. ~Mitch Hedberg
    Special Guest keeps making me think that it is some uber-pro who eats crockets and fires rainbows.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Sleverin View Post
    Damn, I thought redfort might actually die the death it deserves and it wasn't suggested by me. Oh well, guess I'll just go melee sniper every time that boring map comes on.
    Never, ever say that again, or so help me, I will make your moments on that map so unbearable that even Dogmantra will object to my tactics. I will Spycrab you to death and force you to play Civillian against Razorback Snipers.

On a more serious note, I like the custom maps. Most servers run customs and ChHa is well known for its wide variety of maps. Otherwise you're just running another plain old 24/7 server.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

..I just want to get Blufort up and running.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    EDIT: Gracias. Also, Djinn, what's your name on TF2? I don't remember seeing anyone by that name runing around Chocolate Hammer, and I've been playing pretty regularly for a few weeks.
    Cunningly, my name is The Djinn. Tricky, ain't it?

My Steam name is djinn_in_tonic, and friending that might be a good idea, as I'm Admin-in-Chief, and, if you have a big server problem, I'm the guy to call.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-06-30 at 11:15 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

..I just want to get Blufort up and running.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I've been busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    BE RIGHT BACK BUILDING IMPOSTER A SHRINE.
    Names I own:
    Spoiler
    Show

Darth Mario
    Phase
    Kainozzo(Pending litigation)