New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121

Default Re: Lix Lorn and Strawberries IC

The elder bows and bids Laen and Kitra goodnight, as does Grith. The two step outside to find three orcs standing outside waiting. The tallest is the father, over a foot taller than Laen. He is wearing rather simple clothes, a shirt and pants. The next tallest is the mother, only roughly a half foot taller than Laen and wearing a dress that, while simple, manages to carry some air of elegance. The smallest is the child who had been running circle around his parents laughing and having a fun time, not much taller than four feet. He's not wearing a shirt and his pants are dirty, likely from playing with his friends earlier in the day. The father steps forward and bows to the two. As he bows, he speaks in a slow and rough common. "Greeting. Is nice meeting you. My calling is Crignor, this is wife Salnik, and child Deblin. Elder Griknik tell to me that you need residence for night, and also a dining? What are your callings?"

((Writing Crignor might not be that easy. I'm trying to not fall into two stereotypes here: Orcs can't speak properly and anyone who doesn't speak a language completely fluently fails at it miserably. So I'm trying to make it obvious he's not completely fluent in Common without making him sound stupid, and making sure you can understand him too. I think I'm doing a manageable time, but this is the first time he's spoken so yeah.))
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"Greetings." replied Laen, bowing in return. "My...calling is Laen. This is Kitra." he said, motioning to her.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #123

"I hope you will having good time with us, even if short." Crignor smiles at the two. "Sure you have noticed, but my Common is not excellent. If I say something very wrongly, do not be afraid correcting me, it is only way I will learn!" Salnik speaks and Crignor turns to listen, before turning back to Laen and Kitra. "Salnik wishes knowing if you have preferences for dining?"
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Laen nodded, and then turned to Kitra. She was more likely to know the courtesy.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, the girl grew up in a brothel. Proper etiquette isn't her forte, you know. Well, Laen doesn't, I suppose (still looking forward to that conversation ).
    BTW, Fiddler, I think you're doing a good job with Crignor's voice (I'm not the most qualified to judge, but i like it. )

Kitra waves her hand. "Whatever your wife feels like cooking will be fine. Thank her for us, okay?" she replies "And if she needs help with anything, we can lend a hand in the kitchen". she adds I can, at least she thinks to herself Not really sure about the paladin.

Then she smiles at the child and adds, in goblin "[And hello, there, honey. Is Deblin, right? Didn't I see you earlier when I and Laen arrived?]"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm taking a guess, since you mentioned children were staring at us, earlier
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-08-23 at 03:28 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Laen gave a nod of agreement. He could help, if necessary. A bit.

7. - Top - End - #127

The kid looks up at Kitra and nods furiously at her question. ["Yeah, I saw you and your friend come in earlier today I think you're the first human I've seen even unless maybe when I was a baby but I can't remember back then very well but you and your friend look really impressive with your armor and weapons and you're pretty!"] The kid speaks quickly and without resting, until he's finished his rambling, run-on thought. His father chuckles lightly before speaking.

"Is Deblin saying kind things? Sometimes I wish he would not speaking Goblin as much, because I cannot understand him when he does!" This question seems to be rhetorical, however, and he turns to his wife to give her Kitra's thanks. "Salnik say is none problems, and you are our guests tonight, so should be relaxing, not helping!"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Laen gave a deep nod.
    "Thank you." he said.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitra smiles to the child. "[Why, thank you]" she says, chuckling. Then she nods together with Laen "Thanks, Deblin." she adds in common, waiting for him to lead on.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #130

With the introductions out of the way, Crignor and Salnik motion for the two to follow them and start leading you through the village. As it's getting late, most people are in their homes at this point, though there are still a few people out, and the kids still look amazed at Kitra and Laen. One of the kids even shouts to Deblin, who answers back proudly, though both speak in orcish. His parents laugh at his response. "Ah, to have childhood again..." Eventually, you arrive at the families house, and Salnik motions for you to enter. Going inside, it's a small house. There seem to be two rooms, and the main room is relatively empty aside from a table and a few chairs, as well as a spear and axe. "I am huntsman for community, and Salnik is woodshaper," Crignor explains.

"Make yourselves being home! From what small amounts I know, our home is a bit different from city living, so it may not have everything you want. If there is something you need, please be feeling free to ask, and I will see if we can find it for you. Dinner should be finishing in a few minutes, until then, please be relaxing!" Crignor bows as he and his wife leave for the next room. From the room you can smell meat being cooked. As soon as his parents leave, Deblin turns to you two.

["So what's life like in the city is it amazing and fancy and do you have wine every night and does everyone have a different pair of clothes for every day and time of day and weather?"]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitra laughs bitterly "[Yeah, and every day the rulers throw us a big party with flowers, and food and dances. That's really a wonderful place to live in[]" then she realizes a child this young may be unable to detect sarcasm, and amends in a hurry "[No, listen to me, honey. I was joking, the city is nothing like that. Only rich people have that, and you don't want to meet them, believe me. Stay away from it, okay? Your village is far better.]"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Laen sighed. ["She's right. For some people, very few, it's wonderful there, but for most people it's not good at all. Like Kitra said, you're likely best off staying here."]

13. - Top - End - #133

["Oh, okay, that's what father said but all of my friends disagreed with him so I thought that it was possible he was just wrong so I was wondering! So what do you do for fun you're adults so you probably don't play games with your friends because that's 'childish' but everybody has some sort of fun so what do you for it?"]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitra laughs. She definitely likes children. Then, pointing at Laen "[Well, he hunts down and catches the bad people]" she says, grinning "[That's what he does for fun. Me, I make fun of him]" she says, fondly.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-08-29 at 02:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

["That's what I do as my duty."] He corrected, looking at Kitra with some mixture of exasperation and amusement. ["I like to draw, but I profess I'm not good at it."]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitra turns to look at him: "Do you? I didn't know that.", then, again to the child ["Well, I can't draw a line straight, but I like to sing, sometimes."] As soon as she says this, she realizes all the songs she knows are...less than appropriate for children. I really hope he doesn't ask for a performance. she thinks.

17. - Top - End - #137

["Ooh, maybe before we go to sleep I could teach you a song that everybody around here knows if you don't mind that! I like singing, even though I don't think I'm very good at -"] At this point, Deblin's parents return with a healthy helping of food, a large ham and some assorted fruits and vegetables, as well as a fairly large loaf of bread and two different types of cheeses. They set the table quickly, and motion for you to sit.

"I hope you like the dining... usually we do not have this much food, but when the others heard of your good doings, they simply wished to be thanking in any way possible!"

((I'll admit, I'm not a very good food person. Just imagine that there's a lot of really good, appetizing food there.))

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

"[I'd be happy to learn it, honey. And I'm not that good myself.]" Kitra replies with a smile. So at least, if someone asks, I'd have something to sing that doesn't immediatly peg me as a slums-dweller. Not that she minds being pegged as one (and people who have a problem with what she is can, frankly, go to hell), but sometimes it helps to keep some of one's cards hidden.

When the parents return, she sits at the table, next to Laen. "That wasn't necessary, but thank them all the same." she says, helping herself to some of the food. She waits for the hosts to give sign to eat, however.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Laen smiled.
    "It looks delicious." he said. "Thank you."

He took some of the food, tending towards the extremes-either extravagant foods, or eminently simple ones. Like Kitra, he waited for them to start.

20. - Top - End - #140

Crignor and Salnik both bow their heads and start muttering in orcish. Deblin however, goes to start eating, but stops when he notices Laen and Kitra not eating. ["You can start eating unless you want to pray with mom and dad to the Great Ancestor but you probably don't worship him that's okay I don't either."]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Laen nodded.
    ["Thank you, Deblin."] he said. ["I shall pray to my deity after dinner, if that is all right."]

Spoiler
    Show
    ...we know his name, right?

He smiled slightly, and started eating.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Crignor introduced him to us.

Nodding and smiling, Kitra starts to eat as well
    ["You kinda remind of me when I was a child "] she says, quite fondly ["Who do you worship, then? Or are you like me, praying to noone at all?"]

23. - Top - End - #143

["Oh I don't worship any gods right now and mom supports my decision she thinks I'm too young to get involved in something so big and I don't mind waiting until I'm a bit older. Most people in the village worship the Great Ancestor but there are a few that don't worship anybody and a few that worship other gods but I don't know all of those gods because there's a lot, especially when you count the ones outside of the village!" At this point, Deblin starts eating as well, and his parents finish praying and begin a minute or two later. Deblin sticks mostly to the ham and bread, but at one point his mothers speaks to him in orcish and he begrudgingly takes some fruit.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitra laughs heartly, sneaking a glance at Laen to see how he is taking this ["Well said, my little atheist"] she says, still snorting in amusement. Then she addresses Crignor "My compliments to your wife. Everything is really good" And really more than she is used to eating, but they don't need to know that.

25. - Top - End - #145

"Ah, thank you! When Elder said you would be staying with us, we decided to be working hard on this dinner, to make you feel welcomed." Crignor turns to his wife and translates, and she smiles widely at Kitra.

26. - Top - End - #146

Eventually, dinner comes to an end. Deblin teaches Laen and Kitra an orcish song often sung by children, which he says is about a hero from long long ago fighting a dragon. As night starts creeping in and it gets later and later, Crignor and Salnik bring out two mats and explain that everyone sleeps on these mats in the village. They also give the pair two hand-made blankets, because it is supposed to be a fairly chilly night, and Crignor mentions that they can keep them if they want, as a gift from the village. And everyone falls asleep as the day ends...

After a wonderfully refreshing night of rest, Laen and Kitra wake up to find breakfast already on the table, with the family just about to sit down. "Ah, you are waking! If you want, it is time for breakfast! We thought of wake you up, but we didn't want to interrupt any nice dreamings you might have had!" Crignor ends this with a bit of a laugh, but he motions to the spare chairs at the table anyway.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Laen gave an appreciative smile, before standing up and headed for the table.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitra whistles under her breath "Wow. Service's better of some of the posh places in the upper quarters" she mutters to herself. "Thank you" she says aloud "For the blankets too" she sits next to Laen and grabs something to eat "We should head to your elder soon" she continues "And then we'll probably take our leave. Thanks for your ospitality" she finishes with a bit of a smile.

29. - Top - End - #149

Breakfast goes by quickly, and almost as soon as it began the family sens you off with a smile and a kind farewell, as well as an invitation to come around if you're ever in the area again. Eventually, you two go to see the elder and healer. The elder is standing outside, and up against the wall of the building, a longbow is propped, along with leather armor. "[Ah, I trust you two had a nice night, and a wonderful rest? The healer says the girl should be up within the hour, and once she is, we can go to see her family. Before that, though...]" The elder turns and takes the bow and the leather, before turning back and bowing to you two, holding the leather armor out to Kitra and the bow out to Laen, "[...I would like to present you with these gifts in the name of the Great Ancestor.]"

((Three guesses as to what the bow and armor are? ))

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

"[...thank you.]" said Laen, bowing deeply and taking the bow reverentially.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mageek?