New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn: OOC Thread 10

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    I think you can see why I view it this way.
    ... and just to add something I forgot, I think you also see why it is not a gamebreaker in any case. Perfectly opposite. If you're much stronger than enemy, you're most likely better overpowering them - if you're weaker, chances are you can't use Hanki anyway.

A hypothetical example would be Hannibal Magalhães and Sato Hachirou fighting. Sure, Hachirou could use Hanki against Hannibal. He might be bemused by the first try, then snort and laugh at the second... and finally punch through the third, as he's much stronger than the hapless 13th seat.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

My nefarious plan shall now be told. Sereg's going to tell Genoveva that he's releasing his slaves into the arena. He will then bet that "One of his people will be alive at the end of this." She will of course have Tark kill all of them, but the wording is vague, so Sereg will win by default, counting Voz and Landa as his people. The terms of the bet? If Genoveva wins he will keep his scars as a sign of humility and apologise for earlier in the day in front of the other Espada. If Sereg wins, she will apologise for her action earlier in the day and admit defeat. MUAHAHAHAHA
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

...that might actually work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    ...that might actually work.
    Yes, my master plan is all a clever way to... Publicly humiliate the primera.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Language is not just about the words one uses, but the context and implications it has.

Therefore, to make use of wording in such a way is not cleverness. Instead, it is simply lying. Or maybe cheating or ignorance.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-07-08 at 04:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Language is not just about the words one uses, but the context and implications it has.

Therefore, to make use of wording in such a way is not cleverness. Instead, it is simply lying.
    No, it's stretching the truth within acceptable parameters. You know as well as I do Genoveva has done it. She made the terms of the match vague, so I'll make the terms of the bet just as vague. She also did the same thing to Pico. It's just a simple way to get what Sereg wants. Genoveva to be humiliated by her own conceitedness. She would never expect herself to lose a bet like that.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Therefore, to make use of wording in such a way is not cleverness. Instead, it is simply lying. Or maybe cheating or ignorance.
    I dunno...trickster genies do this sort of thing all the time. 1 million pieces of gold, you ask? Well, you never specified the size of each piece. You want immortality? Too bad you forgot to ask for eternal youth along with it!

If Genoveva's not careful with her words, she could end up screwing herself over. Of course, the same warning applies to Sereg: he never specified when or where she is to apologize.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-07-08 at 04:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    No, it's stretching the truth within acceptable parameters. You know as well as I do Genoveva has done it. She made the terms of the match vague, so I'll make the terms of the bet just as vague. She also did the same thing to Pico. It's just a simple way to get what Sereg wants. Genoveva to be humiliated by her own conceitedness. She would never expect herself to lose a bet like that.
    You assume she'll take the bet as stated. The fact that Genoveva has done this sort of thing means she's going to be more likely to catch on.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    I dunno...trickster genies do this sort of thing all the time. 1 million pieces of gold, you ask? Well, you never specified the size of each piece. You want immortality? Too bad you forgot to ask for eternal youth along with it!

If Genoveva's not careful with her words, she could end up screwing herself over. Of course, the same warning applies to Sereg: he never specified when or where she is to apologize.
    He also hasn't said a word of this to Genoveva. That was just a run down of how it will work. Or not. If she won't bet then I can just call her chicken

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    You assume she'll take the bet as stated. The fact that Genoveva has done this sort of thing means she's going to be more likely to catch on.
    And it'll be hilarious if (when?) she does.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    That's merely a demonstration of my point- trickster genies are working with your words, not anything else. People expect other people to follow more than just their words, for that is the basis of language.
    It is a reasonable expectation, because otherwise you simply never could communicative efficiently at all.
    Therefore, obviously violating these expectations (especially against someone superior to you) is less likely to make you succeed, and more likely to earn a brick to the face.

The terms of the match are vague, meaning there are loopholes to be exploited as not everything is filled in.

Sereg's bet would heavily imply one thing based on the context, which would imbue it with another meaning altogether than the one he is going to try and use against her.

These are not similar situations. One is about lack of rules, the other is about redefining rules.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-07-08 at 04:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

He also hasn't said a word of this to Genoveva. That was just a run down of how it will work. Or not. If she won't bet then I can just call her chicken
    Or, she could say "I will take this bet, but only under these terms". It's not a binary thing.

In other words: stop assuming you're going to outsmart her. She got to where she through both her body and her mind. Keep that fact in your awareness.

More speculation is pointless until this actually happens.

@Edge: First, bah! You keep making Vicente wait longer. Second, hope I didn't rush that. If you want to insert a bit more dialogue, feel free.

@Callos: I don't intend to find Genoveva instantly, but I'd rather not spend 10 posts mindlessly searching around. I'm sure he'll be embarrassed enough just being in a loincloth in front of the Primera and Tercera.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I dunno. Given that Literal Genie is such a big trope, he's not lying, he's just telling the truth... from a certain point of view.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

14. - Top - End - #44

She may not even care enough to worry. She "knows" she's better than us. She thinks herself above the rest. She won't hesitate for a chance to prove that.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

@Edge: First, bah! You keep making Vicente wait longer. Second, hope I didn't rush that. If you want to insert a bit more dialogue, feel free.
    Why of course. Aléjandro can be remarkably petty. And no, it was fine by me.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

@Callos: I don't intend to find Genoveva instantly, but I'd rather not spend 10 posts mindlessly searching around. I'm sure he'll be embarrassed enough just being in a loincloth in front of the Primera and Tercera.
    Or the Octava. I mean, he is going to try that area first, right?

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

"The Legion is baffled as to why this Arrancar appears before us almost nude. 10001 minds, each of them utterly confused."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

...Yeah. This won't end well, I can feel it now. >_>

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excellent." *steeples fingers*

20. - Top - End - #50

Or, she could say "I will take this bet, but only under these terms". It's not a binary thing.

In other words: stop assuming you're going to outsmart her. She got to where she through both her body and her mind. Keep that fact in your awareness.

More speculation is pointless until this actually happens.

If she changes the terms, it's no longer Sereg's bet. He won't have to accept.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

May I demand your attention?

I have a nagging feeling that deleting posts from the registry messes up hyperlinks in the first post. I've yet to do testing on this, but still: Do not delete posts from the registry! It's not running out of space or anything. Just slap [NPC] tag on a character you won't use, or tell me to scratch over their names in the first post.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    -.o

...Blast. I'm working for Mr. Smithers.

If she changes the terms, it's no longer Sereg's bet. He won't have to accept.
    Riccaru. Just drop it. We'll see what happens. Maybe she'll accept, maybe she won't. But stop assuming Sereg is just going to outsmart her, or shame her into action, or anything like that. Seriously, just...stop. Please.

23. - Top - End - #53

I have a nagging feeling that deleting posts from the registry messes up hyperlinks in the first post. I've yet to do testing on this, but still: Do not delete posts from the registry! It's not running out of space or anything. Just slap [NPC] tag on a character you won't use, or tell me to scratch over their names in the first post.
    First. No you can't demand it.

Second, it does mess with the links. That was why Naraku's link went to the wrong post. The post count changes after you delete one and the hyperlinks are based on the post count. The url in the link stays the same, but where it goes changes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, in that case, you can scratch out Andrzej. I dropped him for Roux. I would keep him on, but I have too many characters anyway, and I felt an expy character could take one for my others.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

We could do a quick test. I could make a couple posts in the registry, delete the second, and see what happens.
    No, that won't replicate the phenomena I'm suspecting. Specifically, post numbers change each time a post is deleted; therefore, it's not guaranteed a link post with number 22 will go to right place if post 21 is erased. To properly test this, someone would have to delete a post from middle of the thread, after which I'd have to check all hyperlinks going to a post number higher than that.

In any case, it's easier for me if posts are no longer deleted! It saves me much editing work with the 1st post.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-07-08 at 04:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Mei figures there are two reasons a Fraccion would be wearing stuff like that.

a) he wants to be seen, in which case he's working for the wrong Espada or b) he's being punished, in which case his Espada wants stuff like this to happen.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

...and give her another reason to hurt you. :/

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Mei figures there are two reasons a Fraccion would be wearing stuff like that.

a) he wants to be seen, in which case he's working for the wrong Espada or b) he's being punished, in which case his Espada wants stuff like this to happen.
    "One does not intrude on my privacy without paying for it. Shame him as much as you wish."

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    This time he won't be caught unawares. Anything she could do would heal eventually. OR she'll kill him. Which may be not good for her as well.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that this sort of thing would be funny?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-07-08 at 04:46 PM.