New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIV: Dr. Steamlove (OR:How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Poosh ze C

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    So, might want to watch out.

TF2items, TF2wiki and so forth are similarly infected, by the way.
    Yeep. Thanks for letting us know.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIV: Dr. Steamlove (OR:How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Poosh ze C

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Yeep. Thanks for letting us know.
    Not a problem. Basically, avoid all TF2 fansites and that fps-whatever site for the foreseeable future.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not a problem. Basically, avoid all TF2 fansites and that fps-whatever site for the foreseeable future.
    That same post had a huge update text at the bottom claiming the sites were fixed but I'd still wait a few days before going there.

If someone absolutely has to have a map, I'm sure one of us has it and can email you or give a different download link for you.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I have quite a few customs kicking around my hard drive due to my habit of never deleting anything. (Why hello there, gargantuan external HD.)
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

In order to distract from these horrible website viruses, here's some good news.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

My excitement for Sharktopus cancels out my disappointment at there not being any new Heavy or Medic items.

F**K YEAH SHARKTOPUS

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

The sharktopus is going into a D&D adventure I plan to write, alongside owlbears, molesquid, and the dread eaglewhale.

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    The sharktopus is going into a D&D adventure I plan to write, alongside owlbears, molesquid, and the dread eaglewhale.
    Any duckbunnies?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

There are now. It's working title is "Mommy, Where Do Owlbears Come From?"

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    There are now. It's working title is "Mommy, Where Do Owlbears Come From?"
    Working answer is: "From the slashfic's written on the Steam Threads"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

So an on-topic question:
    Can anyone diagnose or explain the reason for my TF2 crashing? This happens in no other game but TF2. It's been happening for a while, but more frequently of late. I will play for 30-90 mins before everything freezes and sound begins looping in my headset. No waiting helps. The PC must be rebooted.

(1) I'm the only user logged in, with nothing running but TF2. Really, nothing. No Firefox. I even turned off my AV -- ONCE -- to see if that helped.
    (2) I've made exceptions for TF2 in my AV scanner.
    (3) I tuned my video settings down. My FPS wanders from 25 to 50, depending on exactly what's happening. It's playable, no question.
    (4) I even re-installed TF2 today.

I'm lost.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    So an on-topic question:
    Can anyone diagnose or explain the reason for my TF2 crashing? This happens in no other game but TF2. It's been happening for a while, but more frequently of late. I will play for 30-90 mins before everything freezes and sound begins looping in my headset. No waiting helps. The PC must be rebooted.

(1) I'm the only user logged in, with nothing running but TF2. Really, nothing. No Firefox. I even turned off my AV -- ONCE -- to see if that helped.
    (2) I've made exceptions for TF2 in my AV scanner.
    (3) I tuned my video settings down. My FPS wanders from 25 to 50, depending on exactly what's happening. It's playable, no question.
    (4) I even re-installed TF2 today.

I'm lost.
    What Operating system?

13. - Top - End - #253

So THAT'S what happened to my computer. Unfortunately for me, because the computer is a mac with a whole bunch of Boot Camp modifications in Windows, the Rootkit must have attempted to access ROM instead of what it was supposed to so, bluescreening me repeatedly. I'll get a restore on it right away.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mario View Post
    So THAT'S what happened to my computer. Unfortunately for me, because the computer is a mac with a whole bunch of Boot Camp modifications in Windows, the Rootkit must have attempted to access ROM instead of what it was supposed to so, bluescreening me repeatedly. I'll get a restore on it right away.
    Man...good thing I've been to busy to game lately...I've checked out those sites, but that thing is basically harmless to a Mac, and I've only been using the Mac side lately...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #255

So, Djinn, the Spy Polycount hat: Fez. Awesome or really awesome?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's probably a hoax. It's not very easy to just 'embed' a virus on someone's site, especially if it's a wiki or a highly popular website.
    Last edited by dromer; 2010-07-15 at 08:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

FPSBanana is horribly coded, and the admins over there have a "devil-may-care" attitude. They've suffered numerous site infections and trojans throughout the years.

Also, TF2wiki, before being taken over by Valve, were hosted on some crappy provider that essentially spit out adware.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I've had constant warnings from a LOT of people about fpsbanana and their downloads and to always watch out for them. I've only occasionally gone on there, dl'ed one or two things, no problems. But w/e, I've been getting rapped up in guitar practive and trying to get my freaking FF14 beta test to work I haven't really been caring that much recently.
    "I believe that pickles are cucumbers that sold out....they sold their soul to the devil, and the devil was dill. ~Mitch Hedberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    Special Guest keeps making me think that it is some uber-pro who eats crockets and fires rainbows.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Unintentional hilarity towards the end of Bioshock.

Spoiler
    Show
    "You don't look like a Big Daddy...you don't smell like a Big Daddy...and you're certainly not a whale-throated freak like a Big Daddy!"

Also, I had over 1200 Adam left over at the end of the game. Remind me why I need to kill the Little Sisters again? Most of the powerups are superfluous or entirely useless.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-16 at 12:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Kill? Why would you kill them? Saving them is pretty much better in every way except for like 13 ADAM per Sister.

Also, Combat Tonics and Physical Tonics are worth buying the slots for, plus all the health and EVE upgrades.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's like, "Ooh, you're so noble, you're turning down a motherlode of Adam just to save the lives of these children!"

Except, no. Not only is it a pittance less, Adam is grossly overvalued as a currency.

As for Eve upgrades, honestly? Except when it took my weapons away, I never ended up using Plasmids. Guns were enough.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-16 at 12:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post

Also, I had over 1200 Adam left over at the end of the game. Remind me why I need to kill the Little Sisters again? Most of the powerups are superfluous or entirely useless.
    How can you possibly have had that much left? Even skipping all but the most useful Plasmids and Tonics, then there's getting all the HP/Eve upgrades, and the damn slots for the plasmids/tonics... I ended up with only a couple hundred left after getting every Little Sister.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

I found the same as Rutskarn. I was never short on ADAM at any point during the entire game.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

As for Eve upgrades, honestly? Except when it took my weapons away, I never ended up using Plasmids. Guns were enough.
    You cant blame the game for choosing to play it in a boring fashion.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    You cant blame the game for choosing to play it in a boring fashion.
    If the game is going to furnish all of these sparkly tools, they should make them be worth using.

Even the friggin' level 3 bees are like, "Oh, snap, you can irritate a group of enemies gradually to death. Alternately, you can shoot them. With bullets."
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-16 at 02:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

If the game is going to furnish all of these sparkly tools, they should make them be worth using.

Even the friggin' level 3 bees are like, "Oh, snap, you can irritate a group of enemies gradually to death. Alternately, you can shoot them. With bullets."
    But...

BEES!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the major thing we should be asking here is what difficulty were you on? Plasmids have little use on easy where bullets are everywhere and enemies take 3 to kill, more use on medium and are incredibly helpful on hard. Also, they are way way cheaper than using "bullet"

Anyhow, Polycount items - Im really disapointed at the lack of a heavy and medic pack, to be honest, I was hoping for one for every class. Also, they picked the worst soldier pack - viking was way better - and the best sniper pack that doesnt have a rocket powered harpoon gun. Pyro I like, spy I like and the scout was the best of the options

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I played through half/three quarters of the game on Medium, without really bothering to kill Big Daddies or get Plasmids. Ammo wasn't plentiful, but a combination of hacking vending machines and being frugal meant I was rarely short.

Then I changed operating systems, was too lazy to transfer my saves over, and just started a new playthrough on Easy. However, I played it Ironman style--no saving, no reloading, no vitachambers--and thus was a little less inclined to hack the hard stuff, since I'm not great shakes at the minigame and I didn't want to burn through my medkits.

Frankly, I was less inclined to bother with Adam (or ADAM or whatever) on medium because the Big Daddies were annoying to kill on that difficulty.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-16 at 02:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Easy doesn't count for anything in Bioshock. It's... I believe somewhere around 50 pistol bullets to take you down, assuming you don't use first aid.

Also, killing Big Daddies is one of my favourite parts of the game. It's all about location. Follow them around a bit, learn their route, then lure them into an ambush of turrets and security bots. Or, later on, cover them in a giant jar of electirc glop. That works too.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Then I changed operating systems, was too lazy to transfer my saves over, and just started a new playthrough on Easy.
    That explains it. Removing the challenge from the game eliminates the need for most of the tools the game gives you.

I was thinking of Hard mode when I remembered finishing the game with 80 Adam left. Hard difficulty meant constantly using Target Dummy (the best plasmid), and antipersonnel ammo, which I was only allowed to carry 3 clips of.

Fighting Big Daddies on Hard was one of the few times I've actually enjoyed challenge in a game. One of my common strategies against them on Hard was blocking a doorway with a pile of oxygen tanks that had a proximity mine at the bottom of the pile, along with trap bolts (boosted with Electric Flesh) strung all over the room afterward.

...At least until I found out that a single can of Electric Gel would kill a Big Daddy in one shot, while keeping it paralyzed the whole time. I never tried it until I was told, since I thought Elec Gel was worthless.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan