New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wealth Domain: possible? playable? practical?

I have a deity with Wealth in their portfolio for a campaign world I am working on, I was wondering if anyone thinks that Wealth should be a domain for them as well. I think I'd have to make up spells for it, except maybe one or two that can make other metals into gold, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can come up with a sensible domain spell list and granted power.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

2. - Top - End - #2

Daemon

Default Re: Wealth Domain: possible? playable? practical?

There's already a Wealth domain in Spell Compendium. So, hey, there's that to go from.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I have a deity with Wealth in their portfolio for a campaign world I am working on, I was wondering if anyone thinks that Wealth should be a domain for them as well. I think I'd have to make up spells for it, except maybe one or two that can make other metals into gold, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can come up with a sensible domain spell list and granted power.
    1. Mending
    2. Glitterdust
    3. Plant Growth
    4. Secret Chest
    5. Major Creation
    6. Fabricate
    7. Magnificent Mansion
    8. ?
    9. ?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    There's already a Wealth domain in Spell Compendium. So, hey, there's that to go from.
    That domain seems more like a 'warding' domain, rather than anything really related to wealth.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Haarkla View Post
    1. Mending
    2. Glitterdust
    3. Plant Growth
    4. Secret Chest
    5. Major Creation
    6. Fabricate
    7. Magnificent Mansion
    8. ?
    9. ?
    Secret chest, maybe...but the other spells don't really say 'Wealth' to me... Plant Growth...like when you think Bill Gates you think of him watering a plant?

1.Apprasing Touch
    2.Entice Gift
    3.Servant Horde
    4.Treasure Scent
    5.Secret chest
    6.Wall of Gold
    7.Transmute Wood to Gold
    8.Hindsight
    9.Foresight

6. - Top - End - #6

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Girl View Post
    Secret chest, maybe...but the other spells don't really say 'Wealth' to me... Plant Growth...like when you think Bill Gates you think of him watering a plant?
    Fabricate makes sense to me - you're turning raw materials into more valuable things. Major Creation lets you make shiny things out of nothing, and given that Glitterdust is a burst of golden dust that seems at least thematically viable. Magnificent Mansion, too - when you think of rich people, magnificent mansions aren't exactly far from the list of ideas associated with them.

The original Wealth domain's power isn't exciting, but it does seem suitable - Appraise as a class skill and SF: Appraise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Fabricate makes sense to me - you're turning raw materials into more valuable things. Major Creation lets you make shiny things out of nothing, and given that Glitterdust is a burst of golden dust that seems at least thematically viable. Magnificent Mansion, too - when you think of rich people, magnificent mansions aren't exactly far from the list of ideas associated with them.

The original Wealth domain's power isn't exciting, but it does seem suitable - Appraise as a class skill and SF: Appraise.

Both fabricate and creation are 'working class spells', not the kind of thing you think of when you think 'Wealth'. Glitterdust is too combative, what would the average wealth type person do with that spell? And a mansion, sure, maybe

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Rehashing the flavor of currently existing SRD spells could also work, such as flesh to gold instead of flesh to stone. It would also serve to give it some offensive uses that for the most part the Wealth domain lacks. It should be noted, however, that you should probably take measures to avoid shenanigans like selling the gold stature or melting it down into its weight in coins. The same can be said for a spell like Wall of Gold in particular.
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    Rehashing the flavor of currently existing SRD spells could also work, such as flesh to gold instead of flesh to stone. It would also serve to give it some offensive uses that for the most part the Wealth domain lacks. It should be noted, however, that you should probably take measures to avoid shenanigans like selling the gold stature or melting it down into its weight in coins. The same can be said for a spell like Wall of Gold in particular.
    Easy way to avoid that is make the 'gold' actually be fool's gold. It looks like a perfect statue made of gold, but break it and it reveals it's true self as a black, worthless mineral.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Wouldn't really show off wealth, though, would it?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    Wouldn't really show off wealth, though, would it?
    It looks pretty swanky, though, doesn't it?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show