New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Last Redoubt

1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Last Redoubt

The gnome presses a latch on the gate, opening it and stepping through into the tunnel beyond, silent for a few moments. "Well...there's Sarlona, of course, and most of Breland. And Thrane and Karrnath. And with the Twelve in disarray, no one's bothering to care much about Xen'drik, but no one knows whether the giants or shadow elves have been doing anything. They're rumored to have some sort of non-aggression pact with Aerenal, but who knows if they're actually keeping their word. They did something to the Hags, so Droaam's pretty much full of chaos. And Q'barra, of course, and there're rumors they've got some sort of foothold in Mror.

"But not Zilargo. Never Zilargo. We started the Next War, you know," she says proudly. "Every time one of their people wormed their way into one of our leader's dreams, some brave soul did his duty and saved the Zils. And then Merrix made the first Ring of Insomnia..." She sighs happily. "As long as there is breath in a single gnome, there will be a Zilargo to fight them."
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

2. - Top - End - #182

AssassinGuy

The path from the gate is winding, branching, and tinged with the lingering scent of sulfur.

When conversation finally dies down, it becomes apparent that the mental song has returned, filling the travelers' minds with the humming tune that recalls a world of light and beauty far from the dark worlds below.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamcatcher continues in stoic silence, marching through the tunnels with a robotic gait that could continue for weeks on end.

"These Rings of Insomnia- Do they do what I imagine they do? How many of them are there?"

4. - Top - End - #184

AssassinGuy

"Why do you ask? You don't need one. I suppose the human's the only one who would benefit, and you lot have always been pretty skittish about the side-effects." She waves her hands dismissively. "And in any case, we've got a terrible time making them; after the Inspired figured out about them, they cut off supplies of several of the more vital ingredients." She stops moving for a moment, glancing at her three companions. "On that note, you're going to have to tell me when you're tired. I sort of forget that some people still need rest, sometimes." She chuckles nervously. "Of course, the upside of it is that I can keep watch all night. Although I guess you can do that too." This last is aimed at Dreamcatcher.
    Drew

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

"Skittish," Dreamcatcher says, trying out the word and filing it away for later. "You could say that I am 'skittish' about the side effects as well. Dreaming exposes you to danger, yes, but leaving the dreamworld to them, uncontested?"
    Last edited by Fishy; 2010-10-10 at 10:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"Good for a while yet," murmurs Niev absently. She walks in a distracted, half-content silence, trying to piece together the shard's song. It seemed so simple on the surface, just a melody of reassurance and remembrance, albeit of things she had never seen, but it had shown too much power to be a traveler's memento - and it had spoken. No, she reminds herself, something had spoken, while they were with the shard. Come to think of it, the gnome hadn't mentioned anything about the song. Either she couldn't hear it, or she had heard it before, and wasn't surprised...

For that matter, was Niev the only one that could hear it? Catching Mari's eye, she taps a hand against the pocket containing the shard and raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

"…What side effects?"

Mari glances at Niev, and nods.

8. - Top - End - #188

AssassinGuy

"Well, Merrix theorized the Ring of Sustenance works in the manner it does because sleep is necessary for some...well, things. I'm not an expert. They're minor, anyway. I'm not planning to take it off. Plus, some of the other effects are more or less helpful for an enemy of the Inspired."

She seems unable to hear the singing as she leads the group in a direction that is more-or-less downward.

Despite the malevolence of their surroundings, the small party isn't feeling any particular foreboding, other than those born of natural suspicions.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (planes) or (religion) if you've got them.
    Drew

9. - Top - End - #189

Spoiler
    Show
    Planes: (1d20+11)[25]
    Religion:(1d20+6)[13]

10. - Top - End - #190

AssassinGuy

@Mari
    Spoiler
    Show

Khyber is evil; it contains within it the seed of most of the darkness native to the plane of Eberron. That there should be no sense of that darkness here, even a hint of it, is strange. Either the plane is lurking, waiting to spring something on you, or something is keeping the darkness at bay.
    Drew

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I haven't been peeking in spoilers earlier in the thread- is this something Dreamcatcher can hear/should know about?

Knowledge: Psionics - (1d20+7)[15]

12. - Top - End - #192

"…Um. Was it quite this serene last time you came through?"

13. - Top - End - #193

AssassinGuy

"Now that you mention it, no," Reason replies worriedly. "It was a nightmarish wasteland that filled the very air with the putrid scents of the damned. The canaries went insane after three hours.

She starts glancing anxiously towards the dark corners of the caverns. "You don't think we're being stalked by something, do you? Only we had a lot of trouble with those stupid slime zombies last time and I can't remember what they were weak to."
    Drew

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

So, do you sing to save us, little shard, or to keep our guard down? Well, if ever there were an effective counter to a place filled with such pervasive malevolence as Reason described, the song yet running through her head would be it. It almost felt as though she could keep on walking without pause, as though this were nothing more than a long circle around the city to clear her thoughts... see, there was the downside.

"Well, I don't want to get too complacent, but perhaps we should just keep our eyes open and enjoy it while it lasts."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #195

AssassinGuy

Reason spends the next few hours anxious and visibly on edge. At last, when she notices her companions (the humanoid ones) beginning to slow, she calls a halt to their travel.

"The warforged and I can keep watch," she says. "That is, I can keep watch and your friend can keep an eye on me. I suppose I'm keeping an eye on him."

And just before the humans drift off to sleep, the gnome offers this cheerful advice:

"Remember, don't believe anything you dream!"
    Drew

16. - Top - End - #196

AssassinGuy

The ambient light doesn't shift as the sleepers dream, or rest, but a melancholy air overtakes the small cave Reason had seen shortly before calling for a rest. Unlike other spellcasters (for what power had she drawn on than magic?), she does not seem content to rest, but gets up and paces at irregular intervals, watching the dark corners endlessly.

It would be enough to drive someone to distraction.

Hours pass in this way.

@everyone (especially dreamcatcher)
    Spoiler
    Show

Listen checks (remember unconsciousness penalties) and Spot checks for those with their eyes open)
    Drew

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Having given her bedroll to Mari, Niev curls up against the wall, the enchanted cloak keeping her warm and dry, at least, if not necessarily entirely comfortable. This didn't really seem the place to investigate the shard further, and for now, it was rather pleasant to have the song warding off Khyber's ambient malevolence. Whether to trust the shard, whether to trust Reason... it didn't seem all that important just now. Sleep, and then in the morning, walking further. No sense in worrying until something happened, after all. Was that quite right? A strange thought... on the edge of sleep, and quickly forgotten as she falls over that edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't just make a check without at least rambling for a little while. <<;;
    Listen: (1d20-8)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamcatcher keeps silent watch while Niev and Mari sleep. It's what he does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+10)[27]
    Listen - (1d20+4)[24]

No special ability to see in the darkness, but he'll keep Detect Spirits up, just because he can.

19. - Top - End - #199

Curled up in Niev's bedroll, Mari lies awake for nearly an hour, silently puzzling over various things. By the time she'd gotten to imagining the shard as a Siberys that fell too far and was swallowed by a demon before it was killed by a half-dragon canary which snatched it up but was attacked by a large cat - she wasn't quite sure whether she was awake or not, although anyone else could have told her that she was definitely asleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen:(1d20-10)[-6]

20. - Top - End - #200

AssassinGuy

@dreamcatcher
    Spoiler
    Show

You see something lurking out at the very boundaries of your sight, and can hear the same creature, half your size, moving nearly-silently along the gravel.
    Drew

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Dreamcatcher raises a heavy metal finger, and beckons to Reason, trying to draw her attention and get her to pace closer to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, manifests Empathy, detecting emotions in a 30' radius, no save.

22. - Top - End - #202

AssassinGuy

Reason peers into the edge of the darkness, and her wariness suddenly gives way to delight. "Professor! You're alive!"

The figure that steps into the ring of light is indeed a gnome, albeit one whose skin seems permanently cast into shadow. He moves with almost preternatural silence, but he does smile widely when he sees Reason.

"Reason? How delightful to see you!"

@dreamcatcher
    Spoiler
    Show

You can sense the sharp edge of Reason's nervousness, which gives way to delight. You can sense the calm dreaming minds of your companions. You cannot sense anything from the new arrival.

Roll Knowledge (psionics)
    Drew

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

"Doctor Kollos, I presume," Dreamcatcher intones, "Your companion speaks highly of you. Has the damnation-scented nightmarish wasteland been treating you well?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Psionics - (1d20+7)[27]

24. - Top - End - #204

AssassinGuy

@Fishy
    Spoiler
    Show

Anything that renders a creature immune to mind-affecting effects would keep you from learning their emotions with empathy.

There are creature types, powers (mind blank, most notably), and items that can confer this benefit.
    Drew

25. - Top - End - #205

AssassinGuy

The gnome laughs brightly. "Oh, well enough. It's easy to keep out of sight, and staying out of the way is half of what you need to do to stay safe down here. And Reason, what did you find? I thought we agreed not to pick up hitchhikers down here."
    Drew

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"Forgive our intrusion, Traveler, but we are exiles from our homes and have nowhere to go. Resentment. Reason was attacked by agents of the Insipred, and we came to her defense- it is my hope that I shall be able to do more to assist you than burden you. Vanity."

27. - Top - End - #207

AssassinGuy

Dr. Kollos grins at the warforged. "Well, that's a different kind of dragonmark entirely! We've got to stick together down here; there are some very nasty creatures lurking between here and...we are still pressing forward, aren't we, Reason?"

She shakes her head. "No sir. I...they're...well, you see, this woman's a kalashtar."

Dr. Kollos' eyes gleam with triumph. "Ah! I knew we'd do it! So back the way we came, eh? Good job!"
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2010-10-23 at 01:56 PM.
    Drew

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"While I'm sure we're all eager to be going, our companions still have a need for sleep."

29. - Top - End - #209

AssassinGuy

The Professor nods and sits, and Reason, after a moment joins him. The man produces a map which looks more like a random array of scribbles, but he and Reason spend several hours discussing it.

In the morning (or at least eight or so hours after the people who need to sleep went to sleep), they are both a little energetic, looking as if they are ready to go.
    Drew

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Niev awakens slowly, sitting up against the wall, and looks over at Dreamcatcher and Reason. She closes her eyes again, reaching for the flask and taking a long sip of tea, then takes a second look. Oh, I am awake.

She briefly considers saying something, then thinks better of it, pulling a bit of food from another pocket and watching the shadowy gnome as she waits for Mari to wake. May as well get the explanation once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei