New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Before I post Raffy's action for the first round it would be helpful to know how the crowd is reacting to my announcement. Again, inciting them to violence was the goal. Three witch hunters wouldn't have enough pistols to overcome the entire riot.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Everything was falling apart, as Illiiya watched in panic and shock. As pale as she'd gone, one would think there was no blood at all left in her face. This would only end in bloodshed now.

No matter how often I warned you... You did nothing. Now he betrays you to the hunter. Even if the zealot dies, you will still be burned alive for witchcraft.

No! No no no! Ith... and Lothar! They'll stand up for me. They won't let-

No more excuses! You will die if you don't stop this fool pretense of ignorance! WE are stronger than this! Remain a coward, and everyone here dies!

B-but.... but... I don't want to be you. I don't want to hurt anymore. It... it burns.

Enough! You are a sorceress, not a sniveling wreck! We will do this no more! I am tired of fear ruling us!

Enough! Illiiya yelled above the din and the chaos, standing oddly tall and unflinching, ENOUGH!Are you all fools?! Can you not see that this is EXACTLY what all of this was done to bring about? Chaos and death! There will be no one left to defend this place at this rate!

Her stutter, gone. Her eyes, coldly focused. She seemed almost another person, as she spoke in a voice loud and unwavering... Like someone used to making demands.

I confess to being a sorceress. She stated loudly, looking square at Jagrun, then Raffy, If this stops right now... I will submit myself, and not resist. But I want no one here harmed. No one. Am I understood?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Looking round at the elf as she appeared in the doorway, Jagrun hesitated for the merest fraction of a second - then a pistol was in his hand, his arm straightening as he took aim at the Sparrowhawk with one fluid motion.

"Stay where you are," he called out, his voice ringing over the heads of the crowd, "or I will be forced to decline her request."

OOC: Half-action to draw the pistol, half-action to aim.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-16 at 07:17 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #724
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar paused just through the doorway, looking back at Illiiya, then forward to Raffy. "What're you doin'? I was with you last night- you're a terrible dice player, but you never cast no spells to summon rats to eat people."

The soldier looked uncertain, but made no move to sheathe his sword.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hold action, but if Raffy moves to attack, I'm on him.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

"She doesn't have to lie to protect me," Raffy calls. "Go ahead, Jagrun. Shoot at me with all these people here. How many more citizens do you have to kill? Do you even care if you miss and hit an innocent? Or do you want to tell them what your beliefs about innocent people are?"

Raffy tucks his empty buss back in its holster and puts a hand on his sword. "I challenge you, Aldric Jagrun, Heretic. Lay down your gun and meet me in a duel here. If you have any honour as noble or bygone Templar, then do not shoot the common people. I could have shot you, and didn't. Let's settle this with blade, fist and wits - and let Sigmar decide it."
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-17 at 01:40 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Jagrun kept his pistol trained on Raffy as the youth made his speech: hearing the Sparrowhawk out, he slowly lowered the gun.

"A trial by ordeal," he said, a strange smile crossing his face. "Very well, boy. We shall see who Sigmar protects."

Taking off his hat, he thrust it out towards the nearest guard. "Send word to Sergeant Halbermann, on Manor Street," he said to the man, quietly. "He is to begin the search of Samtzunge House without delay."

Turning back to Raffy, the Templar unsheathed his own sword, the S-hilted Katzbalger blade gleaming in the winter sun. The crowd recoiled, forming a gawping circle around the two men.

"This child is a tool of the sorceress who has preyed upon this town," the Witch Hunter called out in a voice of steel, addressing their audience. "She has sent her dark magic into your homes, to slaughter your kith and kin. Now she seeks to stay the hand of judgement by sacrificing her pawn."

Almost pushing Illiiya out of the way to get a look out of the door, Marius' eyes widened.

"This is insane," the Captain muttered under his breath.

"You are witnesses to his challenge," continued Jagrun, still proclaiming his words to the watching crowd. "Witness now that I give him one final chance to surrender." He turned back to the Sparrowhawk, the man's pale eyes fixing on Raffy's as his voice returned to a softer tone. "Your soul may yet be saved."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 01:57 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Raffy, stop this! She... I... wants none of you hurt. Stop acting like a fool for once in your life! Illiiya yelled to Raffy, her tone torn between anger, concern and... confusion? Perhaps at the conflict between her feelings. I am doing this to spare you, you stubborn ass! Gods help me... I am trying to save a human. What is wrong with me?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus picks himself up from the floor after the Sparrowhawk dodged his tackle. collecting his sickle, he quickly moves out the way and puts a hand on Illiiya's shoulder. 'We've done all we can, it is now up to the fool to get himself killed or not.' He spits on the floor. 'Now would be a good time to make ourselves scarce' he mutters to Pieter, Lothar and Illiiya.
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Making his way outside the building before the guards could stop him, Pieter witnessed with open disbelief the scene that unfolded in front of him. Again, he wondered: How had Rafale managed to survive to early adulthood? Was there a god watching over suicidal fools?

"Rafale," he said in a soft, placating tone as he approached the boy. Then he punched him in the stomach.

Spoiler
    Show
    WS 36: (d100)[11] (Hit!)
    Unarmed damage: (d10-1)[0] (Good. Causing damage was not my intent.)

He turned to the witch hunter: "Rafale declines the duel," he said firmly. "He is obviously drunk and not in any state to take such a decision."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-17 at 04:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

As Illiiya continues to try to throw down her life for him, the tiniest gleamof a tear can be seen at the corner of his right eye. He cringes at the Witch Hunter's speech, atttempting to blink it away as if it were not there. When Pieter throws his half-hearted sucker punch however, Raffy brushes it aside and roars at those pressed around him:

"Would everyone... just... stop... LYING!"

With sword in hand he turns to Jagrun. "I decline to surrender. In the name of the gods, your murders end this day!"

He opens the duel by making a rush at Jagrun with his sword....

Spoiler
    Show

Full action: charge

BS - (1d100)[41] vs. 46; won't Fortune Point if misses
    damage if hits: 3 (strength bonus) (do I roll anything else or is it a straight 3?)
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-17 at 04:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter knew how to recognize an opportunity to get the hell out of someplace. Everyone was watching the fight, and the witch hunter himself was busy. The crowd would be easy to blend in. Jagrun may never forget a face, but except for that he knew too little about the initiate to be able to track him down. Pieter did not especially want to get arrested or witness Raffy's death by stupidity.

But what if he lives and needs to be healed?

With a sigh, Pieter drew his lucky shilling, the first coin he had ever stolen.

Heads, I'm out of here. Tails, I stay.

He flipped the coin, caught it and glanced at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heads = 1, tails = 2.
    (d2)[2]

He grimaced at the result, but dutifully obeyed Ranald: he did not move an inch.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-17 at 04:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

As Raffy thundered into the charge, Jagrun lazily looped his sword around before him, bringing the gleaming blade into readiness – watching the youth draw closer, he sidestepped at the last moment, avoiding his opponent with the practised air of a veteran about to put a stripling in his place.

Complacency is a killer.

Raffy’s blade flashed out, a wild blow circumventing the Templar’s defence – the crowd held its breath as Jagrun’s head jerked to one side, the broadsword’s tip cutting a red line across his cheek. The Sparrowhawk had drawn first blood.

Eyes narrowing, the Templar stepped back, his sword raised to ward off any further blows as he sought to take the measure of his opponent...

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun assumes a Defensive Stance (Half action, Raffy has a -20% penalty to hit him in the next round) then a Parrying Stance (Half action, now he has a parry prepared). As such, he does not strike this round.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 05:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Wordlessly continues to hold the vor. He strikes with a high two-handed stab at Jagrun's face... but then winds their swords for a cut to the belly.

Spoiler
    Show

Half action: Feint
    Opposed WS: (1d100)[56] (skill is 36 if that matters); I assume the 20% to-hit penalty does not apply to this since it is not a to-hit roll

Half action: attack
    WS - (1d100)[99] nornmally vs. 36; minus whatever penalty from the Defensive stance.

Damage if needed:
    (1d10+3)[6]

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the feint coming, Jagrun deftly extricated himself from the Sparrowhawk’s attack – then, in a sudden blur of steel, the Witch Hunter launched his counter-attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun makes a Swift Attack, using his full Attacks Characteristic of 3. He uses the talent Strike to Stun on all three attacks.

WS50 + 5% for Best Craftsmanship on the sword.
    To hit - (1d100)[3] - hits
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[14] - passes

To hit - (1d100)[58] - misses
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[89]

To hit - (1d100)[36] - hits
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[37] - passes

For each of these that lands, Raffy needs to make a Toughness Test (with a +10% bonus for each point of armour on his head, but I don't believe he has any, does he?). Failure means he's stunned for 1d10 rounds.

Edit: So that's two toughness tests please, Poet.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 05:52 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

The Sparrowhawk deflects each of the three blows, but two of them only very narrowly - his breath catches as he steps back and off-line from his opponent ever so slightly, falling into the nach.

But he isn't about to lose his lead now, and a hawk does not swoop from where its prey can see it....

Spoiler
    Show

Half action: Throw buckshot underfoot
    Agility vs. 49 (includes +10 bonus) (1d100)[36]
    Half Action: strike Jagrun
    WS - (1d100)[9] vs. 36 (possibly 46 if he is prone)
    damage - (1d10+3)[9]

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus looks at the duel with increasing horror. He moves away from the guardhouse, on the pretense of getting a better look but actually he is ensuring that he has an avenue of escape if the duel goes south. He also attempts to get Illiiya and Lothar to do the same.
    Sigatar by Me

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

As Raffy hurled a handful of shot under the man's feet, Jagrun stepped effortlessly aside, making to strike again – the youth’s broadsword lashed out, cutting a gash across the older man’s leg. This time, there was an audible murmur from the crowd – a groundswell of doubt and astonishment, rippling outward from the duel itself.

“You are making things worse for yourself,” said Jagrun, gritting his teeth as he circled his opponent. “The harlot is not worth your life, boy.”

Without warning, he lunged – this time, using the point of the blade in deadly earnest. Raffy just barely avoided the stabbing blow, Jagrun recovering and raising his guard once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun makes a Standard Attack (half action), then assumes a Parrying Stance (half action).

Effective WS 55 - (1d100)[60] - miss.
    Damage - (1d10+4)[13]
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 06:05 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy doesn't deign to acknowledge the ignoble insult to Maria, instead letting the course of the ordeal speak for itself.

A little more doesn't hurt, he thinks, and tosses another handful of buckshot under the witch hunter's feet. This time he guards with a sweep of his sword to the outside, and strikes low from the Tail Guard.

Spoiler
    Show

BS to scatter shot (1d100)[82] vs. 58 (includes +10)
    Attack (1d100)[97] vs. 36 (possibly 46)
    Damage (1d10+3)[9]

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

His lip curling as Raffy tried the trick with the shot once more, Jagrun batted the boy's blow aside, backing up to shift his footing away from where the metal pellets had rolled. His sword flicked out in a guarded blow, the Sparrowhawk's second hit evidently having made him wary of his opponent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun makes a Guarded Attack (-10 to hit, but +10 to parry until his next turn), then assumes a Parrying Stance.

(1d100)[11]
    (1d10+4)[14]

Unfortunately, Raffy chose that moment to press the attack - trying too late to pull out of his attack, the Templar's blade caught him across the cheekbone, cutting open his lip and sending him staggering sideways, away from Jagrun. Red drops freckled the cobbles, the crowd gasping: all eyes were on the bloodied Sparrowhawk.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 07:05 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk...

...recovers spinning to face Jagrun, a look of exhilaration on his face. He lets out a short laugh and comes back in, lightly, doggishly, portraying complete effortless confidence that he is going to win, with the God on his side.

(But internally, churning with worry and the nerve-lifting wash of adrenaline....)

Spoiler
    Show

Half action to parry: BS (1d100)[35] vs. Jagrun (48 if tied)
    Attack (1d100)[41] vs. 36
    Damage (1d10+3)[6]

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-17 at 07:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Narrowing his eyes at his enemy’s laughter, Jagrun slammed suddenly forwards into the attack, seeking to wear Raffy down with a hail of blows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Attack, once again striking to stun.

(1d100)[58] - miss
    Strength - (1d100)[74]

(1d100)[4] - parried
    Strength - (1d100)[11]

(1d100)[5] - hit
    Strength - (1d100)[50] - failed

Broadsword ringing with the repeated impacts, Raffy weathered the storm...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 07:27 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy moves slower than the Hunter, but lighter on his feet - it's almost dance like as he meets the three broadsword blows high-low-high with the edge of his blade. The idea that his third-generation military souvenir might wreck the Hunter's master-forged sword is darkly absurd; but it doesn't occur to the young man. He seems lost in the rhapsody of sword strokes, as if acting unconsciously. A trance or a spell, you might say. Or divine grace.

Spoiler
    Show

Parry with WS (1d100)[56] vs. Jagrun or 36 (used BS last time by accident, sorry)
    Attack (1d100)[86] vs. 36
    Damage (1d10+3)[6]

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Relenting as the Sparrowhawk met his offensive steel for steel, Jagrun circled to the left - the Katzbalger blade flicked out like a striking viper, testing the youth's defences to find another chink through which to attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Attack, Parrying Stance.

(1d100)[25]
    (1d10+5)[6]

The gleaming sword stabbed past Raffy's guard, piercing the muscle of the young man's upper arm. Raffy gave an involuntary cry of pain, the limb going numb from shock - fortunately, it was not the one holding the sword.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 07:54 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy throws his left hand behind his back as he steps forward into the hit, ending up in a fencing posture and far closer to Jagrun than before, but escaping what could have been far worse damage to the muscle of that arm. And...

Strike home.

Spoiler
    Show

Parry with WS: (1d100)[45] vs 36
    Attack with WS: (1d100)[95] vs 36
    Damage: (1d10+3)[10]

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Seeming to shrug off his own wounds with an infuriating implacability, the Witch Hunter effortlessly deflected Raffy’s attack: eyes following the Sparrowhawk’s motions with a calculating expression.

"She's lied to you. Like she's lied to so many others," he said, shifting the balance of his weapon in his hands. "Do you think it's any coincidence that she chose you? The Captain's men. The very people she wishes to steer away from her crimes."

Swinging forwards, he made to strike the boy’s warding sword aside, bringing the pommel of his own back in a scything back-hand blow at Raffy's head. The Sparrowhawk ducked at the last moment, the hammering stroke arcing through thin air.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 08:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

I chose her, he thinks, but says nothing. And...

Strike home.

Spoiler
    Show

Parry with WS: (1d100)[78] vs 36
    Attack with WS: (1d100)[25] vs 36
    Damage: (1d10+3)[10]

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Jagrun’s parry was a fraction of a second too slow – Raffy’s sword lanced into his shoulder, the Witch Hunter crying out in pain as his black coat darkened further in a widening circle around the wound.

“Rafale!” shouted Marius, striding forwards from the door. “For Ulric’s sake, stop!”

Left arm dangling behind him, the Templar gave a rising roar of fury, blind fanaticism burning in his eyes. He drove forwards with every scrap of strength he had left in him, slamming his sword hilt-first against the young man’s face.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack, striking to stun.

Effective WS 75 - (1d100)[36] - hit
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[85] - fail!

I’ve never been clear about whether All-Out Attack uses your full attacks characteristic or just one attack, but I think in this case I’d better give the PC survival option the benefit of the doubt

Raffy took the blow full-on, stumbling back - shaking his head, however, he cleared his senses, the finesse behind Jagrun's blows wavering. He was winning, he thought, he was actually winning!.

The crowd could sense it too - he could feel every eye on him. Delberz held its breath.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 08:38 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy stumbles back, temporarily knocked out of his trance. Tiny dots of light from the pommel-strike clear from his eyes, and he looks at Marius and smiles.

"You wouldn't act before, Captain. Don't do me the favour to act now."

Spoiler
    Show

Back to the fray!

Parry with WS: (1d100)[86] vs 36
    Attack with WS: (1d100)[85] vs 36
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

The light of fury still blazing in his eyes, the Templar pressed his attack, seeming to feel his bloody arm was the merest nuisance - blow after blow hammered against Raffy's defences, the Sigmarite pouring every ounce of his skill into his assault.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift attack, striking to stun.

(1d100)[1] - hit
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[43] - fail

(1d100)[92] - miss
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[87]

(1d100)[20] - hit
    Strength 41 - (1d100)[48] - fail
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-17 at 08:47 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Yet the boy fights on....

Spoiler
    Show

Parry with WS: (1d100)[75] vs 36
    Attack with WS: (1d100)[79] vs 36
    Damage: (1d10+3)[7]