New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    “Well... that’s good, then,” said the militiaman, seemingly unsure of how to handle the elf prisoner. Illiiya had the feeling that, had she been human, there would have been a lot more leering involved.

Her hands shackled behind her back, two of the Hounds marched her outside, the third following close behind – closing the door of the house behind them, he looked up, as if smelling the air.

“There’s trouble brewin’,” muttered one of them.
    “Ain’t our business,” snapped the leader in retort. “We got our orders.” He nodded to the other two. “The Castle. Quick as.”
    He glanced back over his shoulder, along the broad main road that led up towards Judge’s Square.
    “Come to think of it, the side-streets are probably faster,” he muttered, leading the way himself...

[hr]

The castle loomed against the grey sky like a squat masonry toad on its rocky pedestal, its gate yawning wide at the city below. Without the cover of night and the flickering glow of torchlight, it seemed far less impressive – particularly in contrast to the Gothic grandeur of the Cathedral spire. When the scaffolding vanished from the bell-tower – surely any day now – Sigmar’s stronghold in Delberz would put the Baron’s in the shade.

Following silently along in the midst of her captors, Illiiya was led up the winding pathway to the gate, the guards at the gatehouse letting them pass without a word. The Hounds seemed disconcerted by Illiiya’s lack of resistance – nonetheless, they pressed on, leading her inside, then down a stone spiral staircase that seemed somehow familiar. It was only when she passed through one particular room – a bare, stone-walled room hung with wrought iron and sharp edges - that she realised they were passing through Jagrun’s old quarters.

Another twist, another turn – a narrow corridor, and a trio of thick wooden doors with barred windows set at head-height. One was thrown open, Illiiya was thrown in – the door was slammed shut and locked. Muttering to themselves in a dissatisfied fashion, the Hounds hurried away, their footsteps receding rapidly outside the cell.

After what might have been a minute or an hour, echoing footsteps approached again, and the bolts were drawn back – looking up, Illiiya winced as the door was heaved open, a bar of torchlight falling across her face. Two armed men stood in the doorway, one holding the torch, the other with his hand on the pommel of his sword – they might have been guards or Hounds, it was impossible to tell. Behind them, a tall, vulture-like figure – instantly recognisable as the Lector.

“So,” he said, coldly. “This is the witch who slew Aldric Jagrun.”

He made an imperious gesture in her direction.

“Stand.”
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya stood up, oddly tall and unbowed (as it were, her height was nothing to be impressed over) in the presence of the Lector. She had no look of defiance about her though... strangely enough.

I have confessed already... you know this. Why have you come? To see me tortured? She said, keeping the image of her companions strong in her mind. No matter what came, she would not abandon them. She had done all of this... for them. Jagrun was accused of corruption before he died. He agreed to the trial by combat. There was no wrong done, save by me in my interruption of it. There is nothing more to say.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Trial by combat" sneered the Lector. "So you say. In which you claim Aldric was defeated by some... whelp."

He paced forwards, looking down his aquiline nose at the elf.

"Telling, that she would send another female to do her dirty work," he said, quietly. "I have always maintained that woman is a perfidious creature. An elven woman, and a mage... doubly so."

His tone changed abruptly, becoming abrupt and curt.

"The crimes to which you have already confessed have condemned you beyond reprieve. I may not be able to save you from the flames of this world, but your soul may still be redeemed from those of the next."

He snapped his fingers to the guards, who bundled Illiiya to the back of the cell, putting a respectful distance between her and the high priest. His black robes giving him the appearance of some malevolent spectre in the torchlight, von Kemperbad pointed one bony finger straight at Illiiya.

"Your connection to these murders. To the rats. To the arch-heretic Samtzunge. Confess."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-24 at 06:16 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Did you not speak to your hunter? It may have been my words that put him upon Lady Samtzunge in the first. During the course of our work assisting the guards, I felt the aethyr about her twice, and I told Jagrun as much. I believe she is a manipulator and a whore who dabbles in things she does not understand to win the adoration she desires. Illiiya said franky, not struggling against the guardsmen, I am no more her ally than you are. I struck out against your man to protect a very fool and reckless friend whom I think is being mislead by her false promises and charms... not to protect lady Samtzunge. Had that been my motivation, I do a very poor job, do I not? Clearly you are seeking confessions from me because you believe her to be behind this, as I do.

Illiiya cast her eyes on the Lector in an even glaze... too proud to show her fear of what he might do to force her "confession". She would not sell them to him. Maria, however... she had no love of. Only a burning coal of envy that seemed to flare to life again.

That is all I can tell you. I am no ally of hers, nor do I even believe she is innocent. I can give you nothing else.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy regarded the coach with a growing sense of cold, wintry anger.

((Do I recognise whose coach it is by any heraldic markings or the style of its make? At the very least, if it's Maria's I assume I would recognise it - having seen & ridden in it.))

If not:

"Who the f---."

He draws his 'buss and approaches the thing, trying to stay at an angle where a passenger inside could not easily see him. Creeping up on it, he peers in the window.

((If someone is inside, nix the below. Assuming it is empty...))

He steps back and looks around. He ducks down to look beneath. Then, as swift as he's able, he tears open the coach door and vaults inside. There he looks into any bags, parcels or containers. He pulls lightly at the seats to see if they lift up to reveal compartments beneath. He is not afraid to loot the thing, if it holds any item of worth to him.

Vaulting back outside he glances atop and behind to see if there is luggage at all, and if there is, he opens and checks it as well - but he doesn't let anything fall on the ground, and closes them tight when he's done.

Then he glares around the street warily...

((I'll wait to see the result before going further))

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    ”Oh, I truly think you can,” said the Lector. “A convenient story you have spun – that it reveals nothing we do not already know. That the woman is a temptress? That she uses her... heathen wiles, to seduce men from the path of righteousness?” He lowered his head a little, the better to look Illiiya in the eye. “You might as well have told me her name was Samtzunge. I have known these things since I first set eyes on her.”

Straightening up, he folded his hands inside the sleeves of his robe. “The truth of the matter is clear. Aldric was close on her trail, and so she sent an assassin. You, and your friend. You may as well spare yourself the suffering of maintaining otherwise.”

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The coach was lavishly-built, but unmarked – it didn’t look at all like the coach he had taken with Maria from the Baron’s reception. Creeping up carefully as he could, he saw the horses had been tethered – his back to the wall of the carriage, he span quickly round to stare in the window.

There was no-one else on the street: nothing underneath the carriage. Opening the door, he pulled himself quickly inside: it appeared to be carrying no luggage, but from the upholstery and general craftsmanship, he could only guess that the owner was exceedingly wealthy.

Scuttling outside again, he scanned the top of the vehicle – again, no luggage. Clearly whoever had parked it here was only making a short trip.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-25 at 04:31 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    This was the part she knew would come. Finding the guilty party was far too much effort. No... it was far easier to use torture and intimidation until the poor fool you held confessed. She could not falter now.

This is pointless. If I am right, I know nothing and can tell you no more than I have already said. And if YOU are right, then Lady Samtzunge has powers to sway others so strong that she was able to make me attack a church hunter in front of many, many witnesses... knowing full well the fate that would come of it. If she is that powerful, you are wasting your words, are you not? Anyone that much a thrall would not betray her.

She caught the Lector's gaze... knowing her words were pointless, but speaking them nonetheless.

Let us end this farce, please. You are only doing this so you may stand before the people of this town and pretend that you are making some way in solving these killings. You are not. Your lead of Lady Maria came from me... and the rats were found by the humans I kept company with. She said, her voice steady and slightly cold, All you have done is find more bodies. Fortuitously quickly, I might add.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    The Lector narrowed his eyes.

"Take care," he said, very slowly. "Sigmar's Church will not be insulted by the likes of you."

He stepped back.

“You may think you have spared yourself the worst by your murdering Aldric, but I assure you – I am more than capable of continuing his holy work. I cut my teeth rooting out a shape-changing witch in the forest villages near here. She protested her innocence as strongly as you do, calling herself a child of Ulric.” The priest’s tone dropped. “But she could not help what she was. And neither can you. Your guilt is written upon your soul.”

“I have Aldric’s notes on the investigation. I have Sigmar’s blessing. And I have two hundred men under arms, searching for your friend. You may wish to consider in your calculations whether, when he is caught, he will share your misguided bravery.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-25 at 06:54 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus stays hidden in the crowd, leaving Peiter to do the talking. He does however ready himself for a quick escape if things go wrong.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-09-25 at 07:22 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "Haven't you had enough of losing your authority to thugs and mercenaries from out of town? Of being seen by the Hounds as fit only for the jobs they consider beneath them? Of fearing for your employment, because some political snake of a Lector thinks Delberz can do without you? You're real men, men with principles. You're men who care about this town, and do not want to see it run by bandits with badges. Am I wrong?"
    The line of halberds wavered at Pieter’s words – Ithelus could see the uncertainty on the faces of the guards, the Captain’s presence keeping them in line.

“This is your last warning!” shouted Marius in reply. “You cannot take the law into your own hands.” He looked around, desperately scanning the faces of the crowd for signs that they would see reason. “If you come any further, you leave me no choice but to use force!”

[hr]

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter’s voice rang out again.

"Haven't you had enough of losing your authority to thugs and mercenaries from out of town? Of being seen by the Hounds as fit only for the jobs they consider beneath them? Of fearing for your employment, because some political snake of a Lector thinks Delberz can do without you? You're real men, men with principles. You're men who care about this town, and do not want to see it run by bandits with badges. Am I wrong?"
    The line of halberds wavered at his words – Lothar could see the uncertainty on the faces of the guards, the Captain’s presence keeping them in line.

“This is your last warning!” shouted Marius in reply. “You cannot take the law into your own hands.” He looked around, desperately scanning the faces of the crowd for signs that they would see reason. “If you come any further, you leave me no choice but to use force!”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shook his head. This was going to end in the blood of innocents; both sides were innocent, so it was inevitable. Taking note of where Pieter was in the crowd, he made his way around the line of guards, and looked up, hoping to climb a building from which he could stay out of the riot, and -if things got worse- get closer to the agitator.

Guard should withdraw, let the Hounds stand here. Wager ten crowns that most of 'em leg it anyhow.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Pieter
    Spoiler
    Show
    'That's what has been used 'gainst us all along. We won't stand for it no more.' he calls out, 'You guards, you have all seen how badly the Hound trat us. All the illegal racketeering they do!' He tries to remain hidden in the crowd, hoping to be just another voice in the crowd.
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter found nothing suitably witty or defiant to answer. There was no simple way out of this. He had no wish to fight von Brucker's guards: they were decent men, not Hounds. Yet he could not back down, not with an angry crowd behind him. They'd see him as a coward at best or a collaborator at worst, and their morale would take a heavy blow.

The initiate decided to let the protesters decide for themselves: it was their anger, not his. He tensed, preparing to either flee or fight, but made sure not to show any obvious doubt.

"This is the part where you enact whatever plan you had," he whispered to Ithelus, edging closer to him. "You're the one who wanted to take the offensive, right?"

Edit: Ninja'd by Exeson. Post slightly edited.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-25 at 08:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting around rapidly to see if he could find a way up onto the rooftops, Lothar cursed whatever architect had started the fashion for overhanging eaves. Rushing left down a side-street, he wound his way to the back of a likely-looking building with a tangle of chimneys at different heights – levering himself up on the top of a stack of barrels, he worked his way up over the low roof of a kitchen, up a drainpipe and onto the sloping tiles. One came away under his feet, the soldier swaying where he stood for one horrible moment: regaining his balance, he scrambled forwards, hugging the tall brickwork pedestal of the chimney and looking down on the chaos below.

The crowd had kept mainly to the main road – Schoppendorfers, Wolfenburgers and other refugees, Delberz’s winding side-streets were to them an unfamiliar and daunting prospect. Scanning the sea of heads, he thought he made out Pieter’s face – and beside him, a hooded figure that could only be Ithelus. As he watched, the elf shouted out:

'That's what has been used 'gainst us all along. We won't stand for it no more. You guards, you have all seen how badly the Hound treat us. All the illegal racketeering they do!'
    “If the Hounds have broken the law they will be punished!” shouted Marius in return, a note of desperate appeal in his voice. “In the meantime, please, in the name of the law -“
    “RUBBISH!” came a shout from the crowd – it was taken up, the booing that had accompanied the Captain’s first appearance swelling up ten times as strong. With an angry roar, the mob surged forwards...

OOC: Breaking off to give you a chance to react, nothing more.

[hr]

Pieter & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    'That's what has been used 'gainst us all along. We won't stand for it no more. You guards, you have all seen how badly the Hound treat us. All the illegal racketeering they do!'
    “If the Hounds have broken the law they will be punished!” shouted Marius in return, a note of desperate appeal in his voice. “In the meantime, please, in the name of the law -“
    “RUBBISH!” came a shout from the crowd – it was taken up, the booing that had accompanied the Captain’s first appearance swelling up ten times as strong. With an angry roar, the mob surged forwards...

OOC: Breaking off to give you a chance to react, nothing more.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1125

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrambling all ill-placed roof tiles, Lothar cursed not-so-very under his breath. "Ranald's sodding balls, this is elf work. Where's Ith when you-Oh, SIGMAR!" he near-shouted, swaying as one slipped away, shattering with a ill-boded snap on the ground.

"This was a bad idea," he panted, clutching the chimney like it was his mother and he was still a small boy, legging it after chucking a dead fish at Herr Bettzichenweber's head.

He spotted Pieter, and the cloaked elf next to him and frowned. Ah. Well, it's good to be right. Now what. I could take him out, I guess, he thought, fingering his gun. Ha, and then I'll be stoned to death by an angry mob- and he's not done anything aside from being a general git. And start a riot.

The curse word that escaped Lothar's unshaven lips is not fit for printing.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-09-25 at 08:40 AM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh daaaaaamn.

Pieter briefly considered fleeing the scene, but steeled himself. If it turned to a bloodbath, it would be partly his fault for agitating the refugees earlier. Maybe he had made a dreadful mistake, but it was his responsibility to do what he could to make up for it.

He followed the angry crowd, his hands already searching his slingbag for anything he could use to heal the wounded. He would never forgive himself if innocents died by his fault.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-25 at 08:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Pieter
    Spoiler
    Show
    'The plan involved getting to the Hounds before the guards got in the way' He mutters to Pieter. Anything more he was going to say was cut off as the mob advanced.

Please stand aside, please stand aside, please stand aside

Ithelus moves with the mob, but still remains near the outside edge, ready to flee if the battle turns ugly.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-09-25 at 09:33 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    “Stand your ground!” shouted Marius, his horse rearing with agitation as the lean and hungry crowd pushed forwards – the guards did as they were told, the ragged wave of humanity breaking against the thin black line in a confusion of bodies. Having to struggle to keep his feet, Pieter fought to see what was happening, the shouting and shoving of the mob threatening to swallow the initiate whole.

Somewhere up ahead, one of the guards shouted something – a moment of utter chaos, and then a woman’s scream shattered the mad uproar of the mob, silence falling like an anvil. The wave of people pulled back, exposing a bare patch of cobbles before the guards: framed by a circle of pale, staring faces, three young men lay in spreading pools of their own blood.

Four of the guards had dropped their halberds, drawn swords in their hands – the smears of red upon the blades left no doubt as to what had just happened. Taking advantage of the shocked lull, their comrades to either side swung their weapons down, forming a spear-wall between their line and the silent crowd. Marius only stared.

“Back!” one of them shouted, fear and uncertainty lurking beneath the man’s voice. “Back, all of you, back!”

Perhaps the crowd had not thought the Guard would honestly oppose them. Perhaps they had not thought of what a sharp edge could really do to a human body. Perhaps they had not thought at all. As they faced down the gleaming speartips, the angry resolve that had driven them this far found a different expression – panic, sheer, bloody panic.

The woman who had screamed ran forwards, trying to lift one of the dying men up off the bloodstained ground – with a divided howl, the mob began to stampede backwards, fleeing back from the wavering line of steel...

[hr]

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    “Stand your ground!” shouted Marius, his horse rearing with agitation as the lean and hungry crowd pushed forwards – the guards did as they were told, the ragged wave of humanity breaking against the thin black line in a confusion of bodies. Lothar watched from his rooftop vantage-point, biting his lip: for watchmen, though, the Guard held their line well.

Somewhere in the melee below, one of the guards shouted something – there was a moment of utter chaos, and then a woman’s scream shattered the mad uproar of the mob, silence falling like an anvil. The wave of people pulled back, exposing a bare patch of cobbles before the guards: framed by a circle of pale, staring faces, three young men lay in spreading pools of their own blood.

Four of the guards had dropped their halberds, drawn swords in their hands – the smears of red upon the blades left no doubt as to what had just happened. Taking advantage of the shocked lull, their comrades to either side swung their weapons down, forming a spear-wall between their line and the silent crowd. Marius only stared.

“Back!” one of them shouted, fear and uncertainty lurking beneath the man’s voice. “Back, all of you, back!”

Perhaps the crowd had not thought the Guard would honestly oppose them. Perhaps they had not thought of what a sharp edge could really do to a human body. Perhaps they had not thought at all. As they faced down the gleaming speartips, the angry resolve that had driven them this far found a different expression – panic, sheer, bloody panic.

The woman who had screamed ran forwards, trying to lift one of the dying men up off the bloodstained ground – with a divided howl, the mob began to stampede backwards, fleeing back from the wavering line of steel...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Pieter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus cursed, he grabbed Pieter by the arm and tried to steer the man back with the crowd and the down a side alley, hoping to make the most of the confusion.
    Sigatar by Me

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragging Pieter out of the way, Ithelus ducked down a narrow alley, out of the path of the stampede - the Guard stood their ground, looking extremely unsure of themselves.

Behind their line, Marius swung himself down from his horse, seeming to break out of his stunned stupor - pushing his way through the line, he stared down at the men lying on the ground before him.

"The doctor," he said, almost mumbling the words to himself. Turning sharply to the nearest guard, he raised his voice. "Get a doctor! Doctor Rasen's, go!"

[hr]

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    In the turmoil below, Lothar caught sight of Ithelus and the initiate - the elf grabbed Pieter by the arm, pulling him sharply out of the path of the stampede into a side-alley and out of sight. Behind them, the Guard stood their ground, looking extremely unsure of themselves.

Behind their line, Marius swung himself down from his horse, seeming to break out of his stunned stupor - pushing his way through the line, he stared down at the men lying on the ground before him.

"The doctor," he said, almost mumbling the words to himself. Turning sharply to the nearest guard, he raised his voice. "Get a doctor! Doctor Rasen's, go!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #1131

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right," Lothar said firmly. "That's not good- but at least those two are out've it, so we can do somethin' constructive." The spiders in the chimney didn't seem to care about the soldier's insight.

Looking around carefully, the soldier made his best efforts to climb down safely, and duck into that same alleyway- hopefully before his quarry scampered.
    Games:

=

=

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dammit," Pieter breathed, ashen-faced. "Dammit, dammit."

His fingers fumbled for his lucky coin.

Heads, I get away from here. Tails, I go help the wounded... and get arrested.

(d2)[1]

With a strange mix of relief and guilt, he followed Ithelus away from the scene.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-25 at 12:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy moves to one of the wheels and removes its axel-pin. Checking around warily between each, he moves from wheel to wheel until all four are out. These he places in his sling-bag. If the coach departs, it might make it a hundred feet or four blocks, but very soon a wheel will fall off and the trip will be over.

With bluss held in both hands he goes to the door of the home, there to peek inside before entering with flared muzzle before him.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrambling back down the way he had come, Lothar did his best not to plummet to the ground – dropping the last few feet, he hit the ground running, hanging a left to come around on the other side of the guards’ line from where he had started.

Ithelus and Pieter were already gone, but he could see the alley into which they had vanished – running quickly across the street, he darted into the gloomy lane, looking left and right for any sign of his ‘friends’. There – in the shadows at the end of the street. Movement.

“Psst,” the soldier hissed, as loudly as he dared. “Hey. Over here!”

OOC: From now on Lothar, Ithelus & Pieter are all in one spoiler. Feel free to read their replies directly.

[hr]

Pieter & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Following the elf’s lead, Pieter turned and ran down the alley, wishing the shadows would swallow him up – he felt his heart skip a beat as he heard running footsteps at the entrance to the narrow lane, an armed silhouette looming up behind them. Instinctively shrinking into the shadows, Ithelus felt a swell of relief as he recognised Lothar’s voice.

“Psst,” the soldier hissed. “Hey. Over here!”

OOC: From here on, unite your spoilers with Lothar's.

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The inside of the house was almost pitch-black, those windows that were not shuttered so thickly grimed with dust that they might as well be – it seemed that even while he was alive, Puderbrand had not exactly taken care of the property. Understandable, considering the chances that the mutant had actually owned the place were slim to none.

Advancing slowly over the threshold, Raffy tried to take care that the floorboards did not creak under his feet – in the hallway by the staircase, a dark stain still lingered where Lothar had slain the first of the saboteur’s crew, the trapdoor to the cellar still standing open behind it. There was no sound save Raffy’s own breathing; the deep shadows seemed to lurk like a waiting assassin in every corner.

Not a sign of life to be seen. Was anyone here at all?
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-25 at 12:32 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter, Ithelus, Lothar and Mr Cat

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate let out a deep breath.

"Lothar," he hissed, not knowing whether to be happy or wary. "They let you out? Glad to see you."

He smiled a bit nervously and began to take off his clerical brown robes.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-25 at 05:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Did you just come here to boast, then? Such an effective use of your time. Surely you will find the culprit now. She said in a snide yet deadpan tone, I am most impressed.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

The boy sighs. Right. Let's do this.

Raffy moves to the first window nearest the door. He wipes the grime "clean" with the edge of one fist. Clean in this case simply means "smeared clear enough to let in light."

He moves to the next closest window doing the same - keeping his eyes toward the trapdoor and upstairs staircase at all times.

When he encounters a shuttered window he takes a moment to open the window and then the shutters. It occurs to him just then that he could open all the windows, rather than wiping their filth on his hands, to get a similar effect.

Window by window the Sparrowhawk lights up the ground floor. When he's finished he proceeds to the staircase - he expect his meeting is belowground, but he wants to make sure no ambushers await upstairs to cut him off while he is below.

Slowly and with gun ready he ascends the stairs. if there is no one immediately apparent upstairs, he opens all those windows to light the place too.

He looks around as he goes for any oil lamp or lantern - does he find one?

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    The Lector sneered.

"Insolent to the last, then," he said. "Mark my words, elf - von Brucker's boy may protect you for now, but by tomorrow, you will be mine. Then the people of Delberz will see what becomes of sorceresses."

He turned towards the door.

"One, last time - to spare yourself what is to come. The meaning of the murders. Samtzunge's location. Tell me."

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy had barely begun to clean the windows in the wall nearest the door, when he heard it - scuttling feet, or paws, somewhere close by. Head whipping round, he scanned his surroundings for the source of the noise - but saw only shadows.

"Sparrowhawk."

The voice seemed to rise out of nowhere.

"So glad-glad you could come."

It was not like any voice he had heard before – high-pitched and rapid, speaking as quickly as an excited child. Nevertheless, there was a sinister weight to its words that he did not like at all....
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-25 at 02:13 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Very well. She said with a soft sigh, lowering her head, The lady wishes to display before each and every person in the city... your complete and utter lack of virility.

She looked up again, gazing at him with disdain from beneath her dark locks... her voice snide and proud.

Are we done here then?

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    The Lector stared back at Illiiya with an icy glare: the guards stood ready to dispense summary violence, watching the priest’s face for any sign of a command.

“You would be wise to show some respect for the servants of the gods,” said von Kemperbad, softly. “You will be standing before them soon enough.”

Shaking his head, he gestured for the guards to come towards the door – stepping back over the threshold, he turned back to look at Illiiya.

“You will remain here until your punishment has been decided. Recant your heathen wickedness, and your sentence may be less severe.” He straightened his neck, looking down his nose once more at the prisoner. “You will be denied food, you will be denied water, until you have confessed.”

He turned to the guards.

“Lock it up.”

The cell door slammed, the key rattling in the lock. Once again, the echoing footsteps trailed away, leaving Illiiya in darkness, and in silence.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb