New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Lothar, Ithelus & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Out on the main street, the cohesion of the Guard line had disintegrated, the black-tabarded men trying to hold the gawping citizenry on both sides back from the fallen men – in the centre of their ragged circle, the bodies lay, a wailing woman in tattered clothes pausing occasionally to shriek at the Captain. For the second time today, Marius’ expression looked as if he had been hit with a mallet, the colour completely drained from the young noble’s face – an older, more experienced guard was trying to quietly usher the woman away, the peasant screaming and fighting furiously against the large man’s arms as he pulled her off the slowly cooling corpse of her son.

“This one’s still breathin’, sir,” said another, kneeling by the second of the bloody bodies. Nodding mutely, Marius gestured vaguely in the man’s direction. “Send – send for the doctor,” he mumbled.
    “Already done, sir,” said the guard, neutrally. “Like you said.”
    “Oh. Yes.” Marius nodded, trying not to look directly at the dead man at his feet. “That’s good.” Focussing in the middle distance, he blinked as he saw Lothar approach.

“Fischer,” he said, seeming to snap out of whatever internal nightmare he had been inhabiting. “Good – good man. There’s, um – that thing, you said, I think it might have to wait...”

OOC: Pieter and Ithelus can see this just by looking round the corner of the alley.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar and the Case of the Shocked Captain

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sir," said the soldier respectfully. "I know it's awful, sir, but they weren't listening, sir. It's not your fault." Lothar's glance to one of the guard standing nearby indicated that this wasn't quite the soldier's opinion, but he clearly respected the inexperienced nobleman too much to say otherwise. "These things happen."

"About that thing, though sir. I found someone to read it for me- I just need to know which property is belongs to someone called 'Gamow' in Leitpold Square, sir." The soldier sucked on his teeth, looking at the wounded man. "I might be able to do something for him, 'till the Doctor gets here, Captain. I know my arse from a bandage, if you'll pardon my Breton."

(1d100)[3]
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-09-26 at 09:30 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar, Ithelus & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius nodded. “Do what you can,” he said.

The guard kneeling over the wounded man stepped back – Lothar saw he was bleeding heavily from a wound below the ribs, the guard’s sword having pierced deep. Applying pressure to the wound, he held out his hand for something to bandage it with – there was a tearing of fabric behind him, and he found himself holding a long strip of black Delberz tabard, the guard struggling out of his uniform the better to tear more off.

Lothar did what he could, but the man would not survive long without the attention of a physician, that much was for sure. Prising the man’s pale, grasping fingers off his own arm as he writhed weakly on the ground, the soldier stood and faced the Captain again.

“The name, sir – Gamow?”

“Gamow,” nodded Marius, some of his composure beginning to return – “yes, Gamow. Old Delberz family.” He paused. “Gottfried von Gamow. Married to Emanuelle. No children thus far.” He frowned. “Owns a fair amount of property, I’d think. I couldn’t tell you... off the top of my head.”

He looked down at the bodies.

“Von Gamow’s an influential name. You might find him less than helpful if you accuse him of being involved... of being caught up in all this.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #1174

People. God I am so sick of spoiler tags.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shook his head. "I don't think he is, sir." He looked to the wounded man. "He needs the sawbones, sir, or a strong drink. I'faith, water couldn't hurt right now." The soldier paused and cleared his throat, nodding to the soldier who tore his tabard.

"You, um. Karl, right? Maybe you should head over to Morr's garden." Realising the grieving mother was still nearby, the soldier modulated his tone, softening it. "Get some of His men to carry those two back."

Returning to the Captain, Lothar spoke again. "Sir? I don't think von Gamow is involved, so I wouldn' mention it to anyone. Meantime, I'll just go an' see if anyone else might know what houses are his." He saluted.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar, Pieter & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius gave an understated nod, gesturing vaguely for his men to follow the soldier's instructions.

"That... sounds best," he said. "You'll be back, yes? I'll need you - I mean, to help talk to the Lector. About your friend."

He looked down at the bodies once more.

"As if this day could get any worse," he said, under his breath.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-26 at 10:00 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #1176

L I P

Spoiler
    Show
    "There's a job what- which needs doin', sir," Lothar said as he made to head back to the alleyway. "I'm not goin' anywhere. In the meantime, sir, if you don't mind my sayin'- the day could get worse. Still got a wi-sorcerer out there, an' unrest on the streets." He paused, scratching at the scar on his cheek. "Best rally the guard, eh, keep 'em focused. Look past what, uh, all this."
    Games:

=

=

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar, Ithelus & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, let's just pray it doesn't," said Marius, quietly. Folding his hands behind his back, he straightened up and nodded. "Alright. Make sure you're back at the Guard House before sunset. You know Illiiya, you can argue her corner better than I."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1178

LIP

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye, sir. I'll make sure of it." Lothar's voice was firm. With another salute, he headed for the alleyway, and the waiting rogues.
    Games:

=

=

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter, Ithelus and Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "So... two of them are dead, I take it?" said Pieter, slightly pale. "I, uh, I know it's no use to express regrets now, but I never wanted things to get that violent." He put a hand on Lothar's shoulder, but looked at Ithelus. "If we manage to solve the murders before they execute Illiiya, I swear to Ranald I'll do everything I can to save her, no matter the consequences to myself."

He straightened, his face grim.

"Let's get down to business. I still think we should try to ask around for von Gamow's house at Leitpold Square. Nobles like to show off — they usually want everyone to know which overlarge house is theirs."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-26 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

10. - Top - End - #1180

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar nodded distractedly, frowning. "Aye, that's the plan."

"You haven't heard, though?" He looked to Ithelus, and back to Pieter. "They're not goin' to kill Illiiya. I spoke t' the Lector, an' to Marius. I said that Illiiya was with me all last night, gaming at the Carter's- and that to prove she weren't the one, we could have someone watch her all night and if there were still deaths- then it ain't her. Simple."

He looked between the two of them again. "This idiot riot wasn't meant to be a distraction, was it?" He glanced at Pieter. "If you didn't want things to get violent, y'shouldn't've incited people to riot, you idiot. Just lucky for you they legged it when they did- lots of 'em, only a few guards, blood spilled- I've never been in one, but I hear they get a lot worse."

He shook head head, exasperated. "Whatever. Illiiya's safe, so long as I get back by sunset to talk t' the Lector. Let's go to Leitpold Square, 'less Ith's got a better idea."
    Games:

=

=

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy frowns but straightens his back, loosing his practiced slouch for his full height. He reaches into his satchel, holding up a hand of crowns.

"There's no reward on my head yet, but I'll pay a reward this second to all who stand aside and forget I was here. I intend to live long enough to kill the sorcerer. A crown apiece plus five to whoever takes the horse. Step lively, Delberz!"

If they continue to block the way and clamour for his head, he mounts up and prepares to go through.... with pistol drawn.

((If I need to go through them, I'm hoping to move at more of a simple walk this time, Mr. Bullet Train GM, as there's no need to break my neck before they even get a noose on it... at most, switch to a trot once in the street. Hoping this'll make the ride check easier if it's needed again, and prevent serious injury if it fails. But hopefully they take the bribe.))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "No reward yet," came a voice from near the front of the crowd. "That's as good as a confession, that is!"
    "Law-abiding citizen, I am!"
    A general murmur to that effect rippled through the gaggle of onlookers, none of them wanting to be the one to actually apprehend the heavily-armed individual standing before them: looking from left to right in search of a single sympathetic face, Raffy heard the side-door behind his stolen horse creak fractionally open. Looking out of the corner of his eye, he saw a delicate white hand protrude through the crack, making a beckoning gesture out of sight of the crowd...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"The law won't help you when the rats come for you!" Raffy raises his voice defiantly. "When the murders come down this street again, remember you could've helped the only man who's after the real sorcerer!"

His anger gets the best of him, but he's still not the sort to harm the ignorant citizens. As he spills the crowns back into his satchel, he yells a mighty, "HEE-YA!" and brings the palm of his hand down on the horse's flank with a furious hit. As the horse rears into a run toward the gathered citizens, Raffy turns and bolts the opposite way - toward the open door.

You've gotta stop going into unknown houses, he chides himself, but he hasn't much choice.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-26 at 07:39 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The assembled burghers’ faces transformed into masks of fear as the horse galloped towards them, the citizenry of Delberz diving to either side to make way for the charging mare. Taking advantage of the chaos, Raffy darted towards the door – as he came within reach, the white hand pushed it wide open, seizing him by the front of the shirt and pulling him into the darkness inside.

The door slammed behind him with a heavy clunk – there was the flare of a match, and light blossomed as a candle was lit. It illuminated a slender figure in a long, dark green riding cloak, the deep hood concealing their face in shadow - that was, until Maria raised the candle to look into Raffy’s eyes.

“What are you doing?” she whispered, wide-eyed. “Come on! This way.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Emotions flood Raffy, turning his heart in three different ways at once. He wants to berate her for not leaving town, tell her he's dying, and weep that she's still alive.

Instead he throws his arms around her so suddenly it almost sends the candle careening into the darkness, and places his lips upon hers in the ravenous kiss of someone whose true love has come back from the grave.

"I thought you..." his words trail off as he breaks off and looks at her glorious face again. "You... Right, let's move!"

As quickly as the Sparrowhawk broke, he is composed again and ready to make his escape with her.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-26 at 07:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria nodded, moving swiftly to throw a bolt across the door she had opened to let Raffy through – motioning for him to follow, she led the way to another door in the back of the house, setting down her candle and stepping out into an alley barely wide enough for the two of them to pass in single file. Locking the door behind them, she threw the key away, the little slip of iron clattering between the bars of a drain cover before tumbling down into the darkness.

Pulling her hood down over her face once again, she turned right, her long cloak tailing out behind her as she headed north at a surprising pace. Ducking and weaving through the back streets, it was not long before they had left the uproar of Raffy’s escape far behind...

OOC: Do you follow her to wherever she’s taking you, or is there a point at which you wish to stop and talk?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

((Super kiss just gets a nod? Wow she is one tough customer.))

Raffy cringes as the key finds its way into a drain. The rats'll have that, he thinks - which reminds him of the carriage axel-pins in his satchel. He wants to get rid of them but decides it is best not to leave any clue to pursuers that they are on the right track.

((He'll go with her as far as she goes, and if it is less than the equivalent of three blocks or so, he'll suggest they go *much* farther.))

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    North, still north – they crossed New Street at as close to a run as they could, while remaining inconspicuous. Ducking back into the narrower streets, they watched from the shadows as a troop of six or seven Hounds ran past up the broad road, headed in the direction of the centre of town. Something was stirring in Delberz, something other than Raffy’s own misadventures – even through the fear and adrenaline of their own adrenaline, he could sense it in the faces and movements of the people they passed, almost no-one paying the pair a second glance after they were a block or so away from the scene of their escape.

North, past the Neumarket, over the Walden Road – a succession of winding back streets, and Maria turned towards the river, still moving at a rate of knots. Their route had deliberately skirted the town centre, but Raffy could tell something was happening in that direction – here and there, he heard agitated shouts lifting over the rooftops, and all around one could see the everyday ebb and flow of the city’s populace stall and judder. If Maria noticed, she did not let it touch her steely composure, practically towing Raffy along behind her.

Behind the Carter’s Rest, over another main street at a quick dash, and Maria’s forced march began to slow – slowing to a gentle walk in the richer streets to the north of Leitpold square, Maria turned and looked at Raffy, finally coming to a halt. Her own brilliant green eyes gazing up into his, she gently shook her head, a white-toothed, disbelieving smile splitting her face.

“You,” she said, “are mad.” Leaning forwards, she kissed him briefly on the lips before drawing back – looking up, she scanned the houses around her, seeming to catch her bearings extremely quickly. Never having seen her outside the rarefied atmosphere of her grand house and carriage, Raffy was surprised by the surety with which she seemed to know the city streets.

“Rafale, please don’t be hurt – I’m going to need to blindfold you,” she said, quickly. “I can’t keep you where I’m about to take you, and if they catch you – you understand?”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((Super kiss just gets a nod? Wow she is one tough customer.))
    You’re running away! Where’s your sense of urgency, man? :P
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-26 at 08:16 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

“You... are mad.”
    *kiss*

Raffy grinned. "Funny, I've heard that a few times before, but it never sounded so sweet."

He gives her a kiss back. "And that 'templar' is nothing to fear anymore."

"M--" he thinks the better of using her name out loud. "Fox, you need to know something. The baroness is dead." He shifts uncomfortably. "Ah, whoever controls these rats... they cut her throat. And tried to frame me, hence our entourage back there."

He lowers his head a bit. "It might comfort you to know they consider you their worst enemy. I've never heard such a fine commendation of someone's moral character before."

“Rafale, please don’t be hurt – I’m going to need to blindfold you. I can’t keep you where I’m about to take you, and if they catch you – you understand?”
    He nods. "I understand, but...." he shakes his head. "It sounds like you're staying among friends. Society, nobles, I don't care... that's not where either of us should be right now. All of your associates will have their homes searched."

He has a bright suggestion as to a place that won't be searched, but hesitates to come out and tell her they should go to a whorehouse.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

You’re running away! Where’s your sense of urgency, man? :P
    Hey I'm a Romantic! Do you think Heathcliff was all business when he.... uh.... okay, poor example.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-27 at 02:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "M--" he thinks the better of using her name out loud. "Fox, you need to know something. The baroness is dead." He shifts uncomfortably. "Ah, whoever controls these rats... they cut her throat. And tried to frame me, hence our entourage back there."

He lowers his head a bit. "It might comfort you to know they consider you their worst enemy. I've never heard such a fine commendation of someone's moral character before."
    Maria stopped, and stared.

"Powers above, you spoke to him?" she breathed. "How are you still alive?"

She shook her head, dispelling the shock of Raffy's revelation. "I can explain everything," she said, decidedly. "Well, maybe not everything, but a lot. We need to speak somewhere private, though."

He nods. "I understand, but...." he shakes his head. "It sounds like you're staying among friends. Society, nobles, I don't care... that's not where either of us should be right now. All of your associates will have their homes searched."
    Maria smiled her winning smile. "When you move in the circles I do, Rafale, I'm afraid your friends tend to own more than just their own houses. Don't worry. It's safe."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"Powers above, you spoke to him? How are you still alive?"
    "Well sure, it just seemed polite to pay a visit and see if we could work things out."

"When you move in the circles I do, Rafale, I'm afraid your friends tend to own more than just their own houses. Don't worry. It's safe."
    Raffy is dubious. Her smile, as well as her hint at social mobility appeals to the ambitious young burgher. Yet part of him feels angry that she is still in town at all.

"Fox, when I saw her, with her throat cut, she was face down. I thought.... I thought she was you." He looks away. "I don't want you to see me when I, uh..."

He looks back at her. "Doc says I'm dying. I want you to leave town."

((tag, you're it - and after her response, I'll take the blindfold and go wherever she's taking me, if that's still her plan))

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-26 at 08:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Fox, when I saw her, with her throat cut, she was face down. I thought.... I thought she was you." He looks away. "I don't want you to see me when I, uh..."

He looks back at her. "Doc says I'm dying. I want you to leave town."
    "Dying?" said Maria. Furrowing her brow, she looked closely into Raffy's face, seeing he was serious.

"We'll see about that," she muttered, as if the doctor was being highly unfair in some way. Shaking her head, she stepped back. "I can't leave Delberz, Rafale. I won't. For the same reason you won't. And the same reason that you won't die. I won't allow it," she joked, with a weak smile.

"Now come on. We don't have much time."

Reaching into the recesses of her cloak, she produced a silky black blindfold - Raffy allowed her to tie it over his eyes, Maria gently pulling the knot tight behind his head before leading him forwards. Before long, he was utterly lost - he couldn't tell if they had gone far, or just around the block, but they had jinked and swerved through so many turns between the houses that as far as the Sparrowhawk knew, up was down and left was right.

Down a short flight of stone steps, Maria holding his arm as she guided him down - there was the gentle click of a key in a lock, and a door hinged open with a slow creak, the little light that filtered through his blindfold cutting out as he was led inside.

The door closed softly behind him - wordlessly, the blindfold was removed from his eyes. He found himself in a dim room, low-ceilinged but broad: his eyes adjusting to the candle-lit gloom, he saw familiar faces looking back at him in something like amazement. There was Mr Vanya, the Kislevite playwright, Mr Halstadt the composer, the woman Emanuelle - all faces from that night after the Baron's reception. It seemed so long ago now - when the Templar had first appeared, when his hopes for Maria had first been kindled. It was hard to believe it had only been a matter of days.

"Maria!" said Emanuelle, whirling round with an alarmed, almost frightened face. "Where have you been?"
    "Rescuing this fool from the Guard," said Maria, affectionately. "Where's Johann, my dear?"
    "Oh - he's gone out to get some things," said Emanuelle, still seeming nervous. She paused as she felt Maria's eyes on her. "He'll be back soon."
    "Tor's bolt, Maria," whispered Dmitri, staring at Raffy in amazement. "You brought him here? He - he killed the Templar!"
    "And did Delberz a service in the act," said Maria, softly. "For now, however, I think the poor boy needs to rest. Move along, will you?"

The playwright scrambled up from where he had been sitting - the nobles seemed to have been doing their best to make the subterranean room habitable by their own standards, and Vanya had been seated on a small chaise-longue. Helping Raffy over to it, Maria sat him down, before straightening up and looking around the room.

"Emanuelle, fetch Rafale some water, please," she said, calmly. Taking a seat herself, she looked straight into Raffy's eyes. "Rafale, before - before anything, you have to tell us exactly what just happened. Please - did he say anything else? Did you see his face?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-26 at 09:26 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy, the Hawk-Rockin' Rocker Hawk of Sparrowhawkin' Sparhawkery

Spoiler
    Show

...And the same reason that you won't die. I won't allow it," she joked, with a weak smile.
    To many commoners, the woman's tone might have seemed arrogant to the point of daft; to think that by her simple stubbornness she could avert death. But to the Sparrowhawk, her sentiment not only arouses his admiration, but sets his heart at ease with a profound sense of comfort. Maria will take care of you.

Once inside the room, Raffy looks around sharply. He seems to expect that every shadow could hold some threat, whether cold-hearted citizen or pouncing rat. His eyes alight several times on Dmitri before he finds the words he wants to speak.

"Mister Vanya, please forgive my behaviour before. Thank you for going to the house with Maria yesterday. You're a good man."

As Maria leads him across the room to the chaise-lounge, he is already rifling through his belongings. He doesn't seem ready to rest at all. He allows himself to be seated but sets about prying at the lid of his new cannister of gunpowder. He works as he speaks....

"It's almost evening. The rats'll be about soon. If any of you haven't heard--" he looks sharply about from face to face as he slides the fuse-cord inside, "--or don't yet believe, the sorcerer controls rats. They can get in anywhere."

Inspecting his petard, he taps the lid back in place and glances at the nearest candle, evaluating how many hours it has left in it.

"One of them found me while I was asleep earlier, and they sent their messenger for me. They want me dead, and if any of you aren't prepared to fight a swarm of rats, you should either turn me out or take your own leave."

He sets his petard on the floor in front of the chaise and then folds his tattered overcoat and places it on an empty chair. The droopy hat goes with it. He shakes out his new flatcap and checks that the plume isn't frumpy.

"I suppose that they won't want to kill me directly. If I'm found covered in rat bites it'll only tell the Guard that I was right. The rest of you however - I doubt you can count on your safety."

He removes his bluss from its holster and lays it across his lap. The boy is actually preparing for a nap - but seems to fully expect he'll awake in a war zone. He checks each pistol in turn.

"As for what happened, they gave me a message to meet at the mutant's house. I went, and there was--" he suddenly becomes sensitive to his audience and softens his matter-of-fact tone. "There was Lady Elena von Brucker, murdered. They killed her moments before I arrived. Her coach was out front, though how they lured her there, I don't know."

He accepts the water and, remembering the doctor's orders, drinks it dry. "May I have more water, please?" he asks without segue.

"Someone locked me in the room with her and ran out to call for the guard. I never saw his face while we were speaking. There was a rat there too, but it was a human hand that had killed her. Maybe the rat and the man were one and the same. For all I know he can change shape."

Drinking more water, he goes on.

"So here's the thing. This rat-conjurer, or whatever, was helping us in the investigation for a bit. Sent us messages giving us clues. I know it was the same man. He wanted us to catch Puderbrand, the mutant. I guess their little witch's guild or whatever, which calls itself the Court, wanted to call it a day after blowing up the old church, but Puderbrand was planning on blowing up the new one too, against orders. So they used us to get their revenge. He said he was quite pleased with how useful we were."

The note of distaste in his voice is unmistakable.

"But he was very upset that I fell in with the Lady Samtzunge here--" he softens and gives her an affectionate look as he calls her by her formal name, "and absolutely outraged that I slew the so-called witch hunter. Not too happy about me advising the Captain to kill rats, either. So all of that tells me I'm on the right track so far, at least for finding the culprit. Not so much for keeping my own hide intact."

His gaze now bounces briefly back to Vanya. "You should know, too, that the hunter fabricated evidence and coerced the Hounds into lying about how they came across some of it. He was intentionally leading the investigation away from the true criminal. Why, I don't know. But he wasn't just on the wrong trail with the best of intentions; he was protecting the sorcerer."

He stretches to crack his back and finishes off some more water.

"Has Marius brought the Lector in for questioning yet?"

He's serious. Which makes it all the more ridiculous.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-27 at 01:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus, Pieter and Lothar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus remained mute nut nodded at Lothar's words, an expression of relief passing across his face.

'... They wanted to riot, don't go blaming yourself. They knew the dangers, heck look at what they did to that Hound.'
    He tries hard not to chuckle at the man's plight. 'Let's get going.'
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #1195

Lothar, Ithelus, Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar grinned at the elf. "Aye. That was pretty funny." He shook his head, still grinning. "Poor bastard."
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter leaned down to scratch Mr Cat's back. "In favor of going to Leitpold Square immediately, your feline majesty?"

The cat purred.

"I believe that's a yes. Let's hurry, there's still a lot of things to do today."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The assembled nobles exchanged significant glances at Raffy’s words. Face full of sincerity, Maria turned back to him.

“You needn’t worry about the rats. Thanks to Marius’ notice, the whole town knows – I believe there were witnesses last night. The whole town was buzzing with it – until you gave them something else to talk about this morning.” She gestured around them. “We chose this place because it would be easy to keep them out. Fritz here has been over every inch of it already. It’s safe.”

The others nodded.

"Has Marius brought the Lector in for questioning yet?"
    There was a surprised pause.

“That’s... not going to happen, Rafale,” said Maria, slowly. “Much as we might wish it might. Marius doesn’t have the power. He never did.”

Rising, she placed a hand on Raffy’s shoulder. “For now, you need to rest.” She smiled. “You’ll be no use to anyone if you keep going until you drop. Try to snatch some sleep, and we’ll wake you soon enough.” She paused. “There are some things that you ought to hear.”

[hr]

Lothar, Ithelus & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading in the direction of Leitpold Square, the reunited trio did their best to navigate the agitated crowds, the news of the bloodshed in the Altmarket spreading like ripples on a pond. More than once, Pieter heard the word “massacre” flitting past him, “murder” and “rebellion” also seeming to be gaining currency.

Sitting straight along the centre-line of the old town, Leitpold Square was a quieter, tidier place than the ramshackle slums around the Neumarket – tradesmen’s houses, old and half-timbered, ringed the cobbled square, a weathered statue of the eponymous emperor rising in its centre.

“Von Gamow?” said the first burgher they happened to ask. “That’s a noble name, isn’t it? I’d’ve thought a man like that would live more down Castle way.”
    “Aye, they’ve got holdings hereabouts,” said another. “Old family. Pots of money, I heard. The old man’s big house is down the south end of town, though – might be some of the folk around here lease from him, but I wouldn’t know which houses were his.”

Meditating for a moment on this information, Lothar and Ithelus began to ask around for where exactly the 'big house' might be found.

“The von Gamow place?” The man they had accosted scratched his stubbly chin. “Aye, down by the Baron’s Garden, it is. You might want to watch yourselves, if you’re headed there, though,” he said, looking the three of them up and down. “Von Gamow’s a fierce one, and he doesn’t take well to the common people.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-27 at 08:08 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "If my instinct is right," mused Pieter, "the lady von Gamow probably disappeared along with Vanya, without telling her husband. I think herr von Gamow will be cooperative if we show him the remains of the letter."

OOC: Okay, so do we go to von Gamow's place, or try to find which house he leases in Leitpold Square?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #1199

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "I agree, although the Captain warned us not to imply anythin' about the Society. So we should just tell him we'll look into it for him- or better yet, avoid him an' ask to see the guy who manages his estates for him."
    Games:

=

=

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar, Pieter & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Leaving the emperor Leitpold’s boldly-posed statue behind, the three of them struck out southwards: down the busy Sigmarstrasse, into Tempelplatz, where the dipping sun was beginning to make the gargantuan shadow of the Cathedral stretch out across the square, like a great black hand reaching for the river.

Before the oaken doors of the great temple, a troop of Hounds had gathered – as they passed by, the intrepid trio saw the black carriage of the Lector pull into the square, wheels rattling on the cobbles. They quickened their pace as they saw the coach come to a halt, two guards stepping down to make way for the high priest – as they cut across behind the Morrgarten, they caught the briefest glimpse of von Kemperbad emerging, the tall man’s severe black robes showing starkly amidst the white ribbons of his henchmen.

Around the high Morrgarten wall; across Baron’s Walk, the castle mound itself rising on their left. In the light of day, the little castle seemed a rather sad affair: when the scaffolding had been cleared from its belltower, the Cathedral would outshine it like a queen beside a beggar-woman. Drawing nearer to the nobles’ park, they began to ask around again, seeking out the specific house that was their destination. Finally, they found themselves standing before it.

The place was almost as grand as Samtzunge House, and twice as forbidding: two stone lions stood one to either side of the porch, each holding a carved shield that bore the rampant griffon of the von Gamow heraldry. A huge brass knocker adorned the front door, held in the metal beak of an elaborate eagle’s-head mounting. The masonry of the house itself looked almost as ancient as the Castle, streaked with centuries of weathering, and worn down by the efforts of generations of servants to keep it clean. It rose between its neighbours like an Altdorf nobleman at some backwater ball, daring them not to keep their respectful distance from its high walls.

There was presumably a servant’s entrance somewhere around the back. Alternatively, the daunting front door loomed directly before them...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb