New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya pulled herself to her feet, seeming ALMOST grateful to see people again. It had been so.... quiet. Her new louse friend was less talkative than she had hoped.

Very well. She said in a low voice, holding out her arms for whatever restraints they had for her. I am ready.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Leading Raffy through the door to Magda’s narrow bedroom, Maria closed it behind them – over his shoulder, Raffy heard Emanuelle hesitantly trying to strike up conversation with the low-born woman.

“So, um – Magda... what is it you do?”

The door cut out the noise, Maria looking round at him. As bedrooms went, Raffy had seen larger broom-cupboards: a straw-stuffed mattress rested on a rickety timber frame, jammed so tightly between two walls that one end was lifted slightly up off the floorboards. The ceiling slanted at a forty-five degree angle, forcing the tall Sparrowhawk over to one side of the room: through the small, iron-framed window, he could see the gloom of twilight setting in, tiny flakes of snow beginning to drift down from the clouded sky as the temperature fell.

The room put them at such close quarters that it would have been highly uncomfortable, had they not already known each other as they did – setting down the sword Raffy had given her on the bed, Maria gestured for him to sit beside her, looking around the room as if watching for something. Seeming satisfied with her surroundings, she looked up into Raffy’s eyes.

“’Raffy’?” she asked, with a curious little smile. “I like it. Why didn’t you tell me before?”
    Budging up to make space for him, she took on a more serious tone.
    “You remember I said earlier that we needed to talk. I think that’s now.” She glanced down. “Before you talk to Magda, or to Klaus.”
    Folding her hands in her lap, she drew in a breath, seeming to meditate on where to begin.
    “Did your parents take you to the temple, when you were growing up here?” she asked. “The old temple, I mean. Or any of the others – the other gods.”

[hr]

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Once again, Illiiya’s wrists were shackled, the two men hefting her out of the cell and locking it behind them. Bits of dirty straw still clinging to her dress, she was marched back up the dungeon stair – along a corridor, up another stairway, through a hall, down, left up. Delberz Castle seemed to be have designed by an architect who had just returned from a night on the town.

At length, they came to their final destination: a door at the top of a narrow stone stairwell, the landing outside already occupied. Waiting in silence, two more guards stood ramrod-straight to either side of three dishevelled-looking figures: Illiiya raised her eyebrows as she recognised Maria’s ancient manservant, Alfons’ milky eyes squinting up at her with the look of a defeated man. Behind him, a young, frightened-looking girl and a lanky, frightened-looking boy stood – all three of them had shackles on their wrists, the same as Illiiya.

One of the waiting guards raised a finger to his lips as she approached – through the closed door, she heard the familiar, dagger-sharp baritone of the Lector cutting through the air.

“...I wish to put them to the question. Like the ‘sparrowhawk’, the elf worked for your son, my lord. As his investigator. I believe he has brought this man to plead her innocence.”

A second voice, hoarse and quiet, was just audible through the thick oak.

“Speak your piece.”

OOC: To be continued when I receive input from another player, although you should of course feel free to reply. In the meantime, could I get a mystery Int test off Illiiya, please?
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-29 at 04:01 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy sat down beside Maria, plainly unclear on what is about to happen. His arm nonetheless ends up behind her back, ensconcing her smaller body with his own as he turns to look at her.

“’Raffy’?” she asked, with a curious little smile. “I like it. Why didn’t you tell me before?”
    He tilts his head a bit as if in shrug. "I use both. Rafale... just sounds more official." He pauses. "Either one sounds good when you say it."

Budging up to make space for him, she took on a more serious tone.
    “You remember I said earlier that we needed to talk. I think that’s now.” She glanced down. “Before you talk to Magda, or to Klaus.”
    “Did your parents take you to the temple, when you were growing up here?” she asked. “The old temple, I mean. Or any of the others – the other gods.”
    He squints as he thinks of how best to explain. "Only on Year's Blessing and the other holidays. Dad never had much use for religion, he said. Mum believed you could pray wherever. We would get a lot of nursery tails about Sigmar and Ulric. Well.... the other temples though... I used to hang around them a lot with Lily--"

It sounds like he swallows as he says the name, as if it hasn't come out of his mouth in a long time. Of course, it was just last night he told Maria the story. But this is a fonder tale.

"She liked to go to the temple of Ulric. I didn't. Funny, I guess. I would walk through the Morrgarten a lot. We would have our swordfights there, she and I. Not too respectful, but...."

He trails off, sensing that whatever Maria needs to tell him is more important than the specifics of his answer.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria smiled briefly to herself.

“Your parents sound like good people,” she said, quietly. “You were lucky.”

She looked down at the floor again.

“I’ve been to Nuln and Marienburg – and places in between - and everywhere I’ve been, the Church of Sigmar has always been the same. Arrogant. Domineering. Wrong. The man you killed today was a monster, and the Church made him – raised him up as a hero, even. He probably believed he was doing Sigmar’s work... who knows how many innocents he dragged to the stake in just the same way.” She leaned in against Raffy, comfortable in the narrow space. “I still haven’t thanked you for saving me. If you hadn’t been there last night, I would never have known – I mean, the thieves might have gone unnoticed.” She shuddered. “I’ve seen what the Templars do – to scholars, to ignorant old Strigany women, to anyone. Their power comes from fear, and they’ll do anything to feed it. That’s what it takes, to rise to the top among those... those starched priests. It isn't a few bad apples. It’s Kemperbads all the way up.”

Raffy found himself looking straight into Maria’s green eyes.

“There was a priest called Richter Kless, who argued that Sigmar should be the sole god of the Empire – that all other gods should be outlawed. There are still people in the Church who think he was right. The same people who take hold of our lives from the moment we’re born, who fill us full of fear and terror of the Enemy Within, who tortured and killed people like your friend – like Illiiya – for centuries; who still do, when they can get away with it.” She paused, seeming concerned that she might be losing him – breathing out another fleeting smile, she looked away.

“I’m saying this – about priests – because I have a confession to make. I want you to understand, the reason I didn’t tell you before, the reason my friends and I” – her eyes flicked in the direction of Emanuelle and the others, outside – “kept it secret. If we’d spoken out, we’d have been accused ourselves, just for knowing. Sigmar forbid that the people should educate themselves about the threats the Church is supposed to protect us from.”

“Raffy, the sorcerer in the house – the thing that killed the Baroness. We’ve known about him since the killings began.” She paused, her eyes flicking over his face as she searched for his reaction. “Please don’t be angry – but we knew. These murders – the rats – they’re a pattern, it’s a plan. And the Lector is in it, up to the neck. That’s what I’ve been trying to achieve, with the Society, with everything: whatever he’s planning, it all revolves around the Cathedral. I love this city, and if that tower is completed... something terrible is going to happen here.”

“The Society wouldn’t understand. They’re all such educated young men, so full of their own rationality – a struggle for liberty, for principles, that they can get behind. The truth... they’d back off, leave it for the Church to handle. Von Kemperbad would cover it up, root out anyone who spoke out. He’s already doing it.”

She placed a hand on his.

“Please, when Klaus comes – tell him only what he needs to know. Magda too, if she asks your story. We can still win this, with their help, but they need to believe in what they’re fighting for.”

Looking into his eyes, she drew back a little, smiling a small, uncertain smile. “I asked you to trust me, not too long ago. I thought it was time I trusted in you.” She straightened her back. “You probably have questions. I’ll answer them, I promise. Just – promise me you won’t be angry.”

[hr]

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Standing on the landing outside the door, Illiiya realised she recognised the girl too – it was the servant she had seen briefly in the drawing room of Samtzunge House, that night after the Baron’s reception. It seemed an eternity ago now.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-29 at 05:22 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya looked at the girl for a moment, her gaze steady and curious. Then, in her traditional blurting fashion, spoke.

It was you, wasn't it?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Shh!" hissed one of the guards. The girl seemed to recoil from Illiiya's gaze, a look of terror crossing her silent face.

"Leave the girl alone, elf," rumbled one of the nearer guards, his voice kept to a low, threatening murmur. "She can't talk. One of them mutes."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya narrowed her eyes at the guardsman, but held her tongue. That had more or less answered her question anyhow. Quietly, she simply waited.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

“Your parents sound like good people,” she said, quietly. “You were lucky.”
    "Well, Dad left after Lily was killed. Not so much ran off as just gave up. He drank like a fiend after that. I guess... I guess he could still be around. Mum said he probably died in a gutter, but I keep thinking I'm gonna see him somewhere. I've avoided going to his old drinking den."

Maria begins to deliver her indictment of the Church. Raffy finds nothing to disagree with. She pauses, seeming concerned that she might be losing him – but he is right there with her, listening intently. Maria may not know it yet, but Raffy loves to learn - as a child, it was listening to stories, but now he finds himself ever more drawn to scholars and intelligentsia. He pays them - and her, as she explains about this Reverend Kless - an almost reverential respect and tries to memorise what they say.

As she smiles and looks away, he nods eagerly to encourage her to go on.

“I’m saying this – about priests – because I have a confession to make. I want you to understand, the reason I didn’t tell you before, the reason my friends and I kept it secret. If we’d spoken out, we’d have been accused ourselves, just for knowing. Sigmar forbid that the people should educate themselves about the threats the Church is supposed to protect us from.”
    His eyes narrow as he listens to her justification and waits for what he assumes will be unpleasant to hear.

“Raffy, the sorcerer in the house – the thing that killed the Baroness. We’ve known about him since the killings began.” She paused, her eyes flicking over his face as she searched for his reaction.
    He takes a deep, heavy breath and unconsciously leans an inch or two farther back from her - but if his arm stiffens at all around her, his eyes show no outrage, no judgment, at least yet. Keeping a level expression he nods again, a bit more slowly this time, and waits to hear what she will say.

“Please don’t be angry – but we knew. These murders – the rats – they’re a pattern, it’s a plan. And the Lector is in it, up to the neck. That’s what I’ve been trying to achieve, with the Society, with everything: whatever he’s planning, it all revolves around the Cathedral. I love this city, and if that tower is completed... something terrible is going to happen here.”
    "Why didn't you tell... someone? Do something?"

“The Society wouldn’t understand. They’re all such educated young men, so full of their own rationality – a struggle for liberty, for principles, that they can get behind. The truth... they’d back off, leave it for the Church to handle. Von Kemperbad would cover it up, root out anyone who spoke out. He’s already doing it.”
    "Right..." he nods. "But why not tell... Marius?" He's hesitant to bring up her former admirer, but it would be the most sensible thing to do if neither Church nor Society could be trusted.

((tag))

She placed a hand on his.

“Please, when Klaus comes – tell him only what he needs to know. Magda too, if she asks your story. We can still win this, with their help, but they need to believe in what they’re fighting for.”
    "Well I... do you believe in what they're fighting for? You make it sound like it's all a ruse."

((tag))

Looking into his eyes, she drew back a little, smiling a small, uncertain smile. “I asked you to trust me, not too long ago. I thought it was time I trusted in you.” She straightened her back. “You probably have questions. I’ll answer them, I promise. Just – promise me you won’t be angry.”
    ((answer pending on the above))

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-29 at 06:13 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right..." he nods. "But why not tell... Marius?" He's hesitant to bring up her former admirer, but it would be the most sensible thing to do if neither Church nor Society could be trusted.
    Maria gave a quiet, short laugh.

“Poor, dear Marius. Raffy – do you really think he would have heard me out? A woman, accusing a powerful member of Sigmar’s clergy, of things that I could only know by breaking the tenets of their damned cult in the first place – learning things they’ve forbidden, listening to people they’d rather hang or burn. Marius the same as the rest of us, Raffy; he’s been brought up to be afraid of the dark. Not to mention that I'd already... upset him. A little."

She shook her head. “Besides, even if he hadn’t turned me in, it wouldn’t have helped. The Guard are thief-catchers – if he’d gone against the Lector, the Lector would have squashed him like a bug. Might still, considering what you did to that dreadful man Jagrun. And then he would have been on to us. You do understand, don’t you? Church, state – there’s no help to be had from any of it. They have their claws through the whole, the whole rotten hierarchy.”

"Well I... do you believe in what they're fighting for? You make it sound like it's all a ruse."
    Maria looked almost wounded.

“Of course I do, Raffy,” she said, quietly. “We all do. That’s how we learned – why we dared to go against the word of the Church in the first place.”

She looked directly into his eyes.

“You want to know what I believe? That there is nothing more sacred than our right to be free. Harm no others in the pursuit of your own pleasure, and you do no wrong.”

She glanced towards the narrow window, where the blurred silhouette of the Cathedral tower was just visible through the thickening dusk, and the drifting snow.

“Black and white. I’ve never been one for absolute morality, but here, it really is – liberty against slavery. Living a life, or dying a slow death.” Her hesitant, apologetic air had evaporated, real conviction in her voice. “That’s what the Society believe too. Keeping them focussed on that truth above the others doesn’t make it any less true. If you were a general, going into battle – would you tell your men everything about the enemy? About, about how many spears they had, or what they planned to do when they had won? Or would you simply tell them the battle had to be fought?”

“We’ve done everything we can to stop this monstrosity being constructed. That’s what Klaus’ meeting is about, what we’ve been working for – the people are on the brink of revolt. The baroness is dead, and though I don’t know what part that plays in their plans, it certainly helps ours – the masons won’t work for nothing, and their money came from her father’s riches.” She paused, lowering her voice further. “My friends and I – Dmitri and the others – we’ve been working, too, to break the sorcerer’s design. It’s why I had to flee from Jagrun: to him, any understanding of such matters would be a sign of guilt, whether we were acting against the city, or to defend it. It’s why we owe you such a debt.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

If you were a general, going into battle – would you tell your men everything about the enemy? About, about how many spears they had, or what they planned to do when they had won? Or would you simply tell them the battle had to be fought?
    Raffy doesn't say anything out loud, but by the look on his face, his answer is clear. Put that way, he approves of her approach.

“We’ve done everything we can to stop this monstrosity being constructed. That’s what Klaus’ meeting is about, what we’ve been working for – the people are on the brink of revolt. The baroness is dead, and though I don’t know what part that plays in their plans, it certainly helps ours – the masons won’t work for nothing, and their money came from her father’s riches.” She paused, lowering her voice further. “My friends and I – Dmitri and the others – we’ve been working, too, to break the sorcerer’s design. It’s why I had to flee from Jagrun: to him, any understanding of such matters would be a sign of guilt, whether we were acting against the city, or to defend it. It’s why we owe you such a debt.”
    Raffy still manages to be surprised by how pragmatic she is, and how frankly she will spealk when no hostile ears are listening.

"Maria--" both his hands alight upon her shoulders, so quickly it might well startle her; he looks into her eyes. "Maria, I can't be angry with you."

((cue kissing and pushing her up against the wall of the cramped room))

"You're my Fox."

((yada yada, kissing, etc.))

"The only questions I have," he says eventually, "Are to make sure I can plan this right. I trust you, Maria."

There's a long silence.

"So... don't take this the wrong way." He looks sidelong at her. "The Society... did they have anything to do with bombing the Church? Or the attempt to bomb the new one?"

His other questions are:

"How did you find out about the sorcerer?"

"What is he trying to gain with all this?"

"I need to get into the Castle to go after the Lector. Do you want to come along?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-29 at 07:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria still seemed rather receptive to his advances - extricating herself, she smiled a mischievous smile, motioning with her eyes in the direction of the door.

"Spare Magda her blushes," she said, suppressing a chuckle. Shifting back to put a respectful distance between them, she listened to Raffy's questions.

"So... don't take this the wrong way." He looks sidelong at her. "The Society... did they have anything to do with bombing the Church? Or the attempt to bomb the new one?"
    Maria shook her head. "The Society knew nothing."

"How did you find out about the sorcerer?"
    Reaching into her riding-cloak, Maria produced the small book Raffy had seen her take from the undercroft.

"I made some friends in Nuln whose interests were more exotic than philosophy," she said. "My friends and I here have experimented with some things that would probably have given Jagrun a field day." She glanced innocently up at the ceiling. "And might be... technically against the law."

"One can't go about sorcery on such a scale without making ripples. That's why the Templars are so maddening - they're blind to the very thing they're looking for." She paused. "We... well, I... felt that there was something wrong, a shadow over the city. So we used the book to make enquiries - on the other side."

She was watching Raffy's face intently. "It's no different from what Illiiya does, Rafale," she said, with a defensive air. "The laws of the Colleges are a concession to men like Jagrun, nothing more."

"What is he trying to gain with all this?"
    Maria's eyes slid back to the window, and the vanishing shadow of the Cathedral.

"Our advice on that front was a little... cryptic," she said, reticently. "But if you want to know what I think - I think he means to subjugate Delberz, and everyone in it. For a start." Her gaze moved back to Raffy.

"The thing you met in Puderbrand's house, you need to understand - he's not human. This isn't about politics, or people. It's about conquest."

"I need to get into the Castle to go after the Lector. Do you want to come along?"
    Shaking her head, Maria took Raffy by the arm.

"Please - don't. If it was that simple, don't you think we'd have tried already - when people are dying, every night?"

She tried to turn Raffy to face her. "The sorcerer will kill you. Before you even get close to the Lector. He doesn't like to show his hand, but if you force him, he will. It could be a musket-ball in your back, or it could be a runaway carriage, or it could be the rats, but you won't get within a hundred feet of von Kemperbad - not now you've publically made him your enemy."

"We need you at the forefront of Klaus' revolt. You killed the Hammer of Sigmar - the people will rally behind you. If we can delay the cathedral's completion for just a few days, even a week, we can win. But I think for that, we need the Sparrowhawk." She grinned. "Please?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"So we used the book to make enquiries - on the other side."

She was watching Raffy's face intently. "It's no different from what Illiiya does, Rafale," she said, with a defensive air. "The laws of the Colleges are a concession to men like Jagrun, nothing more."
    He shakes his head. "You don't have to convince me. When I saw Illiiya do that... it was just about the greatest thing I ever saw." He stares off distantly, then looks over at her. "Until a couple days later when I met you."

After another beaming grin he adds, "She can use these, hmm, almost knives sort of. Out of nowhere. Do you know how great it would be to do that?"

When their discussion comes back to the Lector...

Shaking her head, Maria took Raffy by the arm.

"Please - don't. If it was that simple, don't you think we'd have tried already - when people are dying, every night?"

She tried to turn Raffy to face her. "The sorcerer will kill you. Before you even get close to the Lector. He doesn't like to show his hand, but if you force him, he will. It could be a musket-ball in your back, or it could be a runaway carriage, or it could be the rats, but you won't get within a hundred feet of von Kemperbad - not now you've publically made him your enemy."
    He seems sceptical.

"We need you at the forefront of Klaus' revolt. You killed the Hammer of Sigmar - the people will rally behind you. If we can delay the cathedral's completion for just a few days, even a week, we can win. But I think for that, we need the Sparrowhawk." She grinned. "Please?"
    "You heard her," he says with a jerk of his head toward the door. Glumness grasps his voice. "They all think I killed the baroness. Probably half forgot about Jagrun by now."

((After she makes some good points about using leaflets to put positive spin on this....))

"Well, I'll do what I can, Maria. The best thing we could do is get ten or a score of tall boys to put henna in their hair. If there's a dozen Sparrowhawks walking around town it'll scare the piss out of the Lector. And keep the guards and Hounds divided."

He pull the bottle of henna out of his sling bag and shakes it at her.

"I'll help the Society but I gave my word to Marius. To Delberz. Either he brings in the Lector or the Sparrowhawk will be after him. I can't just give it up, especially if I'm going to be, uh, 'rallying' people."

He ponders. "I had an idea though. I need to go out tonight and hunt some Hounds. I'll hold them up at gunpoint and make them strip down. Take all their clothes, their weapons, everything. They're not going to want to go back to Halbermann naked and report it, but they can't stay outside long on a winter night. I'll give them a little message to deliver to the Lector.

"I figure I'll just keep doing that, until either it becomes too dangerous, or until Hounds are afraid of being Hounds any longer. A couple of night of the Sparrowhawk stripping the Hounds should make them a laughingstock."

He looks at her. "What do you think?"

((also:))

Raffy reaches for the square book and runs his fingers along its spine. "Maria.... could you... will you teach me letters?"

"So what do you want me to tell Klaus and the rest?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-29 at 08:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "You heard her," he says with a jerk of his head toward the door. Glumness grasps his voice. "They all think I killed the baroness. Probably half forgot about Jagrun by now."
    Maria laughed a surprisingly dark laugh.

"You think the common people will care two pennies about the baroness?" she said. "It was the baroness who swanned into town and poured her father's money into von Kemperbad's pocket, when men like Fluchtling were trying to shelter the homeless. Klaus and his friends spread the word of what actually happened, and they'll believe it." She looked Raffy straight in the eye. "What was the first thing Magda asked you? Whether you killed Elena Neurich, or whether you killed Aldric Jagrun, hammer of witches?"

"Well, I'll do what I can, Maria. The best thing we could do is get ten or a score of tall boys to put henna in their hair. If there's a dozen Sparrowhawks walking around town it'll scare the piss out of the Lector. And keep the guards and Hounds divided."
    Maria looked doubtful. "That I'm not so sure of. People will gather behind a symbol, as part of a crowd - but they'll be less willing to put their lives on the line alone. If von Kemperbad catches the Sparrowhawk, the Sparrowhawk will burn - that goes for anyone who happens to be the Sparrowhawk at the time."

"I'll help the Society but I gave my word to Marius. To Delberz. Either he brings in the Lector or the Sparrowhawk will be after him. I can't just give it up, especially if I'm going to be, uh, 'rallying' people."
    "You help the revolt, and maybe you'll get your shot," said Maria, pressing his hand gently. "Not just at the Lector, either - Halberman'll be in the thick of it, of that you can be sure."

He ponders. "I had an idea though. I need to go out tonight and hunt some Hounds. I'll hold them up at gunpoint and make them strip down. Take all their clothes, their weapons, everything. They're not going to want to go back to Halbermann naked and report it, but they can't stay outside long on a winter night. I'll give them a little message to deliver to the Lector.

"I figure I'll just keep doing that, until either it becomes too dangerous, or until Hounds are afraid of being Hounds any longer. A couple of night of the Sparrowhawk stripping the Hounds should make them a laughingstock."

He looks at her. "What do you think?"
    Maria looked at him for a long, silent moment - then laughed quietly to herself.

"Raffy," she said, shaking her head through her smile, "where do you get these ideas?" Swallowing, she took on a more serious tone of voice. "That won't be necessary. We have to bring this to a head tomorrow, or not at all. And while it's... bold, you shouldn't underestimate Sergeant Halbermann. He's lazy, and a coward, but he's not stupid." Those green eyes met Raffy's once again. "I don't want you getting caught."

Raffy reaches for the square book and runs his fingers along its spine. "Maria.... could you... will you teach me letters?"
    Maria seemed rather reluctant to let go of it - looking up at Raffy's request, she raised her eyebrows in surprise, smiling again.

"Of course. Once this is over." She touched him on the cheek. "That means you have to promise to survive, though. No storming the castle single-handed." She raised one eyebrow, as if half expecting Raffy to leap up and try to do just that at any moment.

"So what do you want me to tell Klaus and the rest?"
    "The truth. That you were framed, that the sorcerer murdered the baroness. Just... go easy on the details."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Maria looked doubtful. "That I'm not so sure of. People will gather behind a symbol, as part of a crowd - but they'll be less willing to put their lives on the line alone. If von Kemperbad catches the Sparrowhawk, the Sparrowhawk will burn - that goes for anyone who happens to be the Sparrowhawk at the time."
    Raffy's brow wrinkles. "Do you have a revolution, or not?" Realizing how harsh his tone is, he softens his voice. "There have to be others who are willing to take a risk. It can't just be me. If it's just me I should go take my chances hitting the castle."

He looks up at the ceiling. "Maybe if there are enough people dressed like the Sparrowhawk, they can't put them to death. They can't execute every boy in town." His eyes go back to her. "Just showing up in an angry mob isn't going to do anything. They tried that today. To make a stand... it means brave people taking bold actions."

He's not sure where this sudden wisdom is coming from. Of course it might not be wisdom. it might be a boy who heard too many tales of Ulric from his sister, and got his head stuck in the clouds.

"You help the revolt, and maybe you'll get your shot," said Maria, pressing his hand gently. "Not just at the Lector, either - Halberman'll be in the thick of it, of that you can be sure."
    "The funny thing is, I'm not much of a revolutionary. Halbermann's doing his job. His stupid, stinking job the way the Lector told him to. I don't want to throw down the baron either. He's nobility. It broke my heart to see his wife dead. Do you think she gave away all that money to hurt people? She probably thought it was charity."

He sighs. "After the duel, you know what I was going to say to the crowd? 'Love Sigmar and obey your baron.'* That's what the knights always say. The baron's supposed to protect us. I didn't say it, but only because I had to run away or get arrested. I thought that if I said it, Marius would know I'm not against him or the nobility. I just want the murders to stop."
    *True story - I was gonna post that :)

The propaganda that a peasant boy is raised with runs deep in Raffy's outlook. For the first time, he was confronting the fact that he wasn't just fighting a murderer, but the whole system.

Awkwardly, he went on explaining his plan about stripping the Hounds.

Maria looked at him for a long, silent moment - then laughed quietly to herself.

"Raffy," she said, shaking her head through her smile, "where do you get these ideas?" Swallowing, she took on a more serious tone of voice. "That won't be necessary. We have to bring this to a head tomorrow, or not at all. And while it's... bold, you shouldn't underestimate Sergeant Halbermann. He's lazy, and a coward, but he's not stupid." Those green eyes met Raffy's once again. "I don't want you getting caught."
    He sours when she laughs at him, but tightens his hand on hers when she expresses her concern. "It just seems smarter," he mumbles.

After a moment he pipes back up. "I was going to kill them, four or five a night. But the Doctor said he doesn't want anyone else to die. I guess I agree with him. Besides, they're citizens, with families. If I start killing them I'm one of the bad guys. If I strip them down and disarm them, they just get humiliated. They learn to hate being a Hound. They'll be deserting left and right. Halbermann may be smart but he's an opportunist - he's not going to hold a line against anyone without an ample hedge of men.

"If we only have tonight, maybe the Society members could do it too. Teams of four, each with arms. Find a pair of Hounds on night patrol and strip 'em. Take their money, everything.... by tomorrow they'd be down a third of their men."

He fidgets.

"Maria, I guess you should know. I'm kind of a scoundrel. When I went after that bounty I sat in a tree for about four hours till I could catch a couple guys sleeping. The head bandit was still pulling up his pants from doing his business when we crossed swords. That's just how I do things - trickery and surprise. Fighting dirty. I'm sorry if that isn't noble. It was me against eight armed men, I didn't survive just by luck. Neither will the revolution."

When she tells him what exactly to say:
    "The truth. That you were framed, that the sorcerer murdered the baroness. Just... go easy on the details."
    "Well, that's easy." He chuckles nervously. "But what details should I leave out? I'm new at this."

"Do you think there's anything in your book that can help in the fight?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-30 at 02:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar and Some Very Scary People

Spoiler
    Show
    The Lector’s gaze fixed on Lothar. Slowly, the Baron raised his head, red-rimmed eyes doing the same.

“Speak your piece,” he said, hoarsely.

Lothar stood to attention, dreading having to keep the pose for the long interview. "My lord," he began. "It's not my place to speak for Lady Samztunge, or any other suspects: but I'm certain that Illiiya's not any threat to your city, or the people livin' -ahem- living under Sigmar's Grace. We only arrived in town a couple've- a few days ago, m'lords, and the actions of this sorcerer show all th' -the- signs of having been planned for ages-- um, a long time. The destruction of the old Temple, the stirring up o' the refugees..."

The soldier cleared his throat, looking between the Lector and the Baron. "She's helped me, sir, and the others- both in killin' the Children that were ambushing the stone shipment, and in our efforts to find the source of the attacks. She..." Lothar trailed off and glanced sideways at Captain von Brucker.

"I'm sorry, sir," he said, and looked back to the Lector. "She strongly encouraged us to look into Lady Samztunge, sayin' that she felt something strange about her- some shifting force." Lothar made the sign of the Hammer, shaking his head. "We didn't know if it meant that she were bein' stalked by the evil, or what, but it was a clue. I- I guess, given everything that's happened today, things don't look good for her."

He flicked another apologetic glance to the beleagured Marius von Brucker and plunged on. "But like I says -uh, said- m'lords, that's not my place. What I'm tryin' to say is that Illiiya worked with us to stop the deaths as strong as anyone, and fiercer than some. She's determined to get to it."

Behind his back, Lothar fiddled with the copper Sigmarite ring he wore, and nodded to the Lector. "I'm not denyin' that she's got- um. That she's- uh, magicked. But all elves've got a bit o' that, right?" He looked uncertain, and shook his head.

"Or anyway, she's definitely not behind it- see, we were at the Carter's all night, her an' I, while the others were out doing their own thing: playing dice, and drinking beer. There were others there, they'll back me up. And all night, she didn' even twitch a finger, or anythin'- um, anything like that. No fancy words, and yet today there were even more dead. Killed by them -those- rats."

"So she can't've done it. But I know it's just me saying this, sirs, a simple soldier, so I say we should keep her in a safe place, with some folk watching her. Two, say- one man, an' a woman so's no-one can say she did any bewitching of the watch. Maybe one of the Priestesses of Verena, or somethin'. Watch her overnight, and if in the morning someone's still getting eaten by rats, well. Clear as daybreak that it isn't her."

The soldier ended his defence with a firm nod.

"Oh," he spoke up suddenly, directing his attention to the baron. "Um. If I may, my lord? My sympathies on your loss." He looked across to Marius as well, as he spoke. "We'll find the warlock, my lords, and burn it."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-09-30 at 04:07 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy's brow wrinkles. "Do you have a revolution, or not?" Realizing how harsh his tone is, he softens his voice. "There have to be others who are willing to take a risk. It can't just be me. If it's just me I should go take my chances hitting the castle."

He looks up at the ceiling. "Maybe if there are enough people dressed like the Sparrowhawk, they can't put them to death. They can't execute every boy in town." His eyes go back to her. "Just showing up in an angry mob isn't going to do anything. They tried that today. To make a stand... it means brave people taking bold actions."
    “You can try, if you like,” said Maria, shaking her head. “I just don’t think you’ll find many volunteers.”

"The funny thing is, I'm not much of a revolutionary. Halbermann's doing his job. His stupid, stinking job the way the Lector told him to. I don't want to throw down the baron either. He's nobility. It broke my heart to see his wife dead. Do you think she gave away all that money to hurt people? She probably thought it was charity."

He sighs. "After the duel, you know what I was going to say to the crowd? 'Love Sigmar and obey your baron.' That's what the knights always say. The baron's supposed to protect us. I didn't say it, but only because I had to run away or get arrested. I thought that if I said it, Marius would know I'm not against him or the nobility. I just want the murders to stop."
    “That’s what we all want,” said Maria softly, putting a hand on Raffy’s shoulder. “But they won’t. Not unless we face down von Kemperbad, here and now.”

He sours when she laughs at him, but tightens his hand on hers when she expresses her concern. "It just seems smarter," he mumbles.

After a moment he pipes back up. "I was going to kill them, four or five a night. But the Doctor said he doesn't want anyone else to die. I guess I agree with him. Besides, they're citizens, with families. If I start killing them I'm one of the bad guys. If I strip them down and disarm them, they just get humiliated. They learn to hate being a Hound. They'll be deserting left and right. Halbermann may be smart but he's an opportunist - he's not going to hold a line against anyone without an ample hedge of men.

"If we only have tonight, maybe the Society members could do it too. Teams of four, each with arms. Find a pair of Hounds on night patrol and strip 'em. Take their money, everything.... by tomorrow they'd be down a third of their men."

He fidgets.

"Maria, I guess you should know. I'm kind of a scoundrel. When I went after that bounty I sat in a tree for about four hours till I could catch a couple guys sleeping. The head bandit was still pulling up his pants from doing his business when we crossed swords. That's just how I do things - trickery and surprise. Fighting dirty. I'm sorry if that isn't noble. It was me against eight armed men, I didn't survive just by luck. Neither will the revolution."
    Maria nodded. “And that’s where Klaus and the others will be able to use you. At the front line. For all that they’re brave, and all that they talk, they haven’t been in a real fight before. When you’ve got the lower town behind you, when the Hounds are on the back foot – that’s when they’ll need ideas like this. Because on the other side is Halbermann, and if anyone knows about fighting dirty, it’s him.”

“Tomorrow, you’ll have hundreds of people behind you. Tonight, you’ve just got u - and Klaus, when he comes. After what happened today, the Hounds will be wary. I don’t want to see you walk into a trap.” She frowned. “Or fall down in front of a crowd. The doctor’s right, Rafale. You’re ill, you need rest.”

"Well, that's easy." He chuckles nervously. "But what details should I leave out? I'm new at this."
    Maria waved her hand vaguely. “Just... the specifics. What he said to you. How he got you there.” She watched his face carefully. “You found the body, and the guards mistook you for the murderer.”

"Do you think there's anything in your book that can help in the fight?"
    Maria gave a mysterious half-smile, drawing the book back towards her.

“There definitely is. You can leave that to us, though. All we need is for the work on the cathedral to stop for a few days – and we can break the sorcerer’s spell.”

[hr]

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    The Lector looked Lothar up and down with an expression of extreme scepticism.

“The tools of witchcraft are as subtle as they are sinful,” he said, a cold weight to his words. “I find it difficult to believe that you could be sure that no magic was practised last night – or that the elf was never out of your presence.” He paused. “Or that her daemonic practices could not penetrate prison walls.”

“If that’s the case, what will you accept as evidence?” snarled Marius, short-temperedly. “We have no wizard to sit with her.”

The Lector narrowed his eyes at the Captain, but said nothing. Returning to Lothar, he spoke again:

“You cannot deny that she used her sorcery to assist in the killing - in the murder of Aldric Jagrun. There is no clearer sign that she is Samtzunge's slave. She served as her assassin.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1337

Lothar &c.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shook his head. "No, my lord, there is no possibility of Illiiya working with Lady Samtzunge. Maria was fascinated with Illiiya when they met, but Illiiya wanted nothing to do with her- like I said, she said the noblelady felt wrong or somethin'. I didn't really understand it."

"She didn't intend for the Sigmar's Hammer to die, my lord- she wanted the two to stop fighting. I'll wager she's as horrified at Herr Jagrun's unnecessary death as anyone, sir. Now, Raffy- uh, Rafaele, the kid: he's right fond of Lady Samtzunge, maybe he was put up to it."

The soldier shook his head. "I doubt it, sir. The boy doesn't think that far ahead... but that's lookin' far ahead anyway, sir. Need to find him."

He cleared his throat. "Um. As for through dungeon walls, thats why i said we oughta have persons watching her. She can't do any... things without us seeing it. Us meaning whoever you assign, I mean. Us Humans."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Pieter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus shook his head, 'I'll be at the Crow tomorrow morning. Meet me there just after sunrise?' After he receives an answer he will leave for the North Wind to gamble and then to the Crow for lodgings.
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "I wasn't planning that far ahead, but sure, I'll try to be there."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar felt Marius prickle next to him as he spoke about Maria – particularly about Raffy.

“Hm,” breathed von Kemperbad, seeming to trust Lothar’s testimony about as little as he would Maria’s. “So you claim your witch detected the touch of Chaos upon the lady, and yet no effort was made to inform Sigmar’s Church.” His eyes slid sideways to Marius. “Even Aldric, whose sacred duty it was to hunt out the sorceress. Why would that have been, I wonder.”

“What are you implying?” asked Marius, tersely.

“My lord,” said the Lector, addressing the Baron instead. “Your son’s affections for Maria Samtzunge are public knowledge. They have clouded his judgement... compromised his ‘investigators’. Even,” he added, speaking directly to Marius, “as they betrayed your trust. She has used you, Captain. As surely as she has used every other man she has ensnared.”

“Maria is innocent,” said Marius, nearly rising to his feet. “You have nothing, nothing more than circumstantial evidence –“
    “Sergeant,” said von Kemperbad quietly, “if you would.” Saluting, Halbermann rose from his seat, scuttling over to a side-door in the opposite wall: opening it, four bedraggled figures were propelled through by four uniformed guards, standing in shackles before the audience of the great and good. And Lothar.

Lothar immediately recognised Illiiya: like the others, her wrists were shackled, although she looked oddly at peace. The others were more of a surprise: there was a young lad who Lothar did not recognise, and next to him, a small, mousy-haired girl and a bent, milky-eyed old man. Alfons.

“These three,” said von Kemperbad, calmly turning in his chair to indicate the human prisoners, “were caught as they tried to flee Samtzunge House this morning, following the orders of their mistress. Sergeant, if you would please ask them to say their names.”
    “That one can’t, sir!” replied Halbermann quickly, doing his best impression of a soldier on parade as he pointed sharply to the cowering young woman.
    “And why is that?” asked the Lector, his cool, collected tone of voice seeming to imply that he already knew the answer.
    “Because she is dumb, sir!” reported Halbermann. “Can’t speak a word. One of them mutes.”
    “So we see,” said the Lector, turning back to the Captain like a snake turning back to its prey. “The lady’s serving-staff: a blind butler, a dumb serving-girl, and an idiot stablehand.”
    The lanky youth standing next to Illiiya opened his mouth as if to protest – and instantly thought better of it.
    “The retainers, I would say, of a woman who had something to hide. But that is beside the point. It is known, from the testimony of Corporal Faul of your own guards, that the apothecary Pilserier and the mutant Hoffer were poisoned by a mute serving-girl, who delivered their last meal carrying your signature. Aldric found the letters. I believe the Sergeant here has found the girl.” There was a pregnant pause. “The temptress must have been hiding her away after the deed was committed, to shield her from Aldric’s search.”

“What is the purpose of all this, Theophilus?” mumbled the Baron, weakly.

“With your permission, my lord,” said the Lector, “I would have the Hounds scour the lower town tonight. To find the witch and her murderous dupe, and put an end to this madness once and for all.” His voice dropped to a slightly softer tone, steel wrapped in velvet. “To that end, I wish to question these prisoners. That, I believe, the point on which Master von Brucker wishes to object.”

“If the Hounds pitch in with force now, it’ll be anarchy,” said Marius, as firmly as he could. “The people are on the brink of an uprising.”
    “The people will observe Sigmar’s will,” bit back the Lector. “We have already seen what happens when they fail to do so – have we not, Captain?”
    That seemed to silence Marius for the moment.
    “As long as the witch walks free, she will inflame the peasants to revolt. Her debased sorcery has corrupted this city. It has poisoned the minds of the common people against their betters, to subvert their faith and their obedience to the Empire.” Von Kemperbad’s eyes rested on the Baron. “The time for words is over. It is time they were shown a firm hand.”
    “Father, you cannot seriously –“
    “For gods’ sakes, Marius!” cried the Baron, his sudden outburst surprising even the Lector. “If the girl is found, can she not answer for herself?”
    Raising his eyebrows, von Kemperbad nodded.
    “Quite so,” he murmured.
    “You have my permission,” the old man said to the priest, trying to keep his voice from trembling. “As for these, these prisoners...”
    “Father, we don’t know where Illiiya comes from,” muttered Marius. “If the court in Altdorf were to hear – there might be consequences.”
    Still staring into the middle distance, the Baron nodded.
    “As for these prisoners – the elf, I think, should be tried as this soldier has suggested. The servants, you may do with what you wish.”
    Halbermann grinned, and Alfons paled. Von Kemperbad’s face remained unreadable.
    “Very well,” said the Lector, measuredly. Looking across to Lothar, he met the soldier’s gaze.

You have inconvenienced me, the high priest’s flinty eyes seemed to say. I will remember your face.

“Since it was you who made the suggestion, I presume you volunteer to take part in this vigil?” asked von Kemperbad, his voice a razor-edge of polite neutrality. “In which case I would say you represent the Guard. I ask that Sergeant Halbermann be allowed to select a member of the Hounds to provide our second observer.”

OOC: From now on, you’re in the same spoilers as Illiiya. Also, can I get a mystery Int test, please.

[hr]

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Through the door, Illiiya heard Lothar’s voice. The soldier was mumbling nervously, difficult to hear through the solid oak – more than once, however, she thought they seemed to be talking about her.

The Lector’s cold, cruel tones cut back in – then the sound of Marius’ voice, the Captain sounding frustrated as he was cut off more than once. Suddenly, there were footsteps on the other side of the door: it was thrown open, and along with the others, Illiiya was pushed through.

Before them, a long, long dining table was occupied at one end only – the Baron sat at the head of the table, almost with his head in his hands, while on his right, von Kemperbad and a pair of black-robed priests perched like vultures over carrion. On the opposite side of the table, Marius, Lothar and a guard she did not recognise faced them down: standing by the door through which she had just entered, the yellow-bearded face of Sergeant Halbermann smirked back at her.

“These three,” said von Kemperbad, calmly turning in his chair to indicate the human prisoners beside her “were caught as they tried to flee Samtzunge House this morning, following the orders of their mistress. Sergeant, if you would please ask them to say their names.”
    “That one can’t, sir!” replied Halbermann quickly, doing his best impression of a soldier on parade as he pointed sharply to the cowering young woman.
    “And why is that?” asked the Lector, his cool, collected tone of voice seeming to imply that he already knew the answer.
    “Because she is dumb, sir!” reported Halbermann. “Can’t speak a word. One of them mutes.”
    “So we see,” said the Lector, turning to the Captain like a snake turning to its prey. “The lady’s serving-staff: a blind butler, a dumb serving-girl, and an idiot stablehand.”
    The lanky youth standing next to Illiiya opened his mouth as if to protest – and instantly thought better of it.
    “The retainers, I would say, of a woman who had something to hide. But that is beside the point. It is known, from the testimony of Corporal Faul of your own guards, that the apothecary Pilserier and the mutant Hoffer were poisoned by a mute serving-girl, who delivered their last meal carrying your signature. Aldric found the letters. I believe the Sergeant here has found the girl.” There was a pregnant pause. “The temptress must have been hiding her away after the deed was committed, to shield her from Aldric’s search.”

“What is the purpose of all this, Theophilus?” mumbled the Baron, weakly.

“With your permission, my lord,” said the Lector, “I would have the Hounds scour the lower town tonight. To find the witch and her murderous dupe, and put an end to this madness once and for all.” His voice dropped to a slightly softer tone, steel wrapped in velvet. “To that end, I wish to question these prisoners. That, I believe, the point on which Master von Brucker wishes to object.”

“If the Hounds pitch in with force now, it’ll be anarchy,” said Marius, as firmly as he could. “The people are on the brink of an uprising.”
    “The people will observe Sigmar’s will,” bit back the Lector. “We have already seen what happens when they fail to do so – have we not, Captain?”
    That seemed to silence Marius for the moment.
    “As long as the witch walks free, she will inflame the peasants to revolt. Her debased sorcery has corrupted this city. It has poisoned the minds of the common people against their betters, to subvert their faith and their obedience to the Empire.” Von Kemperbad’s eyes rested on the Baron. “The time for words is over. It is time they were shown a firm hand.”
    “Father, you cannot seriously –“
    “For gods’ sakes, Marius!” cried the Baron, his sudden outburst surprising even the Lector. “If the girl is found, can she not answer for herself?”
    Raising his eyebrows, von Kemperbad nodded.
    “Quite so,” he murmured.
    “You have my permission,” the old man said to the priest, trying to keep his voice from trembling. “As for these, these prisoners...”
    “Father, we don’t know where Illiiya comes from,” muttered Marius. “If the court in Altdorf were to hear – there might be consequences.”
    Still staring into the middle distance, the Baron nodded.
    “As for these prisoners – the elf, I think, should be tried as this soldier has suggested. The servants, you may do with what you wish.”
    Halbermann grinned, and Alfons paled. Von Kemperbad’s face remained unreadable.
    “Very well,” said the Lector, measuredly. Looking across to Lothar, he met the soldier’s gaze.

“Since it was you who made the suggestion, I presume you volunteer to take part in this vigil?” asked von Kemperbad, his voice a razor-edge of polite neutrality. “In which case I would say you represent the Guard. I ask that Sergeant Halbermann be allowed to select a member of the Hounds to provide our second observer.”

OOC: From now on, you’re in the same spoilers as Lothar.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus having left, Pieter leaned against the steps, beginning to idly flick through some of the books.

A Few Words on Non-Intervention was more of an essay than anything else – a work of philosophy, or politics, or whatever you’d call it, revolving around the central premise that the idea of sin was meaningless – that the only rule by which to live one’s life was to do no harm to others, and that to proscribe men’s behaviour on any other grounds was a violation of their liberties. Pieter had heard similar sentiments out of the mouths of his co-religionists on several occasions, although never couched in such dry, almost academic language.

On Liberty was much the same, but in much greater depth, detail and length – after a few pages, he put it down. A weighty book like that required a certain respect - it wasn’t something to be read while waiting for the guards to arrive. Setting it on the shelf, he opened the third book – Lady von Saponatheim’s Lover.

This one seemed to be a work of fiction. There was a high-born lady, in a country house – and a gardener who came to tend the grounds. Reading on, his eyes widened. They got up to things, the lady and the gardener. Pieter wasn’t sure, but he was fairly confident that there were plenty of places where putting those kinds of words in print would be illegal.

Still, it made for... something of a compelling read.

He snapped it shut when he heard a rather hesitant knock at the broken-down cellar door – picking his way in with an extremely confused expression, a man in the uniform of the Guard stood before him. He seemed to have come alone.

“Captain sent me,” he said, by way of explanation. “Said... said Mr Fischer said we needed to come have a look at this place?”

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading through the darkening streets in the direction of the North Wind, Ithelus had just about reached the river when he heard a child’s voice cry out behind him.

“Ma, ma, look! It’s one of them elves!”

Looking round, he saw a small, wide-eyed girl pointing at him: her mother, with an expression of extreme exasperation, was trying to pull her away. Squinting through the gathering dark, he recognised her as the child from Helstrum’s Ward – the one who had approached them at the well.

“Leave the... the gentleman alone, Lira. Ha’n’t you given them enough trouble for one day?”
    “But ma, I want to tell him too! Maybe he didn’t hear! Ma, I want to tell him toooo!
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-30 at 08:11 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #1341

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "...one o' them mutes."

"Ah." Lothar didn't intend to speak, but he did- noticing the Lector's glare, he shut his mouth, right quick, and continued to stand at attention. When the tableau had finished, and the arch-priest had turned back to him, he just nodded quietly.

"Yes, my lord." His eyes flicked to Illiiya, and back to the Lector.

For all his talk o' rememberin' the place, he forgets he's in Middenland, the great git. Half the people are for Ulric over Sigmar- he's gonna start a riot. Only this time, the Hounds are gonna get it.
    Games:

=

=

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Good," said von Kemperbad, neutrally. Rising to his feet, he glanced in Illiiya's direction before looking back at the Captain. "And when she is found guilty - she will burn."

His acolytes rose to follow him, bowing their heads in respect to the von Bruckers - turning to leave, the Lector turned his industrial-strength stare on Halbermann. The Sergeant saluted.

"I'll put one of my best men on it, yer Eminence, sir."

"Good. In the meantime," - another glance at Marius - "I believe we have a murderer to catch." He inclined his head ever-so-slightly to the Baron. "Good day to you, my lord."

Footsteps sounding out cold and hard in the yawning quiet of the hall, the three priests headed towards the door. As they left, Lothar heard one of them whisper to the Lector, the hard stone walls making it echo louder than he had intended:

"We've had word from Altdorf, your Eminence - Franz Neurich will not continue to pay..."
    The door closed sharply behind them, cutting off the cleric's words. Left alone with the von Bruckers, Halbermann immediately turned to the guards.

"Right, let's get this lot back to some cosy cells, eh? North wing, near where the Hunter had his kit." He grinned at the mousy serving-girl, still cowering from the collection of potentates assembled before her. "I'd say we 'ave ways of makin' you talk, but we really don't, do we?"

"Sergeant," said Marius, his voice full of weariness and contempt in equal measure, "do you feel that is any way to conduct yourself?"
    "Nosir!" said Halbermann, saluting. "Sorry sir. Will get 'em out of here right away sir." He looked at Lothar. "You'd better come along with us, Mister Fischer. Goin' to need you with pointy-ears here."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-30 at 08:57 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #1343

Lothar et Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    With a sigh and a nod, Lothar acquiesced, making to follow the sergeant- and keeping himself between the Hounds and Illiiya. He paused to salute Marius before he left, adding: "May Ulric keep you warm tonight, sir." The emphasis was slight, and probably accidental, but unmistakable.
    Games:

=

=

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate nodded.

"Yes, sir. I take it he didn't tell you much, eh? This seems to be the hideout of some people who were, as far as we know, trying to evade the law. Some of these people are of, um, high standing. That's why we don't want to make accusations too quickly." He paused. "I may not be a trained investigator, but this place reeks of Slaa... of a forbidden cult. Several of these books are almost certainly illegal."

He realized he really did not have much in the way of evidence. Thankfully, he would not need to argue in front of a court: the guard was only doing his job.

"We think it's best if we keep the Hounds out of here until we can search the place more thoroughly."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    ”Right,” said the guard, seeming a little out of his depth. “Well – guess I’ll, um, stand guard then.” He paused. “That’s what we do.”

[hr]

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Winding away through the over-complicated innards of the castle, the guards began to descend into the depths once more, taking their captains with them – Halbermann and Lothar trailed alongside, Maria’s servants cowed and glum in the centre.

Descending a steep spiral staircase, Lothar caught sight of an open archway on their left, through which the tools of the Witch Hunter’s trade were still visible: the mute girl evidently saw them too, her face blanching further. Stopping at a junction between two dark corridors, Halbermann held a muttered conference with one of the guards – Alfons and the others barely had time to protest as they were dragged away in one direction, Illiiya and Lothar being herded in the other. Halbermann came with them, standing back as the guard who led the way produced a heavy ring of keys from his belt, opening a heavy wooden door in their path.

On the other side was a narrow stone corridor, and two iron-barred cells: the door of one was unlocked, and Illiiya pitched unceremoniously inside. Turning the key in the lock, the guard gave a lazy nod to Halbermann and Fischer, turning to go.

“Right,” said Halbermann, straightening up to address Lothar. “I got things to be doin’. You heard His Nibs, the man’s got plans.” He smirked a toothy half-smile. “I’ll be sendin’ someone down to sit with you. You just keep an eye on her in the meantime, right?”

Once he had the soldier’s answer, he hurried away, the echoes of his footsteps fading away into the windowless gloom. The two of them were left alone in the shabby little dungeon, only each other and the bars between them to keep them company.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #1346

Lothar and Illiiya and (probably) Rats

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar settled down on the wall across from Illiiya and stretched out his legs. "Got a plan, Illiiya. We sit tight for a night, you don't cast no... nothing, the Enemy still eats people, and it's obviously not you." He gave the elf his trademark grin.

"Easy as pie, as they say. Everythin'll be alright."
    Games:

=

=

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course," smirked Pieter. "That's what you do. If Hounds come to investigate, try to hold your ground. I'm sure other guards will be sent shortly."

He got out of the building and headed toward the Hammer and Tongs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww crud, I'm gonna have to give my whole big schpiel again at the Society meeting, aren't I? Oy.

“Tomorrow, you’ll have hundreds of people behind you. Tonight, you’ve just got u - and Klaus, when he comes. After what happened today, the Hounds will be wary. I don’t want to see you walk into a trap.” She frowned. “Or fall down in front of a crowd. The doctor’s right, Rafale. You’re ill, you need rest.”
    Oddly, the would-be hero doesn't seem eager to have "hundreds of people" behind him. But again, her concern is touching. He stops blabbering on about how to do this and that and just leans against her, running his fingers through her hair.

Something occurs to him.

"Maria... that Hunter said he stole the letters because they proved you killed Pilserier. Why did he really take them? How did you know what it meant?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-30 at 11:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria held silence for a few moments before replying.

"I can't pretend to understand how that man thought. Men like that - they forge themselves into something less than human. They have to, to do what they do to people. There's a school of thought, among the Witch Hunters, that says Sigmar would not put suspicion in their heads if their suspects weren't guilty. Some of them think their own paranoia is a divining rod."

"When the letters were taken, I knew it was him. The Lector has hated me for as long as he has known me, and Jagrun was his bloodhound - sniffing among my friends and rivals, asking questions. I underestimated him. I thought he would come to my door, demand to search the house with a train of Hounds in tow - but he must have known that would give me time to react. That's why he tried to come at me sideways. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have known about his 'evidence' until I was already being accused."

"You don't believe it was me, do you?" she said. "I mean - anyone could have had poor Marius' signature. If they didn't forge it." She paused for a beat. "The Witch Hunter knew what he wanted, and he knew where he could find something that would fit the bill. To men like him, inconvenient facts aren't important. The ends justify the means."

OOC: Hopefully we can achieve that without too much repetition - indirect speech is a wonderful thing.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading back through the darkened streets, Pieter looked up as he felt something cold land on his nose - a thin scattering of snow was beginning to drift down from the sky. If he hadn't known of the hundreds freezing on the Fields, he might have thought it pretty.

When he reached the Tongs, he slowed - visible in the warm lamp-light being cast from the inn's latticed windows, a man with a white ribbon on his arm was visible leaning on a poleaxe outside the door, looking extremely bored. Taking cover to get a better look at the Hound, Pieter whirled around as he felt a hand on his shoulder - he found himself looking straight into the face of Boris, one of the younger Society men.

"Inn's not for us tonight," he said, the cold air rendering his breath into puffs of white mist. "This way."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate nodded in silence. Indeed, Hounds or no Hounds, it would have been incredibly foolish to plan a revolution in such a public place. He followed Boris.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: