New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm far from sure I can bluff my way to Illiiya," admitted Pieter. "I did manage to attend the Baron's reception, but freeing someone from a cell is something else. Are we even sure she's being detained at the castle?"

But he still needed to speak with Raffy, and this may be his only opportunity for a long time: tomorrow was sure to be a rather chaotic day.

He turned to Maria: "Do you need someplace to hide, or do you have that covered?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll be fine," said Maria. "As a matter of fact, I think I need to be going... someone I have to meet."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-10-04 at 08:05 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Good." Then he added off-handedly, studying her expression: "I was going to suggest a secure basement on Blaucher Street... but the door's broken, so I suppose it's no longer a good hideout."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria blinked. After a short pause, she replied:

"I didn't know you lived on Blaucher Street, Pieter." She seemed to study his face. "How did you break your door?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria had a fairly good Five Knives 1 face, Pieter had to admit... just not quite good enough to fool an experienced gambler like him. He thought it best to keep up the act. She knew that he knew, but she did not need to know that he knew that she knew that he knew.

Now it's getting confusing.

"Oh, I don't live there. I just happen to know a few hidey-holes around the city." He shrugged. "As for the door... probably vandals. Determined vandals."

He turned to Raffy: "Okay, I'm coming with you."

1 Imperial card game, mentioned in the Career Compendium.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-04 at 08:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Thank you, remember to stay away from him, he is a very bad man,' He straightens and addresses the mother, 'If she sees this person again don't hesitate to inform the guard, not the Hounds, the guard. The man in question is wanted in connection to the murders.'
    Sigatar by Me

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    “I should be going too,” said Ilsa, standing up. “Got to get back across the river. Don’t want to get caught with the Hounds between me and home.”

Looking rather dismayed by the sudden exodus from his meeting, Klaus looked around at the various faces – nodding, he turned to Raffy.

“Just be careful,” he said. “I can’t stop you, but we’re going to need you tomorrow.” He glanced across at the Sparrowhawk’s companion. “Pieter, I know we can trust you not to attempt anything rash.”

All around, the meeting was falling back into a murmuring mass. Pieter could hear Karl’s voice, speaking to a cluster of men seated around him:

“Ulli, get up on the roof. You see them coming this way, we’ll need to split...”

Still looking at Pieter as if he had suddenly become orders of magnitude more interesting, Maria rose from her seat, drawing her riding-cloak around her. Touching Klaus on the shoulder, she nodded to him.
    “I’ll see you again soon enough. Don’t let Halbermann’s dogs catch up with you.”
    She turned to leave.
    “Until tomorrow.”

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right. I... we will. Definitely," said the mother. Seemingly relieved to be let go, she tried to pull her child away. "Come along, Lira."

Looking rather disappointed, Lira followed after, following her mother away into the thickening night.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk and Pieter the Knife-Face

Spoiler
    Show

To Pieter: "Well, she's either in the gaol at Judge's Square or the dungeon in the Castle. And we know where the witch hunter had his... tools set up."

He grimaces at the thought of the little elf-girl on the rack or worse.

To Klaus (and loud enough for the whole company): "Don't worry. The Sparrowhawk will be with you tomorrow!" He rubs some of the henna through his hair and grins. "Hopefully more than one of us. A Hawl with every fighting team, and a Hawk at every gate. But no matter what happens, look to my coming tomorrow, I will be there."

Seeing Maria all business and ready to leave as well, he approaches her. He can sense she is not one for public displays of affection, least of all in this crowd. She he simply takes her hand and delivers a light kiss to is, bowing as he does so.

"I suppose you'll find me again?" he half-asks, though she doesn't really need to answer. He already knows. "I'll remember what you said, m'Lady. I'll be alive for you tomorrow, and for the Revolution."

He wanted to say so much more, but there's no time and no privacy. He's ready to head out the door with Pieter....

((I assume we'll discuss our plan in the street, plus whatever it is you want to tell me, before we fast-forward to the Castle.))

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy and Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter gave Maria a long, thoughtful gaze that carried a subtle hint of sadness and disappointment. Then, with a quiet sigh, he turned away from her and followed Raffy outside the house.

Once in the street, he looked over his shoulder every twenty steps or so. His eyes flicked nervously towards the slightest noise and he gave passerbys a wide berth, as if suddenly fearful.

"First off, I must insist that we at least take a look at the gathering of Hounds," he told Raffy. "It's not far out of our way, and it won't take long. Illiiya can wait a few minutes more, I'm sure."

He brought Raffy up to speed:
    "We heard of another possible way to the tunnels. Remember the little girl who told us about the 'Raggedy Monk', who lives in the well? I met her today. She told me she saw the Monk again, entering a pipe under a bridge. And no, I'm not telling you where. If we explore it, we must do it together, with some kind of plan: we don't want them to collapse the tunnels if we fail the first time. We get one shot... Better not waste it."

He looked at Raffy straight in the eyes, his expression grave. "The answer is down there, Rafale. The Lector knows nothing. Whoever is behind this, we'll find them in the tunnels."

He waited for Raffy's answer before going on with his next revelation.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still looking at Pieter as if he had suddenly become orders of magnitude more interesting,
    Something tells me her interest is not good news for me...

One small thing I forgot to mention, Poet: Mr Cat is with me. I don't know if it matters, but the poor thing doesn't like to be forgotten.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-04 at 09:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy and Pieter

Spoiler
    Show

"First off, I must insist that we at least take a look at the gathering of Hounds," he told Raffy. "It's not far out of our way, and it won't take long. Illiiya can wait a few minutes more, I'm sure."
    "The Society's scouts can handle it. I'm not looking to get caught tonight, so if you're going, we can choose a meeting-place. I'll give you twenty minutes and then I go on my own."

"We heard of another possible way to the tunnels. Remember the little girl who told us about the 'Raggedy Monk', who lives in the well? I met her today. She told me she saw the Monk again, entering a pipe under a bridge. And no, I'm not telling you where. If we explore it, we must do it together, with some kind of plan: we don't want them to collapse the tunnels if we fail the first time. We get one shot... Better not waste it."
    "After we kill the Sorcerer, it'll be easy enough to clear out the tunnels. And rescue your slaves if they exist."

He looked at Raffy straight in the eyes, his expression grave. "The answer is down there, Rafale. The Lector knows nothing. Whoever is behind this, we'll find them in the tunnels."
    Raffy stops walking and turns to look Pieter in the face.

"Honestly, 'Pieter,' I don't trust you at all. I gather the feeling is mutual. The only reason I want you with me tonight is because I think you care enough about Illiiya to not double-cross me. We have a shared goal. After that, all bets are off. I have commitments to the Society and so do you, but that's as far as we go."

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    So that's our way in... Now I just need to figure out how to talk to Marius without getting into trouble. He shrugs, I'll work it out in the morning. He then continues on his way.
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    "The Society's scouts can handle it. I'm not looking to get caught tonight, so if you're going, we can choose a meeting-place. I'll give you twenty minutes and then I go on my own."
    "Perfect. I just want to know what they're doing, it shouldn't take too long. They'll never see me, and even if they do... we're in the middle of a city."

"After we kill the Sorcerer, it'll be easy enough to clear out the tunnels. And rescue your slaves if they exist."
    "They do exist," said Pieter firmly. "And I'm willing to bet the sorcerer can be found in the tunnels."

Raffy stops walking and turns to look Pieter in the face.

"Honestly, 'Pieter,' I don't trust you at all. I gather the feeling is mutual. The only reason I want you with me tonight is because I think you care enough about Illiiya to not double-cross me. We have a shared goal. After that, all bets are off. I have commitments to the Society and so do you, but that's as far as we go."
    Pieter held Raffy's gaze.
    "What I distrust about you isn't your honesty or loyalty, Rafale," he said quietly. "It's your judgment. You're a rather erratic person, to say the least, but you still try to do the right thing. I admit I'm not the most honest man in the Empire, but I'm going to free those slaves or die trying. We may not have common goals, but we have a common enemy."

For a moment he walked by Raffy's side in silence, still watchful as if expecting an attack. He started to open his mouth a few times hesitantly. At last he spoke slowly, with great reluctance.

"Lothar, Ithelus and I have investigated a few things this afternoon. Long story short, our search led us to a very well-protected cellar recently deserted by, we think, Dmitri Vanya and Lady von Gamow... two people from Maria's circle. We gather they were trying to hide from someone. The place contained books of exotic... practices, an Arabyan device to smoke various substances, and pamphlets that claimed there was no such thing as sin. We found no actual proof, but it positively reeked of Slaanesh. Now, I'm not accusing Maria of anything..." (Not to your face, at any rate. I like my teeth right where they are.) "All I'm saying is, can you be cautious around her and her friends?"

He allowed time for Raffy to answer.

"Personally," he commented, "I'm troubled by what you heard in that abandoned house... about Maria being someone's greatest enemy. Didn't it strike you as strange that our mass-murdering sorcerer feels threatened by a young noblewoman? If he can kill the Baroness, why doesn't he kill Maria? There's obviously more to her than it seems."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-05 at 08:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy and Pieter

Spoiler
    Show

"What I distrust about you isn't your honesty or loyalty, Rafale," he said quietly. "It's your judgment. You're a rather erratic person, to say the least, but you still try to do the right thing. I admit I'm not the most honest man in the Empire, but I'm going to free those slaves or die trying. We may not have common goals, but we have a common enemy."
    Raffy nods in agreement at the last statement, but says nothing.

For a moment Pieter walked by Raffy's side in silence, still watchful as if expecting an attack. He started to open his mouth a few times hesitantly. At last he spoke slowly, with great reluctance.

"Lothar, Ithelus and I have investigated a few things this afternoon. Long story short, our search led us to a very well-protected cellar recently deserted by, we think, Dmitri Vanya and Lady von Gamow... two people from Maria's circle. We gather they were trying to hide from someone. The place contained books of exotic... practices, an Arabyan device to smoke various substances, and pamphlets that claimed there was no such thing as sin. We found no actual proof, but it positively reeked of Slaanesh. Now, I'm not accusing Maria of anything..." (Not to your face, at any rate. I like my teeth right where they are.) "All I'm saying is, can you be cautious around her and her friends?"
    Raffy starts laughing as Pieter mentions the cellar. He manages to contain himself and lets him finish. Then:

"You almost got yourself blown to bits, my friend. It was Maria who told me not to explode whoever was coming through that door. I was rather sure it was Hounds, though. But sure... I can be cautious."

He pauses for a minute and considers the rest of what Pieter said. Then he gives a second, lesser chuckle. This one doesn't sound as heartfelt. "Let me tell you about their black magic orgy there. They sat around and talked. They gave me water and blankets and let me rest. It was scandalous."

Afdter a moment he adds, "I don't know about the books..." He trails off and thinks of something. "Maria says they read whatever the Church says not to read. She said the only way not to be oppressed is to learn what they don't want us to learn. That way they can't be the only deciders."

"Personally," he commented, "I'm troubled by what you heard in that abandoned house... about Maria being someone's greatest enemy. Didn't it strike you as strange that our mass-murdering sorcerer feels threatened by a young noblewoman? If he can kill the Baroness, why doesn't he kill Maria? There's obviously more to her than it seems."
    He breathes out a lengthy, heavy breath. A cloud of steam puffs in front of him. "Why didn't he kill the Lector? Why not the Witch Hunter? Marius? You, or me? Staying alive isn't a crime."

As they turn in the direction of the Hounds' gathering, Raffy stops. "This is as far as I go. Let me tell you the plan now so I know if you're in. I have a pair of manacles here... and you can pass for a Hound. So we'll shackle my hands but I'll palm the key. Or we can use rope, I have some of that too. You take my weapons and march me up to the Castle. You caught the Sparrowhawk. I already look beat up enough to make it believable. Once we're inside they take me to the dungeon. You follow along. Halbermann's orders not to let me out of your sight till I'm locked up. Once we're down there, you grab a torch and pull out this...."

He opens his sling back to reveal a cannister of gunpowder with a length of fuse cord trailing out of its lid.

"....And I grab my weapons. Don't actually light it, it's just a bluff. We take the keys from the guards, free Illiiya, and make our escape. Either a hostage or the bomb should get us out."

He looks at Pieter with an evaluating squint of his eyes, truly not sure what the man will say. "So is it worth my time to wait for you?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-05 at 10:38 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "You were in that basement?" said Pieter with mild surprise. "Sorry, I didn't realize." He frowned. "While, in theory, I'm not overly fond of Sigmarite censorship, some things are forbidden for a reason. I found nothing downright heretical, but with a cult of Slaanesh in town, books like that do tend to draw suspicion."

He breathes out a lengthy, heavy breath. A cloud of steam puffs in front of him. "Why didn't he kill the Lector? Why not the Witch Hunter? Marius? You, or me? Staying alive isn't a crime."
    "He did tell you he was annoyed that you killed Jagrun, didn't he? So Jagrun served his interests, maybe unwittingly. The Lector too, I'd wager." Pieter shrugged. "And no, staying alive isn't a crime. It's just a bit strange that someone who can kill anyone, anywhere seems unable or unwilling to get rid of a young noblewoman he considers his greatest enemy."

He listened to Raffy's plan.

"Oh... I figured you'd come up with something like that," he said, his tone a bit cynical. "This one's older than dirt: only complete idiots fall for it nowadays. Luckily, there's no shortage of complete idiots in the world. But you do realize, that, if it fails, we're both in deep trouble."

"So is it worth my time to wait for you?"
    "Sure. Your plan's risky, but it's our best bet."

OOC: Personally I'm okay to move on to the gathering of Hounds. I won't go anywhere near them: I'll just watch them from behind a corner.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Crossing the river and heading to the North Wind, Ithelus let himself inside the inn - it was uncharacteristically quiet tonight, people keeping their eyes lowered and talking among themselves in hushed tones. In one corner, a silent group of men were playing Five Knives, pennies changing hands as the dog-eared cards flicked across the table.

One of the men gave Ithelus a suspicious glance as he caught the elf looking at them - then, not wishing to hold his gaze, turned back to the game...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy and the 301st Societarian Brigade

Spoiler
    Show
    "...but with a cult of Slaanesh in town, books like that do tend to draw suspicion."
    "There's a cult of Slaanesh in town? Is there evidence of one - other than the books you said aren't heretical?"

"This one's older than dirt: only complete idiots fall for it nowadays. Luckily, there's no shortage of complete idiots in the world. But you do realize, that, if it fails, we're both in deep trouble."
    Raffy grinned. "Aye. If anything goes wrong outside the gate - they try to refuse you entry or take me away from you, that kind of thing - we bolt for it. They don't have many to send after us and probably don't have guns. Toss me my weapons and we can even split up. Keep 'em and I'm with you."

He thinks. "Of course if we're inside before something goes wrong, we'll have to figure it out on the fly. But with a bomb we have an advantage. If we can just get to Illiiya she can help us with her magic." If she's in any condition to do anything. If she's even alive.

"If she's not there, then... we'll know it when we get to the dungeon. Then we get to threaten a few guards and have some real fun."

"Sure. Your plan's risky, but it's our best bet."
    "Right. I'll meet you at the corner of...." ((insert streets here)). "See if you can get a halberd, it'll be more convincing. Twenty minutes."

He splits off from Pieter.

((Sounds like we're both ready for fast forward.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-05 at 12:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    "There's a cult of Slaanesh in town? Is there evidence of one - other than the books you said aren't heretical?"
    "There's the Slaaneshi murders," Pieter reminded him. "Pilserier was Slaaneshi... and he was murdered in his cell by someone who probably wanted to silence him."

"I don't have the time or money to get a halberd, but the white ribbon should be enough."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Splitting off from Raffy, Pieter hurried towards the spot where the boy had said the Hounds were gathering, slowing as he approached the Altdorf road – approaching through the narrowest, darkest side-street he could find, he leaned against the corner of a stone wall, peering out onto the darkened road.

True enough, the Hounds were there in force – formed up in a mockery of ranks and files, they stood armed and to attention, a multitude of burning torches lighting up the night around them as the lightly falling snow swirled and eddied over their heads. Halbermann was walking briskly up and down in front of them, perhaps trying to keep warm as much as anything else.

“...so are we clear?” Pieter heard the man shout, with the air of a drill-sergeant prior to a parade. “You sweep the slums. Scour the lower town. Every street, every lane, every sorry little back-alley people see fit to sleep in, you turn it over inch by inch. You’ll do it in teams of five, and you will remain alert.” He stopped by one scrawny-looking Hound. “What will you do, Gerhardt?”
    “Remain alert, sarge!”
    “And why is that?”
    “’Cos he’s got a bloody great gun, sarge!”
    “That is correct, Gerhardt!” shouted Halbermann, loud enough for the whole pack of Hounds to hear. “Because he has a bloody, great, gun. And as the Lector has said beyond a shadow’f’a doubt, his lady friend is a witch, and might try all kind of heathen trickery. That is why you are armed, lads. Them of you as has crossbows, if it looks like either of them is going to try anything, anything at all, you shoot first and ask questions never. The rest of you, you keep a good hold of your iron, and you don’t let go of it for any reason.”

Stopping, he turned to face them head-on.

“We search the entire lower town from top to bottom, you hear me? Anyone who gives you trouble, you know what to do. We dig ‘em out tonight, and tomorrow we’ll be stringing ‘em up. Sparrowhawk, my arse. All the people’ll be calling ‘im is Smelly-on-the-gibbet.”

A round of rough laughter rose from the assembled ranks of the militia.

“Right!” yelled Halbermann, sharply. “What’re you sorry sods waiting for? Get to it!”

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading off to the agreed meeting-place, Raffy held himself tightly against the cold - the snow was beginning to fall a little thicker, some settling on the rooftops and gutters. As he headed east a little, getting back onto cobbled streets, the stones themselves were icy and damp.

Breath puffing frostily in the freezing air, he found his place, and waited. Hopefully he would not come to regret trusting Pieter...

OOC: Will bring things back to Raffy as soon as Sentinel's done with the Hounds.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter had arrived at just the right moment, it seemed...

Damn it. Damn it.

Trying to stay out of the Hounds' sight, he sprinted as fast as he could towards the house where the Society had gathered. Karl had posted sentries, but by the time they saw the Hounds coming it might be too late.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ettin in the Playground

Retro to Pieter:

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy meant that he should procure a halberd from one of the Hounds themselves, and will clarify that when Pieter mentions not being able to buy one.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Behind him, Pieter could already hear the Hounds beginning to disperse into the streets, moving north-west as a single body. Quickly outpacing them, he darted through the deepening night, ignoring the chill and dodging the accumulating patches of snow that threatened to make him slip and fall - reaching the door of the meeting-house, he knocked furiously, one of the members of the Society within quickly opening it for him. The meeting seemed to be in full flow, details of tomorrows' movements being discussed in heated detail within.

"Pieter!" said the man at the door. "I thought you'd gone?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter shoved the young man aside and burst into the room.

"The Hounds are coming!" he shouted to everyone present. "They're scouring the entire Lower Town for Rafale. They'll be here in a matter of minutes."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Klaus leapt to his feet.

"The Hounds?" he said. "You're sure?"
    "Of course he's sure, man!" said another voice. "You think he'd joke?"

In an instant, the entire meeting were on their feet, scrambling this way and that as they gathered up the materials they had brought. The Society might not be the most practised revolutionaries in the world, but they certainly knew how to stay low - and right now, that meant dispersing, fast.

OOC: If you want to head straight back to Raffy, feel free to join him in your own post without any intermediate post from me.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "It's true," Pieter confirmed. "All of them, in groups of five. They look like they mean business."

His duty done, he turned away and walked as quickly as he could to the meeting point.

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Emerging from the cloud of gently falling snow, Pieter waved at Raffy.

"The Hounds are about to search the Lower Town for you," he reported grimly. "I had to go back to the Society's meeting to tell them to scatter."

He handed Raffy his bottle of spirits.

"Take a swig for your breath, and pretend to be drunk. That'll be my explanation of how I managed to capture the mighty Sparrowhawk all by myself."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy, Pieter and the Road to Redemption

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy steps out of the shadows and nods. That's actually a good plan, he thinks.

"That's actually a good plan."

He takes a big mouthful of the stuff and swishes it about in his mouth, gargling, swishing some more, and spitting. He wipes his face so the smell will be on his lips and chin too. He welcomes the sting of alcohol in his throat, and the flush from the little bit he swallowed. It gets the blood up.

((any halberd? If not:))

"Have your sword out I guess. I don't trust the manacles so let's use the rope. Here, take my kit." He hands over his sling bag and weapons with some reluctance - like a kid giving up his blanket.

"Think you can tie this to look convincing but make it easy for me to slip my hands out?"

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter put his near-empty bottle of spirits back in his slingbag.

"I'm not an expert in knots," he said with a frown. "I still think the manacles are more convincing, but if you prefer the rope, so be it. I'll try not to let them look too closely."

"But let's go to the castle first: a man with a prisoner tends to draw attention. I suppose we'll leave Mr Cat outside?"

Not that giving orders to a cat did any good...

OOC: Before we start, I'd like to know how many guards are visible at the outer gate.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-10-05 at 01:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy and Pieter

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy smiles at the cat. "If only there was a way to get him inside. Illiiya'd be happy to see him. Maybe if he's my 'familiar'?" He sighs. "But they'd probably just kill him."

Getting his mind back in the game he adds, "Sure, we'll need to do it far enough away that they don't see us, but you can get a look first. You have your armband?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-10-05 at 01:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sure do. I'll put it on just before we start: I don't want to get lynched by an angry mob on my way to the castle."

"Better leave Mr Cat outside. He'd just draw attention."

OOC: Let's wait for an update by LCP. I have to study for a test anyway, and this game is too tempting a distraction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeming to understand more than a cat ought to of their conversation, Mr Cat mewed, pacing demurely away into the night. Watching him go, Pieter turned his attention back to the task at hand.

Slipping between Tempelplatz and the danger of militiamen on the Altdorf Road, the duo made their way to the foot of the castle mound: staying close to one of the houses below to conceal their outlines, Pieter squinted up through the darkness and drifting snow in the direction of the gatehouse. Just visible by the ruddy glow of the iron brazier that was keeping them warm, two guards stood watch by the gatehouse, taking it in turns to pace back and forth while the other sheltered in the lee of the old stone wall...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter felt an irrational pang of guilt when the cat walked away.

"Alright. Let's do this," he said, trying to force conviction into his voice.

He put on his white ribbon, loosely tied Raffy's hands behind his back and tried to find a comfortable way to carry all their weapons and equipment. He opted for keeping Raffy's blunderbuss in his right hand, their slingbags under his left arm and both their swords at his belt. He could not help but feel a bit silly with two sword belts.

Why am I doing this? I know we're headed for disaster.

"Ranald be with us," he breathed. "He favors hopeless people, doesn't he?"

OOC: Do I need the green light from Raffy?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: