New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Drowtales: The Info Dump

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    There is a fair share of pedos in this comic, especially before the remake. And other wierdness, like Mel. That giant purple spider is Ariels father.
    Well, that Giant Purple Spider is actually a transformed Dark Elf, not a real spider.

Spoiler
    Show
    And if the old Godess Knight story is correct, he is actually a little older than Diva. And her first Knight. So that is one of the two (very old) connection Ariel has to Diva.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok I got my hands on the first remake of chapter 1, I don't have chapters 2-3 yet but lets compare these two versions

1) There is much more of a personal introduction. Obviously the prologue doesn't exist, but for new readers it actually explains what the hell is going on. Ariel's internal monologue tells us very clearly that A) She is being kept in a cell where she has grown up B) that her mother is a mercenary queen of epically awesome importance C) That she is going to meet her and hopefully become her friend. D) That Syphile is an abusive and extremely petty human being E) That Ariel is a very imagnative person. Ok, i'm done with that, that makes sense to me.
    2) Agian, Syphile is more actively cruel than absurdly neglectful, and again I prefer the new version. Syphile cruelty doesn't come out of actually hating Ariel, it comes from Ariel preventing her from doing what she wants and Syphile being an extremely selfish person. So i think it makes more sense that instead of killing Fuzzy as she does in the first Remake, she leaves him im the room with her
    3) There is a plot line which is brought up and dropped that Ariel believes that she is in fact stupid because she can't live up to Syphile's expectations. However, I like how the current version made that Ariel's relationship with Q instead.
    4) Its more obvious that Ariel really loves fantasy books and just doesn't really have an academic mind.
    5) Syphile doesn't give Ariel a dictionary for Ariel to study, she instead leaves a history text book, which makes more sense to me, I mean its just as unresonable on a 9 year old, but even Syphile isn't "that" stupid.
    6) Mel is built up ALOT more, and comes off as alot more terrifying, which I like. Honestly the first remake chapters aren't nearly as pretty but much better paced, though they lack alot of the details of the newest versions
    7) There is a very strange scene when Ariel is out of her room and Syphile is waiting in her room. Ariel has a Syphile doll in both remakes (I never understood why) which goes alone with her Q doll and her animal dolls. In this version though, Syphile is holding her doll which has been made to look demonic and evil looking, and has an expression almost of sadness, like she is midely aware of what kind of monster she is. She then kills Fuzzy, well so much for self reflection you monster. Actually Syphile does this again when she kills Fuzzy and Ariel calls her a monster, almost like she is deeply terrified of becoming a monster herself. She also looks really upset when she sees that the Syphile doll was stabbed.
    8) Ariel's hero worship of her mother is MUCH more acute, and I really like it. I know it mentions in the new remake that Ariel obessively reads the Quain'tana Conan stories, but its much more apperent here.
    9) The new remake does a much better job with Q's introduction, Quain'tana wouldn't be sitting on her throne room awaiting an audience, she would be walking around talking with commoners about weapons manifacture.
    10) There is a hilarious moment after Q tells Ariel to kill Syphile and Ariel says she is too small where Syphile signs with relief and looks like she was seriously worried that a 10 year old girl might legitimately kill her.
    11) Instead of the guards rescuing Ariel from Mel, Ariel leaves Mel on her own violition, which leaves Mel devestation. I like the current version better, it builds up better to the break down in relations between the tw of them.

Still can't find chapters 2-3 but i'll look around a bit more

Edit: I give up on chapters 2-3, so here is chapters 4-8, which still follow the very orginial continuity where Ariel has her very own snake whip

1) Disporia is a sucubus rather than a Nether Demon, typical FR stuff
    2) Lyrial is Faern's slave not Ariels, though they spend alot of time wondering why she is so wierd
    3) We see Maya talk to Yaeflin' alot more, and actively encourage him, so for new readers like me her suruggote mommy status makes alot more sense
    4) All of the girls are legitimatly attracted to Rik and Ariel' fights in the area not to try to recruit him, but instead because she has a crush on him an is one of his biggest fans
    5) Ariel turns herself into a drider, which would never work in the current continuity
    6) And in the most famous example of them all, Ariel has sex with Rik in the orginial version after turning into a half dragon. The version I got had a censored page but it said I didn't need that t oget the story going. So I have to say its pretty creepy seeing a 15 year girl actively seduce an older man. Sadly, Rik's character arch really only makes sense if it is sex, the kiss exchanged between the two doesn't seem to be enough to convince me that he would have a massive crush on her. However, if she does have sex with him that totally ruins Ariel's character because it comes out of no where. the scene where he teaches her how to fly is played somewhat romantically and you see where he would become super obessive. The whole thing feels kinda awkward.
    7) Its never really clear why Ariel doesn't like Jer'kol, though they add a conflict between him and Rik which could have been interesting. In the remake, its pretty obvious why Jer'kol is a bad guy.
    8) Ariel's buying of Gladiators is treated more like trophy collecting rather than for a purpose, which totally fits in the setting. She tries to buy a dwarf gladitor who totally outsmarts her which I find hilarious
    9) When Jer'Kol tries to kill Vaelaria after she punches him, the officer gives him 10 seconds to try to kill her before arresting her. Its also more clear taht Syphile hired Jer'Kol to kill Ariel
    10) Chy'stel is Faern's overseer trying to prepare her for the higher level challenges opposed to just being a her roomate. She also is seen hunting for her when she screws up.
    11) Yaeflin's and Ariel's break up makes alot more sense to me, he blames her for Faern leaving and Ariel gets jealous that he is closer to Maya than her
    12) The whole fight at the black dragon made more sense, Ariel went to see Rif seperetly and found him left to die because he refused to throw a fight
    13) Q allows Ariel and Mel to work together with Ariel as her apprentice. Considering hte events of the current comic, I find this hilarious
    14) Q orders Ariel, L and K to attack the Black Dragon to punish it for disrespecting Ariel, which answers my earlier question
    15) http://web.archive.org/web/200610291...ation=20021219 this exists. I'd recommend reading the orignials for the Chibi parodies alone
    16) Ariel's treatment of Maya is...different. In order to get a clue about Faern's location they need to sacrifice an enemy of Sharess/Lolth, and they do this to Maya. Ariel is bloody nuts in this version, but i prefer it to the extremely awkward version of events that we currently see.
    17) Chris is still awesome. I mean, lets be honest, she is awesome. She also puts up a much greater fight against Ariel
    18) http://web.archive.org/web/200610291...ation=20030216 this exchange
    19) Syphile submission is much different in this version, and not as subtly handled, though they reference a fews ways in which Syphile fails here that I don't understand, such as against the demon http://web.archive.org/web/200610291...ation=20030422
    20) The conflict between Ariel and Syphile is handled far less well, as Ariel doesn't do the whole "Hah your tainted you has no soul" thing which I thought was more interesting. I don't know what male she is refering too here http://web.archive.org/web/200610291...ation=20030503, is it something from breach of faith?

In conclusion, i think the new ones are better but unlike the first 3 chapters, these chapters actually help the plot make more sense. The whole thing is just more coherent and understandable because it paces itself, as a new reader looking at the remakes I had the problem where I felt like it was story being summarized for me opposed to an actual story. So I think everybody should read chapters 4-8 just for a sense of pacing.
    Last edited by CowardlyPaladin; 2013-06-06 at 07:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Paladin, as someone who has never read the originals, I'm really enjoying these recaps/comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by CowardlyPaladin View Post
    21) Yaeflin is actually sympathetic rather than a whiny selfish little brat
    Hmm. While yes, he's a coward, I never found him unsympathetic. That whole conflict apparantly makes a lot more sense in the original, whereas in the remake, Ariel just comes into school, befriends him, then kinda expects him to risk his life for her whenever. I can totally understand him not wanting to do that for a semi-friend.
    That probably ties into the pacing problem in that we never see Ariel stand up for Yafein's bullies or actually interact much with him in the remake.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #724

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Paladin, as someone who has never read the originals, I'm really enjoying these recaps/comparisons
    Thank you, I really wish I had read the originals first honestly

Hmm. While yes, he's a coward, I never found him unsympathetic. That whole conflict apparantly makes a lot more sense in the original, whereas in the remake, Ariel just comes into school, befriends him, then kinda expects him to risk his life for her whenever. I can totally understand him not wanting to do that for a semi-friend.
    That probably ties into the pacing problem in that we never see Ariel stand up for Yafein's bullies or actually interact much with him in the remake.
    Yeah, Yafein in the current version seems to be "A guy Ariel occasionally hangs out with" which makes her feeling of betrayal really kinda strange, while in the orginial he is a best friend/psudo boyfriend, when he does call her a monster it strikes her much more powerfully

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now I have read the first the first three original chapters too.

The art is bad and the story is clunky, it really is an info dump at times. But I honestly think they make more sense than the remake. Half the time when I read Drowtales, I wonder why person X did what he/she did. It only shows half the story. The lastest chapter "Schism" is a good example.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9416
    It's back to Colony and highland raiders planning to liberate it.
    P.S- Anybody reading Drowtales: Space Age (subscribed version)?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #727

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Now I have read the first the first three original chapters too.

The art is bad and the story is clunky, it really is an info dump at times. But I honestly think they make more sense than the remake. Half the time when I read Drowtales, I wonder why person X did what he/she did. It only shows half the story. The lastest chapter "Schism" is a good example.
    This becomes doubly apparent when you get to the orginial chapters 4-8 and the first remake of chapter 1. The art is bad and everybody talks in exposition, but at least there motivations make sense.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9424
    Fubar!
    Update:http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9428
    Sounds like Drows are okay with Incest, which might also cover the f word.
    Last edited by t209; 2013-06-15 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Update
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, the latest Vaelia story is done. And it seems Sarv has some REAL anger managment problems.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #730
    Halfling in the Playground

****'s gonna go dooooooooown.
    (really though, **** is pretty much in freefall at this point)

nice harem ya got there kiel

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Wonder how much sybolism and forshadoing is in this one. The lines connecting all the characters show that they all go back to one place, Ariel. Kiel is still connected, but only indirectly through Chrys. I suspect that the way the characters are standing/looking probably has meaning. (Some people looking up, down or around or at other characters)

No lines to the Forum Blob though, so who knows how they will react or what part they will play.

No Diva again though. But avoiding Snads is a very good thing for her to do.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2013-06-22 at 07:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

Question: Is Anjhali's Path to Power canon to main storyline? And also
    Spoiler
    Show
    are they building the wing glider from nausicaa?

Edit: http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9464
    This is the one strip that you should read.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #733

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Question: Is Anjhali's Path to Power canon to main storyline?
    well, she did appear in chapter 16.

And also
    Spoiler
    Show
    are they building the wing glider from nausicaa?
    not really. that's just the artist's impression.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ok, did not see that coming. Don't think Ariel did either.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9473
    seems like Quintanna actually proud of her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the fact that she's born of woman and woman.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9473
    seems like Quintanna actually proud of her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the fact that she's born of woman and woman.
    Umm.

Spoiler
    Show
    No. Ariel's father was an Aware. A Dark Elf who had been transformed into a huge spider. His name is Zhor and if one of the side stories is correct, Diva's first knight. "Women and woman" would be Kalki.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Umm.

Spoiler
    Show
    No. Ariel's father was an Aware. A Dark Elf who had been transformed into a huge spider. His name is Zhor and if one of the side stories is correct, Diva's first knight. "Women and woman" would be Kalki.
    I thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    it was a lie to keep her heritage secret. One of the comics showed that her mother is the daughter who was in jail before her arm was smashed in mafia fashion.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #738

the only lie regarding her heritage is that she's quain's daughter (instead of granddaughter).
    also, i don't know why you're putting this into spoiler tags. anyone reading this far in the thread should already know it.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Oh, man poor Diva. Still stuck providing comedy for the story. I would hate to be those two if she decided to get revenge though.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Some very nice art for the Skywell on this page. And Ariel now enjoys the rain.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9522
    I am afraid to say this but
    Was it supposed to be OOTS reference?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9522
    I am afraid to say this but
    Was it supposed to be OOTS reference?
    You mean the cloak? Don't think so. Shargess officer cloaks have been that color for a long time.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

A road trip with Kiel and Co. on top of a giant rock turtle (and mini fortress) that can breath fire.

I wonder how long it will be before someone asks "Are we there yet?"

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9556
    Any discussion? Kiel's the drow version of Deadpool.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think there are many more difference between Keil and The Pool than similarities. Keil is actually sane (though she may not act it at times) and the voices she hears in her head are real. They come from this world. She also is not the only one that has a connection to the real world, Kharla can apparently see this world as well (for example her servents cloths before the time jump are french maids uiniforms. And she carries around a bright yellow rubber duck right now). I would not be hugely surprised if Diva does not know something as well.

Keil is also much more responsible than Deadpool. She has been running her Clan for 15 years now. Deadpool couldn't do that kind of job for 15 days before going off to do something else.

Keil is also less destructive than Deadpool. She does not destroy or kill for kicks. There is a reason for what she does, even if it's slightly off the wall.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think there are many more difference between Keil and The Pool than similarities. Keil is actually sane (though she may not act it at times) and the voices she hears in her head are real. They come from this world. She also is not the only one that has a connection to the real world, Kharla can apparently see this world as well (for example her servents cloths before the time jump are french maids uiniforms. And she carries around a bright yellow rubber duck right now). I would not be hugely surprised if Diva does not know something as well.

Keil is also much more responsible than Deadpool. She has been running her Clan for 15 years now. Deadpool couldn't do that kind of job for 15 days before going off to do something else.

Keil is also less destructive than Deadpool. She does not destroy or kill for kicks. There is a reason for what she does, even if it's slightly off the wall.
    Let's see Deadpool, Pinkie Pie, and Kiel. At least they are forth wall breaking nut jobs. Anyone else?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, end of chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Sil'lice and company are going to attack Felde, which is where Kiel is going with her fire breathing Turtle of DooM. I have a bad feeling that Snads has planned for someone to attack. But there is something I don't think she could have predicted and that Kiel is bringing her sister Kharla along. IIRC she can actually EAT demons. And at long last the demon god fragment Discordia has shown up. Looks like while the Kiel cat's is away, the demon mice will play. However, I think the scariest thing in this whole chapter has been learning that Chiri tells jokes.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

http://drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9585
    Spoiler
    Show

The attack has begun.

Any Drowtales Space Age subscribers.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ouch, I think the war has hit a new stage of bloody carnage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Carving demon gates into kids, frying people with flamethrowers (or something similar) and dragons (and their riders) being ripped limb from limb by wargolems. Still the Vel Sharen still seem to be on the loosing side as the Sarghess are hitting the last line of exterior defense for the Council Chambers and seem to be crushing it.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2013-09-10 at 06:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Bugbear in the Playground

What is the point of this silly Fruits War thing? Is it supposed to do something? It does not play anything in my browser.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.