New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Drowtales: The Info Dump

I hope the Little Bear roars Very Loudly and Very Lethally.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daaaaaarck.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #1143

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Vene is dead.

I think Faen could knock these two out with her empath skills if she wasn't knocked out cold herself just now. It might hit the other kids too like it did Ariel and Chiri back in Ys, but considering the situation...
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-11-13 at 05:57 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If Faen is an empath who has trouble not feeling other people's feelings, why didn't she feel the children's terror?

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Vene is dead.

I think Faen could knock these two out with her empath skills if she wasn't knocked out cold herself just now. It might hit the other kids too like it did Ariel and Chiri back in Ys, but considering the situation...
    Kern pretty much said so in the forum. OTOH, he gave away a huge spoiler regarding the other kids.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-13 at 09:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1145

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    If Faen is an empath who has trouble not feeling other people's feelings, why didn't she feel the children's terror?
    Yeah, this is a point that has bothered me a few times. This is not the first time Faen empathy doesn't seem to work for no reason.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

She's a sensitive girl. There's a lot of nastiness and pain in the world that she'd prefer not to feel. So she closes herself off.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    She's a sensitive girl. There's a lot of nastiness and pain in the world that she'd prefer not to feel. So she closes herself off.
    But I thought she couldn't do that entirely. Also she wanted to know how they were doing. One would think that she could open her empathy up a little at times and even target people. Ariel apparently thought she was good enough that she might have help Quain a little, so apparently she has some control.

Kern pretty much said so in the forum. OTOH, he gave away a huge spoiler regarding the other kids.
    Just in case I should have spelled it out:
    Spoiler: Kern's spoiler
    Show
    Since getting killed removed a kid from the cover, the other two kids will probably survive since they are on the cover.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-13 at 01:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1148

She could take a look into the Val'Sharen when they got back home. So she can definitely focus.

I think that Faen has three problems. The first is that empathy is a heck of a power, probably the strongest in the comic, and giving it clear rules is very difficult without a hell of an infodump. So she just has her Gohan moments or does little things like making people less angry at Ariel. The second problem is that she has not had any active role in the plot yet after she left that note to Tralyn, so we don't really know what she does. The third problem is that writing a mind-broken character requires much focus and skill, and, while I think that Kern could actually handle it, it would require a lot of screen time in a story with a billion subplots and a rather loose structure.

Now, if I were an empath, I would constantly be keeping tabs at least on people I care for. If I would have doubts about constantly checking on my lover because of the risk of being an intrusive stalker, I would constantly be checking children under my responsibility, especially if it's a full time job.

On the other side, it could be that Quain has learned how to shield certain areas from empaths. Empaths can kill, so children in a room could very well end up dead.

Or maybe the children only understood how bad things were going when Vene was killed, and Faen got the nasty signal the same moment she heard from inside.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

There is a fourth issue with Faen. She doesn't have control of her power half the time as she has never been trained to use it properly. And that leads to situations like this one.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    There is a fourth issue with Faen. She doesn't have control of her power half the time as she has never been trained to use it properly. And that leads to situations like this one.
    I would like to know how Faen not having control of her power half the time leads to situations like this one. I didn't see Faen attempting to use her powers at all. That seemed to be the problem this time.

And no, I don't think Faen learned anything via empathy at the same time as the sound. To me, she looked as nervous as she would have looked under the circumstances even without any empath abilities. The simple fact that there was a strange guard that wouldn't let her in then a bad sound would have made anyone nervous, especially someone with her personality.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-14 at 09:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to know how Faen not having control of her power half the time leads to situations like this one. I didn't see Faen attempting to use her powers at all. That seemed to be the problem this time.

And no, I don't think Faen learned anything via empathy at the same time as the sound. To me, she looked as nervous as she would have looked under the circumstances even without any empath abilities. The simple fact that there was a strange guard that wouldn't let her in then a bad sound would have made anyone nervous, especially someone with her personality.
    Faen is no independent strong woman. I could well imagine she's paralyzed with panic. In her defense, though, the situation didn't call for a detailed empathic inspection. It's pretty obvious what is happening. Stopping to prove it with her empathy would only delay her when time is of the essence. Now that she's in the room, if she uses her empathy to project the children's terror and pain on their attackers, it could save the two remaining kids.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Faen is no independent strong woman. I could well imagine she's paralyzed with panic. In her defense, though, the situation didn't call for a detailed empathic inspection. It's pretty obvious what is happening. Stopping to prove it with her empathy would only delay her when time is of the essence. Now that she's in the room, if she uses her empathy to project the children's terror and pain on their attackers, it could save the two remaining kids.
    I thought she was knocked unconscious. If so, there wouldn't seem to be a reason for the soldiers to leave the remaining kids or her alive long enough for her to regain consciousness and do something.

Sang said that she sent a squad to extract the kids. I assume they will do the rescuing, rather than Faen. However, Kern said, "...knocking Faen down" not "...out," so maybe she will remain conscious and will do something , but Kern's English isn't that good, so I'm not sure how much to read into what he said. I still think it will be mostly the Assault legion people.

The main reason, IMO, for thinking that Faen might do something would be that's what the fans would like to see and Kern tends to bow to their wishes. He is probably especially likely to do that since Moonless Age is so close to ending.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-14 at 10:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought she was knocked unconscious. ...
    I meant before the soldier opened the door. She heard suspicious noises from inside. The 'guard' wasn't doing anything and tried to make her leave. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was happening.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I meant before the soldier opened the door. She heard suspicious noises from inside. The 'guard' wasn't doing anything and tried to make her leave. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was happening.
    Yes, it would! Well, at least it would take someone who is less naive than Ariel and Faen. I don't think either of them would have thought that a coup was possible or that there could be Sharen agents or whatever is going on. Ariel needed to have the danger spelled out for her. Why would you expect that Faen would be any different?

Secondly, the artwork just made her look nervous and insecure when she walked in. It didn't make her look "paralyzed with panic," as you put it earlier. Obviously, she would have known that something was wrong, but I think that Faen was much to naive to be able to guess what it was.

I suspect the biggest problem is that you aren't considering that Faen doesn't have the same information available to her that we have had. The previous pages and even the panels at the top of the page foreshadowed what happened, but Faen couldn't read them.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-14 at 11:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Obvious to us the readers. But we know about the Clan going to war with itself, Quain going nuts and people wanting to kill all of her family. Faen does NOT know this. She only knows there is an odd hostile guard and a strange noise. And Faen has met more than a few people that are hostile to her just because of who she is (a Val) so it's not that odd and she probably has a VERY hard time imagining that anyone would want to hurt the kids.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

New comic.

Spoiler
    Show
    The main reason, IMO, for thinking that Faen might do something would be that's what the fans would like to see and Kern tends to bow to their wishes. He is probably especially likely to do that since Moonless Age is so close to ending.
    So, now that's happening. Yep, the soldiers not only didn't kill her when they had their chance; they didn't even manage to knock her unconscious. What good was knocking her down supposed to do?

What were those soldiers intending to do originally? They are acting as if they didn't originally intend to kill the kids, but didn't know how else to keep them quiet! So what else were they planning to do? Maybe they're just bad babysitters?

It would have been possible that they were part of a larger revolt and wanted to eliminate all Vals, but in that case, they should have intended to kill the kids from the beginning. Maybe they wanted to keep some Vals alive so they could be executed publicly, but why would you do that with small children? You can't pretend that the children committed any crimes or horrible acts. If they know Quain at all, they should know that they wouldn't have been any use as hostages. They just would have made themselves the first victims of Quain's retaliation. None of these ideas seem likely at all.

I have a feeling that Kern didn't bother coming up with any plan for those clowns that went beyond simply trying to keep the kids quiet.

17. - Top - End - #1157

New comic.

Spoiler
    Show

So, now that's happening. Yep, the soldiers not only didn't kill her when they had their chance; they didn't even manage to knock her unconscious. What good was knocking her down supposed to do?

What were those soldiers intending to do originally? They are acting as if they didn't originally intend to kill the kids, but didn't know how else to keep them quiet! So what else were they planning to do? Maybe they're just bad babysitters?

It would have been possible that they were part of a larger revolt and wanted to eliminate all Vals, but in that case, they should have intended to kill the kids from the beginning. Maybe they wanted to keep some Vals alive so they could be executed publicly, but why would you do that with small children? You can't pretend that the children committed any crimes or horrible acts. If they know Quain at all, they should know that they wouldn't have been any use as hostages. They just would have made themselves the first victims of Quain's retaliation. None of these ideas seem likely at all.

I have a feeling that Kern didn't bother coming up with any plan for those clowns that went beyond simply trying to keep the kids quiet.
    Whatever they are, I am getting the feeling that they are two seriously incapable fellows. I mean, in general, all they are doing is wrong. They're bad at stuff. And people tasked with shady affairs in DT usually are the worst and most expendable: Kiel, the scourges, and so on. The only capable assassins I can think of right now are the Fallen and Khaless.

They could be some extra incapable, very loyal soldiers of Sang she sent to extract the kids. They might be an external entity. Quain said that there might have been a spy in her Clan, it might be them or their boss.

The problem is that there are a lot of reasons to kill Quain's blood, inside as well as outside the clan. The Jaal, some of the green guys, Snadhya, random commander, random faction, I even wondered if it could have been Sillice and her daughter (one tainted and one not, killing children, it seems not too impossible for them), in general one would wonder "who doesn't want those kids killed?". And my personal answer is Koil, because she actually has no problem with them. She's a val, and Quain's daughter from a legal point of view. Her target should be Ariel instead. Her mother, however, might just wish to punch Quain where she is weakest (but not in the face).

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Whatever they are, I am getting the feeling that they are two seriously incapable fellows. I mean, in general, all they are doing is wrong. They're bad at stuff. And people tasked with shady affairs in DT usually are the worst and most expendable: Kiel, the scourges, and so on. The only capable assassins I can think of right now are the Fallen and Khaless.
    But at least until now, every assassin understood that the idea was to kill someone. Understanding that concept is an important first step in being an assassin. I really hope that these guys weren't supposed to be assassins. But yes, I agree with your point that the shady characters tend to be pretty out there, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    They could be some extra incapable, very loyal soldiers of Sang she sent to extract the kids.
    I also really hope that Sang or a subordinate didn't think that those two could carry three kids anywhere while protecting them from assassination attempts! But yeah, it's possible that Sang said, "Send someone," and the person who decided who to send either didn't understand the danger or just didn't think things through. I didn't think these were Sang's people because they are wearing red, while the people around Sang are mostly wearing blue (but some red), but I don't understand uniforms. Maybe the difference is rank, not organization?

19. - Top - End - #1159

Griffon

New page.

I remember seeing these soldiers in a scene together with Koil, but I'm pretty sure it was Suu'be who ordered the kids killed. Koil has never displayed any interest in becoming anything else than a general and she is a sensible person, so even if she thought the situation required her to lead I think she would more likely actually talk to Ariel about what to do, rather try to seize power in a mad rush.

Yeah, I think Suube is to blame and that Koil doesn't even know and is going to be very pissed when she hears about this.

20. - Top - End - #1160

These are the bad boys, the people who murdered civilians and cut pieces off and one of them worships some weird deity of slaughter, and were also seen taking Sillice's place as torturers cutting Nirnaya to pieces.

So, uhm, "poor guy?"

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

This could be the worst or the Best person Faen and co could run into. Or maybe the best worst person.

22. - Top - End - #1162

Griffon

My guess is that that's actually Ariel. I hope she didn't forget the scar on Quain's face.

EDIT:
    Or not. Based on today's update it looks like it really is Quain.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-11-24 at 05:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If something does not stop it, the next page is going to be nothing but blood.

24. - Top - End - #1164

I see a comedic element in Suube giving the stinky eye to that Fallen.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Not a Quain fan by any means, but man is she a unholy terror in combat. I do think Suube has something to do with this, but I do not think she wanted or knew the kids would be killed. And Ariel, it's about damn time to show that Quain is your grandma, your father is Zhor and kick some tail. Please?

26. - Top - End - #1166

Griffon

Not a Quain fan by any means, but man is she a unholy terror in combat. I do think Suube has something to do with this, but I do not think she wanted or knew the kids would be killed. And Ariel, it's about damn time to show that Quain is your grandma, your father is Zhor and kick some tail. Please?
    Just... forget about Mel, ok? The less you're like her, the better.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Just... forget about Mel, ok? The less you're like her, the better.
    Oh, TOTALY agree on that one. I really can't understand why Zhor stays with her.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, TOTALY agree on that one. I really can't understand why Zhor stays with her.
    Meh, she's naive and doesn't care about power and politics. If Quain was smart she would let her find a mate she actually liked and settle down for the quiet home life she wanted. If warrior kids were important enough to have her daughter serially raped, why not do it with the mindless zombie daughter? She It wouldn't care (since it's a mindless zombie).

29. - Top - End - #1169

Griffon

Love is blind? Also, perhaps more importantly, Zhor is one of the very few characters who is actually honestly kind. Mel has her faults, but there's no question that she has suffered greatly and he was there to witness it close by.

I think Zhor is the only one who truly cares about Mel, and he knows that too, so I doubt he'll ever leave her by choice.

Meh, she's naive and doesn't care about power and politics. If Quain was smart she would let her find a mate she actually liked and settle down for the quiet home life she wanted. If warrior kids were important enough to have her daughter serially raped, why not do it with the mindless zombie daughter? She It wouldn't care (since it's a mindless zombie).
    Quain... is a control freak. Mel disobeyed her wishes/commands straight to her face, and that she could never tolerate. Perhaps if Mel had played her cards differently, I don't know..

As for Laele, I see two possible reasons:
    1. Her body is damaged too bad for having children.
    2. Quain actually liked Laele, a lot, and wouldn't do it out of respect to her.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

It's only inferred that Mel was attacked like that on Quain's orders. I don't think it's ever been confirmed. I know Quain is a Class *A* &*$%$ but I think there are some things even she would not do.