New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

Sorry, about that I'm trying to figure out on how to make the table on these forums. Wizards get 5 spells at first level and then 2 for every level after that. Broomstick rules will be posted when I have a long day where I'm not doing anything else.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

But there are different races in Harry Potter:

Humans(wizards)
    House-Elves
    Goblins
    Centaurs
    Merfolk
    Half-Giants

to say that least. These were ones that appeared to be full-fledged thinking beings, ones interacted with by Harry. Arguably some other creatures like Vampires and Giants are mentioned offscreen
    I'd also like to see a Veela bloodline and a template for AIDS Lycanthropy. I could do a preliminary crunch for some of these if you want.
    Last edited by The Anarresti; 2010-08-13 at 11:20 AM.
    My wonderful Avatar is by licoot.

3. - Top - End - #33

RedWizardGuy

Sure, go ahead and make the preliminary crunch, if you'd like. I would love to see what you have for ideas, and what you turn out.

Also, here is what I think a half-veela should be.
    Half-Veela
    • +2 Charisma -2 Wisdom.
    • Medium: As a medium creatures, Half-Veela have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Half-Veela base land speed is 30 feet.
    • +4 Bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy,and Sense Motive Checks, but only against men.
    • Unearthly Attraction: Half-Veela's are some of the most beautiful women on the planet. Whenever, a man approaches a Half-Veela he must make a Will save equal to 10+the Half-Veela's charimsa+ 1/2 of the Half-Veela's HD. If they fail the save they attitude to the Half-Veela increases by one step. Those that successfully resist Unearthly attraction, are immune to that Half-Veela's Unearthly Attraction for 24 hours. Those already in a relationship gain a +4 bonus to their Will save. The effects of Unearthly Attraction only last for 24 hours, after which a new Will Save is allowed. This also causes the Half-Veela to take a -4 penalty to Disguise checks, for people who are looking for her.
    • Automatic Languages: Common Bonus Languages: Any
    • Favored Class: Wizard/Witch. A multiclass Half-Veela's wizard/witch class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclass

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 04:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

The counterspelling mechanic in the avatar D20 system makes sense, and I think it will do well in an HP d20 system.

Well I'd be glad to help out some, especially with play-testing when the time comes. Until then, what can I do?

5. - Top - End - #35

RedWizardGuy

Well, its fairly early in the project so there is still loads to do. I guess what are you interested in? Also, what do you think of the spells, and the half-veela for balance?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    Sure, go ahead and make the preliminary crunch, if you'd like. I would love to see what you have for ideas, and what you turn out.

Also, here is what I think a half-veela should be.
    Half-Veela
    • +2 Charisma -2 Wisdom.
    • Medium: As a medium creatures, alfar have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Half-Veela base land speed is 30 feet.
    • +2 Bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy,and Sense Motive Checks, but only against men.
    • Unearthly Attraction: Half-Veela's are some of the most beautiful women on the planet. Whenever, a man approaches a Half-Veela he must make a Will save equal to 10+the Half-Veela's charimsa+ 1/2 of the Half-Veela's HD. If they fail the save they attitude to the Half-Veela increases by one step. Those that successfully resist Unearthly attraction, are immune to that Half-Veela's Unearthly Attraction for 24 hours. Those already in a relationship gain a +4 bonus to their Will save. The effects of Unearthly Attraction only last for 24 hours, after which a new Will Save is allowed.
    • Automatic Languages: Common Bonus Languages: Any
    • Favored Class: Wizard/Witch. A multiclass Half-Veela's wizard/witch class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclass

Thoughts?
    Alfar? ^_^

You mean Veela

Make it opposite sex, not against men.

EDIT: Their are ACTUAL VEELA in a Dragon Issue.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

7. - Top - End - #37

RedWizardGuy

I said men, because nowhere I could find it including on HP wiki, did it say there were any men there.

Also, yeah I used the Alfar as the template since I wasn't sure, on how to make a template for a race. I hope you don't mind.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

I could help work on anything, but if you don't have a preference, I would work on adapting the current magic classes to this system, write up some more spells, and work on wands.

The half-veela actually looks underpowered. If has nothing special aside from it's unearthly attraction, which is only useful against men, and can sometimes work as a penalty rather than a bonus.

9. - Top - End - #39

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aranii View Post
    I could help work on anything, but if you don't have a preference, I would work on adapting the current magic classes to this system, write up some more spells, and work on wands.

The half-veela actually looks underpowered. If has nothing special aside from it's unearthly attraction, which is only useful against men, and can sometimes work as a penalty rather than a bonus.
    Would you mind working on some more spells. You can look at the main list for ideas for wording and spell DC I suppose. Also for the half-veela how about we make it a +4 bonus while limited against men. Also, how could it be a penalty?

10. - Top - End - #40

RedWizardGuy

Wands: The wand chooses the wizard or witch. Young wizards or witch's go into shops, and take their first step into the magical world. Wands, provide certain benefits. They allow a wizard or witch to cast spells. With the wands that they first receive they become magically attuned to. All such wands provide a +1 bonus to any spell they cast. Each wand is also, has a natural affinity for a certain type of magic. The type of wand, selected determines the type of bonus.

Types of Wood for the Wands:

Mahogany: Provides a +2 to all Transfiguration spells.

Willow: Provides a +2 bonus to all Charm spells.

Holly: Provides a +2 bonus to Defense Against the Dark Arts Spells.

These ones are quite clearly defined in the books as to what types of spells they are good at. I'm not sure, about the other types of wood and how to handle the core of each wand. Any idea's?

I also posted the main class. I know there are a lot of dead levels, and I plan on rectifying that. Also, I will work on typing up the class feautres. Also, I am using the Class as Defense Variant using Column B.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 01:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

In HP, the selection of a wand is a very important event. Not only is each wand unique because of its wood/core combination, but also because of its intangible characteristics, such as some wands being flexible, unyielding, or brittle. I think that certain characteristics should also give bonuses to some spells/abilities, this will help characters develop unique roles and specialties.

I think the change to the half-veela will work well. The unearthly attraction bonus can become a penalty anytime the witch doesn't want the attention.

The main class looks good, and the dead levels will be filled with spell knowledge gained. However, I think that adding alternate base classes could also be useful, such as seers and warlocks. Having only one base class would make characters much more generic.

12. - Top - End - #42

RedWizardGuy

I will make the change to the veela. I will also make it so that Unearthly Attraction, poses a -4 penalty to disguise checks against people who may know her. How does that sound?

Also, do you wish to make any wands? If so go right ahead.

Also, I was going to make several prestige classes such as seers or warlock, death eater etc.. I also forgot to add divination to the skills known I forgot about it. Also since, there are so many skills available that each character will have their own niche. So while it may seem generic, the sheer number of spells available will most likely make each person choose one area of focus.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 01:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I will make the change to the veela. I will also make it so that Unearthly Attraction, poses a -4 penalty to disguise checks against people who may know her. How does that sound?

Also, do you wish to make any wands? If so go right ahead.

Also, I was going to make several prestige classes such as seers or warlock, death eater etc.. I also forgot to add divination to the skills known I forgot about it. Also since, there are so many skills available that each character will have their own niche. So while it may seem generic, the sheer number of spells available will most likely make each person choose one area of focus.
    IDK, why?

She never really clarifies what a Warlock is. Also, Auror should be one too. And I'd say so should Animagus, but the feat does a nice job taking care of that.

And no, I don't care you used Alfar as a template

14. - Top - End - #44

RedWizardGuy

Personally, I've always thought that a warlock was a male wizard. That or somebody who used "dark" magic. That's just my view. Also, Auror will be one of many prestige classes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Personally, I've always thought that a warlock was a male wizard. That or somebody who used "dark" magic. That's just my view. Also, Auror will be one of many prestige classes.
    ...? Aren't all male wizards wizards? I don't undrstand

16. - Top - End - #46

RedWizardGuy

Sorry that was a fail on my part. Yes, all male wizards are wizards. Witches are female, my bad. Also, I added some more stuff for the class. I will add the detail about it later.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I was considering a Harry Potter d20 once. Instead of STR, DEX etc. I had the base stats as the magic subjects (Transfiguration, Charms, Potions etc). It was a pretty huge departure from D&D d20. Might be too radical for your system.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

18. - Top - End - #48

RedWizardGuy

Personally, I like the system that I've been working on and think it is a bit too radical for me. However, do you like what I've done and if so would you ever like to contribute anything here?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thinking about Half-Giants...

Half-Giant
    • +2 Strength +2 Constitution -2 Intelliegence -2 Wisdom.
    • Medium: As a medium creatures, half-giants have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • A half-giant's base land speed is 30 feet.
    Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    • Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Giant
    • Favored Class: [Insert]. A multiclass hald-giant's [Insert] class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclass.

Should their be something else?

And who says their can't be a Half-Veela of the masculine persuasion?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 04:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Thinking about Half-Giants...

Half-Giant
    • +2 Strength +2 Constitution -2 Intelliegence -2 Wisdom.
    • Medium: As a medium creatures, half-giants have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • A half-giant's base land speed is 30 feet.
    Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    • Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Giant
    • Favored Class: [Insert]. A multiclass hald-giant's [Insert] class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclass.

Should their be something else?

And who says their can't be a Half-Veela of the masculine persuasion?
    The race looks good, I approve. Also, thinking about it, it makes sense that there would be male Half-Veela's even if Veela's are only women. Not all of their offspring, would be women. I will change that in the descriptions.

Also, I realized we've done a lot of work today. Yay us.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The race looks good, I approve. Also, thinking about it, it makes sense that there would be male Half-Veela's even if Veela's are only women. Not all of their offspring, would be women. I will change that in the descriptions.

Also, I realized we've done a lot of work today. Yay us.
    Cool.

What should the half-giants favourite class be? And didn't Fleur mention a brother or am I insane?

Good Work Five!!

22. - Top - End - #52

RedWizardGuy

I'm not sure if Fleur ever did mention a brother, but its been a while since I've read the books. I know she had a sister. Also, for half-giants I would just say their favored class is any. Since they are half-human that seems to make sense enough for me. Also, I added descriptions for some of the class, features tell me what you think.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm not sure if Fleur ever did mention a brother, but its been a while since I've read the books. I know she had a sister. Also, for half-giants I would just say their favored class is any. Since they are half-human that seems to make sense enough for me. Also, I added descriptions for some of the class, features tell me what you think.
    Erm. Where exactly?

Also, well, for half-giants, a parent is going to be a wizard or a witch, so maybe tha should be their favoured class. It is for the Half-Veela too.

We're going to have a problem with Centaurs. Their's not a snowballs sense in hell we can do that w/o LA.

24. - Top - End - #54

RedWizardGuy

Centaurs, will have to be done with LA, although honestly I doubt anybody will play one in a Hogwarts setting, due to there being so many different issues. The class features are in a spoiler underneath the table. I will also edit the changes for Half-Veela and Half-Giant.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Found it.

Everything but the Magical Blast looks good. And the only reason I dont like it, is becuase their isnt any book support of rhtat being true.

And your right about the Centaurs I suppose. Any idea how you'll get the other classes to make sense in the setting?

26. - Top - End - #56

RedWizardGuy

I put the magical blast because it was in the movies and I was tossing the people who loved the movies a bone. Thinking about it though, I'll just take it out as it doesn't fit in any of the books.

Other classes. well honestly I can't think of any other class at the start that you would want to take if you started at Hogwarts. Aristocrat's, and Experts will still see some use as once they leave school they could become traders or politicians. Rouges will still be in there for those who wish for rougish abilities such as Fred and George. I can't really imagine anybody wishing to take any other base classes, and will most likely want to go into prestige classes.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I put the magical blast because it was in the movies and I was tossing the people who loved the movies a bone. Thinking about it though, I'll just take it out as it doesn't fit in any of the books.

Other classes. well honestly I can't think of any other class at the start that you would want to take if you started at Hogwarts. Aristocrat's, and Experts will still see some use as once they leave school they could become traders or politicians. Rouges will still be in there for those who wish for rougish abilities such as Fred and George. I can't really imagine anybody wishing to take any other base classes, and will most likely want to go into prestige classes.
    OK.

Granted. Though, when are you thinking people would get Prestige Class acsess? For a while, it'd be pretty darn bpring everyone being the same class. Maybe people want to start their adventure outside of Hogwarts? What then? Most people dont want to RP an 11 year old, even if they are HP fans?

Also, are spells learned forever, or are they chosen each day? Spontaneous casting seems like the best fit (IMO).
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 05:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

RedWizardGuy

Spells are learned forever, and can be cast as many times per day as wished. Also, while everyone is the same base class, nobody will have enough points to be good at everything. So I think it will still be fun at the Hogwarts level. Prestige classes would probably start to open up around 6th level or near the end of the Hogwarts career.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 05:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spells are learned forever, and can be cast as many times per day as wished. Also, while everyone is the same base class, nobody will have enough points to be good at everything. So I think it will still be fun at the Hogwarts level. Prestige classes would probably start to open up around 6th level or near the end of the Hogwarts career.
    OK. But, if your in Hogwarts, you learn knew spells. It is a school afterall. Shouldn't their be something besides a feat for learning knew spells?

30. - Top - End - #60

RedWizardGuy

What exactly are you proposing? Are you saying, that there should be some type of research/study before you can cast a spell? I was thinking of making some type of mechanic for that.