New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    Ok, I can do the Death Eater. Also, just so that everybody knows not all of the Dark Wizards and Witch's who followed Voldermort were Death Eaters. Only his most trusted and powerful followers were.
    So any of the named ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Death Eater will be a Prestige Class. I will also, get around to drawing up some sample characters when I have more free time.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cool. Cool. Like the Avatar d20 then? Very similar these two projects.

4. - Top - End - #214

RedWizardGuy

I just wanted to say I'm sorry I haven't been posting much in this thread or the site. I will be doing the Death Eater today, and one of the Iconic characters. However, I realized that the Transfiguration section is severely lacking so if anybody could help with that I would appreciate it.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, how?

6. - Top - End - #216

RedWizardGuy

Making up new Transfiguration spells using the new baseline we made. The book has loads of examples as does the movies.

7. - Top - End - #217

Making up new Transfiguration spells using the new baseline we made. The book has loads of examples as does the movies.
    I have a different idea. Instead of lots of pointlessly specific spells, have modifiers for how much the Hardness is modified, how much the Size changes, how much Intelligence the new creature demonstrates (if living) etc.

8. - Top - End - #218

RedWizardGuy

The original way I had it was to make inanimate to animate and vica versa. I then gave each a base DC, and modified it based on size and similarties between the two different things. We changed it because a wizard would only ever really know a few base spells that could each do so many different things. However, making a spell for everything you would want to do would become tedious. I need to think about what shall be done. Personally I liked the original way better in terms of how it worked, but I wasn't sure on the balance of it. The other way I like the balance of it, but it could become problamatic in game.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

As Imbasel said, the reason we abandoned the old system was for balance reasons. By learning two spells a wizard would have at his disposal Polymorph any Object, limited only by how high he can augment his transfiguration score. Instead, we opted to write a few sample transfiguration spells, so that when players want to transfigure something, they and their DM can work out a new spell using the basic template.

10. - Top - End - #220

RedWizardGuy

We could always go back to the previous system, if we find the new way is too difficult to use. I'm running a game using these rules so we should be able to find out how it works. Also, sorry for not putting the Death Eater up, I was exhausted last night. However, tonight I will more then make up for it I hope.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm guessing the Dark Mark brand will be something gotten at 1st level in the PRC?

Fenrir Greyback (wizard and werewolf) is a notable case of a Voldemort follower who's allowed to wear the robes, but doesn't have the mark. Sort of a "pseudo-Death Eater".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #222

RedWizardGuy

Yes, the Dark Mark will be something the Dark Wizard shall receive at first level. Also, Fenrir Greyback, may not have had the mark due to him not being within the inner circle of Voldermort. Not all who followed him had the Dark Mark. Draco's mother supported Voldermort, but was never had the Dark Mark.

It's great to see new interest in this. Do you like what's been done? Also, if you have any suggestions feel free to say them, and if you want to contribute that would be great as well.

13. - Top - End - #223

I've looked- I'm impressed. Maybe there could be a generic "dark wizard" PRC for all those like Grindelwald, Slytherin, Urquehart the inventor of the Entrail-Expelling Curse, etc.

Wizards who don't take the PRC might be capable of using The Dark Arts (Umbridge could be a good candidate) but are never as good at it as either Dark Wizards or Death Eaters.

Fenrir Greyback could maybe be a Dark Wizard, but perhaps not Narcissa Malfoy.

14. - Top - End - #224

RedWizardGuy

Honestly, for the generic dark wizard I just thought using and creating dark spells would be enough, and they wouldn't need a prestige class. Also, would you ever run this with your friends or would they like it? If so please pass it on to them. If you ever get a game going let me know how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #225

True- it's just that when it comes to Hogwarts (which doesn't teach The Dark Arts at all) learning the dark arts might be something difficult that needs special effort (maybe seeking out dark wizards or dark creatures and learning from them).

Hmm- I wonder how well these rules would work if imported into a standard D&D game, with Potterwizards replacing standard arcane spellcasters?

Some of the other casting (divine, psionic) might have to be removed or modified as well for such a campaign- but less overpowered wizards could be fun to play.

16. - Top - End - #226

RedWizardGuy

Well here is one part that I like about the system. You can only learn spells with access to a book or a teacher/instructor. So if you want to be a dark wizard you need to go to the forbidden section of hogwarts, or try and find a student who has also learned that spell.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well here is one part that I like about the system. You can only learn spells with access to a book or a teacher/instructor. So if you want to be a dark wizard you need to go to the forbidden section of hogwarts, or try and find a student who has also learned that spell.

Assuming you went to Hogwarts. You could;ve gone to Durmstrang.

18. - Top - End - #228

RedWizardGuy

That's very true. Durmstrang students actually learn the dark arts as part of their education. Also, I plan on running a harry potter game setting in america once the current playtesting group is done (which could take many months or hopefully years). I think the biggest thing with the system is transfiguration. I plan on running the way we are doing it, but will ask the players if they can try out the previous method. Then we can see which works better.

19. - Top - End - #229

I've had a look at the site- it's interesting- very interesting- but could do with a bit of formatting. Spell names in bold, the feat Animagi should probably be Animagus, and pluralized words shouldn't have apostrophes.

So, for example, indead of "Gryffindor's are brave, daring, and chivalrous" it should be "Gryffindors are brave, daring, and chivalrous"

Otherwise though- it is looking good.

(While it might be a bit powerful- weren't half-giants famous for their ability to shrug off attack spells other than Conjunctivitus Curses? Maybe give them a magic resistance bonus, in return for LA +1?)

20. - Top - End - #230

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I have a lot of formatting I need to do on the site.

21. - Top - End - #231

I'd say a good idea might be to try and make it look as much like a standard D&D splatbook as possible, in layout, text style, art, etc.

With the caveat of being more clear and harder to misunderstand that D&D rules sometimes are.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Where's the Death Eater listed? I'm not seeing it on the site.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteNothing View Post
    Where's the Death Eater listed? I'm not seeing it on the site.
    It isn't yet

24. - Top - End - #234

RedWizardGuy

It will be don't worry. I'm at my grandparents and their net connection is bad to be generous. I will be here for a week so my plan is to work on things in microsoft word, and then move it over to the site. The Death Eater should be up by midnight tonight.

25. - Top - End - #235

I didn't see this spell. Flipendo.

The Knockback Jinx is a spell which can be used to 'knock back' an opponent, blast jars and creatures or activate magically charmed switches. The incantation of this spell is Flipendo. It is considered to be a most basic spell and is described as 'utilitarian'. Chapter One in The Standard Book of Spells Grade 1 and 2 are both descriptions of how to cast and use this jinx. It can easily be deflected by a simple Shield or Disarming Charm. -Harrypotter.wikia.com
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Knockback_Jinx

I will have to read through all the pages, what I seen so far is great work btw.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

He hasn't done them all yet. If they're done they're on the front page. Maybe you would like to stat it up?

27. - Top - End - #237

Sorry, didn't know if it was just forgotten.

I am not so familiar with this variant, and just remembered the spell from playing the game series a while back.

28. - Top - End - #238

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the comments I really appreciate it. Anyway, I plan on doing all the spells from the book first and then the movies.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thanks for the comments I really appreciate it. Anyway, I plan on doing all the spells from the book first and then the movies.
    Start with the first book. *Good for your playtesters COUGH*

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

You could probably just go with my perks system instead.

Say, being a wizard requires a wand. With a wand, they can cast spells that they know - which cost Xp (the higher level the spell, the more the Xp).

Leveling up is only available when allowed by the GM, not at an Xp point - however the Xp point determines how much Xp you will have to spend to level up - so characters never actually need to keep Xp (unless hoarding it).

At most, Harry Potter (7th year) is probably 2nd level (but he knows a lot of spells and is smart about fighting). He couldn't survive more than a few dagger stabs.

Voldemort may be a bit stronger, in addition to being unable to die (like a lich).

All spells work automatically and don't normally have any saving throws.

The most powerful spells are the illegal ones - crucio causes something like paralysis and victim must make a concentration check to perform any actions.

Some spells do nothing at all mechanical wise - they are merely their to annoy. For example, a spell that makes some one vomit slugs isn't going to stop them from paralyzing you with a spell of their own.

Avada Kadavra kills automatically, but this is via a ranged attack - not a touch attack since even regular armor and cover can negate it; sometimes a hit can even be negated with a reflex save.

A wizard can learn to chain spells to do multiple effects - for example they could make an Avada Kadavra that could blow away cover.

Their is more to defending yourself from a spell than counter spelling - some spells are inherently defense based. For example, readying an action to cast expeliarmus might be met by opposing dexterity checks if the enemy is aware that you are prepared to attack them. Expeliarmus can divert spells back at the attacker when they are disarmed of their wand, if the attacker is careless (say, they decide to cast a spell straight out against a defender rather then cast in a way that would be challenging to match by the defender - casting defensively probably works for the latter).

Spoiler
    Show

In the final encounter between HP and V in Book 7, V probably didn't choose to cast defensively. HP beat V with an expeliarmus, which diverted V's avada kadavra back at him, killing him.

---

Casting a spell that you haven't quite learned (but are 'close' to doing so) could be met by a use magic device check. As said above, all spells use the wizard's attuned wand as a reagent.
    ------

All of this said, HP isn't really covered by the level by level system. Level by level seems to suggest that the heros are becoming innately more bad ass - able to shrug off more and more wounds as they grow in power and learn new spells. D&D seems to suggest that a sorceror/wizard can handle more spells rather then simply know how to cast them. I imagine a low level wizard from D&D saying 'I could cast time stop; in fact, I can envision myself doing so, but the semantics are just to wracking on the mind'.

Instead of going this way HP seems to suggest that the heros just get smarter at solving mysteries and more mature. It's like playing Encyclopedia Brown rather then slaying dragons head on.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-08-20 at 05:47 PM.