New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,494 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: I can't believe it's not the same thread name! (Random Banter #144)

Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Buzza wha? Where did that comparison come from? Led Zeppelin is hard rock! Pink Floyd is prog! I- you- it-
    Doesn't mean you can't compare them. Most of my favourite films are mockumentaries by Christopher Guest, but that doesn't mean I can't say I liked them more than, I dunno, Pirates of the Carribean.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

Salad is good, pasta pots and stuff like that too. Or wraps...its no healthier but at least it's not bread...again. I've taken to pasies for lunch and reduced my dinner just to avoid more sammiches. I'm seriously bored with bread right now.

Comparing things that are not the slightest bit alike is fun. Having a conversion about why a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner is better than a Pteradactyl keeps the brain cells firing I find. Makes you think 'outside the container of you choice.'

Also, what's the etiquette on the new thread? Anyone mind if I make #145?
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2010-08-03 at 09:53 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Banned

Oh you can compare them alright. I just want to know where it came from. Seems random. Like comparing Prime Minister John Howard to a stick of celery.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Colossus in the Playground

Then expect people to flare up at you, as you've obviously experienced first-hand *shrug*

Floyd and Zep are both Classic Rock of the same era. I compare music with music, not genre with genre (not least because I never know which is what).

edit: I could do that, but I'd probably get another infraction.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-08-03 at 09:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Serp. You kinda do state your opinions as if they were fact. Her edit helped a big bunch.

I also trust that she's not aiming the criticism at you, it's a real trend nowadays to not like the cool thing just because it's popular, or to think that since you're the underdog, you're always right.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Wraps are good, as an option to bread. They don't fit nicely into a ziploc bag though...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post

Also, what's the etiquette on the new thread? Anyone mind if I make #145?
    quick before someone else does then!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

8. - Top - End - #1478

Thanks Phase. Also, hi.

I think I need something hot... Maybe I should do a soup to keep in the freezer there? I dunno, seems like too much effort. Though one person has pies...

9. - Top - End - #1479

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    I also trust that she's not aiming the criticism at you, it's a real trend nowadays to not like the cool thing just because it's popular
    I was not liking cool things before it was cool.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Banned

I agree with Serp. You kinda do state your opinions as if they were fact. Her edit helped a big bunch.
    I didn't like her edit and prefer my own. X2s opinion. Lets not fly off the handle

I also trust that she's not aiming the criticism at you, it's a real trend nowadays to not like the cool thing just because it's popular, or to think that since you're the underdog, you're always right.
    Then going against the popular opinion is popular? What a paradox!
    Last edited by X2; 2010-08-03 at 09:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh you can compare them alright. I just want to know where it came from. Seems random. Like comparing Prime Minister John Howard to a stick of celery.
    Yes, because both entities clearly are politicians and vegetables, just like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are both rock bands. I just wonder how the prime minister has lasted this long without being thrust into peanut butter and eaten...

12. - Top - End - #1482

I just wonder how the prime minister has lasted this long without being thrust into peanut butter and eaten...
    Wait, you know of the secret ex-Prime Minister ritual? Howard's the only one who escaped that!
    BANG → !

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously, maybe I should go make a snack now, and have lunch later...?
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Banned

The example comparison is irrelevant. The randomness is what I tried to draw attention to. Now that it has been explained this topic needs to die

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Two pieces of bread? Back in my day, we'd roll it all up in one and we'd enjoy it.
    ;p Bah. Americans can't be bothered to roll things up. That is entirely too much work. That's why we invented the tortilla!

((Fact: If you consider that the "Americas" consist of the entire North and South America, this is true, and not just the rantings of a mad man. ))
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

16. - Top - End - #1486

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    But mostly, I think, music is much more subjective than film. With film, it is possible to identify a good movie even if you don't personally like it. With music, quality is almost entirely dependent on who's listening.
    Disagree. You can listen to music and acknowledge that it's good without it being a style which appeals to you personally.

When someone says that Blink 182 is "good" punk I think they are wrong. And have no qualms about telling them. "Listen to The Ramones you goob!"
    Is your objection here to the idea that Blink 182 are good, or that they're good punk? Iust out of curiosity, I'm rubbish at dividing things into genres anyway.

Buzza wha? Where did that comparison come from? Led Zeppelin is hard rock! Pink Floyd is prog! I- you- it-
    Not everyone divideseverything up into separate genres before comparing. I suspect Serp iust picked a band she likes more the Pink Floyd.

Again I dont feel that its necessary. I assume people will know that its my opinion unless I give them reason to think otherwise.
    Some may consider the way you phrase things to be reason for them to think you think otherwise.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #1487

Yes, because both entities clearly are politicians and vegetables, just like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are both rock bands. I just wonder how the prime minister has lasted this long without being thrust into peanut butter and eaten...
    Maybe that's what the Liberal party did with him...
    So what has Labor done with Kevin?!

(for the record, Johnny is no longer our PM*)

*(thank goodness^)

^(in my opinion)
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2010-08-03 at 09:58 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    ;p Bah. Americans can't be bothered to roll things up. That is entirely too much work. That's why we invented the tortilla!

((Fact: If you consider that the "Americas" consist of the entire North and South America, this is true, and not just the rantings of a mad man. ))
    Don't you roll up a tortilla? I'm pretty sure that's how I do mine.

V: HAHA!!
    Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2010-08-03 at 10:00 AM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Troll in the Playground

@Em: ...Crud. *Runs* D:

Oh, and on the subject of opinion...popularity means absolutely nothing to actual fact, and this goes in both directions. Less or more popular ideas are not going to be more correct because of their popularity. Causation versus correlation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah how I love that new thread smell!

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Some may consider the way you phrase things to be reason for them to think you think otherwise.
    Well thats their problem then isnt it. I believe its certifiably odd to think that my review was trying to pass itself off as fact. totally X2s opinion ya'll love hate clouds

22. - Top - End - #1492

Failure in communication is the problem of the communicator.
    Again, stick with that if you must, but don't be so surprised and snarky when people call you on it.

23. - Top - End - #1493

Well thats their problem then isnt it. I believe its certifiably odd to think that my review was trying to pass itself off as fact. totally X2s opinion ya'll love hate clouds
    I'm with X2 on this, I felt it was clear that he was expressing his opinion.

Not that I agreed with his opinion about Wall-E

It's just safer to always assume it's an opinion that is getting proclaimed.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Bugbear in the Playground

Edit: Bah, humbug.
    Last edited by Fifty-Eyed Fred; 2010-08-03 at 10:25 AM.