New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Starting a Blue Dawn (G1)

Thankfully the entertainment of the play had been enough to keep Marcus calm as his failures at tieing a secure knot dragged on and on; as he tugged on the ends to check if they were secure only to see the rope pull loosely apart from end to end, again and again. "This time for sure," He grumbles to himself working the rope with his hands.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[8] Use Rope
    (1d20+13)[31] Listen

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

A tallish-elf maiden stands before you, wearing the bright white robes that one would expect of an unspecialized wizard. From the lack of stohl it is clear that she is not a particularly high ranking member. Her face and smile radiates with a friendliness you have not often had occasion to meet, and overall there is a passive gentleness, the sense of great power behind her that she chooses to not wield.

She smiles kindly and speaks to you as if you were an equal, something that is unusual from Wizards, especially ones as obviously wealthy as she. After all, her purse appears to be bulging and massive, with what you estimate to be fifteen pounds of stuff. My Master has requested that I retrieve a book you are said to be holding. I am resolutely certain that you intended no harm from the handling of this tome; however, I must ask that you relinquish it to my possession. The speedier you do so, the better it will be for both of us... as you will be able to return to your occupation more quickly and I to mine. From anyone else, this request might appear to have a threat attached to it, especially considering she is at least an established arcanist, but her friendliness and genuine smile assures you at least somewhat.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

That book is dangerous? and then it clicked. The Kashi- it was an enchantment! Worry shows on his draconic face. I believe that it carries an enchantment on it- after looking at the cover, I was compelled to say a word. I don't remember it now, but this book should be disposed of, I think. he says, looking ponderous. However, it is possible that it had some secrets inside of it that you want to use, if it is as dangerous and powerful as you say. I shall go with you to protect the book- should anyone try to steal it, then you would have additional defense, and if you were to use the book for your own gain, then I would protect it from you. he says, powerful body unfurling.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-07-26 at 12:10 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

There was no trace of flicker on her face through your speech nor as you drew up your body. You remark that either she is oblivious or unconcerned of anything you have said or done. I do not believe I mentioned that the book was dangerous, nor did I say that it held secrets. Whether or not you feel the book is to be destroyed; however, is none of my concern though it may be of my Master's, as I believe the book belongs to him. You may accompany me if you wish and if your station allows it, but I fear you will be disinterested in the simple task of walking to the University. Once again, the same genuine smile appeared, And I am unsurprised that the book is enchanted. Most books that are of sufficient interest to my master to have me personally fetch it are protected in such a manner. It is why he sends a wizard rather than an errand boy; it is presumed that through my knowledge of the enchanter's arts that I will perhaps be more ready to deal with such protections. In any case, may I have the book please? She waits for you to offer the book.

5. - Top - End - #35

One moment, please. He fetches the book from it's hiding place, returning a few minutes later with the tome bound in paper. It would be best if no one saw the cover, in case the enchantment is harmful. And I think that I could survive a couple disintegrations. Already have, incidentally. He changes his unstoppable power from will to fortitude. And I, too, can manipulate Kashi. My defenses were not enough to protect me from it. I will accompany you. You said that the book was harmful. Something dangerous is always sought after. I WILL accompany you. he says, his resoluteness astounding.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Accepting the tome, she looks puzzled. I don't believe I did ever mention it being harmful, nor did anyone mention anything of the like. I suppose the knowledge inside may be harmful, but perhaps you should be checked by someone with the skill to determine your state of mind? After she says this, she thanks you for the book, and turns to head back to the university after depositing the book carefully in her purse.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Knowledge checks for any reference to "Kashi":
    (1d20+15)[19] Planes
    (1d20+15)[32] Arcana
    (1d20+15)[26] Nature
    (1d20+15)[28] Religion
    (1d20+5)[11] History (max 15)
    (1d20+5)[12] Local (max 15)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bacon Barbarian has been Banned for unknown reasons.
    Determining whether or not you guys will be fine without him, or if I should force someone into your group to keep a six balance.
    Just finding my roots again.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wilbur sits on his bed and meditates, waiting for what he feels must be the longest five minutes of his life.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

9. - Top - End - #39

The dragon-man does not let go of the book. You said, 'I am sure that you meant no harm from the handling of this tome.' The tome had an enchantment on it. I'm not stupid. I can put 2 and 2 together. This book undoubtedly contains something important within. It also is different from all of the other books of the library. I will carry the book from the library. He seems adamant about his decision.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-07-26 at 10:59 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    TheAmishPirate is now part of your group. He is a Ranger, and has put a lot of focus into stealthing. Will post update in a little while.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Anthony wakes up to the usual odd silence. He had always been an early riser, but the silence woke him up every morning. Having spent most of his life in and around the forest, not hearing birds, the wind, scared him. It just wasn't natural.

At least it was over quickly.

Once the usual morning sounds had returned, he gets out of bed and sits cross-legged on the floor, just listening to the world outside and mentally preparing for the day ahead. While he sits, he takes a small pouch of leaves from a bedside table and chews slowly on a few. His stomach had been churning again last night, and it was still protesting a little this morning. He smiles as he remembers Elena sternly lecturing him about not eating things he found while hunting "just because they wouldn't kill you outright!" Ever since he got real sick a few years ago from some (just barely) rotten berries, she had grown these leaves especially for him to help his gut.

He continues for about two hours, then sneaks out of the bedroom so as to not wake Elena. He prepares a small breakfast, and checks their stock of herbs and medicines. He frowns and shakes his head. Busy day yesterday, we're running low on nearly everything. He finishes up his breakfast, and gets ready to head for the market.

Before he leaves, he pokes his head in Timothy's room. If all seems well, he will leave to restock on herbs.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2010-07-26 at 02:42 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

DMofDarkness + Superglucose
    Spoiler
    Show
    You two, after your exchange, leave the Library...

TheAmishPirate
    Spoiler
    Show
    You make your way through the marketplaces, listening to the fortune tellers screaming and raving as usual. At least today, the Town Guard is keeping them in check. You find the vendor area of the marketplace, the ones that actually sell quality wares. You see a small theater troupe performing what you know is 'The King in Yellow'. Among its audience, in the very back, is a man who looks new, and also appears as if he is struggling with hooking up some of his supplies while trying to pay attention to the play.

Lothmar
    Spoiler
    Show
    You finish rigging up your gear together, as the first act of the play ends. However, as you finish, you start to hear... or, finally realize, a constant drum of sounds. They aren't the same footsteps... nor are they the voices of the marketplace. No... it's... louder. It sounds like a storm, but made of horns blaring and beasts snarling and... machinery.

Doctor Acula
    Spoiler
    Show
    You follow Templar Urai'th into the Gardens, trailing behind him. He stands in front of a small pond, his shadow casting over it. He speaks to you without turning. "I need you to assist us, Baal. Today is the start of a harsh time for all, and our Diviners have said you were to help us." He turns to you know, and from what you can see his mouth is turned downward. "We need you to go into your temple, and take from the Church's High Symbol, the one that is used to light the praying chamber, the jewels from it. We are leaving soon, as any minute now... things will turn bad. Tell no one I have told you to do it. You must bring them to our Temple to the East. Find some allies to get out of the city. You might try the Library."

He walks past you, out of the Gardens, and out of the corner of your vision you can see him sprinting towards the other Templars.

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sky darkens rapidly, light evaporating and going away as darkness quickly overcomes everything you see, starting with the sky. In the darkness, you hear a loud call, a monster's voice, throaty and ancient: "Today is the day of the Blue Dawn, City of Baelnosh. For Cinvil'da commands it." The sky above you turns to light, and on the horizon you see, you see the Sun rising again, but... it's sunrise is wrong. It is not the same warmth. It is not gold or orange or yellow. It is a sickly pink, purple and blue and it is rising up as if it were dawn once again.

sciencepanda (Read after 'Everyone'.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a loud profanity from outside your door, most likely from the Guard. The door slams open, and the Guards steps in. He looks tense, and you can tell that he is barely keeping from screaming. "Wilbur! Come on! You're going on a Hunt." He tosses you a staff, and some new clothes. Inside the pockets, you pick out three crystals, and... an odd device. It's in a disc shape, and the numbers 1 - 12 are placed around the edge of it in equal distances, and there are two arrows, one small, and one large, with the smaller one pointing to seven, and the larger one pointing to twelve. "Blue Dawn's here. Let's go!" The guard leaves the room, and begins walking down the corridor to the left or your exit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inside the Library, you hear a shouting, and people pour out of it screaming. One man sees you, and runs to you both, screaming. "You! I've seen you! You can wield magic. Please, there's a monster in there! You have to get rid of it! Some of us made it out but most are still in there!"

13. - Top - End - #43

Regret and rage welled up inside Shamenakar, enhanced by the vile Kashi of the Blue Dawn, radiating in pale, false waves that try to rob his strength rather than enhance it. Did I do this? Were my words the thing that brought this creature here? It matters not- I shall kill it. Whether or not the Church finds me, I must save them. They did nothing wrong.Stuffing the book under his chain shirt, he grabs his greatsword, and sheaths his tail in his tailblade. Then, he charges towards the library, bellowing a battle cry at the top of his lungs, working up his powers inside of him. He feels the powers of Kashi around him, trying to push into him- but not yet. He must not enter the state in which he merges with Kashi itself. Not until he can see the beast. While running, he allows the Kashi to enter his mind- sharpening his defenses, and boosting his power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a move action, while running, using the invocation Beast heart (constitution) on the way.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-07-26 at 03:40 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

Wilbur is quite shocked by this turn of events, but intentionally keeps his composure. So, I'm just a weapon to them, am I? Well, I'll see to it that they're at least on edge around me.

Turning towards the guard and smirking, he says, "Oh, so I suppose they weren't a myth then. Do you win a bet against Preesha, or what?"

He looks the items over, trying to determine what they do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Psionics): (1d20+9)[14]
    Campaign:

Characters:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Baal walks over to the Archbishiop and says Milord, who are the Templars and why do they dress in such a fearsome manner? Given their strange appearance and the sudden voice in the sky I can't help but think them to be related his eyes never leaving the sky
    I'm just a frat guy who loves DnD and musical theater

16. - Top - End - #46

"The drums, the drums, the beating of the drums..." He may not have even noticed it but the sound resonated in his mind as his eyes casually shifted down to his finger as it continued to tap in resonates of four. "I know this sound of chaos - but... No. It cannot ~" He looks up at the sky moments before it goes dark. "Be... Not again."

"Agh!" He grips his face with one hand and attempts to sling his pack on quickly with the other arm. 'Is this what called me?' He thinks - his other eye trembling in mildly concealed terror as the horrid burn scar across his face ached in the very presence of the skies inversion perverison. He takes away his hand to secure the other strap as his eyes dart about quickly as he examines his surrondings as if to make sure he wasnt simply insane and this really was happening and if it was somehow having more of an affect on the world around him then he had yet to notice.

His rough swinging arms to get his pack ready and paranoid head jerking tugs free the ties of his overcloak revealing his tunic with the light blue field and simple white lines that some might find similiar to a crude drawing of a sun on the horizon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil activated.
    (1d20+13)[21]Listen
    (1d20+14)[20]Spot
    Last edited by Lothmar; 2010-07-26 at 05:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Anthony had placed his order moments before the sky changed. As the wrong sun rises higher in the sky, he freezes in horror. Impossible...what...what's going on!? He regains his senses, and immediately thinks back to his family. Leaving the vendor without his order, he sprints back to his house as fast as he can. I've got to make sure Elena and Timothy are safe, that they can stay safe. Oh, why did I stop walking with my arms? If his house is a sufficient distance away, he casts Longstrider to get there even faster.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Soraya grimly moves to follow the dragon, running through her mind the various options she has available. Making a mental note to remind the dragon that this is why she would need to take possession of the book, she instantly moves to the aid of the folks still in the building. How many are there, where are they, and what's the fastest way to get them out?
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2010-07-26 at 08:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for lateness.

Spoiler
    Show
    As you enter the Library, you notice that many of the lighting crystals hanging from the ceiling have been turned on, which you know to be there only in during night time hours or emergencies. In the back of the Library, you hear some screams for help. Upon inspection, you see a large number of scholars hiding behind two guards who are fending off a creature... that you, in the back of your mind, think you recognize.

It stands on four legs, and its form resembles a large fox. It's head is stouter, however, and it's form is translucent and blue. Inside it, small swirls of white move. As you round the corner of the library shelf to view it, it turns around and sees you, and howls.

Spoiler
    Show
    [Roll Initiatives and Will Saves vs. Fear]

TheAmishPirate
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you pass through the crowds, they get harder and harder to get past as the panic begins to worsen. Through the screams, you can hear a monstrous growl from inside an Inn. Out from it comes a man who screams "Please! Can anyone help me!?"

Lothmar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up ahead in to your right, you see a small but bright glow. It's past the crowds, but you can tell it's nothing natural.

Doctor Acula
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Archbishops looks at you and the sky, switching back and forth. "Baal, those were Higih Templars of our lord, St. Cuthbert. Look, I need to help the others in Prayer with the townsfolk who have come for sanctuary. If he gave you any guidance, go!" He shouts, moving from you to a group of Diviners, Archers and fellow Paladins, who move to the entry corridor to the temple grounds.

sciencepanda
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guard takes you down the corridor for a couple of minutes, making way past waves of guards who are armed to the teeth. "No. Preesha is just like another Townsperon; still believing that the Blue Dawn doesn't exist. Well, aside from a few minutes ago." You step out an archway, and find yourself on the third wall layer, and look out before you. From across the Farmers fields, you see a dark swarm approaching the city. You can see beasts and war machines, but not much else at this distance. "Look, we need you to find a number of people and find the King in the High Palace, okay? He needs more than just Armed Guards with him right now."

Spoiler
    Show
    [One Crystal holds the names of your fellow party mates. Just go to the first page to get the Character Names. The Second one has a map of the city. The third one shows where they are, along with names attached to them, when in contact with the map crystal.]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

Requisite Knowledge: (1d20+15)[34] WHAT IS IT?! (I have Planes, Arcana, Religion, Dungeoneering, and Nature, so that should cover all the basic creature types).

Initiative: (1d20+4)[15]
    Will Save: (1d20+9)[15]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Superglucose
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize it as a Blue Dawn Spawn.
    Originally it was a normal animal, possibly a Fox, but it has been warped by Blue Dawn cultists into the form that it is now. There is no way to reverse it. It counts as a Magical Beast now.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

Any special abilities of note?

23. - Top - End - #53

Begrudgingly following the guard, Wilber states matter of factly, "You do of course realize, that I will be receiving a reward for this."

"Of course, as to whether that reward involves an irritating city guard being held over a tall tower depends entirely on how I am treated. Now explain. Who are these people, and what relevance do they have?"
    Last edited by sciencepanda; 2010-07-27 at 01:00 AM.
    Campaign:

Characters:

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:
    (1d20+2)[6]
    Will save:
    (1d20+4)[22]+1 if it is a spell or spell-like ability.

If the creature remains over 60ft away from me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Seeing the bizarreness of this creature, he feels not feel but revulsion. This creature's Kashi was twisted out of shape, an abomination that must be destroyed. Mustering his powers, he bellows a deep, powerful roar, and he charges at the creature and fires his breath weapon, infusing his already powerful breath with more Kashi. A pillar of golden flames erupts from his maw.
    (Damage in OOC)

If the creature is within charging distance, but not adjacent to me:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing that the creature was kind enough to let him charge, he bellows out his challenge and charges at the creature, greatsword raised high, and infuses the Kashi around it to pick up the most important thing in the world: Blood. Blood to fuel his defenses, and blood to kill the creature. Blood, the elixir of life, would be transferred to him. Feeling the blood congeal into a living barrier around his flesh, he grins.
    (attack rolls and damage in the OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing that the creature was kind enough to close with him, he grins. This was his lucky day. Bellowing at the creature, he channels the raw energy of nature into him, and flies into a raging fury, becoming a blinding fury of sword and tail. This was his element; he could not lose. (attack and damage rolls OOC)
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2010-07-27 at 06:32 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Baal nervously moves into the temple, going into the sleeping quarters for priests in training he grabs a folded blanket from the wall and walks over to the gems in the center of the temple, he kneels directly infront of them as if to pray, then looks to see if anyone is looking. When he is going unnoticed he places the gems in the blanket carefully, he then wraps the blanket up neatly and shoves leaves with the blanket. He begins to make his way to the library, walking nervously and shaking with fear. Along the way he stops in an ally to shove the blanket down the front of his suit of armor. He continues on his way to the library. sword and shield drawn. On edge and ready to defend the gems with his life.
    I'm just a frat guy who loves DnD and musical theater

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Anthony bites his lip in frustration. The crowds would soon be too thick to make any sort of progress through, and leaving this innkeeper high and dry left a sour taste in his mouth. He grabs the innkeeper and shouts over the din, "Listen to me! I can't help you without my weapons and gear, and that's through this lot!" He motions to the crowd. "Just hold tight, and I'll be back as fast as I can!"

If the nearby buildings are of roughly equal heights (and the roofs are stable enough):
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks back at the crowd. There was no way he could get through them in any sort of speed. He looks around for any other way out, and his eyes fall on the rooftops. He tries to climb up the walls of the building next to the inn, in the best spot he can discern (taking into account that there is probably a beast inside the inn). Once on the rooftops, he will run and jump across them, making his way back to his house.

Climb Check
    (1d20+7)[20]

Otherwise:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks back to the panicking crowds. Soon the streets would be clogged completely; getting trampled certainly wouldn't help anyone here. He mentally runs through the streets in his neighborhood, looking for any backstreets or shortcuts that may have been overlooked. He heads back home while he thinks, sticking to the edges of the road. If he remembers a shortcut or backstreet, he takes it.

Untrained Knowledge (Local) Check
    (1d20+1)[12]

In both cases:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As he runs, he thinks back to the roar he heard. He could swear that he'd heard a beast like that somewhere and sometime before. He wracks his brain of all the animals he knows that could have a roar like that. Whatever the case, he realizes that things inside the city are likely to get a lot worse, and without his bow, he would be powerless to help anyone. Summoning strength from some inner reserve, he wills his legs to move yet even faster.

Knowledge (nature) Check
    (1d20+9)[10]

If not cast already, cast Longstrider.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2010-07-29 at 08:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

"Where would be a safe place for the people to gather?" Markus say's looking around. He decides to climb the nearby buildings in hopes of getting a better vantage point. Once on the roof he draws his bow and begins to move to get a clearer visual on the light in the distance. Shame really, it was a good bow and he used to be a hell of a shot with it - but ever since he saw that prophetic dawn months ago his hands had ceased to rattle and shake whenever he tried to use it.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[24]Climb
    (1d20-2)[7]Initiative

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately I will be returning very late tonight. No time estimate as to when I will be back. I will post as soon as I return, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are both stunned for one round.

Superglucose
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that they have minor control over lightning and sonic elements.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Your vision blurs and your ears throb as the creature before you screams. As it ends its howling, its eyes glow brighter and energy begins to build up in its mouth. It shoots out a large blue bolt, which flies through the air, hitting Shamenakar in the chest. He staggers, but regains his balance as both his and Soraya's senses return.

Spoiler
    Show
    Soraya, it is your turn.
    Shamenakar, take eight points of damage. [Electricity]

Lothmar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know why you're rolling for initiative. You aren't anywhere near combat. I also don't know why your character just acted mildly schizophrenic.

Spoiler
    Show
    And also, I wish I was kidding, you missed the Climb DC by one point. (Superior Masonry). You fall back to the ground, but you manage to land on your feet.

TheAmishPirate
    Spoiler
    Show
    [You succeed on the climb.]
    [You are not able to determine what that sound was.]

You climb onto the roof of a nearby building, and soon find it easy to stay on. The next dozen or so homes and buildings have roofs that are near the same height and design, with a three foot gap inbetween each one. You start running, and slowly the crowds thin out beneath you.

Doctor Acula
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Make a Spot and a Listen check.]

sciencepanda
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You're f**king kidding me. These are the Blue Dawn. They almost leveled Baelnosh a few generations ago. They work for some other worldly being or whatever, I don't know, and I don't particularly care. Right now, I have to help defend this city, and your duty is to get those god d**n people on that list with you to the King!" He shouts, almost screaming. "Look at the Crystals, find them, enlist them, then haul your bloody Dwarf carcass to the King!" With these, he stomps off, to join up with a small troop of other guards, who are setting up the outer-wall Balistas.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Soraya stood there, regaining her senses for a moment. Her first thought is to speed up the group and organize a defense. Guards, Dragon-man, they are skilled in the use of lightning and sonic! It may be best to strike out with acid, if you have it, but swords should work fine! Soraya will then move in and cast Haste, hoping to accelerate the guards, the dragon, and herself, as well as two of the cowering individuals.