New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-08-02 at 01:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Starship troopers, D&D style

Day 0, 5:45 am

Alarms awaken you from your sleeping, and moments later your commanding officer's voice blares across the radio. "Morning apes. It's a fine day today, and it will continue to be a fine day, as long as you keep killing them Buggers as usual. Now, I don't need to remind you that the Power Crystal is *crucial* to our operations here. It goes down, and we abandon you, got that?

"We of the Terran Mobile Infantry treat our own well. If you should fall in battle in the line of duty.. and if your comrades successfully defend the crystal, we will restore a clone of you, full with your memories up until the last event... for a reasonable price that you will pay off with your future earnings.

Now then, our scouts report that the Buggers are on a circadian rhythm of 6 hours, so be prepared for them to attack 4 times a day regularly. They will be here some time in the next hour, so position yourselves and do whatever you need to get ready.

Finally, there are some other indigenous organisms on this planet, we have reason to suspect that they have come under Bugger control, so it is quite likely you will have to fight against these foes as well. In a word, shoot anyone other than a Terran.

Good luck men.
    "

Place yourselves on the map, and declare any preparations you take.
    Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-07-31 at 01:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Move to D-2

In my first hour: Take a the Donkeys to the left door. Hobble them together so running will make them trip (Left front leg under one to back right leg of the other). Salute them for their noble sacrifice, then Drop Lv2 Black sand on us. If they run, I'll whack them for subdual damage and drag them back into the sand.

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex to get out of the way, but animals hobbled by manacles.
    Sand has a healing effect on me from tomb tainted soul feat.
    First minute of sand.

DC 15

Damage per round:

(1d4)[4]
    (1d4)[1]
    (1d4)[4]
    (1d4)[3]
    (1d4)[1]
    (1d4)[4]
    (1d4)[1]
    (1d4)[3]
    (1d4)[3]
    (1d4)[4]

Dead within the area become permanent black sand, so I'll put some in my boots, and spread the rest around in front of the door.

The chickens follow after the donkeys, one by one. Tossed in.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-07-31 at 01:26 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'll purchase a scroll of lesser planar binding and set up a magic circle (facing inward). I will then use a scroll of lesser planar binding (I'm not sure if I need a UMD for this or not) to call a medium earth elemental. The task for it is to dig a 200 foot deep hole in front of the gate, 20 feet wide and 20 feet long.

UMD (if applicable)
    (1d20+26)[31] (10 ranks, 2 magical aptitude, 2 cosmopolitan, 2 spellcraft synergy, 2 decipher script synergy, 1 ability mod, 7 pact insidious)
    DC of 29...barely made it.

Readied action: Stand on the wall.
    Last edited by NM020110; 2010-07-31 at 05:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

Medium Earth Elemental will save (+1): (1d20+1)[16] (DC 17)

Medium Earth Elemental Charisma check (+0): (1d20)[5] (DC 20)

The medium Earth Elemental does as you says and prepares the hole.
    Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-07-31 at 01:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Spells memorised:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 0:
    Launch Bolt, Acid Splash, Acid Splash, Ray of Frost

Level 1:
    Mage Armor
    Sniper's Shot
    Expeditious Retreat
    Grease

Level 2:
    Invisibility
    Summon Swarm
    Glitterdust

Level 3:
    Summon Monster 3
    Fireball
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I drink my potion of mage armour

Go up to the wall at about the middle in K.

Use my oil of flame arrows on 50 bolts, before loading them into my nine crossbow with 5 flaming bolts left over. I'll put 6 of the loaded crossbows in my handy haversack (if we're playing by encumberance rules), then the rest on my person with the rest. I'll hold one

Ready an action to shoot the first one that comes in range (180ft)

8. - Top - End - #8

I'll pull out a magnifying glass and focus the rays of the sun on some nearby ants. Ah, it's good to be pyromaniac.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Everyone please clearly define your position, as well as that of any minions. By about noon tomorrow, if you have not specified position or any readied actions, I will randomly put you somewhere reasonable and start the wave.

NOTE: Any actions you declare (e.g. Illusory Walls) must be declared here, and not the OOC thread, in order to be valid.

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Very well, I cast illusory wall four times to cover the pit completely such that there is no disturbance in the ground (using the exact pattern as was present before digging). I am position in 0-M, with a readied action to do nothing. Anything else?

11. - Top - End - #11

Me and my entourage of hooded cultists chanting in low latin are clustered on the middle of the wall. 0-K if I'm reading the map right.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

OK, NM, you have used all 4 4th level spells for the day. Please mark your character sheet with Spells Prepared and Spells used.

In keeping with Standard Pit traps, it will be a Reflex DC 20 save to avoid falling into the holes.
    Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-07-31 at 11:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

If I have enough, I cover areas D1, D2, E1, E2 with the sand (only need a thin coating) Then I wait behind Left door at D-2.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Current Map:

Bayar and Doombringer, if you don't like where I positioned you, please tell me soon-ish where you want to be instead.

Vizzerdrix: you realize you can't actually see the monsters from your position, right?

15. - Top - End - #15

How high is the wall?

16. - Top - End - #16

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wall is 30 feet high and indestructible.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Yes sir. But we have spotters up on the wall, and I can re enforce the doors. The longer something is in the sand, the better.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Time that the attack commences: 6am + (3d20)[28] = 6:28 am.

Round 0:

As you wait, wondering if the Buggers will really attack, suddenly, you all hear a low-pitched humming noise as you see a large mass of kobolds suddenly materialize in the portals.

The kobolds look driven, and while unarmored, each carries a crossbow with a grappling hook bolt (with rope attached) already loaded. They also have a spear strapped to their back, along with a quiver.

Map:

No readied actions are triggered.

Round 1:

Players, please state your actions.
    Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-08-01 at 01:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright, I'll hold up a small globe on a chain as a full round action, preparing Dessicating Bubble. (Activate spell pool I)
    "I would suggest that we leave them be for the time being. We stand to gain much by observing the enemies behavior."

Actually, I'll stick to the basics for now. I'll cast silent image to create illusory darkness over the wall, extending over the entire surface and five feet forwards from F to N (That should grant concealment to everyone in the section).

I whisper to the minion next to me "This is an illusion. Pass that down the wall."

OOC: Now before anyone tries to kill me for that, it should prevent the enemy from being able to see us, which may give bonuses to attack (invisible attacker) and stop them from, well...doing anything to us. If I am misunderstanding on this, please correct me before I do it again...Also, if anyone fails their save, I'll move it back to only the wall. Someone might see a crossbow stick out, but your five foot vision will still see out of the darkness. If nothing else, it'll give a miss chance to the wall...
    Last edited by NM020110; 2010-08-01 at 03:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

*Blink, blink* Uh, OK.

TIPOT and Tinydwarfman: Make Will saves for yourself and your minions to disbelieve the illusion. You get a +4 circumstance bonus from NM's advice. DC of the save is 17. If you fail, you cannot see more than 5' away, although you can reattempt the Will save next round.

Bayar, Vizzerdrix, and Doombringer: There now appears to be a black cloud covering the middle of the wall section, and extends 5' past the wall. You briefly wonder what other tricks the Buggers have up their sleeves.
    Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-08-01 at 02:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

OOC shouldn't we roll initiative?

will save to disbelieve (1d20+4)[23]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I'll then rapid shot at the kobolds, going for the ones on the right (I think they are two range incrediments away so i take -2 penalty to my attacks)

attack 1 (1d20+8)[12] damage (1d10+4)[12] + plunging shot (1d6)[5] + flame arrows (1d6)[2]

attack 2 (1d20+8)[19] damage (1d10+4)[7] + plunging shot (1d6)[2] + flame arrows (1d6)[4]

attack 3 (1d20+3)[13] damage (1d10+4)[14] + plunging shot (1d6)[2] + flame arrows (1d6)[5]

note;I factored a minus 2 penalty on all my attack rolls, if this is wrong (it might be) please tell me
    Last edited by TIPOT; 2010-08-01 at 05:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

"Leave them be just so we could study their tactics and hopefully better prepare ourselves for the next invasions ? That is one magor negatory !". Grasping his wand tightly in his left hand, Derek raises his right hand targetting the left kobold group.

"Go vanish into volcanic ash, heretics !" screams Derek as he throws his fireball at them.

Targetting the B-C 18-19 square intersection so I can catch 4 squares of kobolds.

(5d6)[3][1][6][3][5](18) Fire damage, Reflex DC 18 for half.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2010-08-01 at 05:44 PM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

(Initiatives won't be used here unless I tell you it's necessary.)

TIPOT:

You notice that your crossbow bolts seem to blink if they were fading out of existence as they enter the portal area.

Miss chance, (1d100)[26](26), hit if > 50.

The first kobold deftly ducks your crossbow bolt.
    The second kobold would have been hit, except your bolt magically phases out of existence just before hitting.
    The third bolt grazed the kobold, but caused no lasting damage.

Bayar:

You notice that your fireball seems to be partially translucent, rather than the full explosion of orange flames that you usually expect, on the regions covered by the pink portal squares.

Miss chance: (8d100)[1][14][28][99][98][84][62][39](425)

Ref saves (+2): (8d20)[13][10][4][4][14][10][20][14](89) (equiv DC 16)

The fireball seems to extinguish at the edges, but the 4 kobolds in the middle quickly die a fiery death.

Bayar Kill count: 4
    Last edited by ghostaxe; 2010-08-01 at 08:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Alright, lets do this! Wills Saves: Me: (1d20+8)[11] Cohort: (1d20)[1] Followers:
    (1d20+2)[16]
    (1d20+2)[10]
    (1d20+2)[6]
    (1d20+2)[3]
    (1d20+2)[11]
    (1d20+2)[13]

Wow that was terrible.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-08-01 at 09:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Re-rolls with +4 due to knowledge of illusion:
    Me: (1d20+12)[20]
    Cohort: (1d20+4)[21]
    Followers:
    (1d20+6)[25]
    (1d20+6)[24]
    (1d20+6)[23]
    (1d20+6)[13]
    (1d20+6)[13]
    (1d20+6)[15]

3 followers fail. "What the hell are you doing?" I scream at the illusionist, before casting Enlarge Person on my Cohort. I direct 3 of my cultists to fire at 3 different kobolds on the left.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-08-01 at 09:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Firing:
    (1d20+2)[13] (I assume, I haven't actually stated them out, but that's probably it)
    (1d20+2)[4]
    (1d20+2)[12]

28. - Top - End - #28

Ah, crap, I am really forgetful today. (1d6)[4] (1d6)[5]
    I assume the 4 missed.

Sorry for the Quad-post everyone. Can't roll during edits.
    Also, My sheet is re-done, and my cohort is done.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-08-01 at 09:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Ending any threat they could pose to us. When you get the chance, consider what would happen if they pulled one of us off with those bolts. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to observe how they react."
    Last edited by NM020110; 2010-08-01 at 09:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

:Ukiah would simply grab the thunderstones from my bag and start hurling them when the enemy gets close enough...along with alchemist fire..nothing like deaf people covered in fire as well.:

(Sorry for the delay)
    (They do not need AC as I am just hurling them on the armor or the ground..the splash effects and burst effects should effect alot of them. Think human catupult is what I am..and luckily these aren't magic so dispelling doesn't work)
    Last edited by Doombringer; 2010-08-02 at 01:54 AM.