New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5] Hollow's Last Hope - (IC)

Hollow's Last Hope

The small village of Falcon's Hollow rests at the edge of the wilderness, one of the last outposts of man this far from civilization. Tucked away in the seeming safety of the shadow of the nearby Droskar's Crag mountains, the people of Falcon's Hollow have always been hearty and stern. They are used to a life of hardship, broken only by the occasional visit of merchant caravans or traveling festivals.

The simple folk of this town face constant adversity from both the wilderness beyond their borders and from the machinations of their own fellow man. Wild beasts are ever nipping at their heels while cutpurses empty their pockets. Mere existence in spite of these odds is a testament to their strength and will to survive.

Perched as it is on the edge of civilization, the town of Falcon's Hollow has always had to rely on itself to solve problems. All the while, the uncaring lumber baron's who run the town squeeze every last copper from the common people, deaf to their pleas. Now the terrible hacking coughs of the sick can be heard throughout the town. A Plague has fallen upon Falcon's Hollow and the Town's leaders won't be bothered to try to stop it.

---

The Players:

---

DM Post

The air is cold and thick with moisture and the sky an overcast gray as the merchant caravan you have traveled with these past few weeks crests one final hill. Through the misty haze of the brisk morning you lay your eyes on the small, saw-dust choked town of Falcon's Hollow. The rough community of sturdy wooden buildings lies next to the lazily winding river Foam, where you can see the faint silhouettes of men dragging logs from the waters. The logs appear to have drifted down from the nearby forest of Darkmoon Vale, a dark and foreboding expanse of trees and vegetation that spreads to cover the feet of the distant Droskar's Crag mountains.

The very edge of civilization, if you can even call it that, you know that this is a place where lives can be changed, legacies begun, and adventures discovered. Some need can always be found to be fulfilled, and the wilderness beyond is rumored to hide secrets only imagined in legend and fable.

As the caravan makes its way into town, you and your companions notice that the few townsfolk you do see about on the streets keep their heads bent low, many of them constantly stopping to hack and cough in terrible fits. In fact, the echoing sound of coughing can be heard throughout the town. The merchants look at each other uneasily, wondering if this is perhaps not the best time to ply their trade goods for the precious Darkwood harvested by the local Lumber Consortium.

At the town's square you part ways with the merchants, exchanging well wishes and shared thanks for a safe journey. You have made it safely to Falcon's Hollow, but it seems Falcon's Hollow itself may not be so safe a place. If you didn't known any better, you would think a plague has befallen this secluded frontier town.

The six of you stand together, unsure of what to make of this unexpected event.

OOC: Each of you may have your own reasons for wishing to travel to the outskirts of civilization, but you have all come to know each other on the journey here. If you wish, you may elaborate on why your character has chosen to come to this place, but you do not need too. Feel free to explore and get to know each other.

---

Link to the OOC Thread
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 2010-08-05 at 09:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Hollow's Last Hope - (IC)

"Well my fellow travelers, I think we should first find a place to stay the night. "
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A short man in chainmail and with a mace and shield in the back stands with a puzzled face, wondering what had happenned to the village. He intended to go to his hometown and acepted to travel with a group of merchants as they wre headed in the same direction. But now they parted ways and Cyrus was left together with another five travellers.
    "Yes, althought it is still early, it's good to be prepared just in case, besides we could ask if there's a plague or something, all this coughing is making me worried. Do someone have any sugestion of somewhere?

OOC:Wanna, I had the impression that RE was going to play with a rouge, as jjeinn has made a barbarian.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

((Yeah, I changed to a rogue, didn't I? Tommy Lambretta? eh, I'll stick with Lann I guess.))

Lann waves goodbye to the merchants, then turns a bit to get a better view of the town, frowning with obvious worry.
    "This does not bode well..."

((my character would be in the group out of respect for anyone with powers, loyalty to any friends, and the obvious fact that more good people = more good deeds.))
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-08-01 at 11:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It doesn't, does it? Still, first things first: we need a place to stay. You there!" and here Saverana gestures to a townsperson on the street. "What's the nearest inn in this provincial polity?"
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

"Lady Ta'aert," Lann whsipers, "I'd be careful...Anything that can do this to a town must be...vile..."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Perhaps we can learn something from the innkeeper. Whatever the circumstance, I can't do anything about it without a glass of something wet." Catelyn, Saverana's cat familiar, sticks her head out of the pack on Saverana's back and nods fervently, her cream-colored fur turning orange as a slight breeze blows stray sawdust into it.

(Saverana is with the group primarily as a means to wealth and power, which she intends to use to restore her family to greatness. It's a bit scary, the level of dedication she applies to this goal.)
    "Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." - Jon Stewart

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM Post

A hunched over, weary looking man hauling a rather heavy looking sack looks up at the elven woman upon hearing her call. He scrutinizes the lot of you for a moment through cynical eyes, then without a word he gestures down the street to a weather-worn, two-story building with a signpost in front of it. As you peer at the image on the signpost, you can just barely discern the shape of a stereotypical dwarf with wavy lines that look like they might represent smoke. When you look back at the man, you can see he has already turned his back on you and has resumed his slow pace along the road.

OOC: Well, there's the inn. Before the party begins to move though, lets wait and give Corvin and Jjeinn a chance to post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ferryl watches the man walking away, then shakes his head as if just waking up. Rubbing his eyes, he turns back to the inn and the group. He glances at his wolf, who is eying Saverana's pack with great interest. Nodding to his companions, Ferryl reaches down to pat Drex's head as he finally speaks.

It seems our destination is clear. Let us settle and dine, then perhaps we may determine the plight of these people.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Lann nods.
    "I hope to find out what's plaguing this poor town. With a bit of good fortune, we may be able to do something about it."

((OOC: As always, Lann is looking around for good deeds to do.))

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Indeed. But, as I said previously, first things first. I'm going to the inn; after that, we can investigate." Saverana strolls off to the inn, her familiar jumping out of her pack and padding along beside her.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's no reason to not do both, probably someone at the inn should know what's going on in his own town. Come on Lann, let's find out the problem." Cyrus will follow Saverana into the tavern, and pretends to talk with the innkeeper.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2010-08-01 at 10:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Having great respect for nobility, healers, and women due to his knightly code, Lann follows Saverana and Cyrus.
    "I can pay for everyone's rooms," he offers, jangling his small pouch of coins, "I've got a bit of gold left. If there's not enough room, I'll find a nice, comfy tree somewhere outside so everyone can have some privacy."
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-08-01 at 10:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"I apreciate your offer, but I'm afraid I must decline it. As regarding privacy, I'm not sure if an inn in such a small town even have separate bedrooms, besides excluding miss Ta'aert of course, I'm sure that there isn't any issue with sharing a room."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"I shall meet you all at the inn later, first I need to attend to things. As for privacy, I have no issues with sharing a room." Needing time to be alone and time to think, I depart the group for a short time.
    Last edited by mrcarter11; 2010-08-01 at 11:11 PM.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    "I apreciate your offer, but I'm afraid I must decline it. As regarding privacy, I'm not sure if an inn in such a small town even have separate bedrooms, besides excluding miss Ta'aert of course, I'm sure that there isn't any issue with sharing a room."
    "While you raise a good point, I'll not hear of it! I'll find other inns in town if need be!" Lann says cheerily, "It's part of the knight's code to spend more money on his friends than himself!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus observes as Carter leaves, nodding to him.

He then turns to Lann, the boy was really exited in this code."Hmm, so you won't take a no as an answer? How about we compromise then? Instead of spending the money for my room, why don't you use it to help the needy? I'm sure you won't find them hard to find in here and that it will be put to better use." After the last sentence he will chuckle. Lann's chivalry was something that wasn't found everyday, this trip might not be so boring as he thought.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Cyrus observes as Carter leaves, nodding to him.

He then turns to Lann, the boy was really exited in this code."Hmm, so you won't take a no as an answer? How about we compromise then? Instead of spending the money for my room, why don't you use it to help the needy? I'm sure you won't find them hard to find in here and that it will be put to better use." After the last sentence he will chuckle. Lann's chivalry was something that wasn't found everyday, this trip might not be so boring as he thought.
    "A brilliant idea, my good man! However,doing good is more than simply giving out money...Time to stimulate this town's economy!"
    And Lann is already looking for some food to purchase and distribute among those who can't afford it themselves.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM Post

With a nod, the Swordsage departs from the group to attend to his own matters.

Cyrus, Rugart, Lann, Lady Saverana, and Ferryl

The rest of you walk the short distance along the road that leads to the building indicated by the townsman. As you approach the wide, two-story building the smoky scent of cooking meat and the sweet bitter odor of hops begins to overpower the pervasive smell of cut wood.

Drawing near the inn, the signpost comes into greater focus. You can see the image upon the sign is indeed a crudely portrayed Dwarf with wavy lines rising from the figure. Either the dwarf is on fire, or perhaps it just smells really bad. Immediately below the signpost is a well-used wooden door with a plaque reading "INN & TAP". As you open the door and walk inside you hear the protesting *KLINK**KLUNK* of a dented brass bell on the door frame.

The inside of the Inn is just about what you would expect of any Tavern, a large open fireplace and chimney dominates one wall, while a glossy-black wooden bar table runs the length of the opposite wall. Small tables with clusters of chairs fill the open space in between, and tall bar stools, half of which are currently occupied, sit in front of the long bar. Behind the bar lies racks of bottles, jars of various pickled foods, and many large wooden casks and stoppered kegs. At the very end of the bar sits a doorway that looks like it may lead back into the kitchen. On the wall opposite the entrance you just stepped through is a staircase leading up to the second floor.

As you step inside the building a few details immediately grab your attention. Firstly, though the inn and tavern has an unusually large number of patrons for so early in the day, the sounds of conversation, which had been very low and hushed, die away immediately as the occupants of the room notice your group. Second, your nostrils, which just a moment earlier had been enjoying the pleasant smells drifting out from the inn, immediately protest as the new odors of spicy tobacco and burning wood overpower your sense of smell. And third, though you can't be sure, it looks as though the only surface in the entire room that isn't covered by a fine layer of light brown dust is the well-maintained glossy bar top.

A slight haze of smoke seems to fill room, the source of which looks up to greet you as you step into the inn. A stout looking dwarf with curly brown hair and beard regards the five of you as he stands behind the glossy bar. He sets down the mug he had been cleaning after giving the drinking vessel a vigorous rub against his surprisingly clean apron, then reaches up with a hand to withdraw a truly massive looking cigar from his mouth. When he speaks, a cloud of gray smoke billows outward to mingle with the haze in the room.

"Oy" he says to you, "Welcome ta Smokin' Dwarf Inn, that would be m'self. Sit were y'like."

---

Carter

As you walk along the streets you see more and more of the same dreary common people, all going about their business without so much as a greeting to one another. Everywhere you hear the sounds of heavy hacking coughs, and everytime someone along the street has a coughing fit everyone nearby changes their path to avoid the sick person by a wide margin.

You can almost feel their sense of defeat and fear, particularly in the eyes of those whose gaze you manage to catch as they glance at the obvious adventurer in their midst. In one of them, a young boy who looks like he might be nearing his teens, you gatch a glimmer of hope in his eye before he jerks his gaze away and quickens his pace along the dusty street.
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 2010-08-02 at 04:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus will look around to find an empty seat at the bar to sit. "I'll have a mug of ale, please. He waits to be served, drinks a little and then ask:"Me and my friends couldn't help but notice that the town seems a little... ill, can you tell us why Mr....? With this they would hopefully know what's happening and the dwarf's name.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM Post

The Dwarven Barkeep picks up the mug he had just been cleaning and turns to fill it with a deep amber liquid from one of the kegs on the wall. He sets the foamy mug down in front of Cyrus and says with a smile ”Mah own special brew. At’ll be four coppers.”. He then leans in as Cyrus ask his question.

"Name’s Garum GrimGauntlet, ta smokin’ dwarf." he says proudly as he pulls another drag on his impressive stogie, "Owner an proprietor of ‘dis here establishment, ta finest, and ta only inn and tap in all Falcon’s Halla. Truth, ta town seen better times. Everyun’ been gettin’ sick these days, specially ta old an ta l’il ones." With this last statement his smile fades.

"They say t’was sometin’ in ta waters," the dwarf continues, his face a somber mask, "ya drink it and it gets in yer chest. Our most benevolent lords ‘at be assure us folk ta problem been solved and ta water’s safe, and ya can always be trusting ta lords, right?" his voice drips with obvious sarcasm.

With the words ‘benevolent lords’ the dwarf’s lips curl back in a sneer and you can hear a general grumble of contempt from the other patrons at the bar.

OOC: Link to the conversation without the accent, for those who might have trouble interpreting.
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 2010-08-02 at 03:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyrus reaches to his money pouch, takes four shiny copper coins and hand them to Garum. "when you say in the water, I presume you mean in the river, or it's some kind of well? After hearing his answer he'll thank him for the ale, mentioning that's very good and will return to the others."The owner said that the origin of the sickness is in the water, do you think we should investigate?"- he mentions, in between gulps.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Lann, loving food and drink, will have followed Cyrus.
    "I don't like the sound of this. Stinks of tyranny or corrupt rulers," Lann whispers, the turns to talk to Garum.
    "Could I have a mug of whatever you just gave Cyrus? And maybe the answers to a few questions?"
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-08-02 at 04:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Corrupt rulers, hum? It's possible, but it's too soon to say. Could just as well be a disease, a curse, some guy that thinks it's funny or even the work of demons and devils, so don't put put your griffons in front of the chariot." He whispers back to Lann. "If we saw one of the sick, maybe we can get some answers."This he says more to himself then to anyone esle, thought the others can hear him.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Corruption - It's about the only trait I hate more than incompetence in a ruler." Muttering to herself and frowning slightly, as though remembering something distasteful, Saverana straightens up and says more loudly: "My good dwarf, who exactly are these 'benevolent lords' you speak of?" The cat sitting on her lap opens an eye wide, looking disturbingly like a human arching an eyebrow.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rugart, a quite large half-orc carrying seven weapons openly on his person, carrying a barrel almost half his size, has bee rather quiet before the tavern. He takes a seat at the bar beside Cyrus, thunking his barrel down on the floor behind him. After seeing Cyrus enjoys the special brew, turns around and rummages in his barrel, withdrawing a single gold piece.

"I'll have whatever he's havin." Thunking his gold coin on the bar, "Only have one of the gold ones." He gives a toothy smile, revealing a broken tusk, and drinks the mug down in a single gulp as soon as he gets it.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

"Corrupt rulers, hum? It's possible, but it's too soon to say. Could just as well be a disease, a curse, some guy that thinks it's funny or even the work of demons and devils, so don't put put your griffons in front of the chariot." He whispers back to Lann. "If we saw one of the sick, maybe we can get some answers."This he says more to himself then to anyone esle, thought the others can hear him.
    "As always, you prove to be a much wiser man than I. Mayhaps if you and Lady Ta'aert could use your powers to discern the nature of whatever is in the water?" Lann looks to Garum again, "Good sir, could I get some food and directions to the well with my drink?"
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-08-02 at 06:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"In the water,.... or in the sick themselves. If it's a disease I believe I can diagnose it, if it's magical, there's a particular spell my god has given me that could help. If that is not helpfull, I suggest going up river, if the cause is the water, then it should be the origin."
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2010-08-02 at 07:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

"In the water,.... or in the sick themselves. If it's a disease I believe I can diagnose it, if it's magical, there's a particular spell my god has given me that could help. If that is not helpfull, I suggest going up river, if the cause is the water, then it should be the origin."
    "Hmm...a good idea...however, let's eat and plan first, we need food. I for one, while not wanting to complain or seem weak, would prefer to combat disease, evil, and other things on a full stomache!"
    Last edited by RE:Insanity; 2010-08-02 at 07:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rugart's expression looks like one of discomfort, which has shown to be a common occurrence when he thinks a little too much. "Wait a minute... what's this we're drinkin' made of, if it's in the water shouldn't we be gettin' sick?"
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?