New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Thokk

"Ach, I be needing a little alone time, after that sleep for me"

*Thokk heads off to his room and simply prays before his sword before retiring for the night*

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elthan I helps Callos pay for his room and for his meals, since the necromancer has no coins of his own.

The others spend 10 sp for their room and board. The village innkeeper is thrilled to have so many paying patrons all at once, and she goes out of her way to make sure that everyone has a comfortable, clean bed and fresh water for bathing.

[hr]
    The morning dawns cold but clear. It has been your first restful night of sleep in a very long time, and everyone gathers downstairs in a very good mood for a hearty breakfast of smoked bacon and eggs cooked to order ...

"So you're heading to Telflamm then?" asks the innkeeper, as she pours tall glasses of fresh milk for each of you.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

"Sweet sweet innkeeper, do you have any idea how thankful I am to see such fine fare? After what I've been eating for the past....Huh, its a long while, trust me. But anyway this looks delicious. Much better then what I ate when I was transformed and certainly better the trail rations. All praise to the great bacon cooker!"

The small speech sounded very much like rambling and it was. Callos wasn't joking when he said that he hadn' had a decent meal in a very long time...not counting humaniods when he was a drider. To him this was better then a kings feast and he dug in with relish.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #634
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Few things could bring a smile to Lumpy's face, but the otherwise surly orc was positively beaming as he enters the common room. His head was shaved smooth, and cleaned to a nice polish, and his beard has been properly cleaned and unknotted. His vast frame, as usual covered only by his pair of pants, had finally been cleaned of accumulated grime. Though he'd picked up more than a few new scars he was, simply put, "good as new". Only a few traces of redness lingered around his eyes, responding to the morning sun.

When the innkeep asks about Telflamm, Lumpy shrugs, not bothering to stop eating as he speaks,

"Telflamm? I guess. I ain't got any reason ta go there, but I ain't got nowhere else ta be either." He glances at the others gathered around the table, then shrugs, "It's convenient enough fer now, anyhow."

----

Lumpy will also buy 10 days worth of rations and refill his waterskins.
    Oh, and a dagger if he can get one.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa bounces down to breakfast in clothes that are, for the first time in what seems like ages, clean. Evidently the gnome has taken advantage of the bathhouse as well; her dusky skin has a decidedly pink tinge from scrubbing, and her long blonde hair is wet and unbraided. "I smell BACON! And eggs! Ohh yes, a proper hot breakfast!" Beaming, Lissa takes a seat and promptly begins to devour the food. Amazing how such a small, skinny person can eat so much.

"Mmph, mm-hmm." Lissa nods in response to the innkeeper's query, seemingly unwilling to stop eating her delicious meal for such a trivial thing as talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]"

Darius

"Yes, we are headed there, can you tell us about it?"

Darius stuffs his face with bacon, making it a little hard to understand his words.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

7. - Top - End - #637

"Oh, well you know how big cities are - noisy, filthy, crowded - no place for for simple folk like ourselves, I'll tell you!

"I have heard that Telflamm's been a lot more crowded than usual (and that's saying a lot!) what with all the refugees from the West and from the South and all.

"Plus, with those damned black corsairs all over the Sea, there's been a lot less trade than usual coming into the port.

"They say that the merchants are thinking about trying to open up a trade route to the east into the Waste! Isn't that the craziest thing you've ever heard of?

"Supposedly they think there's a whole 'nother land out beyond the Waste. They call it 'Kara-Tur' or something like that. Poppycock, I call it. Sounds like they're trying to build a 'Road to Nowhere' if you asked me ...

"Getting to Telflamm is easy enough. Just follow the road, cross the river at the ferry, and keep heading south until you see the city. Should only take you a couple of days ..."

8. - Top - End - #638

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

What's all this? People from where are killing the people of the [/b]what[/b]? Merchants are who because they want to do what? What's going on?!!

Achkby frowns to himself as this conversation whirs about his head, and keeps eating his eggs.

[OOC]Achkby would like to buy a Pony in lieu of a pack mule. If he succeeds at this, he'd also like to get 50 ft. of Hemp Rope, and 20 days worth of trail rations, or whatever the animal can comfortably hold.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #639

Fizahn:

Just a couple days. I'll get some trail rations here and then get a job in Telflamm so I can get one of those magic backpacks and more trail rations. Fizahn picks up the trail rations until they start to get heavy. He then puts some back and ends up purchasing eleven. They're ripping me off. A big person gets four times as much food for the same price. I'll get Callos to buy me food next time. Fizahn looks at the rest of his group. "I'm ready to go," he announces. "I'd sure hate to overstay our welcome, and I need a real job."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-27 at 09:09 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, me as well lad, and I be needing some proper dwarf ale and steel, makes one near invincable!"

*Thokk goes out and buys 10 rations, and then rejoins the group*

OOC: The bathrobe is quite drafty, and seriously lacking in protection. Thokk is going to have a very hard time tanking without some good armor, so he might stay semi towards the back in a fight, at least untill he can get armored up

11. - Top - End - #641

Elthan goes about to aquire a set of leather armor, food for a ten-day, a mule, saddle and cart(so not everyone has to walk, or carry thier stuff), as well as food enough for it for ten days. Elthan also trades out his staff for a couple of spears.

(OOC: 10+5+(5+8+15) + .5 + 10 = 53.5. I never really spent that much of what I had, so now it's shoping spree time!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

12. - Top - End - #642

As the innkeeper describes the complicated rumors and political intrigues of the East, your head swims. In the Underdark, such things would have seemed laughably trivial.

[hr]
    With your stomachs happy and full, you spend the morning equipping yourselves for the journey ahead. For Lissa, Achkby and Fizahn, each "large person" ration will likely last two days.

Thokk has no money of his own, but Elthan I offers to pay for Thokk's rations and promises to help the dwarf reacquire new armor once the party reaches Telflamm.

[hr]
    While repacking her haversack, Lissa discovers a folded piece of paper tucked inside ...

OOC: From now on, all OOC discussions will now take place in The Golden Griffon.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih has been very quiet since they left the plane of shadows. He sets about the task of buying equipment, a grim look etched on his face.

(( Hajih purchases 8 trail rations and a short sword ))
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

14. - Top - End - #644

Aeroz

In his spare time, Aeroz peruses the shops, looking for anything interesting. Not wanting to risk the possible negative effects of any shadowstuff weapon, he is the only one left in his group without an enhanced weapon, except for Sheyra and the spellcasters who have no need for a weapon.

A glint of gold catches his eye, the signet ring that Prozen gave to him. He had three, Sedryn's, Wottworte's and his own.

Hmm, Prozen must have given these to us for a reason. They must be valuable in some way, besides letting any potential bounty hunter know who I am or identifying myself to one of Prozen's allies. Lissa might know...I wonder if Baran has a contact here.

After a while of contemplating the advantages and disadvantages of selling one of the signet rings, he decides not to, but goes to find Lissa to see if she might know if it's worth anything.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

15. - Top - End - #645

When Aeroz checks his pockets for the three signet rings, he only finds two, his and Wottworte's. "Sedryn ..." he thinks to himself. He had forgotten that he had given back the ring, the holy symbol and the heavy mace when Sedryn had reappeared.

With a heavy heart, he puts the two rings back and finds Lissa, who is just unfolding the letter she had found tucked into her haversack.

[hr]
    If you are reading this, then I can only assume that we are dead. Again.

I write this in the hopes that I am wrong, but your sudden appearance (or ours, I suppose, from your point of view) simply defies natural explanation. That can only mean that our existence is unnatural.

Hard as it is to accept, I believe that Taern, Djital, Thokk, myself and our mysterious woman companion indeed died as you described. If this is so, then how and why have we returned? Obviously, the spring is the key.

I have many theories. Perhaps the spring heals wounds both physical and emotional? Perhaps the spring somehow "sensed" that our deaths had caused some of you pain, and it tried its best to ease that pain by bringing us back to life?

These are just speculations, but I can think of no other reason why we would be brought back into this sort of shadow existence. Perhaps it also explains why we seem to be unable to leave this place.

I have another concern. Resurrection, even a false one, is not easy to achieve. Our existence here means that there is a debt of some kind that must be paid. Even now, I feel as though darkness is closing in on us, trying to reclaim us in death to restore the natural order.

As I wrote earlier, if you are reading this, then likely my fears have come true and we have been returned to the darkness. Do not weep for us though. It is as it should be, and with the balance restored, I am sure that you will be free once and for all from the shadows.

I believe that I can speak for all five of us when I say that it has been a joy to walk with you all again. I, at least, have no regrets.

Yours in Lathander's light,

Sedryn

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa doesn't seem to notice Aeroz's approach, unusual for the perceptive and high-strung rogue. In a minute or so, he gets a clue as to why. The Gnomish Waterworks are starting up again. Sniffle. Sniffff. She puts the letter down just in time for the full-blown tears and sobs to start.

"Se- Sedryn..."

17. - Top - End - #647
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Cinching a few last buckles on his armor, Lumpy shifts, letting the plate slide into place. Freshly cleaned, the worn steel reflects the harsh sunlight dully, a side affect of his armor he'd always hated. Already, the growing light was giving him a headache, but he was used to it, as old memories of life under the sun resurfaced. He was much fonder of travelling by night, but he had no doubt that was a peculiarity he alone possessed among his companions.

Companions.. There was a novel thought. He'd considered making off on his own from the start, at least briefly. It was a cinch that he'd preferred to work and travel alone before. But he'd hesitated. He knew why, really, even if he didn't like to admit it, but the bond formed by the trek through the dark defied even his solitary soul. He had a perfectly good rationale, of course, travelling to Telflamm out of convenience. After all, a mercenary needed to find people to find employment. Of course that was why he was going.. simple common sense.

His pack was already ordered and ready, old hat for someone as transient as him. Snatching it up, the burly orc slings it over his back, shimmying his armored limbs through the straps in a practiced, if not awkward maneuver. He casts a few glances around at his companions through slitted eyes, eventually settling on Lissa, Always crying...

With a soft scowl, he limps his way over to the gnome, his growl tinged with mild exasperation,

"What in the Abyss's got ya worked up this time?"

18. - Top - End - #648

Finding food, but no mount, Achkby approaches the shopkeeper in hopes of advice.

"'Scuse me, sirrah, but could you perchance direct me to someplace where I might find myself some equines?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

With a slam the new spell book that he had acquired slammed shut and Callos stood from the comfortbale position he had been laying in and stretched languidly. For some reason it seemed invigoration to him to actually be able to read his spell book again even if it wasn't the best of physical activities.

Upon leaving his room in the inn the necromancer couldn't help but find his gaze drawn to the young monk. With more then a little bit of hesitance the thin man walked up to the younger girl and stood there awkardly. After all Sheyra was a mystery to him compared to all of the others in this merry little band. This wasn't easy, Callos had never taken well to talking to people of a younger age.

"Uhh....Hey there Sheyra."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #650

The innkeeper points Achkby to a friendly farmer who sells the halfling a brown and white pony. "Take good care of her. Her name is Betty!"

[hr]
    Sheyra looks up when Callos says hello.

"Oh, hello."

She is absent-mindedly combing her long dark hair with a brush she borrowed from the innkeeper.

"I gave my hairbrush to the illithid ferryman," she explains. "It all seems so long ago, doesn't it?"

With a few deft movements, she ties up her hair with a white ribbon, then looks directly at Callos.

"Do you miss him? Djital, I mean."

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

A moment of surprise flooded Callos's face, followed quickly by irriatation, then pain, and then grief. With an audible groan he sat down heavily across from her. For once the 30ish year old man seemed to be showing his age as he nodded slowly, almost wearily.

"You have keen perceptions young lady. These past couple of days have been hell on me. One of my only...no my ONLY friend from childhood was killed before my eyes by a stone monstrosity. Then not a couple of days or weeks later I was forced to confront him once more after I had barely reconciled myself with his demise....only to watch him charge off and battle some hideos undead. Something that feeds off death and shadows which Djital might have been. So yes, I miss Djital very much actually. So far if another member of this group where to die I don't think I would be too troubled. After all, I've barely had any chance to get to know any of you. But him....think of it as if you lost your brother or a twin."

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa hastily wipes her face as Lumpy walks up. "Oh, Sedryn left a letter in my pack. It's hard enough losing a friend once... losing one twice, well..." She clears her throat and promptly changes the subject. "'This time', eh? Believe it or not, I'm not usually this weepy. Being a blind archer in a place that's deadly even for healthy people, meeting dead friends and comrades, watching them... die... yeah, that's more than enough to make most people cry." Lissa smiles, though it looks a bit strained. "But hey, in a few days we'll be in Telflamm! It'll be great to be in a proper city again." She gives the muscular half-orc a curious look. "So, are you coming with, or going your own way now? Be nice to have you along, but it's up to you."

23. - Top - End - #653

Aeroz

"Ahh Teflamm, where hopefully my troubles will end. Well, this particular set of troubles anyways..." Aeroz says with a smirk.

He then wanders back to one of the merchants, his curiosity getting the better of him. When he arrives at a shop, he places one of his signet rings on the table.

"Hey, how much do you think this old thing is worth?" he inquires bluntly.

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs, doing a poor job of playing the question off,

"Fer now, fer now. I ain't got nowhere else ta go, or any coin." He jingles his purse ruefully, "Imagine, if ya will, business being so bad that ya take jobs in the underdark. Rough times."

He pauses, playing his jaundiced gaze over he gnome appraisingly. When he speaks again, his tone has softened,

"Ain't dealt with much death, have ya?" The broad-shouldered orc sighs throatily, "I've seen a lot'a folks eat it, comraes in name if not spirit. So much it don't bother me any more. Cold life makes a cold heart, or something philosophical like that." His speech bordering closely on pointless rambling, he finishes up abruptly, "The point is, I guess.. Never let that sentiment become a vulnerability, but never give it up, or it's gone fer good."

25. - Top - End - #655

Achkby approaches the mismatched couple with his new pack animal and a cheery disposition.
    "So, I've finally been able to replace Jari, bless his soul, with this girl here. Named Bess," he announces to them.
    Oops... was this a bad time?
    He stops as he gets a bit closer, raising his eyebrows in surprise and then furrowing them in worry.
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt... were you discussing something... er, it's really not my business... ah, are you alright?" he finally asks Lissa, fixing on her red-rimmed eyes and extending a hand to place on her shoulder.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

26. - Top - End - #656

While Achkby and Lumpy comfort Lissa, Callos continues his conversation with Sheyra, sitting down next to the young monk, who leans her head on his shoulder wearily.

"I think I know how you feel, Callos. My mother died when I was just a baby, and now the Mulhorandi have killed my father and brothers. It's just me now.

"It was different when I was just trying to stay alive down in the Underdark, but now that we're safe, it is starting to hit me that I am truly all alone now."

She puts her head down, letting her bangs fall down into her face, but Callos can see the tears glistening on her cheeks.

[hr]
    Meanwhile, Aeroz tries to sell one of the gold signet rings he received from Prozen.

"Hmm ..." The village shopkeeper appraises the ring with interest, pointing out its engraved design.

"See this two-headed snake? It's the symbol of the Order of the Serpent. That cult disappeared a long time ago from these parts. Where'd you get this?"

The shopkeeper goes on to explain that the Order of the Serpent was once a powerful pseudo-religious group dedicated to the idea that the cold-blooded races such as the yuan-ti, lizardkin and dragons should rule over warm-blooded mammals, like humans, elves and dwarves.

The Order of the Serpent was once well-established here in the East, but had long ago disintegrated or perhaps moved underground. The shopkeeper is surprised to see their symbol on the ring, and he is reluctant to buy it.

"Maybe you'd have better luck pawning it in Telflamm ..."

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa smiles at Lumpy, recognizing the sentiment through his unpracticed words. "Thank you, Lumpy. You're right, I haven't seen that much of death... at least, not people I care about. Don't worry about me breaking down in a fight, my reflexes will keep me going even when my mind is gone in fear." She manages a bit of a mischievous smile. "Remember the cave with the giant ant-things?"

When Achkby enters and expresses his concern, Lissa gives him a smile and covers his hand with her own. "I'm better now, thank you. As I was telling Lumpy, Sedryn left a note in my pack..." Lissa clears her throat. "So you got a new pony, eh? That's great!" She offers her free hand for Bess to sniff.

I miss Patch... should I get another riding dog? I don't have enough gold, and I'd rather save up for a dog than buy a pony now. Ponies are nice and all, but dogs can keep you warm at night.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

What in the...? Is she crying? Great job Callos, you made a young girl who can kick your scarwny behind cry. Once more the look of surprise came to his face as Sheyra leaned her head on his shoulder and looked as if she was crying. And that was no good at all, can't do having someone break down now that they where actually safe! So as carefully as he could, after all he was hardly a people person, Callos brushed the bangs out of the girls eyes and used his thumb to wipe the tears away. A sad smile was on his face though it more seemed to reflect on the fact of the troubles someone so young had been through.

"Thats the biggest load of crock I've heard in a good bit. Alone? Is that what you call being surronded by so many people who watch out for you and care for you? I don't think most of them show it well but its my belief that some of them look at you as a younger sister. To say your alone is like saying the sky is purple. Your family may not be around anymore but you shouldn't worry for them. You do need to worry for yourself." With a grim chuckle Callos chucked the young monk on the shoulder before continueing. "Afterall how can you deliver that letter if you get all weepy now? Lean on me if you have too Sheyra but don't weaken in your resolve now."

29. - Top - End - #659

"Mmmmmhh..." Achkby murmurs, petting Bess's mane.
    Should I ask? Or maybe... oh, well.

He glances uncertainly up at Lumpy, and inquires of Lissa, "Was it a... sad letter?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #660

Aeroz

"I got it as a gift. Never bothered to ask where it was from, but it looked expensive, and I am a little strapped for gold right now.."

Aeroz pockets the ring and exits the store. Order of the Serpent? Never heard of it. Perhaps Callos would know something of it.

Taking his own advice, Aeroz looks around to find where Callos may be. When he finds him standing next to a crying Sheyra.

"What did I miss? Oh yeah, Callos? Do you know anything about a group in the east called the Order of the Serpent?"

Spoiler
    Show