New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Fizahn:

Fizahn laughs in amazement as his bolt hits the creature. It's been too long since I've actually done something useful. I need to start contributing more. As the being falls to the ground, he draws his dagger warily. There is no way it could be dead already. He looks at Thokk as the shadow being issues its challenge. "Well, I already hit it once. If you want to take up the challenge, anything I have is at your disposal. For a limited time only though, you scoundrel. Otherwise, I'd be more than willing to help you take it out." Fizahn anxiously thumbs his dagger while waiting for Thokk's decision.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-28 at 04:57 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

"Theres no way I'm letting just one of us get to kill this abomination! I AM going to avenge my friend!" The necromancer snarled out his reply even as he held his spellbook at the ready, eyes locked unto the creature.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #693
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, this be my fight lads, time to send this creature from whence it came, and I am not letting it take me!"

"Come to me, denizen of darkness, and prepare to meet your undoing. Thou shall not take the form of a mitheral guard!"

*Thokk readies an action to attack with the sword as soon as the creature gets in range*

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

Damn.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby is paralyzed for a moment as the gnome kisses him.

Wow.

He awkwardly tries to kiss her back, nervously trying to slide his own lips around her exotically round ones.
    What... are you... or do you? No. ...maybe?

As he struggles to be as kind as he can in his kiss, his hands still gripping the haft of his spear, he suddenly hears the roar, and breaks away, whipping around and looking up.

Oh, Hlal! The NIGHTWING!!!

He is confused for a moment, as he sees no silhouette coming to bring his doom, but quickly finds the shadow-dwarf.
    He hears the others speak, but only Thokk's words register.
    And even in the face of his demise, still so loyal...

Achkby sits stiff for a few seconds, but then suddenly turns around to Lissa. A wan smile and furrowed brows send conflicting messages to the gnome behind him, but portray his emotions perfectly.

[OOC]Oh, this brings back strange memories. Oh, and I'd never thought about this before, but I decided that Gnomes have rounder lips than Halflings. :-/[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Mmm... yes, yes, like that... Oh Baravar, the NIGHTWING!! Lissa breaks off at about the same time Achkby does, for the same reason; i.e. bone-chilling undead roar. She smiles wryly at him, then slides off the pony's back and starts running toward Thokk.

"Thokk! Hold still a second, I've got a spell that might help here!" She begins chanting at high speed in Celestial, a prayer asking Baravar to protect her ally from evil. As Lissa finishes, she touches the dwarf's shoulder. White light flares around him for an instant. "There, now it can't affect your mind. Go forth, kick ass, and try not to get too badly mangled 'cause I've only got one healing spell!" The moment the spell is completed, Lissa beats a hasty retreat, crossbow in hand.

OOC: Cast protection from evil (domain spell) on Thokk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

6. - Top - End - #696
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"A million blessings upon ye, lassie! Kick ass I shall!"

*To the Group*

"Ach, I feel drafty in this blasted robe! I need fine steel protecting me, or a shield at least! Regardless, this is my fight, and mine alone. Ye all better not get in my way, and let me fight to the death if so needed."

OOC: *COUGH*MAGE ARMOR*COUGH*

7. - Top - End - #697

When Thokk accepts the challenge, the shadow-creature bows stiffly. A moment later, the shade is in motion, charging with its obsidian sword held in both hands overhead.

Thokk sidesteps, bringing up his sword just a fraction of a second too late and is cut deeply across his upper chest. Those of you with low-light vision or darkvision can see a dark stain spreading across Thokk's robe.

Thokk counters with a mighty blow of his own, but the shadow-Thokk seems to anticipate the move and deflects it easily.

OOC: The shade hits with an 10 for 18 damage. Thokk misses with a 15.

8. - Top - End - #698

Thokk slashes at the giant shadow-dwarf with his magic sword, but the shadow-Thokk counters each move easily, as if aware of what Thokk will do even before he does it.

The shade counterattacks, and Thokk raises his blade to parry. The two swords meet edge to edge, binding together for a moment. Thokk feels his sword grow cold as ice ...

OOC: Thokk misses with a 25. The nightwing uses magic drain on Thokk's sword. The sword has to make a DC 22 Fort save or lose its enhancement bonus.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Having retreated safely out of shadow-Thokk's reach, Lissa raises her crossbow to her shoulder. "Hey, dark and ugly! Yeah, you, shadow-thing! Your ma was a dretch and your pa shaved his beard! You stink like a troll that's been swimming through Selgaunt's sewer system, and a troll's probably smarter than you!" If this thing is mimicking Thokk's mind as well as his body, it'll have a temper... and anything with a temper can be taunted! The gnome grins, aims carefully, and fires. The moment the shadowstuff bolt leaves the crossbow, Lissa starts reloading.

OOC: Remember everyone, you've got a bless active!

Attack: 27 - 4 for melee = 22. Woot!
    Damage: 6, magical for DR purposes.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Not more than a dozen paces from Thokk and anti-Thokk, the muscular ord glances at one guantleted hand with mocking disinterest, as if inspecting his nails. He continues to rattle his flail with the other hand, the shadowy weapon clinking artificially,

"Ya know, far be it from me ta comment upon matters of honor, but.. Well, fights ta the death are great and all, but they're a helluva lot better when they're fights ya can win." He flexes his wrist abruptly, throwing the black head of his flail in a quick loop, "And ya ain't got the right tools ta win this one. I'm perfectly capable'a watching ya kill yerself fighting this thing, but there's other options."

11. - Top - End - #701

Ahkby leaps from Bess after Lissa, albeit rather more cumsily. "Steel?!" he cries to Thokk. "I have better than mere steel, you infernally narrowminded dwarf!"

As soon as he reaches the lightly-robed combatant, he reaches out and repeats the motions for the spell he coast on himself only a minute before.

[OOC]Yeah, there's your Mage Armor.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

12. - Top - End - #702
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ah, this is MY FIGHT! Let me do the combat, dont git yerselvs drawn in!"

*Thokk prepares himself and once more clashes with the anti-Thokk*

Sword Fort Save (1d20+8=13)

Thokk To Hit (1d20+10=17)

OOC: Yay armor, crap attack roll and fort save...
    This is not looking good....

13. - Top - End - #703

Either too proud or too foolish to ask for help, Thokk continues to contend with his shadow-self alone. To make matters worse, his sword suddenly grows heavier and clumsier in his hands as the shadow-Thokk drains its magical properties.

Despite this, Thokk continues to hack away at his alter-ego, but the shade parries his blows with ease, toying with Thokk the way a feral cat toys with a field mouse.

Eventually, the shade seems to tire of this sport, and it changes lines suddenly, its sword biting deeply into Thokk's thigh. Crying out in pain and anger, Thokk drops backward onto the frozen ground. The dark creature raises its sword overhead with both hands, ready to finish Thokk off ...

At that moment, Lissa's crossbow bolt tears through the shadow-Thokk, causing the same ripple effect you had observed during your brief previous encounter on the shadow plane. The shadow-Thokk roars in pain and turns to face Lissa. Its black-within-black eyes narrow as they focus on the small gnome ...

Thokk, dizzy from blood loss, scrambles backward, trying to regain his footing.

OOC: Thokk's sword fails its Fort save and is reduced to a masterword weapon. Thokk misses. The shadow-Thokk hits for 20 points of damage. Lissa hits for 6 points of damage.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Enough of this honorable ****!"

The older human growled out from between his teeth even as his spellbook flipped open to the approbriate page and he read of the spell quickly. Putting his thumbs together he formed his hands into a vertical plane pointed directly at the nightwing as jets of red hot flames shot from his finger tips.

OOC:

5d4=11 Burning Hands damage.

Reflex Save of 13 and spell resistance applies.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa swallows as the shadow-Thokk takes notice of her. "Come on people, let's lay some smackdown on this thing! Thokk's nearly down!" Why isn't Darius firing? Oh yeah, humans are night-blind... With a few simple gestures and words in Gnomish, Lissa's signature quartet of dancing lights appears over shadow-Thokk's head. "There, it's all lit up now. Feel free to fire, Darius!" With that, she scrambles back away from the thing, but not out of her crossbow's range.

OOC: Use dancing lights spell-like ability and move.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Running in, Hajih stabs both dagger and sword into the Anti-Thokk.

((To Hit:
    Dagger: 12
    Shortsword: 9 ))
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

17. - Top - End - #707

Lissa illuminates the area with dancing lights, revealing the combat to those who lack the ability to see in low-light.

Callos blasts the shadow-dwarf with burning hands causing the shade to writhe in momentary pain.

Hajih slips in to attack, thrusting with his shortsword and slashing simultaneously with his shadowstuff dagger. The sword passes through the anti-Thokk harmlessly, but the dagger does seem to open up a bloodless wound on the shade's arm.

The shadow-Thokk pauses for a moment, regarding the new combatants. It seems to shiver for an instant, then begins moving even more quickly than before, almost faster than the eye can see ...

OOC: Lissa creates dancing lights.Callos hits with burning hands for 11 damage. Hajih misses with his shortsword, but hits with the dagger for 4 damage. The shadow-Thokk activates its haste ability.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The dour orc mutters a few incoherant curses, shaking his head,

"Fine, fine. But when he gets pissed later, I want it on record that I was gonna let it kill him honor intact."

With an almost lazy flick of his wrist, Lumpy throws his flail into a quick loop, drawing his other hand to the haft as he powers his shadowy weapon into the circular motion that makes it so deadly. With a resigned look, he closes on the shadow-doppelganger, looking for an opening to strike upon.

((OOC

Nightwing Attack & Damage (1d20 + 12=28, 1d10+7=12)
    ))

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 2Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Lissa

Having regained her composure somewhat, the gnome again aims carefully and fires a shadowstuff bolt at the shadow-Thokk. "Yeah, well, better pissed than dead, don't you think?" Lissa pulls out another of the shadowy bolts and reloads her crossbow.

OOC: Attack 22 - 4 for melee = 18
    Damage = 2 >_<

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Simply consign yourself to oblivion you wretched creature! You have no place on this plane so just BURN!"

Even as the wizard gritted his teeth and prepared to cast the same spell again, he began to run through the quickly complications in his mind. This was his last actual harm causing spells. If this didn't work there wasn't much more he could do without physically battling with the nightwing, a prospect he never relished. Still it never stopped the arcane words of power from tumbling from his lips and once more holding his hands on a vertical plane with his thumbs together as another sheet of flames sprang forth towards the nightwing. The image of Djital's face stayed clear in his mind even as he finished the final word and sent the flames boiling forth.

Just for the simple act of destroying his companion's second chance at life the necromancer would show no mercy to the being even if it was stronger then he was. Too much had been invested in Djital and too much pain from his passing had touched upon Callos, bringing back vile memories of his days with his old master.

"Now pull back the skin there Callos...Good. Now do you see the source?" A bright knife peeling back the skin and tissue on th subject on the table. White light coming from above.

"Not yet...are you sure that they feel nothing? And that they are murderers?" A tremble in the scapel then.

"Silly questions boy. Instead you should be asking why you don't see the spark of this subjects being yet. Obviously you've been slacking in your studies." Sterness radiating and also the thinly veiled threat that lay behind. Reaching for something concealed on a belt.

"Of course not master! I know better then to slack off...I know what will happen if I do.." Steady again. Resignation clear.

"Gooooood then. I think I'll ask for a demonstration of your devotion then." A scream then. The pain killing spell had been lifted and the creature was consisious. Awoken to what was happening to it.

"Now then Callos...kill her."

((Burning Hands damage:
    5d4=14

So then a spell and little harmless background development.))

21. - Top - End - #711

Happy Easter, for those of you who celebrate it! I don't...

Achkby, seeing his friends begin to draw the monstrosity off of Thokk, desperately jabs at the thing, trying once more to divert its attention, and then slowly backs even a little farther away from it.

Brave of you, Achkby! But foolish!

[OOC]
    He makes a Longspear Attack (1d20+3=8) which probably misses (Longspear Damage (as if...) (1d6-1=4)) from 10' away, and then backs up another 5'.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

22. - Top - End - #712
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

[OOC: Happy passover. I too do not celebrate it, but my family does. Urgh, my stomach]

Aeroz continues to hesitate, but then goes in to flank(?) the shadow Thokk.

[OOC: Melee Masterwork Rapier +9 (+11 if flanking0; Dmg 5+1=6 (+10 if not undead and flanking); AC 18 (Shadow Thokk designated as dodge target; HP 27/27]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

23. - Top - End - #713

Lissa shoots the shadow-Thokk again while Callos continues to burn the creature with arcane fire. Achkby and Aeroz harrass the shade with their weapons, though it doesn't look like their poking produces much effect.

As Thokk scrambles backwards, Lumpy reluctantly steps in and smashes his shadowstuff flail into the shade's face, shattering its cheekbone and caving in an orbit.

The shadow-Thokk's deformed face is even more hideous than it had been. It twists its features up into what might almost be termed a grin.

With inhuman speed, the shadow-Thokk slashes viciously at Lumpy, opening up a deep wound across his throat, spraying half-orc blood everywhere.

Whirling around, the shadow-Thokk catches Aeroz under his guard. The elf gasps as the shadowblade slices into his side.

[hr]
    Sheyra runs to Thokk's side and administers a healing potion. The color returns to Thokk's cheeks, and he climbs back to his feet with a determined look on his face.

The Elthans stand to the side, seemingly unwilling to intervene ...

OOC: Callos burns the creature for 14 points. Lissa hits for 2 points. Lumpy hits for 12 points. Achkby and Aeroz miss (or do no damage).

The hasted shadow-Thokk crits Lumpy with a natural 19 and 20, hitting for 31 points of damage. Its second attack hits Aeroz with a 24 (6 + 18) for 16 points.

The nightwing/shadow-Thokk has taken a total of 49 (21 + 28) points of damage.

Current HP

Thokk 24 (51 - 18 - 20 + 11)
    Lumpy 11 (42 - 31)
    Aeroz 11 (27 - 16)

24. - Top - End - #714

Elthan II

Elthan has his spear drawn, ready to go into the fray. He waits for Elthans signal to go in.
    "Why are we just standing here? We should help them."
    "Well, so long as we're relativly safe, I see no need to get involved."
    "But the reason your here is that you wanted to be involved. You wanted to be apart of this so much, that even if you couldn't go along you wanted them to have you at thier side. Well, here you are. You were with them but now your gone, leaving them to themselves."
    "Now, I am here because someone wanted to help them no matter, and now I intend to do this whether he still wants to or not."

Elthan II steps forward and casts his spell, the aura around his hands growing darker and the line between the Shadow-Thokk and he growing red as the light loses its own strength.

(OOC: Using lazyness to build character, I'm awful.
    Casting Ray of EnfeeblementTouch Attack, Str Damage (1d20+2=14, 1d6+2=4)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

25. - Top - End - #715
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"TIME TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*Thokk Regains himself and Charges his anti-self*

OOC: Im getting bad visions in my head, with me almost dying, a potion healing me, and then charging again.... Meh, I am of no use at all not in combat, and Im hopin someone will be able to heal me, here's hoping

Thokk To Hit (1d20+12=30)

Thokk Damage (1d10+6=14)

OOC: HAHAHA! Eat that you damned anti-me! Also, people better get the healing potions ready...

26. - Top - End - #716

Achkby scurries away from the shadow of death and towards Lisaa as quickly as his woefully short legs can carry him.
    "I'll burn this shadow away," he growls, and plants his feet firmly in the soft earth. He begins to move through sharp, precise hand gestures, and some guttural words bring flood a fiery power to his head. Pointing a stiff arm over lumpy's head and straight at the thing's ribcage, he unleases a blast of heat with as much force as he can muster.

[OOC]Retreating 20', and casting Scorching Ray at the shadow-Thokk.
    Scorching Ray To Hit (1d20+5=24), -4 into melee=20.
    Scorching Ray Damage (4d6=14) (it rolled 1, 6, 1, 6, which I think is impressive).
    [/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #717
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Lashing out with his dagger and shortsword, Hajih roars in time with his swings.

[hr]

To Hit:
    Shortsword- 10
    Dagger- 23

Damage:
    Dagger- 6
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

28. - Top - End - #718
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The hard-lined scowl fades from Lumpy's face as the shadow retailiates, the swift brutality of it's response catching the veteran off guard. Eyes widened with momentary fear, he allows the blow to stagger him back a step before instinct kicks in. Even as the last drops of blood impacted upon the ground, he kicks back one foot, setting it, then the other, arresting his backpeddle.

It took every fiber of his being to fight the urge to raise a hand to feel the burning line across his throat. From the blood drawn, he knew it was bad, and hard logic told him that was all he needed or wanted to know at present. Logic also told him to retreat - there was nothing to be gained from further risking his neck (quite literally, it seemed.) But there were still other factors interfering, ones he still refused to consciously consider..

Damn, it's happening again. Always getting myself involved in someone elses problems. You'd think I'd've learned by now.

Letting his errant thoughts fade into the background of the infinately more relavant fight, the taciturn orc quickly considers his options. He should run, obviously, but he'd give it one more go before he did. He still had one last trick to lay out. The thing had proven itself to be considerably strong, but that didn't make it insurmountable.

With a raspy hiss that is most likely the least impressive warcry ever sounded, he redirects himself at the nightwing. Throwing his flail into a clockwise spin, he lets fly, seemingly a clear miss as the head sails past his target. But with one practiced motion and no small show of force, he abruptly shifts his grip and reverses the rotation, drawing the weapon back in an attempt to hook it around his opponent.

((OOC

Trip attempt
    Trip Attempt (1d20 + 12=24, 1d20+8=10)

If successful (doubtful) he'll follow up with an attack

If not, he'll drop his flail if he has to to avoid being tripped in return, and then take a 5ft step back

))

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Dang it all! The thing was STILL not dead! And the wizard severely doubted that it would even be hurt by his fists. There was still one more spell he knew for a fact would hurt it but then he would be all but helpless. Unless...

"If any of you have a wand then now is the time to fork it over so I can keep blasting it."

A grim look had come to his face even as he saw the vicious attacks on Lumpy and Aeroz but still he flipped his book open to the right page and chanted the words on it. Afterall, it was the best he could do. Unlike when he had tried to cast it in the plane of shadow, no dark clouds suddenly swarmed around the nightwings head but the air there did shimmer. And interesting thing to note.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"ACHKBY!!" Lissa screams as the halfling charges in with his spear, the sound equal parts fear and rage. "Demons take you, stupid man! If you let yourself get killed, I'll kill you!" Well, nobody's at their most articulate in the middle of combat. She aims and fires at the shadow-Thokk with a murderous glint in her eyes. For the blood of my friends, you shall pay in blood... Baravar, help me bring your vengeance on this thing! Lissa reloads her trusty crossbow almost automatically.

OOC: FYI, Baravar is the gnomish god of revenge as well as thieves and illusion.
    Attack 26 - 4 for melee = 22. I love you, invisiblecastle!
    Damage = 7 :D