New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: old computer games i forgot their name

Quote Originally Posted by Daremonai View Post
    The US title was Beyond Oasis, but I notice that Nero is from Scotland. The title you may be looking for is Story of Thor (same game, different name. Also, nobody is called Thor.)

I always did wonder what was up with that name. Beyond Oasis makes perfect sense and fits the world and feel the game is going for. Story of Thor, on the other hand, makes no sense in any context. Okay, there is a story but I'm not seeing anything even remotely related to the rest of the title!
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

There is this 2d platformer with circular levels (go to the right, you end up coming from the left after a while) that I've been trying to remember for some time now. I played it on SEGA. Blue cat-like thing was collecting yellow birds that formed a long tail behind it, dumping them into doors. When all are done, you get to the next level. When hit in the tail, some birds were lost.

Chances are, it started with F, but not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

It sounds like Flicky.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nosignal View Post
    It sounds like Flicky.
    Thank YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hello, I am looking for a couple of games but my descriptions are pretty vague but it's the most I can remember. First off I remember playing them on my Win 95 PC years and years ago. The first game you were a spaceman and shot balls or lasers or something, and it was mostly a grey game in terms of color like everything levels included were all gray and I think the only color was from his laser things he shot. Also I think there were lots of secrets or you go go multiple ways to try and get places maybe. The game is kinda Megaman like but there is no side scrolling and I don't think there were a lot of enemies but it has a side view. The side view is more of a metroid type view and the space guy looks smaller so a farther back side view and you had to go and jump from place to place to get to other parts/levels of the game. Also I think he had only the one weapon. The other game all I remember was having to go around and jump and collect items or letters or something maybe both. Also I thought you had to shoot things/items that you couldn't reach. I think you would just move or run and jump to collect them the items. This was also a side view game. I think both games or at least the second one might have been educational in some way or at least they were for kids since I would have been younger then like 7 or 8 years old or something. I know for sure that the first game was not Captain Comic but in looking that game up I may have also played that game. But a couple of games I do remember playing all the time were Reader Rabbit the one where you are at a circus and second which was like my favorite game ever was Super Solvers Outnumbered. So I know the games I played were educational and or games for kids. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    CyClones maybe? Did you use the mouse to target enemies on the screen, not to move?
    Heh I loved the soundtrack of CyClones, plus you could just pop it into a cd player and listen with no computer. They songs were short but fairly cool beats. Used to fall asleep listening to the soundtrack.

Good times.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

i'm looking for an old game where you play this yellow egg looking creature. it was a platformer, where you had to get to the exit,you could move boxes and you had to avoid lava and bombs and some creatures who were shooting these green balls at you, you also had like this heli-pac and a skateboard with witch you could go faster, you could also make your own levels. i remmember exactly what it was like, but i can't remmember the name!!
    Last edited by tmal; 2010-12-15 at 07:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Well, while we're swapping stories, I got one I've been wondering about since the mid nineties.

Sprite based FPS. Bright colors. You kill people. And the sprites were bad and blocky.

Figured out the other three mystery games from my childhood no sweat.

But that one, I dunno.
    Didn't read the whole thread, but this might have been Depth Dwellers.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tmal View Post
    i'm looking for an old game where you play this yellow egg looking creature. it was a platformer, where you had to get to the exit,you could move boxes and you had to avoid lava and bombs and some creatures who were shooting these green balls at you, you also had like this heli-pac and a skateboard with witch you could go faster, you could also make your own levels. i remmember exactly what it was like, but i can't remmember the name!!
    A few minutes of Google-fu led me to Speedy Eggbert, which seems to be what you're looking for.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    A few minutes of Google-fu led me to Speedy Eggbert, which seems to be what you're looking for.
    omg thank you, unfortunately I'm only a white belt at google-fu.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, this isn't an old game (it isn't even released yet), but this is the best thread I could find. I remember seeing a thread about it on the playground a while ago, but I can't remember any other reference and search fails me. Basically, you played as a shaman or other magical figure (god) and had terrain deformation. So, basically any god-game out there. The only other thing I can remember is that the water/lava physics were very interesting. Help?
    Last edited by DwarvenExodus; 2010-12-16 at 09:16 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    Plus, with the UMD check, I could just threaten to blow the world up using stonehendge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

I WENT TO ART SCHOOL, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    From what you described, you were dying.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
    Brendan Gill

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenExodus View Post
    Ok, this isn't an old game (it isn't even released yet), but this is the best thread I could find. I remember seeing a thread about it on the playground a while ago, but I can't remember any other reference and search fails me. Basically, you played as a shaman or other magical figure (god) and had terrain deformation. So, basically any god-game out there. The only other thing I can remember is that the water/lava physics were very interesting. Help?
    Populous of some sort? Quite possibly Populous: The Beginning?

I mean, it is a really old game but it fits perfectly otherwise.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

@^ Minecraft perhaps? Its the only game I can think of that has interesting water physics and FUN! (tm) lava physics.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2010-12-16 at 09:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    The shooter was almost certainly Doom 2. There wasn't a lot of FPS competition back then. If the walls had been blue, it would have been Castle Wolfenstein (which wasn't child-friendly either, since it taught very effective German swearing).
    Waaaaait a second ... you consider Castle Wolfenstein not suitable for children because there's swearing in a foreign language?

Edit: Oops, thread's seven pages long. So ... nevermind, then.
    Last edited by LCR; 2010-12-16 at 10:21 AM.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenExodus View Post
    maybe ''From Dust'', the water moves dinamicaly and the lava turns into hard rock, the game is out in 2011...

16. - Top - End - #196

Okay, I have one that's been bugging me for a while. Do note that I'm probably a little younger than most of you.

The game I'm trying to remember the name of is probably around late 90'ies or a bit later. You could choose between two characters - a jester who could throw his cane-like thing, and a woman (I think), who could.. Throw something else. You could switch between the two characters between missions, if I remember correctly.
    I remember it to be a 2d sidescroller game with basic jump puzzles and throw-and-guide-your-Jester-cane style action.
    Last edited by Shadowleaf; 2010-12-17 at 12:27 AM.
    English is a second language etc etc.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's it, thanks.
    English is a second language etc etc.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Trying to remember an old edutainment game, or games - there were two of them, but they shared a universe/IP. One was a isometric sorta-3D puzzle-adventure game with a lab worker who accidentally set off a dimensional teleporter machine, and needed to find the parts to fix his machine and go home before the evil robots fixed it on their own and invaded his world. It had mole men and stone golems, plus robots.

the second game was the same setting, but the lab worker/scientist had accidentally cloned or split himself into Good and Evil. You were the Good clone chasing the Evil clone around a city, battling with weapons and minions you collected. One of the 'weapons' was a crazy monkey driving a taxi, who would run your enemy over, and it had a post-battle voiceover of "In the Midst of the Mayhem, the [X] clone lost...' showing what items had been damaged/consumed.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

One that's been bothering me for a while: late 90s/ early 2ks 3D third person action game with a fantasy theme. You had a choice of 3 different characters (a big warrior guy, a woman and a warlock - explicitly referred to as a Warlock, think his name began with a J - with a bandaged face) who I believe each had their own storylines, although they were on the same side. It was definitely released on the Mac (although probably wasn't an exclusive).
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2010-12-20 at 10:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm looking for a game that SilentDragoon posted about in page 3 of this thread. I'll add a bit more detail, too.

It's been driving me crazy the last couple days, because I remember a
    little about it but I can't find it on the internet. Here's what I
    remember:

* Background: I played it at about ages 8-12 - so that would put it
    mid to late 90s. I played it on a Windows machine (probably 95, but
    maybe 3.11 - I can't remember which computer it was on)

* Perspective: Parts were 3D, but it was pretty early.

* Art style: It was somewhat realistic, in a Myst-like sort of way. A
    few parts were cartoony (see detailed description below)

* Environment: A lot of it was a sandbox-type science-lab sort of
    game. There were a bunch of different rooms that you could go into.
    Part had a blueprint design with elevators and conveyor belts, and you
    would run it and a mouse would go through and get to the goal. Another part was a design-your-own car or plane environment, with 6 types of wheels, 5 fuselages, etc. Then your car/plane would go through a test
    course (3D, very choppy). There was another part where you turned
    different power sources (hydraulic, air-powered, gasoline) off or on
    to keep appliances (TV, radio, etc) powered. That part was more
    cartoony.

There was also a lot of very educational things - basic circuit
    designs where you would put solenoids, switches, etc. in the correct
    place for your design to work (this was to design things like
    toasters, etc).

There was also this annoying scientist-guy with a high-pitched voice
    who was your guide throughout the game.

* Mood: Kinda grey... There was also a part where you could get a
    certificate for designing something, and a little fanfare would play.

* Genre: Educational/science!

* Gameplay: Sandbox - no time limit, no timing involved, etc.

Other people have mentioned Gizmos and Gadgets - it's newer than that
    and has much better graphics. It's also not a Dr. Brain game - less
    cartoony than that.

I remember the intro to the game started with "Since the beginning of
    time..." and it named a few famous scientists and showed pictures, and
    then said the name of the cartoony scientist. it's coming back to me
    very slowly... maybe the scientist guy's name was Howard?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

Found it! The game I was searching for is called Invention Studio.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bbgarnett View Post
    Hello, I am looking for a couple of games but my descriptions are pretty vague but it's the most I can remember. First off I remember playing them on my Win 95 PC years and years ago. The first game you were a spaceman and shot balls or lasers or something, and it was mostly a grey game in terms of color like everything levels included were all gray and I think the only color was from his laser things he shot. Also I think there were lots of secrets or you go go multiple ways to try and get places maybe. The game is kinda Megaman like but there is no side scrolling and I don't think there were a lot of enemies but it has a side view. The side view is more of a metroid type view and the space guy looks smaller so a farther back side view and you had to go and jump from place to place to get to other parts/levels of the game. Also I think he had only the one weapon. The other game all I remember was having to go around and jump and collect items or letters or something maybe both. Also I thought you had to shoot things/items that you couldn't reach. I think you would just move or run and jump to collect them the items. This was also a side view game. I think both games or at least the second one might have been educational in some way or at least they were for kids since I would have been younger then like 7 or 8 years old or something. I know for sure that the first game was not Captain Comic but in looking that game up I may have also played that game. But a couple of games I do remember playing all the time were Reader Rabbit the one where you are at a circus and second which was like my favorite game ever was Super Solvers Outnumbered. So I know the games I played were educational and or games for kids. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    This is pretty much a word perfect description of the original Duke Nukem games.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

There is this game I can't remember from my childhood. I played it off a CD about 11-12 years ago or so.

It was like a shooting game (the kind where you evade the crazy enemy shooting - a la Touhou) but it was scifi. You flew a space ship through a series of planets and fought bosses. It had some kind of plot with an intro movie and all, but I can't remember the specifics. Only image I can remember from the cut scene is of some tentacle monster or something attacking a space ship/space station, it poking around inside the ship/station with said tentacles.

The game could not be controlled by keyboard or mouse IIRC, we had to wait to get a joystick to play it - even though you only moved in a 2d plane. We may have just not known how to remap the controls though - I was 6 ok ::)

The first planet was a lava planet I think. Right at the beginning you were flying down a canyon, and did a barrel roll. Then there was this flying boss thing. I there was a second boss, possibly a moon base with satellite dishes that shot at you, but I may be getting confused. The third boss was this flying dragon that you fought in and around a volcano.

The second planet was a desert planet. The first boss was this bug thing that shot lasers at you as it ran away. I think it looked sort of like a beetle :? If you didn't kill it fast enough it would go into this hole in the ground and turn into a spider (or something similar) and fight you. The second boss was this robot in a dome. I am positive it shot honeycomb shaped lasers at you. Like the honeycomb cereal. (yeah, maybe that's just a memory of breakfast and not part of the game, 6 year olds don't try and commit things to memory, it just happens :P) The third boss on the desert planet was a dragon or prey-mantis inside a cave.

The third planet was an ice planet. Its first boss was this HUGE robot with OMFG-I-JUST-DIED huge laser beams of death.

IIRC there were 7 or 9 planets in total, but that first boss on the third planet was the furthest anyone in my family got.

So, any clue? Not remembering what this game was is bugging me so much. Normally I would have the CD (I have most of my old game CD's, even from that long ago) but I was 6. As a 6 year old I did not know that CD's do not bend. That game CD is how I learned that CD's do not bend. *cries*
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Ummm, its my thread and all, but last post was in 2010....
    Despite everything, its still me.

26. - Top - End - #206

Sadly, the only arcade style shooter I've played is Tyrian which, while excellent, does not sound like what you are talking about.
    EDIT: Shh, the thread is being used for the intended purpose. As long as nobody notices, it's totally fine
    Last edited by sucatraps; 2012-01-24 at 10:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Ummm, its my thread and all, but last post was in 2010....
    Didn't notice that
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi everybody! I have forgotten the name of a game. There were two games in the series(the ones that i know of). The first was with robots. You started the game with a hero robot that had a special weapon ability and he could build basic stuff. He built iron extractors on certain resource spots. He could build basic builders and buildings. Basic builders could then build advanced builders and so on. The game advanced to the point were all the land was made of iron (so you could place iron extractors everywere) and you could build stealth bombers and other advanced machineries. All units except the hero had experience rating (normal, bronze, silver and gold).
    The second game in the series had different heroes, one for each element. They also had a special attack and a certain ability. The earth king had the ability to ressurect freshly dead creatures (or permanent skeletons). Some special units were kind of like weather witches that swept enemies with a tornado. The water hero was a kind of mermaid that swam. The first water unit that acted as a scout was a parrot. The ultimate creatures were dragons (that also gained experience). The resource in this one was a kind of mana extractor and mages increased the extraction. The air hero flew and the main defensive towers for air were a kind of stone throwing treants.
    Please, if anyone knows the name I would be grateful. Thank you.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

I do believe that is Total Annihilation.

And the second game (more of a spinoff) I think is Total Annihilation: Kingdoms
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

alright, let's try again

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    I've been trying to remember an old Sega Megadrive game I played as a kid. I only remember one tiny detail of the whole thing: at the end of the second(? almost sure) level, there is a catapult with a sign with a downward red arrow next to it, instructing you to press the down button. If you do so, you jump onto the catapult and shoot yourself into the next level. I believe it was a castle you see in the background, all kinda fuzzy

That's it, all I know. I think the character you played was human, or maybe not
    Anyone, please? I googled like mad for this game, even went trough a video with a picture of every single Sega Megadrive game ever, no luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.